HoopLife Forums

The opportunity to talk about issues affecting Canadian basketball from coast-to-coast

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Practices During Exam Week

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
breakercoach

PostSubject: Practices During Exam Week   Thu Jan 26, 2012 2:48 pm

Do most schhols have a "no practice" policy during exam week?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
poolie

PostSubject: JMH   Thu Jan 26, 2012 6:16 pm

NO, but you cant make manditory
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CoachDJR

PostSubject: Re: Practices During Exam Week   Thu Jan 26, 2012 6:48 pm

Most schools I've coached or worked at have had policies about no formal or mandatory practice but optional open gyms were allowed. I've also worked with teams whose schools shut down the gym to players outright.

Regardless have never worked with a team where you could run regular practice or schedule mandatory practice during exam week.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Coachmac

PostSubject: Re: Practices During Exam Week   Thu Jan 26, 2012 7:50 pm

CoachDJR wrote:
Most schools I've coached or worked at have had policies about no formal or mandatory practice but optional open gyms were allowed. I've also worked with teams whose schools shut down the gym to players outright.

Regardless have never worked with a team where you could run regular practice or schedule mandatory practice during exam week.

Ours were optional, this week, but we decided not to have any until tonight, anyway. Back at it tomorrow and Saturday.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.homesmoncton.com
breakercoach

PostSubject: Re: Practices During Exam Week   Fri Jan 27, 2012 7:43 am

I guess it just does not make sense to me that all of the studies show that physical activity actually enhances learning and then we shut down gyms to those who want to use them. 2 or 3 1.5hour practices through exam week would actually help not hinder.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Metta Peace

PostSubject: Re: Practices During Exam Week   Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:42 am

breakercoach wrote:
I guess it just does not make sense to me that all of the studies show that physical activity actually enhances learning and then we shut down gyms to those who want to use them. 2 or 3 1.5hour practices through exam week would actually help not hinder.

Way too many restrictions in order to coach effectively through the NBIAA and schools. Rent out the schools for practice and games. Become Club Teams through BNB. Less hassles with policies and travel, etc. Hockey can go under the CAHA , Volleyball under VNB, Soccer under SNB.etc. All the organiizations are in place.. Enough is Enough. Club model works well in other places.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Metta Peace

PostSubject: Re: Practices During Exam Week   Fri Jan 27, 2012 12:05 pm

Metta Peace wrote:
breakercoach wrote:

Way too many restrictions in order to coach effectively through the NBIAA and schools. Rent out the schools for practice and games. Become Club Teams through BNB. Less hassles with policies and travel, etc. Hockey can go under the CAHA , Volleyball under VNB, Soccer under SNB.etc. All the organiizations are in place.. Enough is Enough. Club model works well in other places.

Then again. We are only talking about Practice, Practice Man, Practice, Not the game, Not the game, but Practice, Practice, Practice Man. Were talking about Practice.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
breakercoach

PostSubject: Re: Practices During Exam Week   Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:34 pm

I think strong consideration should be given to schools getting completely out of the business of interscholastic sports and going to a club format.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
halfhobbit

PostSubject: Re: Practices During Exam Week   Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:51 pm

breakercoach wrote:
I think strong consideration should be given to schools getting completely out of the business of interscholastic sports and going to a club format.

The problem I see with completely going with Clubs is that students that miss school due to non-school events have to worry about affecting exemptions. I have a nephew who speed skated, thus any time he missed school for a meet was counted against his exemptions, however any student missing school for a school did not have it affect their exemptions.

Just something to keep in mind.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CoachDJR

PostSubject: Re: Practices During Exam Week   Fri Jan 27, 2012 6:47 pm

breakercoach wrote:

While I totally understand where frustration and sentiment like this comes from, I need to disagree. I coach both club sports and high school sports and its two totally different animals.

IMO I would say 9 of 10 kids that want to play club sports its about playing those sports and being involved in that sport for a variety of reasons. I think when you look at the kids province wide who play sports for their school the reasons would more commonly be representing their school, be involved in their schools, building the extra curriculars, and on and on. While the very best players, teams and schools in all sports still take it seriously as a sport you don't have clubs in all the communities you high school teams. The reason being that school sports means so many different things in different places.

Whether it is keeping kids involved, making connections for schools and communities, tradition, chances to do or try something, links between students and academics through sports or any of the other plethora of reasons schools run sports teams saying everyone should just go club doesn't address those.

Rural schools probably don't have the budgets or resources to run and maintain mulitple clubs and organizations, but one school with a AD can find coaches and manage teams for kids while the NBIAA and conferences take care of most of the rest of the leg work. Let's not get into costs and access.

I coach club and it is enjoyable because it is about the sport and kids who want to play it. NBIAA and school sports has all sorts of complications and hoops to jump through because of priorities and philosophical differences that make the focus less on the sport. That split focus though is what makes school sports unique and important.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
GM Breaker '84-'88

PostSubject: Re: Practices During Exam Week   Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:51 pm

It is Student Athlete not the other way around....
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Metta Peace

PostSubject: Re: Practices During Exam Week   Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:23 pm

CoachDJR wrote:
breakercoach wrote:

While I totally understand where frustration and sentiment like this comes from, I need to disagree. I coach both club sports and high school sports and its two totally different animals.

IMO I would say 9 of 10 kids that want to play club sports its about playing those sports and being involved in that sport for a variety of reasons. I think when you look at the kids province wide who play sports for their school the reasons would more commonly be representing their school, be involved in their schools, building the extra curriculars, and on and on. While the very best players, teams and schools in all sports still take it seriously as a sport you don't have clubs in all the communities you high school teams. The reason being that school sports means so many different things in different places.

Whether it is keeping kids involved, making connections for schools and communities, tradition, chances to do or try something, links between students and academics through sports or any of the other plethora of reasons schools run sports teams saying everyone should just go club doesn't address those.

Rural schools probably don't have the budgets or resources to run and maintain mulitple clubs and organizations, but one school with a AD can find coaches and manage teams for kids while the NBIAA and conferences take care of most of the rest of the leg work. Let's not get into costs and access.

I coach club and it is enjoyable because it is about the sport and kids who want to play it. NBIAA and school sports has all sorts of complications and hoops to jump through because of priorities and philosophical differences that make the focus less on the sport. That split focus though is what makes school sports unique and important.

This uniqueness , keeping kids involved, making connections for schools, etc, etc..Not a real concern to the midget hockey players who jumped very quickly out of the high school ranks to join the midget program which is essentially club format. It has destroyed high school hockey in the rural areas...Maybe they just didn't like all the policies and rules of high school sports. Also, they did get connected through the schools and recognized at assemblies by being community members. Not concerned about exemptions, attendance ,etc. Way too many loop holes in those policies as well. I also coached club teams and if the provincial structure was there..it would fly.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
baller24

PostSubject: Re: Practices During Exam Week   Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:30 pm

Of course the midget kids jumped ship for hockey in rural communities. They get to play longer, play more games, and do not have to worry about all of the foolishness from the NBIAA.

They have always jumped ship in the big centers too. The high school hockey players are all the players that could not make midget AAA programs. The great thing about the big centers is they still have enough good players to field competitive teams.

The small towns will eventually lose their school hockey programs. Max of 40 games compared to 65-70 playing on club teams. And no restrictions on when they can start or finish.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
baller24

PostSubject: Re: Practices During Exam Week   Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:30 pm

I really do not know how hockey has come into play on this site, but I guess we do live in Canada.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
GM Breaker '84-'88

PostSubject: Re: Practices During Exam Week   Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:49 pm

baller24 wrote:
I really do not know how hockey has come into play on this site, but I guess we do live in Canada.

Yup - we do. With the new rink on Grand Manan, basketball will be an after thought...I never thought I'd see the day...although, my Dad predicted that 5 years ago....looks like he was right.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Metta Peace

PostSubject: Re: Practices During Exam Week   Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:12 pm

baller24 wrote:

This give a clear cut example of how Club teams can work and give an option to High School basketball programs. This topic has come up before and basketball isn't ready for it yet. The continuous frustration will no doubt lead in that direction in time. Two basketball programs in the same season, Club and High School. Along with midget and high school hockey...hope we have lots of bodies.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Metta Peace

PostSubject: Re: Practices During Exam Week   Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:22 pm

GM Breaker '84-'88 wrote:
baller24 wrote:

Yup - we do. With the new rink on Grand Manan, basketball will be an after thought...I never thought I'd see the day...although, my Dad predicted that 5 years ago....looks like he was right.

I love both sports. So what is the big attraction with hockey? Is it that it is out of the school system (except for some AA - AAA teams that are hanging in there) and policy, rules and discipline have a different level of acceptance.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
lebronrocks

PostSubject: Re: Practices During Exam Week   Sat Jan 28, 2012 11:53 am

The discussion of club sport vs school sports is not a new one , but as things continue to evolve it appears the club system is the road we we are headed down. Hockey , Track and field , volleyball and soccer are well on their way. Basketball ( and Football ) is the last high school sport left where the BEST players in the province play. The best high school hockey players play in AAA midget or junior programs , the leftovers play high school. It wasn't that way 20 yrs ago. Volleyball clubs are taking the best players are going to national tournaments rather than compete in NBIAA provincials ( ESA boys last year for example ) Soccer does the same thing , soccer clubs play way more competitive schedules that nbiaa soccer teams and when players have to choose , they pick club. Basketball is the last one left. We do a much better job than any other sport on promoting our sport. The NBIAA Final 8 is the best showcase for high school sport , with football a close second.
However , the fact that we can debate practices during exams , shows that we are beginning to lose sight of what high school sports is supposed to be about. About student athletes . About making sport an extension of the classroom , teaching kids skills they need to be valued memebers of our society. Things like time management , establishing priorities ( the old , faith,family, school , sport and then everything else...we all preach ) sportsmanship , teamwork .... etc. Club programs are more about developing elite athletes for provincial/olympic level programs. While some of those skills mentioned above are encouraged in club programs they are definitely not the focus .
Skills that are ( or unfortunately used to be ( ?) ) inherent in what schools and teachers have been trying to do for years, and school sports were a natural extension of reaching those educational goals . Because back in the day, teachers were heavily involved in these sports. Not so much any more and as a result we started down the club system road.
Sorry for the rant , but i agree the move toward club programs is already started and probably inevitable(spelling :-) just not sure its a good thing.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
poolie

PostSubject: Good idea   Sat Jan 28, 2012 12:00 pm

For a lot of kids, the no practices or optional practices are a good idea. I know a couple of kids who wouldnt study because they love basketball so much. They wouldnt study at all.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Coachmac

PostSubject: Re: Practices During Exam Week   Sat Jan 28, 2012 12:05 pm

poolie wrote:
For a lot of kids, the no practices or optional practices are a good idea. I know a couple of kids who wouldnt study because they love basketball so much. They wouldnt study at all.

While I support optional practices, the kids that wouldn't study because they had basketball, still won't study. They will be on Facebook, instead.
Back to top Go down
poolie

PostSubject: Re: Practices During Exam Week   Sat Jan 28, 2012 12:11 pm

That is true, damn electronics.....They should ban that stuff altogether.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Coachmac

PostSubject: Re: Practices During Exam Week   Sat Jan 28, 2012 12:12 pm

poolie wrote:
That is true, damn electronics.....They should ban that stuff altogether.

Let's not get crazy, now.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Practices During Exam Week   Today at 9:08 am

Back to top Go down

Practices During Exam Week
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1