HoopLife Forums

The opportunity to talk about issues affecting Canadian basketball from coast-to-coast

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Howie's assessment of AA v AAA this year...

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
okanaganbball

PostSubject: Howie's assessment of AA v AAA this year...   Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:21 pm

http://blogs.theprovince.com/2012/01/25/double-as-bumper-crop-of-teams-might-be-the-best-in-the-history-of-b-c-boys-hoops/

Quote :
Coaches are at a loss to explain precisely why, but there is no question that B.C. Double A basketball is at its strongest level in decades, perhaps ever.

The middle of B.C.’s three tiers, based on a Grade 11 and 12 male student population of between 81 and 225 students, has produced a bevy of teams this season which are making their mark against the best of the Triple A tier.

Proof?

Twelve days ago, the B.C. Double A No. 1 Mission Roadrunners — led by its duo of Luke Morris and Luc Comeau — went to Vancouver College and beat the then No. 4-ranked Triple A Fighting Irish 73-60.

What do you think? Is it that AA is that much better this year than in years past? Or is it a down year for AAA? Or is a combination of both?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
mikeyb

PostSubject: Re: Howie's assessment of AA v AAA this year...   Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:33 am

Parody. That seems to be the main thing I am noticing this year. Kelowna and Pitt have been the most consistant teams this year. Van College too and Grove. Other than those 4, it seems like you have about 15-20 teams that could beat up any of the other teams. New West beating Burnaby South ? Seemed like a huge upset until I saw that New West is 1st place in the Burnaby/New West league.

I can't speak for any AA teams but another reason could be that a lot of the top schools are drawing more and better players to their catchment area. Call it recruting, call it whatever you want.. it is becoming less and less frequent to see different school's anywhere near the top of the AAA rankings. If I am a AA squad who has always been competitive against AA and AAA teams, why would I play AAA and go up against your marque AAA teams ? I used to be the one guy who would rip AA teams from sandbagging. The more I think about it, can you blame AA team's for playing AA? I feel worse for the teams who are forced to play AAA basketball and either never get a shot at going to the BC's, or even having a good team.

Also if your say... Mission/CW Graham in the valley... or King George/STM.... or SMU/Brentwood College... Why would you play in the AAA Valley's, Mainland's or Island's when there is no guarantee you will even make it out of your playoff's ??
Back to top Go down
View user profile
KTownBeatDown

PostSubject: Re: Howie's assessment of AA v AAA this year...   Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:37 pm

mikeyb wrote:
Why would you play in the AAA Valley's, Mainland's or Island's when there is no guarantee you will even make it out of your playoff's ??

I think its all about Development & Exposure.. Maybe this year is an enomaly, maybe parody is where we are headed. If it is not heading that way then coaches should strive to put their teams up against the best in the province to try to develop kids and best prepare them for the next level. Also unless it changes, the AAA league gets way more exposure and press..Your players work their buttts off and deserve to get seen by as many CIS programs etc. as possible. I dont want to get into a High School vs Club or Rep debate for what system generates the most exposure as I think they are all key and there is enough of that discussion already. Whichever of these systems you think generates more exposure, AAA High School provides much more than AA. IMO
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sportvictoria

PostSubject: Re: Howie's assessment of AA v AAA this year...   Thu Feb 02, 2012 4:28 pm

KTownBeatDown wrote:
mikeyb wrote:
Why would you play in the AAA Valley's, Mainland's or Island's when there is no guarantee you will even make it out of your playoff's ??

I think its all about Development & Exposure.. Maybe this year is an enomaly, maybe parody is where we are headed. If it is not heading that way then coaches should strive to put their teams up against the best in the province to try to develop kids and best prepare them for the next level. Also unless it changes, the AAA league gets way more exposure and press..Your players work their buttts off and deserve to get seen by as many CIS programs etc. as possible. I dont want to get into a High School vs Club or Rep debate for what system generates the most exposure as I think they are all key and there is enough of that discussion already. Whichever of these systems you think generates more exposure, AAA High School provides much more than AA. IMO

I believe the above comment to be a somewhat inaccurate. The idea that there is more exposure in "AAA" than "AA" as to being seen by college coaches. I agree that there is more press in "AAA" - but not to the point that it helps or hinders a post-secondary coach from knowing about a player.

I was on the phone the other day with a Lower Mainland post-seocondary coach and we were talking potential players for him next year and we had to cut the conversation short as he was heading out to a "AA" game to look at a player.

In BC - with networking that is in place, you don't get missed no matter where you play. If you are an "A", "AA" or "AAA" player, if you're good enough, you will be noticed by the college coaches.

Playing on the Provincial team is also something that is looked very highly upon by post-secondary coaches, that and having good grades Smile

When I'm asked about players, one of the first things the post-secondary coaches will ask... "What are his grades like?"

Lyle Dhur
Sportvictoria
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://Sportvictoria.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Howie's assessment of AA v AAA this year...   Today at 4:41 am

Back to top Go down

Howie's assessment of AA v AAA this year...
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1