HoopLife Forums

The opportunity to talk about issues affecting Canadian basketball from coast-to-coast
 
HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 
 

 Tamanawis Basketball Arrested in Kelowna?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
VanCityBallSoHard



Posts : 1
Join date : 2012-02-03

PostSubject: Tamanawis Basketball Arrested in Kelowna?   Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:44 am

smh .... the Tamanawis Basketball team got arrested in Kelowna for walking around with toy guns trying to scare people in Kelowna:| Saw that on the news today... just had to post this up..
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sportvictoria



Posts : 544
Join date : 2010-11-28
Age : 47
Location : Victoria BC Canada

PostSubject: Re: Tamanawis Basketball Arrested in Kelowna?   Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:07 am

VanCityBallSoHard wrote:
smh .... the Tamanawis Basketball team got arrested in Kelowna for walking around with toy guns trying to scare people in Kelowna:| Saw that on the news today... just had to post this up..

Link with video
http://www.castanet.net/edition/news-story--1-.htm
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ow-vig4XnZ8&feature=player_embedded


Update: Toy gun takedown
by Kelly Hayes & Wayne Moore - Story: 70498
Feb 2, 2012 / 2:29 pm

It was all a big misunderstanding.

Several members of a basketball team from Surrey were briefly handcuffed, searched and questioned Thursday afternoon after witnesses reported seeing someone with a gun.

Police, at the Capri Mall on another matter, apparently saw someone put a gun in the waistband of their pants.

RCMP then followed the group from the Capri to a Subway Restaurant at the corner of Gordon Drive and Lawrence Avenue shortly before 2 p.m. and called for backup.

They surrounded the building and waited for patrons and staff to leave before cuffing the individuals involved.

It turns out the individuals had purchased cap guns at the Dollar Store in the Capri Mall.

They admitted to shooting the guns in the air.

The RCMP helicopter, service dogs and at least a dozen cruisers were involved in the incident.

Gordon Drive between Bernard and Leon was blocked off during the incident.

Police confiscated the cap guns.

The teens are members of the Tamanawis Wildcats, in Kelowna for the Western Canada Boys Basketball Tournament at KSS.


Last edited by Sportvictoria on Fri Feb 03, 2012 3:02 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://Sportvictoria.com
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Tamanawis Basketball Arrested in Kelowna?   Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:59 am

Racial profiling, perhaps? Though shooting the guns was stupid.
Back to top Go down
Sportvictoria



Posts : 544
Join date : 2010-11-28
Age : 47
Location : Victoria BC Canada

PostSubject: Re: Tamanawis Basketball Arrested in Kelowna?   Fri Feb 03, 2012 3:01 am

KD35 wrote:
Racial profiling, perhaps? Though shooting the guns was stupid.

REALLY bad decision to buy them in the first place!

Those guns looked real in the video - you see those from a minimal distance and you'd think they are real.

Apparently they also took off the red caps on the end that are there to make it easier to see they are cap guns. Now WHY in the world would they do that... another stupid decision.

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://Sportvictoria.com
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Tamanawis Basketball Arrested in Kelowna?   Fri Feb 03, 2012 3:15 am

[quote="Sportvictoria"][quote="KD35"]Racial profiling, perhaps? Though shooting the guns was stupid. [/quote]

[u][b]REALLY[/b][/u] bad decision to buy them in the first place!

Those guns looked real in the video - you see those from a minimal distance and you'd think they are real.

Apparently they also took off the red caps on the end that are there to make it easier to see they are cap guns. Now WHY in the world would they do that... another stupid decision.

[/quote]

Agree with you on all your points. Too bad that a bunch of basketball players and a whole basketball program had to be embarrassed liked that.

(Note: I edited my response to remove the reference to Kelowna and the police reaction. Didn't want to make it look like I thought the people of Kelowna are racist. I have lived in that city and they are not.)


Last edited by KD35 on Fri Feb 03, 2012 3:27 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Sportvictoria



Posts : 544
Join date : 2010-11-28
Age : 47
Location : Victoria BC Canada

PostSubject: Re: Tamanawis Basketball Arrested in Kelowna?   Fri Feb 03, 2012 3:25 am

KD35 wrote:
Sportvictoria wrote:
KD35 wrote:
Racial profiling, perhaps? Though shooting the guns was stupid.

REALLY bad decision to buy them in the first place!

Those guns looked real in the video - you see those from a minimal distance and you'd think they are real.

Apparently they also took off the red caps on the end that are there to make it easier to see they are cap guns. Now WHY in the world would they do that... another stupid decision.


Agree with you on all your points but I've lived in Kelowna and I'm pretty sure the color of those kids' skin had something to do with the severity of the reaction by the police. And I'm not saying it isn't justified in light of the gang shooting that occured in the summer. Too bad that a bunch of basketball players and a whole basketball program had to be embarrassed liked that.


About 10 years ago - when I was talking my team through airport security (into the US) at YVR... AFTER 9/11... I reminded the kids to be respectful and not to say anything stupid as we approached the ARMED US customs agents and security guards wearing body armour... well the one kid I was worried about made a bomb comment, intentionally loud enough for the security to hear... let's just say things did not go well.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://Sportvictoria.com
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Tamanawis Basketball Arrested in Kelowna?   Fri Feb 03, 2012 3:30 am

Did they let you into the US?
Back to top Go down
BallIsLifeDelta



Posts : 14
Join date : 2011-02-12

PostSubject: Re: Tamanawis Basketball Arrested in Kelowna?   Fri Feb 03, 2012 3:31 am

u got to be kidding me....that program must be really emberassed right now
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sportvictoria



Posts : 544
Join date : 2010-11-28
Age : 47
Location : Victoria BC Canada

PostSubject: Re: Tamanawis Basketball Arrested in Kelowna?   Fri Feb 03, 2012 3:39 am

KD35 wrote:
Did they let you into the US?


Ya we did - they basically just took a strip of the kid, scared the crap out of him. The kid really was an immature tool.

What people don't realise is that when you enter the US security zone at YVR, you are on "US soil" - you screw up there and you're off to US Federal prison in Seattle. And you DO NOT have the same rights as a US citizen.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://Sportvictoria.com
Behindthearc



Posts : 25
Join date : 2012-01-29

PostSubject: Re: Tamanawis Basketball Arrested in Kelowna?   Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:01 pm

OMG....how embarrasing.....
I highly doubt racial profiling has anything to do with it. More likely age and gender profiling. There was a horrific shooting in kelowna last summer perpetrated by YOUNG MALES supposedly from the lower mainland...if the kelowna cops see a group of young guys reportedly carrying weapons, they are going to react swift and hard!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Trey



Posts : 89
Join date : 2010-04-04

PostSubject: Re: Tamanawis Basketball Arrested in Kelowna?   Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:52 pm

The only profiling going on here was the "We saw you carrying a gun around around and because we are cops and guns are illegal you don't get to finish your lunch" kind of profiling. The Mother in the video who played the race card should be the one apologizing. Very funny stuff.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lefon Jang



Posts : 84
Join date : 2010-11-02

PostSubject: Re: Tamanawis Basketball Arrested in Kelowna?   Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:25 pm

I watched them play against Saints last week. They didn't bring their game on that day. It was a packed gym and everyone was all geared up for a show down against one of the top ranked team. Tamanawis had all kind of trouble getting their offense going, weren't making any shots at all. Saints on the other hand probably played their best game all season. But seriously, can't imagine anyone would call the police on this group of kids. 
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sportvictoria



Posts : 544
Join date : 2010-11-28
Age : 47
Location : Victoria BC Canada

PostSubject: Re: Tamanawis Basketball Arrested in Kelowna?   Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:35 pm

Trey wrote:
The only profiling going on here was the "We saw you carrying a gun around around and because we are cops and guns are illegal you don't get to finish your lunch" kind of profiling. The Mother in the video who played the race card should be the one apologizing. Very funny stuff.


She didn't say 'brown', she said 'wrong'. I thought it was 'brown' too but when you listen to it carefully you can hear it's the word 'wrong'.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://Sportvictoria.com
Sportvictoria



Posts : 544
Join date : 2010-11-28
Age : 47
Location : Victoria BC Canada

PostSubject: Re: Tamanawis Basketball Arrested in Kelowna?   Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:36 pm

Lefon Jang wrote:
I watched them play against Saints last week. They didn't bring their game on that day. It was a packed gym and everyone was all geared up for a show down against one of the top ranked team. Tamanawis had all kind of trouble getting their offense going, weren't making any shots at all. Saints on the other hand probably played their best game all season. But seriously, can't imagine anyone would call the police on this group of kids. 


Nobody called the police on them. Read the story that castanet.net did.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://Sportvictoria.com
mikeyb



Posts : 154
Join date : 2009-11-23

PostSubject: Re: Tamanawis Basketball Arrested in Kelowna?   Fri Feb 03, 2012 4:40 pm

Regardless if you agree with the players or the police, you all have to admit that what the "guilty" players did was dumb.

I do have much sympathy for the players of the team who probably either had no idea what was going on, or couldn't do anything about it.

Having being a baseball coach for years and done several overnight trips, I even feel sorry for Grewal the coach. I am sure he had the "no drugs or alcohol, cerfew, room check etc" speech but no coach says "please use common sense". It will be interesting to see how the team is disciplined.

Who knows. It is situations like this that can either break a team or somehow bring them closer together. We will soon see!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Tomcat



Posts : 9
Join date : 2012-01-08

PostSubject: Re: Tamanawis Basketball Arrested in Kelowna?   Fri Feb 03, 2012 6:15 pm

Racial Profiling! Please tell me ur joking! Maybe a police officer should have walked up to the subway and said, " excuse me boys, could you please refrain from pointing those guns around!" then what if it was real and the cop gets blown away or what if one of the kids points the gun at the cop, then what do u think would happen! Excellent job by the RCMP to diffuse the situation peacefully. So what if someone was temporarily cuffed! Better than a different scenario.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CharlesII



Posts : 74
Join date : 2010-03-31

PostSubject: Re: Tamanawis Basketball Arrested in Kelowna?   Fri Feb 03, 2012 6:35 pm

Sportvictoria wrote:
Trey wrote:
The only profiling going on here was the "We saw you carrying a gun around around and because we are cops and guns are illegal you don't get to finish your lunch" kind of profiling. The Mother in the video who played the race card should be the one apologizing. Very funny stuff.


She didn't say 'brown', she said 'wrong'. I thought it was 'brown' too but when you listen to it carefully you can hear it's the word 'wrong'.


The word wrong ? It is pretty obvious the word brown was used. She said it like"BRUNG" there is no way in hell she said wrong. Good try. Also, it wouldn't make sense if the word wrong was used.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
And 1



Posts : 161
Join date : 2011-01-03

PostSubject: Re: Tamanawis Basketball Arrested in Kelowna?   Fri Feb 03, 2012 7:00 pm

Just watched the video myself and your totally right. Mrs. Dulay did say " Brown " She had one thing right in her interview and that was there team should be embaressed.I will be curious to see if there were any suspensions of boys for todays game versus Kits.



TextBook wrote:
Sportvictoria wrote:
Trey wrote:
The only profiling going on here was the "We saw you carrying a gun around around and because we are cops and guns are illegal you don't get to finish your lunch" kind of profiling. The Mother in the video who played the race card should be the one apologizing. Very funny stuff.


She didn't say 'brown', she said 'wrong'. I thought it was 'brown' too but when you listen to it carefully you can hear it's the word 'wrong'.


The word wrong ? It is pretty obvious the word brown was used. She said it like"BRUNG" there is no way in hell she said wrong. Good try. Also, it wouldn't make sense if the word wrong was used.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
mikeyb



Posts : 154
Join date : 2009-11-23

PostSubject: Re: Tamanawis Basketball Arrested in Kelowna?   Fri Feb 03, 2012 7:03 pm

Looks like the main players played for Tanamawis in a 71-69 loss to Kits.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kyle.J



Posts : 16
Join date : 2011-02-12

PostSubject: Re: Tamanawis Basketball Arrested in Kelowna?   Fri Feb 03, 2012 8:55 pm

SMH this is sad.... This whole story actually made me sad. Grow up kids! This isn't Compton, its not Harlem guns are NOT cool!! with all these people in the South Asian community getting their lives taken away because of the gang violence going on kids should stay away from this type of stuff, it gives us a bad image and a bad wrap..... why do you think so many of our great East Indian ballers don't get to go on and play in University ball and end up sitting at home, its stuff like this that keeps the scouts away.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kyle.J



Posts : 16
Join date : 2011-02-12

PostSubject: Re: Tamanawis Basketball Arrested in Kelowna?   Fri Feb 03, 2012 8:59 pm

The lady at the end does say "Brown" and it wasn't racism LOL are you serious? If some kids walking around with a gun that clearly looks like a gun, I'm calling the cops too. The cops got a calll saying we saw a gun, they didn't know it was a toy gun.... which is even more humiliating for the team. This team could have been known for winning the BC's now they have this incident running around with them.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sportvictoria



Posts : 544
Join date : 2010-11-28
Age : 47
Location : Victoria BC Canada

PostSubject: Re: Tamanawis Basketball Arrested in Kelowna?   Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:02 pm

TextBook wrote:
Sportvictoria wrote:
Trey wrote:
The only profiling going on here was the "We saw you carrying a gun around around and because we are cops and guns are illegal you don't get to finish your lunch" kind of profiling. The Mother in the video who played the race card should be the one apologizing. Very funny stuff.


She didn't say 'brown', she said 'wrong'. I thought it was 'brown' too but when you listen to it carefully you can hear it's the word 'wrong'.


The word wrong ? It is pretty obvious the word brown was used. She said it like"BRUNG" there is no way in hell she said wrong. Good try. Also, it wouldn't make sense if the word wrong was used.


No way - she said "maybe they think we're wrong people". You can clearly pick up the 'g' sound at the end of the word. She did not say 'brown'. If first thought it was brown but I listened more closely and it's wrong. That and I went to the computer with the better speakers Smile

I've talked to this lady on the phone a couple of times - she is VERY hard to understand (heavy accent) and she is not strong on the English language. Note - I'm defending her in any way - her idea of an applogy from the cops is really stupid. They should pay the bill of thousands of dollars of the take-down for their kids being dumb.

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://Sportvictoria.com
Sportvictoria



Posts : 544
Join date : 2010-11-28
Age : 47
Location : Victoria BC Canada

PostSubject: Re: Tamanawis Basketball Arrested in Kelowna?   Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:14 pm

Kyle.J wrote:
The lady at the end does say "Brown" and it wasn't racism LOL are you serious? If some kids walking around with a gun that clearly looks like a gun, I'm calling the cops too. The cops got a calll saying we saw a gun, they didn't know it was a toy gun.... which is even more humiliating for the team. This team could have been known for winning the BC's now they have this incident running around with them.


Nobody called the cops. Read the story that Castanet.net did.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://Sportvictoria.com
FVCOACH



Posts : 1
Join date : 2012-02-06

PostSubject: Re: Tamanawis Basketball Arrested in Kelowna?   Mon Feb 06, 2012 4:26 pm

Look at this disgrace how have these kids not been suspended what is the school thinking. Athletes are not above the schools code of conduct and now they are asking parents and kids to come support the team at their game this week! The school and the city have been spat on in the media and the indo community has been made to look very streotypical and the school will just stand by and let it happen!! I know most of the players are all part of Athelite Club team and the clubs co founder is the coach but wow this is horrible waking up monday morning to the papers saying these things. School needs to look in the mirror and what the cops did was exactly how they should have acted those who say other wise are ignorant there was 0 racial profiling i try to avoid going on forums but the basketball community should be outraged that these kids go to finish the tournament and are now allowed to play like nothing has happend dispicable i would never let my team get away with something like this players should not be allowed to play who were the ones carrying concealed "guns" in their pants come on district wake up!

-Outraged parent and Coach
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sportvictoria



Posts : 544
Join date : 2010-11-28
Age : 47
Location : Victoria BC Canada

PostSubject: Re: Tamanawis Basketball Arrested in Kelowna?   Mon Feb 06, 2012 5:18 pm

FVCOACH wrote:
Look at this disgrace how have these kids not been suspended what is the school thinking. Athletes are not above the schools code of conduct and now they are asking parents and kids to come support the team at their game this week! The school and the city have been spat on in the media and the indo community has been made to look very streotypical and the school will just stand by and let it happen!! I know most of the players are all part of Athelite Club team and the clubs co founder is the coach but wow this is horrible waking up monday morning to the papers saying these things. School needs to look in the mirror and what the cops did was exactly how they should have acted those who say other wise are ignorant there was 0 racial profiling i try to avoid going on forums but the basketball community should be outraged that these kids go to finish the tournament and are now allowed to play like nothing has happend dispicable i would never let my team get away with something like this players should not be allowed to play who were the ones carrying concealed "guns" in their pants come on district wake up!

-Outraged parent and Coach

Surrey Leader's story - there is some other info in this story that was not in the first release by Castanet.net
http://www.bclocalnews.com/news/138664069.html?mobile=true


I can't speak for the coaches of this team or the school they go to.

I REALLY was shocked to find out that the mother, supposed to be the chaperone, had bought one of the guns and had it in her purse. Given her position, there was a very poor decision.

When I coached we had a standing rules for all teams in the school - when you leave the school grounds as part of a school event, ALL SCHOOL RULES APPLY. If you can't do it at school - you could not do it on a road trip.

Years ago I know of a school band was on a trip to Japan and a kid was caught with a beer - he was a flight home the next day. Parents had to pay for it. Ouch.

The fall out over this will be interesting. Though I doubt we'll ever get the full story.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://Sportvictoria.com
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: Tamanawis Basketball Arrested in Kelowna?   Today at 10:02 pm

Back to top Go down
 
Tamanawis Basketball Arrested in Kelowna?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next
 Similar topics
-
» Western Canada Basketball Tournament in Kelowna
» Recruits/transfers
» 5th AnnualPanthers/Falcons Boys Senior Basketball Tournament
» NBers looking for new basketball shoes
» St. Patrick's Irish Junior Boys Basketball Season Kickoff Tournament

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
HoopLife Forums :: High School :: British Columbia :: BC Seniors-
Jump to: