HoopLife Forums

The opportunity to talk about issues affecting Canadian basketball from coast-to-coast

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Tamanawis Basketball Arrested in Kelowna?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
hoopster

PostSubject: Re: Tamanawis Basketball Arrested in Kelowna?   Mon Feb 06, 2012 5:36 pm

To FV Coach & Sportvictoria

I can not understand why the Tamanwis players would be suspended. Buying toy guns, taking off the red cap and showing them in public are all stupid things to do, but I know that there will be consequences for the 2 players of the 12 or so on the team. The entire team have already payed the price and it showed in their play at the Westerns.
Is it not possible that the mom that had the toy gun in her purse took it away from one of the players? The 2 players that bought the gun have a lot of healing to do with their team, school and community. This was a bad decision by 2 kids, that should make us wonder why realistic looking toy guns are available to buy in the first place?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sportvictoria

PostSubject: Re: Tamanawis Basketball Arrested in Kelowna?   Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:01 pm

hoopster wrote:
To FV Coach & Sportvictoria

I can not understand why the Tamanwis players would be suspended. Buying toy guns, taking off the red cap and showing them in public are all stupid things to do, but I know that there will be consequences for the 2 players of the 12 or so on the team. The entire team have already payed the price and it showed in their play at the Westerns.
Is it not possible that the mom that had the toy gun in her purse took it away from one of the players? The 2 players that bought the gun have a lot of healing to do with their team, school and community. This was a bad decision by 2 kids, that should make us wonder why realistic looking toy guns are available to buy in the first place?

I have not made any comment about the players being suspended or not.

There is no question it was a poor decision for the individuals that made the purchases.

I have not read anywhere that two kids were found to have the guns. The Surrey Leader's story was the first place I saw that one of the guns was found in the chaperone/mother's purse.

I don't know if the chaperone/mother took one of the guns from someone on the team or not - if she did, why not take the other too? It is my understanding that the one the cops found in the mother's purse was still in it's packaging, however I also don't know if it had been opened before the police got to it. I mention this because both the guns shown by police had the red tips removed. These tips are in place to make it obvious that they are toys. To the defenders... why would one removed them?

There are several (confirmed) situations in North American where children have been killed because someone mistakes a realistic toy gun as real. California introduced a law in the 90's that large red end-caps be placed on all replica guns to make it harder to mistake them as real.

I'm interested to hear others opinions as to how they would have, as if they were the coach, handled this situation.

I personally would not have allowed offending players, including those that were there at the purchase and did not stop it or try to stop it (guilty of complicity), to play the weekend - making them sit in street clothes at the end of the bench. Also not allowing them to be invovled in team activites (staying in their rooms at the hotel when not at games) for the weekend.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://Sportvictoria.com
outlawpete

PostSubject: Re: Tamanawis Basketball Arrested in Kelowna?   Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:23 pm

Obviously they did something totally stupid and they should face some kind of punishment but they should alos be given a second chance to prove they just screwed up and then show they can make up for it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sportvictoria

PostSubject: Re: Tamanawis Basketball Arrested in Kelowna?   Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:26 pm

outlawpete wrote:
Obviously they did something totally stupid and they should face some kind of punishment but they should alos be given a second chance to prove they just screwed up and then show they can make up for it.

Absolutely given a 2nd chance. No question about it. It's not like they did something with real guns or were caught stealing or something truely grave.

But what kind of penalty would you have given if you were the coach?
Back to top Go down
vancity55555

PostSubject: Re: Tamanawis Basketball Arrested in Kelowna?   Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:45 pm

Sportvictoria wrote:
outlawpete wrote:

Absolutely given a 2nd chance. No question about it. It's not like they did something with real guns or were caught stealing or something truely grave.

They lost every game at the tourney. I think their play proves that they were a little shaken by this especially since they knocked off a couple big teams a few weeks before.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sportvictoria

PostSubject: Re: Tamanawis Basketball Arrested in Kelowna?   Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:10 pm

simren55555 wrote:
Sportvictoria wrote:
outlawpete wrote:

They lost every game at the tourney. I think their play proves that they were a little shaken by this especially since they knocked off a couple big teams a few weeks before.

Well... the previous Tuesday they were beat by St. George's by 31 points.

As far as the tourney goes, they still got to play each game.

If you feel that they should not be penalized, that's fair. I'm just throwing the question out to people that if THEY were the coach(es), what would they have done.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Tamanawis Basketball Arrested in Kelowna?   Today at 4:41 am

Back to top Go down

Tamanawis Basketball Arrested in Kelowna?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2