HoopLife Forums

The opportunity to talk about issues affecting Canadian basketball from coast-to-coast

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Jr Boys' Rankings 2011-2012

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
karnsharda12

PostSubject: Re: Jr Boys' Rankings 2011-2012   Wed Jan 18, 2012 1:12 pm

Again just want to point out the fact that if i dont get the scores of the game and the results they cannot be ranked teams like panorama delview and fleetwood have never sent me one game result
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Jr Boys' Rankings 2011-2012   Wed Jan 18, 2012 1:42 pm

karnsharda12 wrote:
Again just want to point out the fact that if i dont get the scores of the game and the results they cannot be ranked teams like panorama delview and fleetwood have never sent me one game result

I dont understand why is it so difficult to report the scores. Either the coaches have very little appetite for the rankings or they rather want to keep their team under the radar as these rankings are nothing more than a academic in their mind. What matters is the ranking before the provincials. If it is, they have a point too.
Back to top Go down
Sportvictoria

PostSubject: Re: Jr Boys' Rankings 2011-2012   Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:17 pm

edward wrote:
karnsharda12 wrote:

I dont understand why is it so difficult to report the scores. Either the coaches have very little appetite for the rankings or they rather want to keep their team under the radar as these rankings are nothing more than a academic in their mind. What matters is the ranking before the provincials. If it is, they have a point too.

Does not matter the level - getting coaches to submit their scores is quite difficult sometimes. Some coaches are really good about it... others are not.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://Sportvictoria.com
stocktonsshorts

PostSubject: Re: Jr Boys' Rankings 2011-2012   Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:52 pm

karnsharda12 wrote:

Karn,

do the coaches have to report the scores directly to you or is the report on hooplife enough? The reason I ask is that I have seen many scores reported here on this site. All of this aside I'm guessing that most coaches who don't report scores could care less about the rankings as they operate mostly as a bulls eye for other teams.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
karnsharda12

PostSubject: Re: Jr Boys' Rankings 2011-2012   Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:36 pm

I prefer the coaches submit them to me so they are official as sometimes hard to go by hearsay. Coaches are very busy and it is hard to always submit your scores at any level but it does leave people who do the rankings in tough spots. Rankings do matter as we are the ones who make the draw come provincials so the more we know how your team has done the better off you are. All the teams who happen to be at the top do send their scores in it does seem some coaches may not think there teams are deserving of being ranked as a coach you never want to "hype" your own team and usually think others are better especially at junior level
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Jr Boys' Rankings 2011-2012   Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:49 am

Okay, I get it Karn, you're only as good as the information you get. I thought you used the scores reported on hooplife in your rankings.

I also get that coming up with the rankings is an imperfect science but relying on coaches to report the scores may not be the best way. Not only do you have coaches that don't report scores but you may get coaches that only report their wins. IMO there's some valuable info reported here on the forum.
Back to top Go down
fraser valley

PostSubject: Re: Jr Boys' Rankings 2011-2012   Mon Jan 23, 2012 1:40 am

fundamentals wrote:
What about Delview? they beat Fleetwood earlier in the season. As for gleneagle, I believe they also beat Kits at the Charles Best tournament earlier in the year. As I wrote in my subject line: rankings, rankings, rankings who knows.

As for walnutfan's point about locks out of the valley...yikes, not sure if anyone's a lock, especially at the jr level. 32 teams make it into the regionals and anything can happen. Upsets, upsets, upsets.

As for the 3 berths for the FV, representation by population would suggest the valley should have 4 and the island 3. last year the island gets 3 plus a host. Yikes. I don't want to get into a long drawn out debate here (at the sr. level the island has been shafted the last few years due to the quality of teams that don't make the provincials), but the bigger your geographical region, the more berths a region should get.

I would prefer to see a wild card scenario where a back door game is played to gain that berth, rather than a committee or something decide based on a flawed system of strength of schedule, etc.

Panorama Ridge beat Deliew 64-37 in the Enver Creek Tournament. Both teams had all their players. Delview is a good team, Panorama is just much better.

Fleetwood is much better now than they were earlier in the season. I believe the way they are playing they now they should be ranked at the bottom of the list ( 13 to 15). I heard they beat Mouat a couple of weeks ago. They also beat a strong Tammy team which is starting to play better. Their only loss recently was 54 -43 to Panorama.

Don't fall asleep Lord Tweeds or Tammy.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FVBasketballFan

PostSubject: Re: Jr Boys' Rankings 2011-2012   Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:20 pm

Tammy is pretty strong; aggressive with a few good shooters. The best teams in Surrey are definitely Panorama Ridge, Fleetwood, Tamanawis, and Lord Tweedsmuir from what I've seen. Surrey's and Fraser Valley's should be very interesting, given other strong teams in the Valley, such as Fox, Walnut Grove, Sardis, Pitt. Mouat is always strong, but both Mouat and Fox seem to have lost some close games this year. Are they both young squads? It seems the younger teams have more trouble closing games; you can see a big difference physically between the Grade 9's and Grade 10's
Back to top Go down
View user profile
mikeyb

PostSubject: Re: Jr Boys' Rankings 2011-2012   Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:42 pm

Fox has a lot of grade 9's. Plus they rotate players constantly throughtout the game.

Your forgetting about the top team in the valley: Gleneagle.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FVBasketballFan

PostSubject: Re: Jr Boys' Rankings 2011-2012   Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:54 pm

Definitely didn't forget about Gleneagle - They were referenced earlier in the thread, and was highlighting some teams that are not 'ranked' but who have proven to be dangerous.

Does Terry Fox not have a Grade 9 team?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
mikeyb

PostSubject: Re: Jr Boys' Rankings 2011-2012   Mon Jan 23, 2012 3:14 pm

Yes Fox does have a grade 9 team.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bcballerindep

PostSubject: Re: Jr Boys' Rankings 2011-2012   Tue Jan 24, 2012 4:36 pm

karnsharda12 wrote:
Poll #3

1) VC

2) Claremont

3) St. Georges

4) Kits

5) Gleneagle

6) McNeil

7) Burnaby South

Cool WJ Mouat

9) Elphinstone

10) Valleyview

11) Terry Fox

12) Walnut Grove

13) Sardis

14) Panorama Ridge

15) Pitt Meadows

How is Saints not #1. They are undefeated, beat VC in the first matchup, beat Kits x2, and just beat Burnaby South at home. They have won the Riverside Tournament, the Sullivan Heights Tournament, and ISA's. They are playing Cowichan Valley and Oak Bay this weekend. They deserve #1
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mark Scott

PostSubject: Re: Jr Boys' Rankings 2011-2012   Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:02 pm

bcballerindep wrote:
karnsharda12 wrote:
Poll #3

1) VC

2) Claremont

3) St. Georges

4) Kits

5) Gleneagle

6) McNeil

7) Burnaby South

Cool WJ Mouat

9) Elphinstone

10) Valleyview

11) Terry Fox

12) Walnut Grove

13) Sardis

14) Panorama Ridge

15) Pitt Meadows

How is Saints not #1. They are undefeated, beat VC in the first matchup, beat Kits x2, and just beat Burnaby South at home. They have won the Riverside Tournament, the Sullivan Heights Tournament, and ISA's. They are playing Cowichan Valley and Oak Bay this weekend. They deserve #1

I think the last rankings were done before the VC game. Saints did not deserve to be #1 then. Also, Saints plays Burnaby South tonight (they have not played them yet). I do not think there is much, if anything, separating VC and Saints and I am told Claremont is right up there too. For the moment Saints probably does deserve to be number 1 but that can easily change and it will be the last game of the season that counts.... I have not seen Gleneagle play but they are strong I hear.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FVBasketballFan

PostSubject: Re: Jr Boys' Rankings 2011-2012   Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:35 pm

Mark I believe you're right in that these rankings were right after the VC tournament when VC beat Claremont by 2, and Burnaby finished 3rd. Either way I think VC, St. Georges and Claremont are the top 3 teams. Kits sounds like they have played some good teams close but have lost some too - not sure where they should fit into the top 10, but 4 sounds high at this point.

Will be interesting to hear how Burnaby South will do vs. Saints tonight; Burnaby South seems to have a lot of shooters - one of them amazing - so if they get hot from the perimeter they can beat anyone, but the opposite can be true. I don't think they have anyone who can match up against Drew though, and Saints is athletic enough on the perimeter to keep S. Burnaby from getting too many open looks.

Other than that, it's a real mix; sounds like Panorama Ridge could beat a number of these teams, but don't know much about them other than they won the RCMP tourney and beat Delview pretty handily. Does Mouat deserve to be ranked this high? It seems when I see the score updates they've lost several games recently.......
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Islandview2

PostSubject: Re: Jr Boys' Rankings 2011-2012   Tue Jan 24, 2012 8:03 pm

FVBasketballFan wrote:
Mark I believe you're right in that these rankings were right after the VC tournament when VC beat Claremont by 2, and Burnaby finished 3rd. Either way I think VC, St. Georges and Claremont are the top 3 teams. Kits sounds like they have played some good teams close but have lost some too - not sure where they should fit into the top 10, but 4 sounds high at this point.

Will be interesting to hear how Burnaby South will do vs. Saints tonight; Burnaby South seems to have a lot of shooters - one of them amazing - so if they get hot from the perimeter they can beat anyone, but the opposite can be true. I don't think they have anyone who can match up against Drew though, and Saints is athletic enough on the perimeter to keep S. Burnaby from getting too many open looks.

Other than that, it's a real mix; sounds like Panorama Ridge could beat a number of these teams, but don't know much about them other than they won the RCMP tourney and beat Delview pretty handily. Does Mouat deserve to be ranked this high? It seems when I see the score updates they've lost several games recently.......

It will be very interesting to see the result from St. George's-Burnaby South. I don't think anybody in junior can really match up against Drew. Mark, can you please fill us in on how the game goes?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bcballerindep

PostSubject: Re: Jr Boys' Rankings 2011-2012   Wed Jan 25, 2012 1:26 pm

Islandview2 wrote:
FVBasketballFan wrote:

It will be very interesting to see the result from St. George's-Burnaby South. I don't think anybody in junior can really match up against Drew. Mark, can you please fill us in on how the game goes?

Saints beat B. South by 9. They were leading by 25 at one point, but after that they just started to put up bad shots. Closes Burnaby got to was down 7 pts.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
oyzuires

PostSubject: Re: Jr Boys' Rankings 2011-2012   Sun Jan 29, 2012 2:12 am

North Surrey Tournament: Tamanawis # 1 Lord Tweedsmuir # 2 Panorama Ridge # 3 North Surrey # 4..... Kits was also in this tournament but they got defeated by the Tamanawis Wildcats in their first game
Back to top Go down
View user profile
newmember

PostSubject: Re: Jr Boys' Rankings 2011-2012   Sun Jan 29, 2012 6:11 pm

When are the new rankings coming out ?
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Jr Boys' Rankings 2011-2012   Mon Jan 30, 2012 1:30 pm

jvball wrote:
When are the new rankings coming out ?

After Saints, VC, Claremont, Gleneagle the field is wide open. Anyone can beat anyone. Rankings beyond top 4 is absolutely speculative.
Back to top Go down
CharlesII

PostSubject: Re: Jr Boys' Rankings 2011-2012   Sat Feb 04, 2012 3:37 am

Macneill beat Kits tonight
Back to top Go down
View user profile
karnsharda12

PostSubject: Junior boys Rankings #4 Feb 6, 2012   Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:59 am

1) St.Georges

2) VC

3) Claremont

4) Gleneagle

5) Burnaby South

6) Terry Fox

7) SMUS

Cool Mcneil

9) Elphinstone

10) Valleyview

11) Tamanawis

12) Sardis

13) Kits

14) Wellington

15) Walnut Grove
Back to top Go down
View user profile
fraser valley

PostSubject: Re: Jr Boys' Rankings 2011-2012   Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:33 am

Tammy 37 Panorama Ridge 35
Back to top Go down
View user profile
karnsharda12

PostSubject: Re: Jr Boys' Rankings 2011-2012   Mon Feb 13, 2012 3:54 pm

Good luck to everyone this playoff season bring your "A" game every night
post your playoffs scores as soon as you can will make a new ranking coming out on Friday and will make a new one every week leading up to the provincial championships

Coach Karn
Back to top Go down
View user profile
fraser valley

PostSubject: Re: Jr Boys' Rankings 2011-2012   Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:12 am

Panorama Ridge beat Tamanawis 53-42 to win the Surrey Championship
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mark Scott

PostSubject: Re: Jr Boys' Rankings 2011-2012   Sat Feb 18, 2012 5:21 pm

Thanks to everyone for the constructive, supportive and encouraging posts on the Junior forum. It is a striking and pleasant contrast to some of the posts in the senior forum. I am looking forward to an exciting junior tournament and I hope all the teams play to their potential - even VC!.....
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Jr Boys' Rankings 2011-2012   Today at 4:38 am

Back to top Go down

Jr Boys' Rankings 2011-2012
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 3 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next