HoopLife Forums

The opportunity to talk about issues affecting Canadian basketball from coast-to-coast

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Pick your biggest Upset of Sectionals

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Birdman33

PostSubject: Pick your biggest Upset of Sectionals   Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:00 am

Who do you see winning that no one else does? Pick one game or many. Prognosticate away!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Birdman33

PostSubject: GM girls   Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:33 am

GM girls put up 40+ in first q against Hartland...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Campo02

PostSubject: Re: Pick your biggest Upset of Sectionals   Fri Feb 10, 2012 12:02 pm

I would LOVE to log in in a couple of hours and see that Campobello knocked Devon Park out.

If they are playing even one game on that court why don't they play the whole tournament there? That doesn't make any sense or seem fair to me.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
baller24

PostSubject: Re: Pick your biggest Upset of Sectionals   Fri Feb 10, 2012 3:05 pm

There is nothing fair about the NBIAA, they seem to do some weird things
Back to top Go down
View user profile
i9h0w

PostSubject: Re: Pick your biggest Upset of Sectionals   Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:08 pm

Campo02 wrote:
I would LOVE to log in in a couple of hours and see that Campobello knocked Devon Park out.

If they are playing even one game on that court why don't they play the whole tournament there? That doesn't make any sense or seem fair to me.

Why would you want to host an entire tournament there? I highly doubt they even want to play 1 game in there little lone all of them there. The reason for having to host there is due to any gym they would be getting, it would be during school hours. Can't use them during school hours.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Campo02

PostSubject: Re: Pick your biggest Upset of Sectionals   Fri Feb 10, 2012 7:38 pm

No way they want to play there because it is THEIR gym. They played in it all year. Why would you want to play a team that almost beat you on a neutral court. It's embarrassing that the NBIAA would let this happen. I understand that they played all year and EARNED home court advantage but when your home court ins't even a basketball court that doesn't make sense. Campobello Island has a basketball court in one of their churches that rivals the court at DPCS, maybe if they ever win the South again they should play there instead of their gym. CICS is a school of less than 50 but there is a gym there that is more than worthy of hosting a tourment like the Regionals.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Campo02

PostSubject: Re: Pick your biggest Upset of Sectionals   Fri Feb 10, 2012 7:38 pm

What did Devon Middle school have scheduled in their gym at 1pm?? I would like to know?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Birdman33

PostSubject: Re: Pick your biggest Upset of Sectionals   Fri Feb 10, 2012 7:56 pm

Campo02 wrote:
What did Devon Middle school have scheduled in their gym at 1pm?? I would like to know?

Grade 6 physical education class.....
Back to top Go down
View user profile
i9h0w

PostSubject: Re: Pick your biggest Upset of Sectionals   Fri Feb 10, 2012 9:51 pm

Campo02 wrote:
No way they want to play there because it is THEIR gym. They played in it all year. Why would you want to play a team that almost beat you on a neutral court. It's embarrassing that the NBIAA would let this happen. I understand that they played all year and EARNED home court advantage but when your home court ins't even a basketball court that doesn't make sense. Campobello Island has a basketball court in one of their churches that rivals the court at DPCS, maybe if they ever win the South again they should play there instead of their gym. CICS is a school of less than 50 but there is a gym there that is more than worthy of hosting a tourment like the Regionals.

CICS is also government funded am I right? You're just starting to become extremely butt-hurt over the fact that the better team won. Get over it, and wait for next year.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
GM Breaker '84-'88

PostSubject: Re: Pick your biggest Upset of Sectionals   Sat Feb 11, 2012 6:08 am

I have to agree with Campo02 on this. If you win the right to host, that is fine. You either play ALL of the tournament there or NONE of the tournament there. Not just one game....what other Regional does that?

I do believe that there should be some 'minimum' standards for the size of the gym. Back in the early 90's GM won the 'home court' advantage, but the NBIAA would not allow GM to host the Regional.....GM actually had to play 'home' playoff games at Campobello and of all places, Harvey. Both times, Petitcodiac was the opponent....so, GM actually had to travel more for their 'home' playoff game than their opponent...does that seem fair to you??

GM split those games...won at Campobello, lost at Harvey....the loss at Harvey....well, Petitcodiac went on to win the 'A' banner that year. What if that game was played on GM...would it have made the difference? We shall never know...but it is a hard pill to swallow.

Now....in the 'rules' on the NBIAA website, it says that a school can host a regional tournament regardless of gym size. If it is such an advantage for DP to play in that 'gym' why don't they play all of the games there?

My answer - because they even know it's a joke. Have I mentioned NBIAA and firing squad in the same sentence before? I think I may have. They just make bad decisions all of the time...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ThePhoenix

PostSubject: Re: Pick your biggest Upset of Sectionals   Sat Feb 11, 2012 11:01 am

Well this is all very interesting but I believe the games today have cleared some things up.

So yesterday the big fuss was that Devon Park had homecourt advantage, and the gym was to small for campo to play in. To go along with it Campo02 tells us that refs were not very good.

BUT, I think todays early game cleared some things up so Both GM Breaker and Campo02 can rest easy. Since devon park delivered another bounding, this time to GM, a better team then Campo, AND it was not in the DPCS broom closet, it is safe to say that the gym doesn't really effect thier skill. the pounded both teams.

so Gm Breaker and Campo02, I believe that made you feel better?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Birdman33

PostSubject: Re: Pick your biggest Upset of Sectionals   Sat Feb 11, 2012 11:18 am

ThePhoenix wrote:
Well this is all very interesting but I believe the games today have cleared some things up.

So yesterday the big fuss was that Devon Park had homecourt advantage, and the gym was to small for campo to play in. To go along with it Campo02 tells us that refs were not very good.

BUT, I think todays early game cleared some things up so Both GM Breaker and Campo02 can rest easy. Since devon park delivered another bounding, this time to GM, a better team then Campo, AND it was not in the DPCS broom closet, it is safe to say that the gym doesn't really effect thier skill. the pounded both teams.

so Gm Breaker and Campo02, I believe that made you feel better?

Maybe it was the same bad refs, and the thought of playing in DP's home gym...
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Pick your biggest Upset of Sectionals   Sun Feb 12, 2012 1:55 am

Hey, I'm new here. From John Caldwell, Bench Warmer whom wears jersey number 21.

And I'm pretty sure Devon has private ref am I correct? That could be a reason for the bad reffing, when we played there they were awful as well.
Back to top Go down
Stripes

PostSubject: Re: Pick your biggest Upset of Sectionals   Sun Feb 12, 2012 7:00 am

SirJensenKnight wrote:
Hey, I'm new here. From John Caldwell, Bench Warmer whom wears jersey number 21.

And I'm pretty sure Devon has private ref am I correct? That could be a reason for the bad reffing, when we played there they were awful as well.

Hey Sir Knight,

Since you're a bench warmer and there probably isn't an NBA contract in your future, you would make a great candidate to referee. In New Brunswick, there is always a need for officials. And when you would join our association, here's what you would learn.

There is no such thing as a "private ref". I'm not sure what that means, all the the officials who work in the Fredericton area are registered through our association. Devon Park's coach is also an official and some will say that this type of situation shouldn't happen but in a small province it is very common. We're short officials as it is, so it would be difficult to ask people to choose between coaching and officiating.

You would also learn that officiating is a thankless job. You would work very hard to learn the rules and mechanics, you would work your butt off in games yet hear all kinds of criticisms from the bench , the stands and after the game. You would see that officiating is much more difficult than you had imagined. You would come onto this forum and find people very willing to use the referees as the excuse why their team lost (sometimes by 30 or 40 points) a game. You would travel all over in all kinds of weather conditions to make $35 for a high school game. Your wife or girlfriend would get on your case about being away all the time.

BUT maybe just maybe you would have a passion for officiating (like I do) that makes all the aforementioned crap easier to take. You might enjoy the camaraderie that exists among officials. You might focus more on all the "good players and coaches" rather than the bad ones. You might have a real satisfaction of officiating a game where you know you did a good job (as long as you don't expect anyone to tell you). You might be able to overcome the frustration of knowing you missed a crucial call or you had a bad game. Despite what some might think, no official wants to go home thinking they influenced the outcome of the game. You might discover that there are opportunities for good officials that involve high level of play, traveling etc.... It's interesting that there are about half a dozen Maritimers who are playing in the NBL right now. There are 17 Maritimers who are refereeing in the NBL. So Sir Jensen Knight, I hope at this point that you realize that this post was not intended at you directly, it was a plea to anyone who loves the game to consider joining the third team.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Pick your biggest Upset of Sectionals   Sun Feb 12, 2012 12:50 pm

By private ref I mean that the refs are specialty for Devon Park. Thats what there ref told our coach anyways.

And yeah, I hear what you mean bud, although I'm still only in grade 9 however.
Back to top Go down
Coachmac

PostSubject: Re: Pick your biggest Upset of Sectionals   Sun Feb 12, 2012 12:52 pm

Stripes wrote:
SirJensenKnight wrote:

Hey Sir Knight,

Since you're a bench warmer and there probably isn't an NBA contract in your future, you would make a great candidate to referee. In New Brunswick, there is always a need for officials. And when you would join our association, here's what you would learn.

There is no such thing as a "private ref". I'm not sure what that means, all the the officials who work in the Fredericton area are registered through our association. Devon Park's coach is also an official and some will say that this type of situation shouldn't happen but in a small province it is very common. We're short officials as it is, so it would be difficult to ask people to choose between coaching and officiating.

You would also learn that officiating is a thankless job. You would work very hard to learn the rules and mechanics, you would work your butt off in games yet hear all kinds of criticisms from the bench , the stands and after the game. You would see that officiating is much more difficult than you had imagined. You would come onto this forum and find people very willing to use the referees as the excuse why their team lost (sometimes by 30 or 40 points) a game. You would travel all over in all kinds of weather conditions to make $35 for a high school game. Your wife or girlfriend would get on your case about being away all the time.

BUT maybe just maybe you would have a passion for officiating (like I do) that makes all the aforementioned crap easier to take. You might enjoy the camaraderie that exists among officials. You might focus more on all the "good players and coaches" rather than the bad ones. You might have a real satisfaction of officiating a game where you know you did a good job (as long as you don't expect anyone to tell you). You might be able to overcome the frustration of knowing you missed a crucial call or you had a bad game. Despite what some might think, no official wants to go home thinking they influenced the outcome of the game. You might discover that there are opportunities for good officials that involve high level of play, traveling etc.... It's interesting that there are about half a dozen Maritimers who are playing in the NBL right now. There are 17 Maritimers who are refereeing in the NBL. So Sir Jensen Knight, I hope at this point that you realize that this post was not intended at you directly, it was a plea to anyone who loves the game to consider joining the third team.

Well said.

I tried being a referee. I sucked at it. No, I mean I really sucked at it.

I have nothing but respect for the job you guys do....even when we had the very very very rare game I thought the officiating was a factor in our loss. (of course it couldn't be my fault)

Thank you, to you all...........

Last edited by Coachmac on Sun Feb 12, 2012 12:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.homesmoncton.com
Coachmac

PostSubject: Re: Pick your biggest Upset of Sectionals   Sun Feb 12, 2012 12:53 pm

SirJensenKnight wrote:
By private ref I mean that the refs are specialty for Devon Park. Thats what there ref told our coach anyways.

And yeah, I hear what you mean bud, although I'm still only in grade 9 however.

Grade 9 isn't too early to start.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.homesmoncton.com
BeeBall4Lifee

PostSubject: Re: Pick your biggest Upset of Sectionals   Sun Feb 12, 2012 9:26 pm

Basketball Great weekend of basketball throughout the province!!!!! Great to have so many fans out to support their kids and communities!!!! Hats off to all who hosted and all those who will host in the upcoming sectionals!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
dont blame the refs

PostSubject: Re: Pick your biggest Upset of Sectionals   Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:17 am

I'm going to take this in a different direction. I know we are talking Upsets as in a lower ranked team taking out a higher ranked team but I'm going to switch it up. What upset me most about Sectionals? The lack of respect that was shown towards players and officials. I'm not going to touch the lack of respect for officials because I guess that comes with the territory of reffing and apparently you can cost a team 35-40 points over the course of a game. But I was at a sectional watching high school kids play their hearts out and working their butts off and a kid shot a ball and missed completely. The opposing teams fans rained down with "AIR BALL AIR BALL AIR BALL". This happened numerous times during the sectional and the sad thing about this is it wasn't high school aged fans who don't know better, it was 40 and 50 year old fans. To me that is pathetic. Our older fans need to be an example and teach better sportsmanship than that. These are high school student athletes not NBA players. Let's not lose sight of this fact.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BeeBall4Lifee

PostSubject: Re: Pick your biggest Upset of Sectionals   Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:25 am

dont blame the refs wrote:
I'm going to take this in a different direction. I know we are talking Upsets as in a lower ranked team taking out a higher ranked team but I'm going to switch it up. What upset me most about Sectionals? The lack of respect that was shown towards players and officials. I'm not going to touch the lack of respect for officials because I guess that comes with the territory of reffing and apparently you can cost a team 35-40 points over the course of a game. But I was at a sectional watching high school kids play their hearts out and working their butts off and a kid shot a ball and missed completely. The opposing teams fans rained down with "AIR BALL AIR BALL AIR BALL". This happened numerous times during the sectional and the sad thing about this is it wasn't high school aged fans who don't know better, it was 40 and 50 year old fans. To me that is pathetic. Our older fans need to be an example and teach better sportsmanship than that. These are high school student athletes not NBA players. Let's not lose sight of this fact.

Sour grapes make bad wine...........
Back to top Go down
View user profile
i9h0w

PostSubject: Re: Pick your biggest Upset of Sectionals   Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:39 am

I don't mind the air ball chants, but when the opposing teams fans are standing there in the corner setting off a bull-horn and screaming during free-throws. That kind of crosses the line. This isn't the NBA or College, it's 'A' high school basketball.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BeeBall4Lifee

PostSubject: Re: Pick your biggest Upset of Sectionals   Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:55 am

i9h0w wrote:

I don't mind the air ball chants, but when the opposing teams fans are standing there in the corner setting off a bull-horn and screaming during free-throws. That kind of crosses the line. This isn't the NBA or College, it's 'A' high school basketball.

Yeah I agree the place was loud at the end of the game but I am pretty sure that it was coming from both sides also plus the other two teams that remained to watch a great fought game...... so don't go pointing your finger unless you are willing to point it at yourself.....and I also thought that the endless elbows to our point guards face was "unsportsmanlike" and also to the fact that the DP point guard was so frazzled by the D that was being played on him that he tried to get the refs to take out point guard out of the game because his mouth was bleeding....which he caused but no calls were made........bottom line is that it was a heated and fierce game and things happen so whining about it after just doesn't make things better..........and that's all I have to say about that!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Maripac30

PostSubject: Re: Pick your biggest Upset of Sectionals   Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:57 am

Might be being a little picky but Sectionals are next weekend, you were all at Regionals
Back to top Go down
View user profile
i9h0w

PostSubject: Re: Pick your biggest Upset of Sectionals   Mon Feb 13, 2012 12:00 pm

BeeBall4Lifee wrote:
i9h0w wrote:

Yeah I agree the place was loud at the end of the game but I am pretty sure that it was coming from both sides also plus the other two teams that remained to watch a great fought game...... so don't go pointing your finger unless you are willing to point it at yourself.....and I also thought that the endless elbows to our point guards face was "unsportsmanlike" and also to the fact that the DP point guard was so frazzled by the D that was being played on him that he tried to get the refs to take out point guard out of the game because his mouth was bleeding....which he caused but no calls were made........bottom line is that it was a heated and fierce game and things happen so whining about it after just doesn't make things better..........and that's all I have to say about that!

It actually wasn't coming from both sides, so nice try. It's also a rule that blood = out of game. Technically, the point guard should of been subbed out, but the refs allowed him to stay on. Elbows were used by both sides, so as you said earlier, don't point fingers.

I don't see any whining going on here either, as I really don't care who won the game. It was indeed a good game, and both teams fought tooth and nail. I was just stating for anyone to do that in any game is not needed.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Birdman33

PostSubject: Re: Pick your biggest Upset of Sectionals   Mon Feb 13, 2012 1:29 pm

I agree, that type of behaviour is unnacceptable! These players aren't getting paid, and they shouldn't have to put up with taunting from fanatics!
It doesn't start at the high school level. I saw mini players being yelled at by fans on the weekend. Can you imagine yelling at a 9 year old. Something needs to be done!
Anyone have any suggestions?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Pick your biggest Upset of Sectionals   Today at 12:47 am

Back to top Go down

Pick your biggest Upset of Sectionals
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next