HoopLife Forums

The opportunity to talk about issues affecting Canadian basketball from coast-to-coast

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Sectionals - berths to Harbour Station

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Slam Dunk

PostSubject: Re: Sectionals - berths to Harbour Station   Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:52 pm

Why would a team who has a loss in the playoffs even have a voice. Rank 1-8 lose and you are done. Why should there be a chance you could lose at Harbour Station to a team you have already defeated during the first round of the playoffs? Maine has a much better playoff format, but then, to copy that then it would not be the NBIAA's idea and we all know they know best.

Last edited by Slam Dunk on Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Birdman33

PostSubject: Re: Sectionals - berths to Harbour Station   Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:57 pm

CoachDJR wrote:

FYI Bumpingcutters is a POE for officials across Canada this year and excessive bumping is supposed to be a foul. Don't worry about it though Im sure I haven't seen it called yet.

Bumping cutters is a POE but players can put two hands on the chest of the driving ballhandler....grrrrrrrr!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CoachDJR

PostSubject: Re: Sectionals - berths to Harbour Station   Thu Feb 16, 2012 6:15 pm

Birdman33 wrote:
CoachDJR wrote:

FYI Bumpingcutters is a POE for officials across Canada this year and excessive bumping is supposed to be a foul. Don't worry about it though Im sure I haven't seen it called yet.

Bumping cutters is a POE but players can put two hands on the chest of the driving ballhandler....grrrrrrrr!

Well there's two ways to look at that. 1 in reality they are putting two hands on the cutter too.

or

If we can't touch the cutter, if we can't push the post player, unless we go pack it in zone the only way we are going to defend anyone is if we can pressure the ball and keep it in front of you. You don't honestly expect kids to be able to close out on to the ball to takeaway shots and passes/vision and drives, all while being able to be in a stance and active enough to not get beat off the dribble without hand checks do you? Wink
Back to top Go down
View user profile
C-N '06-'09

PostSubject: Re: Sectionals - berths to Harbour Station   Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:30 am

39forever wrote:
CoachDJR wrote:
BumptheCutter wrote:
Watching 2 teams playing each other with both sides trying to lose can be entertaining kinda like playing reverse cribbage. First one to peg out loses. NOT!! NBIAA needs to change the rules for the 3rd place game at regionals. Let the winning team decide which side of the province they want to go too. This would put an end to it. Please feel free to tell me why this would'nt work???

Not opposed to this idea.

I'm not sure it is a huge problem though as is.

Only real problem I would see be why does 3 get to choose? 2 May have beaten them and finishes ahead but they don't get to choose? Why doesn't #1 get to decide who they want to play? If I'm #2 on the other side I don't want #3 on the other deciding where I go. Everyone suddenly should get to pick and choose? The purpose of the seeding games is supposed to be to rank teams so they can matchup with the ranked teams on the other side. Not to pick and choose who you want to play or where you want to go. That seems like a lot of gamesmanship for high school sports.

You are right, why wouldn't higher teams get to decide. The fact is, it only seems to be a problem in the 3/4 game. The way I thot it would work is, the winner of the 3/ 4 game would get to choose, stay #3 in the tourny they are in, or # 4 in the tourny of the other side, can't just have a strait across switch, that penalizes the other #3 seed. It may force a #4 seed to go somewhere else, but that's part of your problem if you finish 4th.

Non storm years going into the 3/4 game you do not know who you are going to play anyway. Unless a school is hosting JV provincials or games are on GM then all 3/4 games are at the same time and are before 1/2 games anyway. I don't think anyone would throw a chance to host sectionals so they could play a 3 seed and travel.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
h0oplife

PostSubject: Re: Sectionals - berths to Harbour Station   Fri Feb 17, 2012 2:00 pm

What time are the games starting in Harvey tonight?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BeeBall4Lifee

PostSubject: Re: Sectionals - berths to Harbour Station   Fri Feb 17, 2012 3:18 pm

h0oplife wrote:
What time are the games starting in Harvey tonight?

6:45 and 8:15

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Birdman33

PostSubject: Re: Sectionals - berths to Harbour Station   Fri Feb 17, 2012 4:52 pm

http://sugarloaf.nbed.nb.ca/liveevents1.html

AA games from Campbellton.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Defense14

PostSubject: Re: Sectionals - berths to Harbour Station   Fri Feb 17, 2012 9:02 pm

McAdam over bellisle 60-48
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CoachDJR

PostSubject: Re: Sectionals - berths to Harbour Station   Fri Feb 17, 2012 9:13 pm

Woodstock 90 - Tantramar 41

Sugarloaf 72 - CNHS 53
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Sectionals - berths to Harbour Station   Sat Feb 18, 2012 6:36 am

Coachmac wrote:
fanofbball wrote:
Coachmac, Peti will have to go through John Caldwell first before even playing Caledonia (assuming they will beat Harvey) in the final. Guess you are predicting Peti at Harbour Station??

That is what I am predicting.
Almost a pretty good call there.Peti gave JC everything they could handle and looked to have the game under control,up 9 starting the fourth quarter.If not for JC's great grade 9 point guard, game was over.She was great, 2 steals and baskets off them, couple of 3's, drained all her free throws and took the game back.
Same thing almost happened in Harvey and Caledonia girls game.Harvey, down by 16 at the half and came back to with-in 5 with 3 minutes left, but then ran out of gas.
Back to top Go down
Huios30

PostSubject: JC vs. Calendonia (Peti vs. JC)   Sat Feb 18, 2012 7:24 am

I have been following the 'A' division and I am surprised by the Peti vs. JC battle last night. Didn't think that one would be close.
Those Breakers and their fans down thaya must have shaken JC up (A little bird told me Grand Manan beat them with a zone)?

Curious to hear what everyone thinks about today's Caledonia vs. JC matchup in Hillsborough. Would love to hear who will play Grand Manan at Harbour Station.

I am hearing Stanley mostly likely won't beat Grand Manan @ Grand Manan. My homework says that Grand Manan beat them 107-63 and 77-70? But why such a huge difference in scores in those two GM/Stanley games?

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Coachmac

PostSubject: Re: Sectionals - berths to Harbour Station   Sat Feb 18, 2012 8:36 am

Huios30 wrote:
I have been following the 'A' division and I am surprised by the Peti vs. JC battle last night. Didn't think that one would be close.
Those Breakers and their fans down thaya must have shaken JC up (A little bird told me Grand Manan beat them with a zone)?

Curious to hear what everyone thinks about today's Caledonia vs. JC matchup in Hillsborough. Would love to hear who will play Grand Manan at Harbour Station.

I am hearing Stanley mostly likely won't beat Grand Manan @ Grand Manan. My homework says that Grand Manan beat them 107-63 and 77-70? But why such a huge difference in scores in those two GM/Stanley games?

The 77-70 game was played without Jess. Either all game or very little. I can't recall, exactly.

I think JC beats Caledonia.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.homesmoncton.com
Coachmac

PostSubject: Re: Sectionals - berths to Harbour Station   Sat Feb 18, 2012 8:38 am

Lefty wrote:
Coachmac wrote:
fanofbball wrote:
Coachmac, Peti will have to go through John Caldwell first before even playing Caledonia (assuming they will beat Harvey) in the final. Guess you are predicting Peti at Harbour Station??

That is what I am predicting.
Almost a pretty good call there.Peti gave JC everything they could handle and looked to have the game under control,up 9 starting the fourth quarter.If not for JC's great grade 9 point guard, game was over.She was great, 2 steals and baskets off them, couple of 3's, drained all her free throws and took the game back.
Same thing almost happened in Harvey and Caledonia girls game.Harvey, down by 16 at the half and came back to with-in 5 with 3 minutes left, but then ran out of gas.

I was impressed with Petti, the few times I had seen them play. I was hoping they might pull it off.
Back to top Go down
bball111

PostSubject: JC-Caledonia   Sat Feb 18, 2012 8:45 am

Have to agree with coachmac (and I didn't think i would) was very surprised by petti's play. Was also not impressed with john caldwell, after all the hype on here (although it was just one game and could have been an off one,)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Boas 98-02

PostSubject: Re: Sectionals - berths to Harbour Station   Sat Feb 18, 2012 8:58 am

My predictins today:

Harvey 79 GM 61 GM is gonna have to shoot the ball very well to win and they don't have an answer for the Lakers big man. Gonna come down to who takes care of the ball and who plays the better D!

Devon Park 68 McAdam 59 Moffitt, fully healthy, should have a field day with DP, he will give them trouble all game, Coburn and Harrington should be a fun match up to watch, Harrington will need to play smart team ball for the Eagles to win and the Warriors will need more than Moffitt to step up to pull off the upset. Gonna come down to hustle here folks!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
GM Breaker '84-'88

PostSubject: Re: Sectionals - berths to Harbour Station   Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:18 am

Boas....if you are predicting an 18 point win...it's not gonna come down to anything...that's a blowout.

Re: the GM/Caldwell game.....I was told it was 48-48 with about 6 minutes left, and GM switched from man to man to zone and ended the game on a 14-4 run...

Should be some good games today....Go Breakers!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CoachDJR

PostSubject: Re: Sectionals - berths to Harbour Station   Sat Feb 18, 2012 12:57 pm

bball111 wrote:
Have to agree with coachmac (and I didn't think i would) was very surprised by petti's play. Was also not impressed with john caldwell, after all the hype on here (although it was just one game and could have been an off one,)

Wasn't at the game so it may have been an off one. Could also depend on what you like/expect in terms of basketball. JC plays with young talent and athletes that freelance and attack and move looking for each other (age, style of play, etc) can lead to poor shot selection or more turnover then you might see from a more experienced team or structured offense. Petticodiac on the other hand have a very epxrienced ball carrier and both offensively and defensively are much more structured in who defends how, positions and sets on offense where who takes what shot where is more coach controlled.

JC isn't the end all and be all but young kids with a higher skill set/ athleticism then teams they are facing finding ways to score so it will look more frenetic then you might expect.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Birdman33

PostSubject: Re: Sectionals - berths to Harbour Station   Sat Feb 18, 2012 1:44 pm

CoachDJR wrote:
bball111 wrote:

Wasn't at the game so it may have been an off one. Could also depend on what you like/expect in terms of basketball. JC plays with young talent and athletes that freelance and attack and move looking for each other (age, style of play, etc) can lead to poor shot selection or more turnover then you might see from a more experienced team or structured offense. Petticodiac on the other hand have a very epxrienced ball carrier and both offensively and defensively are much more structured in who defends how, positions and sets on offense where who takes what shot where is more coach controlled.

JC isn't the end all and be all but young kids with a higher skill set/ athleticism then teams they are facing finding ways to score so it will look more frenetic then you might expect.

Apparently they did a little better today. Beat Caledonia by 20+.
Apparently the grade 9 kid hit 3 consecutive 3's in 4th and converted one to a 4 point play. Grade 9???
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bball111

PostSubject: Re: Sectionals - berths to Harbour Station   Sat Feb 18, 2012 2:06 pm

Agreed, John Caldwell was much better today, great passing, definitely looked more like a top 2 team today than yesterday.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Birdman33

PostSubject: Re: Sectionals - berths to Harbour Station   Sat Feb 18, 2012 2:10 pm

bball111 wrote:
Agreed, John Caldwell was much better today, great passing, definitely looked more like a top 2 team today than yesterday.

And I lied, it was a 30+ pt win.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
GM Breaker '84-'88

PostSubject: Re: Sectionals - berths to Harbour Station   Sat Feb 18, 2012 2:19 pm

GM girls won, GM boys lost...predictable I guess. Not sure of the girls score, I think the boys lost 76-68...or something like that.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Defense14

PostSubject: Re: Sectionals - berths to Harbour Station   Sat Feb 18, 2012 2:20 pm

Devon park wins 51-44
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Coachmac

PostSubject: Re: Sectionals - berths to Harbour Station   Sat Feb 18, 2012 2:23 pm

Rothesay Netherwood over Tantramar 93-91. AA Girls
Back to top Go down
39forever

PostSubject: Re: Sectionals - berths to Harbour Station   Sat Feb 18, 2012 2:40 pm

GM Breaker '84-'88 wrote:
GM girls won, GM boys lost...predictable I guess. Not sure of the girls score, I think the boys lost 76-68...or something like that.

It was more like 20, 95 - 75, something like that.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
GM Breaker '84-'88

PostSubject: Re: Sectionals - berths to Harbour Station   Sat Feb 18, 2012 3:40 pm

39forever wrote:
GM Breaker '84-'88 wrote:

It was more like 20, 95 - 75, something like that.

Really? You better have a chat with your brother-in-law...I'm sure he posted 76-68....but I could be wrong.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Sectionals - berths to Harbour Station   Today at 5:00 pm

Back to top Go down

Sectionals - berths to Harbour Station
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next