HoopLife Forums

The opportunity to talk about issues affecting Canadian basketball from coast-to-coast

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

4A Boys Mid February Rankings

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Edmontonball

PostSubject: 4A Boys Mid February Rankings   Fri Feb 17, 2012 9:59 am

Rankings are out:

2012 Mid February Ranking (4A Boys)
1 Harry Ainlay Edmonton
2 Bishop O'Byrne Calgary
3 Bishop Grandin Calgary
4 Sir Winston Churchill Calgary
5 Cardston High South
6 Jasper Place Edmonton
7 Catholic Central South
8 Paul Kane Edmonton
9 St. Francis Xavier Edmonton
10 (tie) Archbishop O'leary Edmonton
10 (tie) Notre Dame Calgary

Honorable Mentions (alphabetical order)

HM Bishop McNalley Calgary
HM Raymond High South
HM Strathcona Edmonton
HM St. Mary's Calgary
Back to top Go down
View user profile
canuck

PostSubject: south confusion   Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:49 am

Congrats to all the teams - it seems to be a race for second place, given that the Titans currently rule this province with an iron fist. They've already collected the 4A Football title and it appears they will roll to a 4A Basketball title as well.

6 teams from Edmonton, 6 from Calgary and 3 from the South - where are the other zones? Perennial competitors have disappeared, did they simply lose all their athletic talent?

As for the the south representation, the #2 team is currently LCI and yet they are not even HM? Did they lose at tournaments? I guess they answered that question by beating Catholic Central last night.

I'll grant that Catholic Central has come away from the 'player quitting' shake up with flying colours and have earned a place on this list, but even before losing to the Rams, were sitting 3rd in the south.

How did Raymond get an HM nod and they seem to be a distant 4th (perhaps there are injuries?) I guess we'll see what they do against Catholic Central tomorrow.

The politics surrounding the ranking committee needs to be resolved - it is the same song every year. Can we be objective for just one season? I hope ranking committee member are at lease volunteers and do not receive a penny for their efforts.

Well, it's really about the players (not the self serving ding dongs making the votes) so good luck to all teams in your final push for provincials - can anyone push the Titans off the top of the hill?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
HenryW

PostSubject: Re: 4A Boys Mid February Rankings   Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:29 pm

I agree Ainlay should win. I have heard that O'Byrne is a team that could be tough to beat. Very solid on the inside which could cause Ainlay some troubles.

As far as the south goes LCI I thought should have been an honorable mention. The problem is they lost to Raymond in league play.

Too say Raymond is a distant 4th is not accurate. LCI has played 2 more games than Raymond. If Raymond wins both of these games this weekend they will be in second. I think LCI, CCHS and Raymond are all about the same level.

I think there are some politics involved in the ranking committee. Maybe there needs to be a cap on the number of years you can be a ranker. In my opinion they should change the people who rank the teams at minimum every 2 years.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
kraull

PostSubject: Re: 4A Boys Mid February Rankings   Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:42 pm

It's interesting to note that the ranks are the same from Edmonton and Calgary as the City ranking. But when you consider the South, perhaps they are placed up there to cover zone spots. Eg, Ross Shep is 4th in leauge play in Edmonton and have beaten Raymond 2x by plenty of points in the last couple weeks. Not saying Shep deserves a spot, but question Raymond on the list....
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bballspirit

PostSubject: Re: 4A Boys Mid February Rankings   Fri Feb 17, 2012 1:39 pm

BOB is very large and strong, they look like a college team. We have played them twice- lost by 30+ and then by 14 in their tourny final. It would be very interesting to see them play HA, it would be strength vs speed. Ainlay is made up of some very slight skilled players whereas BOB are skilled and built. BOB is sloppy at times and misses some gimme whereas HA does not make those mistakes. Could be very entertaining.
Rankings are pretty spot on considering when the results cut off was. Raymond too many tourny losses to be ranked.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
NuthinButNet

PostSubject: Re: 4A Boys Mid February Rankings   Fri Feb 17, 2012 2:43 pm

Yes I do agree that Raymond does not Deserve a HM but in their defense they are missing their two best players, due to injury. Peter Bridge and Brad Baker.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 4A Boys Mid February Rankings   Today at 1:06 pm

Back to top Go down

4A Boys Mid February Rankings
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1