HoopLife Forums

The opportunity to talk about issues affecting Canadian basketball from coast-to-coast

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

City Playoffs and NOSSA Championships

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Norman Dale

PostSubject: City Playoffs and NOSSA Championships   Fri Feb 17, 2012 11:31 am

So, from what I can tell from the three different newspapers 5 of the six spots are locked up for city championships.

In the Soo it is St. Basil's and St. Mary's at Korah @ 7PM,

In North Bay it is Algonquin versus Chippewa starting there best of three on Family Day, Feb. 22 &

In Sudbury it is La Salle versus ?. I have not read anything in the Sudbury Star saying who they were playing or who were in the other semi-final but I am going to assume it will be Lockerbie and Lo-Ellen as La Salle beat Notre Dame.

In the Soo the winner of cities will host "AA" and the loser will host "AAA". As the "AAA" host the Soo will get an extra team and that team will be determined by a game featuring Superior Heights and Korah. White Pines will travel for the "A"play downs, wherever they are.

In North Bay it seems that Algonquin would be favoured for the NOSSA "A" crown and then Chippewa can choose whether to go "AA" or "AAA" depending if they want to go against either St. Mary's or St. Basil's. Will Widdifield and Scollard Hall have a play in game to determine the other rep?

Again, Sudbury is at present a mystery.

Will someone with more knowledge on the Sudbury scene please contribute. cheers
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BJH

PostSubject: Re: City Playoffs and NOSSA Championships   Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:24 pm

Sudbury Final:
Lasalle 47 (Derrick Rantala 13, Joshua Martin 11, Connor Anderson 10)
Lockerby 33 (Nicholas Jakelski 8, Micheal McQuarrie 8, Jason Picco 7)
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.hoopstarscanada.com
Norman Dale

PostSubject: Am I correct?   Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:52 pm

BJH wrote:
Sudbury Final:
Lasalle 47 (Derrick Rantala 13, Joshua Martin 11, Connor Anderson 10)
Lockerby 33 (Nicholas Jakelski 8, Micheal McQuarrie 8, Jason Picco 7)

Tell me if I am wrong, but because Lockerbie had already declared to be "AAA" bounce cheers then La Salle must go "AA" against St. Basil's in the Soo. Twisted Evil

Back to top Go down
View user profile
BJH

PostSubject: Re: City Playoffs and NOSSA Championships   Thu Feb 23, 2012 7:21 pm

NOSSAA Playoffs

AA
St. Basil's
Lasalle
Central Algoma
St. Joseph-Scollard Hall

AAA
St. Mary's
Superior Heights
Widdifield
Lockerby

Back to top Go down
John Stockton's Shorts

PostSubject: North Bay Drops out of NOSSA "AAA"   Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:17 am

BJH wrote:
NOSSAA Playoffs

AA
St. Basil's
Lasalle
Central Algoma
St. Joseph-Scollard Hall

AAA
St. Mary's
Superior Heights
Widdifield
Lockerby

In regards to "AAA" Widdifield will not be showing up for the tourney due to some arcane slotting rule in the North Bay Association. Mad

What really bothers me is that the team that lost the championship series, Chippewa did not qualify for NOSSA but teams that they beat to get to the finals have the right to go. Evil or Very Mad It just blows my mind that this could happen. Now, Korah is taking Widdifield's spot at "AAA". It is entirely possible that three of the four spots in the two NOSSA finals here in the Soo will be Soo teams! Shocked
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BJH

PostSubject: Re: City Playoffs and NOSSA Championships   Sun Feb 26, 2012 1:33 am

AAA Final:
St. Mary's 38 (Brian Fonzi 13, Adam Sigouin 11, Aiden Chard 10)
Korah 32 (Anthony Iacoe 12, Jonah Fogg 8, Howie Zhou 7)
Back to top Go down
Norman Dale

PostSubject: "AA" Final   Sun Feb 26, 2012 8:58 am

I do not have the individual scorers yet but the Final score was:

St. Basil's: 71
La Salle: 32.

"The Saints spread the ball around and were led by Mario Bruni, who drained 18 points, including three three-pointers, and Cole Bertolissi, who also put up 18 with four treys."

I thought it would be closer than that.

I can now say with some certainty that the best three teams in the north are St. Basil's, and then chose between Timmins and St. Mary's for second and third.

That Chippewa chose to end their season without playing at NOSSA is a real shame for the kids on that team whatever the coaches reasons.

Last edited by Norman Dale on Mon Feb 27, 2012 5:40 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
coachp

PostSubject: Re: City Playoffs and NOSSA Championships   Sun Feb 26, 2012 5:10 pm

I agree that St-Basil and TH are the best team in the North. But I have to put Algonquin from North Bay in 3rd. The won the city championship, made Tomahawk, and WF tournament semi. The Gold Cup in Timmins final. Lost to TH by 10. Will be a top 4 seed at OFSAA.

No doubt Ste-Mary's is good but they are the 2nd best team in the soo and the top of the soo league isn't pretty close to the top of NB.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Norman Dale

PostSubject: Say again?   Mon Feb 27, 2012 5:36 am

coachp wrote:
I agree that St-Basil and TH are the best team in the North. But I have to put Algonquin from North Bay in 3rd. The won the city championship, made Tomahawk, and WF tournament semi. The Gold Cup in Timmins final. Lost to TH by 10. Will be a top 4 seed at OFSAA.

No doubt Ste-Mary's is good but they are the 2nd best team in the soo and the top of the soo league isn't pretty close to the top of NB.

If the top of the North Bay league is as good as you say then why did the coach of the 2nd place team (Chippewa) decide to not even bother to come to NOSSA? Also how good is the NB league if the two finalists are both "A" teams?

Was it because they were so good that due to their sportsmanship they did not come or did she know that it was the other way around?

Also, did Algonquin play REDA and keep it to a 21 point game, Metro Prep and keep it to a 25 point game or Mount Zion Prep and keep it to a 10 point game. Has any team in North Bay played competition of that magnitude and kept it that close. Teams for North Bay this year did not come to the Vetrie and prove themselves against top level competition so until they have staying in the North would be a negative in my mind.

Also "A" ball in a lot different then "AAA" ball.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
John Stockton's Shorts

PostSubject: Do you want to rethink this statement?   Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:13 am

coachp wrote:

St. Mary's lost to St. Basil's by 15 in the Soo city finals. Are you saying that either Algonquin or Chippewa would be able to replicate that result.

I have been unable to find any results of games between either La Salle or Lockerbie and Algonquin or Chippewa. Those games would give you a better feel of where the NB teams stand versus the Soo league. cheers
Back to top Go down
View user profile
coachp

PostSubject: Re: City Playoffs and NOSSA Championships   Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:02 am

Firstly i'm not comparing leagues. Comparing Ste-Mary's and Algonquin as the 3rd best team in the north.

ESCA beat Lasalle by 10 in the Ferris tournament and beat White Pines by 20 at NOSSA.
I would also like to remind Norman Dale that there is a difference between A and AAA and that Ste-Mary's goes to AAA because they can't beat the AA teams in the north. It is way easier to make it to AAA OFSAA out of the north as there are only Lockerby and Widdifield to beat both OK but not Basil, TH, Lasalle. Only 1 real AAA team at NOSSA this year.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
John Stockton's Shorts

PostSubject: Re: City Playoffs and NOSSA Championships   Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:20 am

coachp wrote:
Firstly i'm not comparing leagues. Comparing Ste-Mary's and Algonquin as the 3rd best team in the north.

ESCA beat Lasalle by 10 in the Ferris tournament and beat White Pines by 20 at NOSSA.
I would also like to remind Norman Dale that there is a difference between A and AAA and that Ste-Mary's goes to AAA because they can't beat the AA teams in the north. It is way easier to make it to AAA OFSAA out of the north as there are only Lockerby and Widdifield to beat both OK but not Basil, TH, Lasalle. Only 1 real AAA team at NOSSA this year.

St. Mary's went "AAA" this year due to their loss in the Soo league city finals to St. Basil's by 15. As there are no "AAA" schools in the Soo the city final loser goes the route opposite from the city final winner which is usually "AAA".

"Ste-Mary's goes to AAA because they can't beat the AA teams in the north" Mad - I believe that beating Lo-Ellen by twenty at the Vetrie, beating Lockerbie by twenty-six in the NOSSA semi-finals and that the coach of Chippewa deemed it unwise coming to the NOSSA tournament. Do you really think that St. Mary's could not beat Widdifield or West Ferris or any other "AA" team in the north save Timmins whom they have not played.

La Salle lost by thirty-nine to Basil's which is a differential of 24 points. Has Algonquin or Chippewa played and beaten St. Basil's this year? If not then I stand by my claim. I am not sure what the north is going to do in two years when the two schools merge (St. Mary's and St. Basil's) and will be one of only two "AAA" schools in the north. Razz
Back to top Go down
View user profile
coachp

PostSubject: Re: City Playoffs and NOSSA Championships   Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:41 am

The reason Chippewa didn't go NOSSA is that in North Bay teams have to declare wich NOSSA they go to before the playoffs start. Chippewa is an A school and finish 2nd in league standings (behind Algonquin) so they decided to stay A and take their shot. They could of went AA or AAA if they wanted. Probably make the finals at both.
What were the scored between Ste-Mary's and White Pines this year. That should show some indication.

If ESCA playes Ste-Mary's 10 times ESCA wins 6 or more of those gam
Back to top Go down
View user profile
John Stockton's Shorts

PostSubject: Why not come and give the guys a chance to play   Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:54 am

coachp wrote:
The reason Chippewa didn't go NOSSA is that in North Bay teams have to declare wich NOSSA they go to before the playoffs start. Chippewa is an A school and finish 2nd in league standings (behind Algonquin) so they decided to stay A and take their shot. They could of went AA or AAA if they wanted. Probably make the finals at both.
What were the scored between Ste-Mary's and White Pines this year. That should show some indication.

"What were the scored between Ste-Mary's and White Pines this year"

The average of the four games was between twenty and thirty points. St. Mary's and/or St. Basil's also have the best defence in the north after watching the games this weekend.

The real difference between North Bay and Soo basketball is the physicality of the game here. Why I say this is that most the kids here play football and the majority of the guys I know in North Bay play volleyball and do not take contact as well as players here. Scollard Hall was beaten by thirty point mostly by St. Basil's second line on Friday evening.

I am not saying that Algonquin is a poor team, probably fourth in the North but until they play that is where I am going to slot them.

As to Chippewa's coach, she was offered up Widdifield's (who did not come because they had not played or practiced in a week - lame and gutless in my mind) spot late last week but refused to drive to the Soo.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Norman Dale

PostSubject: No equivalency here!   Mon Feb 27, 2012 5:29 pm

coachp wrote:

White Pines were last in the Soo league going 1-11. St. Mary's beat them 4 times (including a home town tourney) this year and were leading by at least 20 each time before the bench came on. The average was between 15-25 for the four games. I am sure that they were missing their second best player (broken shoulder) and Coneybear was still recuperating from accidentally putting a knife through his shooting hand (work accident).

I believe that they (Chippewa) were given a second chance by the NOSSA tournament convenor to come to the tournament but the coach decided against it leaving the tournament a team short and that allowed Korah a chance and thry took advantage and made it to the finals.

I think that Widdifield should not be allowed to go to NOSSA next year due to their last minute withdrawal. Razz
Back to top Go down
View user profile
lberto

PostSubject: Re: City Playoffs and NOSSA Championships   Tue Feb 28, 2012 6:28 am

Is it true that Ascention has 3 transfer this year playing that are eligible.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: City Playoffs and NOSSA Championships   Today at 3:04 pm

Back to top Go down

City Playoffs and NOSSA Championships
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1