HoopLife Forums

The opportunity to talk about issues affecting Canadian basketball from coast-to-coast

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

LM "AAA" playoffs are on hold due to potential legal action

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
AuthorMessage
baller1000

PostSubject: Re: LM "AAA" playoffs are on hold due to potential legal action   Tue Feb 21, 2012 3:29 am

CharlesII wrote:
Saints had two things to do to make Lower Mainlands and that was to beat VC twice, simple. VC had one thing to do to make Lower Mainlands and that was to beat Saints twice, simple. VC got the job done, Saints didn't. The rules are entrenched and I find it HILARIOUS how Saints time and time again feel like they deserve a second chance to slither by these rules. What about the other 40-50 teams who didn't make Lower Mainlands? For example, McMath, David Thompson, etc. Of course, McMath and David Thompson are not a team like the Saints but they know they didn't get the job done and that's why they aren't in the 12 team tournament. Why couldn't Saints, prior to the season talk to the board about possibly changing the Independent format, not after when they lose, that's garbage. In my opinion...you do belong in the LM tournament there is no doubt about it. However, to file a lawsuit and to postpone the tournament is outrageous. Take this with a grain of salt and suggest a change in the format PRIOR to the start of next season instead of crying about it after being beat by VC. Like I said, the fact of the matter is...you guys couldn't get the job done. Who's at fault for that? You are.

Apparently, you don't get it. Read the above posts again! The rules provide for what Saints is asking. They exist for any teams. stuck in a league or situation like this. That is why the BCHSBBA overruled the LM zone that is in large part the author of this entire problem. However, the LM coaches continue to act like spiteful kids and this is the cause of Saints threatening legal action.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CharlesII

PostSubject: Re: LM "AAA" playoffs are on hold due to potential legal action   Tue Feb 21, 2012 3:32 am

[quote="baller1000"][quote="CharlesII"]Saints had two things to do to make Lower Mainlands and that was to beat VC twice, simple. VC had one thing to do to make Lower Mainlands and that was to beat Saints twice, simple. VC got the job done, Saints didn't. The rules are entrenched and I find it HILARIOUS how Saints time and time again feel like they deserve a second chance to slither by these rules. What about the other 40-50 teams who didn't make Lower Mainlands? For example, McMath, David Thompson, etc. Of course, McMath and David Thompson are not a team like the Saints but they know they didn't get the job done and that's why they aren't in the 12 team tournament. Why couldn't Saints, prior to the season talk to the board about possibly changing the Independent format, not after when they lose, that's garbage. In my opinion...you do belong in the LM tournament there is no doubt about it. However, to file a lawsuit and to postpone the tournament is outrageous. Take this with a grain of salt and suggest a change in the format PRIOR to the start of next season instead of crying about it after being beat by VC. Like I said, the fact of the matter is...you guys couldn't get the job done. Who's at fault for that? You are. [/quote]

Apparently, you don't get it. Read the above posts again! The rules provide for what Saints is asking. They exist for any teams. stuck in a league or situation like this. That is why the BCHSBBA overruled the LM zone that is in large part the author of this entire problem. However, the LM coaches continue to act like spiteful kids and this is the cause of Saints threatening legal action. [/quote]

Thanks Baller100, I did fail to read it. I wanted to share my rant, however I should have read the posts before.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lefon Jang

PostSubject: Re: LM "AAA" playoffs are on hold due to potential legal action   Tue Feb 21, 2012 6:36 pm

Saints is in! Saints and VC may meet again in the Lower Mainland for the fourth time. It’ll rock the house if they do meet again. This is what basketball is all about, competition and rivalry. Let the game begin!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CharlesII

PostSubject: Re: LM "AAA" playoffs are on hold due to potential legal action   Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:02 pm

What is the format going to be like with Saints in it now? 13 team tournament? Are we going to ask another team to join from either Vancouver, Burnaby/New West or Richmond so it makes it a 14 team tourny ?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sportvictoria

PostSubject: Re: LM "AAA" playoffs are on hold due to potential legal action   Wed Feb 22, 2012 6:19 pm

Sportvictoria wrote:
The following press release was issued today (Sunday February 19) by the Lower Mainland High School Boys Basketball Association:

The Lower Mainland High School Boys Basketball Association at present is unable to produce a playoff draw for our “AAA” tournament due to potential legal action from one of our member schools, St George’s.

The following press release was issued today (Wednesday February 22) by the Lower Mainland High School Boys Basketblal Association.

Despite a tremendous amount of work at trying to reach a compromise the threat of legal action has forced the Lower Mainland High School Boys Basketball Association (LMHSBBA) to accept the directive issued below by the British Columbia High School Boys Basketball Association (BCHSBBA)

The BCHSBBA Executive is issuing a directive to both the Independent League and the LMHSBBA:
The 2012 LMHSBBA Championships will be a 13 team double-knockout tournament hosted by St. George’s. All the responsibilities for hosting the Championships are allocated to St. George’s and their delegates

The LMHSBBA had several options, which were supported by the BCHSBBA, to allow the participation of the independent #2 but none of them were accepted. It is most unfortunate that those who use the threat of legal action are rewarded for this type of behavior. Acting in the best interest of our member schools and their players and volunteer coaches, we were not prepared to bankrupt our association by having to hire lawyers. The limited resources we have go to cover the cost of operating our zone association and more importantly, providing scholarships to our graduating student-athletes. While we are very disappointed with the result and believe that it is not in the best interest of our volunteer-driven association and the basketball community in general, we are confident that this year’s Lower Mainland Tournament will be a highly competitive and entertaining event for everyone involved. On behalf of the LMHSBBA, we wish all of the teams the best of luck as they vie for one of the five berths and the opportunity to play in the provincial championships.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://Sportvictoria.com
Sim

PostSubject: Re: LM "AAA" playoffs are on hold due to potential legal action   Wed Feb 22, 2012 7:08 pm

Just as I predicted....LM's going play the role of the victim. No one's buying it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sportvictoria

PostSubject: Re: LM "AAA" playoffs are on hold due to potential legal action   Wed Feb 22, 2012 7:47 pm

Sim wrote:
Just as I predicted....LM's going play the role of the victim. No one's buying it.

Sim - do you actually believe that you are typing? You have NO IDEA of the heat that is going to come down as a result of what St. George's has done.
Back to top Go down
ronh_pm

PostSubject: Re: LM "AAA" playoffs are on hold due to potential legal action   Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:25 pm

A little history of this years issues..

http://www.vancourier.com/sports/Vancouver+basketball+Saints+high+school+tournament+approval/6194026/story.html

Thanks Megan Stewart for being all over this.

One question I have is, do all zones have this rule (possible to overrule the berthing allocation if a school can make a case they should be considered one of the top three schools in the zone) and are there geographic boundries? Are independents tied to the same boundries the publics are? Suppose St. Georges was not one of the top three in LM but was in Howe-Sound?

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.vancouversportsevents.com
Lefon Jang

PostSubject: Re: LM "AAA" playoffs are on hold due to potential legal action   Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:44 pm

What was the reason to change the host schools from Kitsilano and Churchill to St. George’s and Vancouver College?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
hoopster

PostSubject: Re: LM "AAA" playoffs are on hold due to potential legal action   Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:14 pm

ronh_pm wrote:

http://www.vancourier.com/sports/Vancouver+basketball+Saints+high+school+tournament+approval/6194026/story.html

One question I have is, do all zones have this rule (possible to overrule the berthing allocation if a school can make a case they should be considered one of the top three schools in the zone) and are there geographic boundries? Are independents tied to the same boundries the publics are? Suppose St. Georges was not one of the top three in LM but was in Howe-Sound?

What are you thinking Ron? That the 2007 #1 Handsworth team should have sued when they lost the NS playoffs? I think that a wildcard format was suggested
previously on hooplife, this mess could have been avoided if it was in use. I think there has to be some changes to the current system as the decision to force the LM to allow SG in is unfair to many ranked teams that did not make the playoffs in previous years.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sportvictoria

PostSubject: Re: LM "AAA" playoffs are on hold due to potential legal action   Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:17 pm

Lefon Jang wrote:
What was the reason to change the host schools from Kitsilano and Churchill to St. George’s and Vancouver College?

Several good comprimises were offered to St. George's. ALL were offered by LMHSBBA and supported by BCHSBBA. SG were even offered more than they had asked for - SG refused them all.

So the BCHSBBA put the "comprimise" in place.

LMHSBBA did not want to have anything to do with it (organizing or running it).

BCHSBBA told SG, you wanted it, you got it - even though SG did not want to host or do any of the work to run it. Now they are stuck with it.
Back to top Go down
baller1000

PostSubject: Re: LM "AAA" playoffs are on hold due to potential legal action   Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:28 pm

Sportvictoria wrote:
Lefon Jang wrote:

Several good comprimises were offered to St. George's. ALL were offered by LMHSBBA and supported by BCHSBBA. SG were even offered more than they had asked for - SG refused them all.

BCHSBBA told SG, you wanted it, you got it - even though SG did not want to host or do any of the work to run it. Now they are stuck with it.

You seem to be in the loop. Please shed some light on these "several good compromises" and the offer that was "more than they asked for".

So, if I understand your post, since LM did not get their way they refused to host. And the independents stepped in so that the tournament could go ahead.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sportvictoria

PostSubject: Re: LM "AAA" playoffs are on hold due to potential legal action   Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:34 pm

hoopster wrote:
ronh_pm wrote:

What are you thinking Ron? That the 2007 #1 Handsworth team should have sued when they lost the NS playoffs? I think that a wildcard format was suggested
previously on hooplife, this mess could have been avoided if it was in use. I think there has to be some changes to the current system as the decision to force the LM to allow SG in is unfair to many ranked teams that did not make the playoffs in previous years.

Wildcards are bad in the long run as they are open to the political pressure/interference. In the NCAA there are team of top, highly paid/unbiased, minds that basically are locked into room for a week scouring scores to come up with their 30+ wildcards.

I believe that the first year of the Hansworth/Argyle situation there was no rule in place. Then for the next year the appeal was put in and has been there since. Then that year, HS2 challenged FV7 for the last berth into the BCs. In the third year, Arygle had dropped off so there was only 1 top team in HS, and they got upset in the regional playoffs by WestVan.

I think the rule is 9.01 or something like that.

The rule generally states that a team from a SINGLE BERTH ZONE (Koot, OK, NW, NC, HS) must apply in writing a minimum 8 days in advance fo the berthing meeting for an 'exception'. They have some criteria that they have to meet. Then the BCHSBBA decides. This rule applies ONLY to ZONES THAT GET 1 BERTH. Note - the FV gets 7, LM 5, VI 3.

BTW... to the SG kid that keeps calling the LMHSBBA cockroaches... do you have any idea who the head of LMHSBBA is? It's Guy DeSilva, head coach of St. George's. Do your research buddy.
Back to top Go down
Sportvictoria

PostSubject: Re: LM "AAA" playoffs are on hold due to potential legal action   Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:49 pm

baller1000 wrote:
Sportvictoria wrote:
Lefon Jang wrote:

You seem to be in the loop. Please shed some light on these "several good compromises" and the offer that was "more than they asked for".

So, if I understand your post, since LM did not get their way they refused to host. And the independents stepped in so that the tournament could go ahead.

No you do not understand my post - not even close. Well, maybe you can ignore parts and add some of your own words and you'll be able to get to where you did. Animal Farm anyone?

The LMHSBBA offered some good options, didn't matter what they did, SG refused everything. The 13-team draw and later start meant everything has to be re-done. LMHSBBA were tired of the antics and threats. They weren't going to do it (organizing). SG wasn't going to it either - they wanted the draw they got but the DID NOT WANT to do the work (organizing and running it). I can tell you from experience that it is a lot of work. Well - SG were 'instructed' they were going to organizing and run it. SG absolutely did not 'step-up' - they got told.

Bringing the in the laywer and the threats were WAY TOO FAR and is going to have some serious ramifications on the face of basketball in BC.

Put this to bed folks (it will come back on it's own) - playoff basketball is here. Try to focus on that.
Back to top Go down
baller1000

PostSubject: Re: LM "AAA" playoffs are on hold due to potential legal action   Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:54 pm

I think Mr DaSilva (not one of the roaches) is the token independent on a board and association controlled by LM coaches and schools. Unless he has veto power, he in fact has no power.

Facts straight enough?

Looking forward to your reply to the my earlier post.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
baller1000

PostSubject: Re: LM "AAA" playoffs are on hold due to potential legal action   Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:31 pm

Sportvictoria wrote:
baller1000 wrote:
Sportvictoria wrote:
Lefon Jang wrote:

No you do not understand my post - not even close. Well, maybe you can ignore parts and add some of your own words and you'll be able to get to where you did. Animal Farm anyone?

The LMHSBBA offered some good options, didn't matter what they did, SG refused everything. The 13-team draw and later start meant everything has to be re-done. LMHSBBA were tired of the antics and threats. They weren't going to do it (organizing). SG wasn't going to it either - they wanted the draw they got but the DID NOT WANT to do the work (organizing and running it). I can tell you from experience that it is a lot of work. Well - SG were 'instructed' they were going to organizing and run it. SG absolutely did not 'step-up' - they got told.

Bringing the in the laywer and the threats were WAY TOO FAR and is going to have some serious ramifications on the face of basketball in BC.

Put this to bed folks (it will come back on it's own) - playoff basketball is here. Try to focus on that.

If you have information get it out there! Funny how you post your statements, but when asked to back them up, you want to turn it back to playoff basketball.

You say Saints had good options. Good in whose opinion? Yours? The LM's?

Apparently they were not good enough in Saints eyes, which probably means they were just as unreasonable as last year, or worse.

Unless everyone gets to see what actually transpired here, you are just repeating the LM party line. Thing is, this issue has two sides and until we hear from both, neither you or anyone else can judge if what was proposed was reasonable. So, I ask you again, what were the proposals rejected by Saints?

You saying it so isn't enough.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mark Scott

PostSubject: Re: LM "AAA" playoffs are on hold due to potential legal action   Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:13 am

baller1000 wrote:
Sportvictoria wrote:
baller1000 wrote:
Sportvictoria wrote:
Lefon Jang wrote:

If you have information get it out there! Funny how you post your statements, but when asked to back them up, you want to turn it back to playoff basketball.

You say Saints had good options. Good in whose opinion? Yours? The LM's?

Apparently they were not good enough in Saints eyes, which probably means they were just as unreasonable as last year, or worse.

Unless everyone gets to see what actually transpired here, you are just repeating the LM party line. Thing is, this issue has two sides and until we hear from both, neither you or anyone else can judge if what was proposed was reasonable. So, I ask you again, what were the proposals rejected by Saints?

You saying it so isn't enough.

Yes, baller1000 has made a reasonable request. You should back up your statement with facts. If you have information, please let's hear it. Seems only fair to me.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sim

PostSubject: Re: LM "AAA" playoffs are on hold due to potential legal action   Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:18 am

Thankfully the independents stepped up to host...when the LM public's bailed on hosting when they didn't get their way. Glad they put the kids first.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mark Scott

PostSubject: Re: LM "AAA" playoffs are on hold due to potential legal action   Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:22 am

Sim wrote:
Thankfully the independents stepped up to host...when the LM public's bailed on hosting when they didn't get their way. Glad they put the kids first.

Well put. And role of victim was correct in your earlier post.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sportvictoria

PostSubject: Re: LM "AAA" playoffs are on hold due to potential legal action   Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:07 am

It does not matter what I post as those that follow blindly will just refuse to believe as many have already shown or just lash out and attack as several have done.

What's the line... you can't change a true believer, regardless of the facts you put in front of them.
Back to top Go down
hard2thehole

PostSubject: Re: LM "AAA" playoffs are on hold due to potential legal action   Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:15 am

It seems like howies latest article covers at least one of the proposals that Saints rejected

"The LMHSBBA first produced a 12-team public school-only draw, which then proposed that Saints play a series of sudden-death games against its lowest-finishing teams, by which, if successfully navigated, would give them a spot in the B.C. tournament draw. The Saints, however, insisted they be included in the main portion of the Lower Mainland draw.

The two sides were at lagerheads, and on Sunday afternoon, the LMHSBBA issued the following email: “The Lower Mainland High School Boys Basketball Association is unable to produce a playoff draw for our “AAA’ tournament due to potential legal action from one of our member schools, St. George’s.”

The LMHSBBA then turned over its public school seedings to the Independent League and let them take care of producing the draw."

Back to top Go down
View user profile
baller1000

PostSubject: Re: LM "AAA" playoffs are on hold due to potential legal action   Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:31 pm

Sportvictoria wrote:
It does not matter what I post as those that follow blindly will just refuse to believe as many have already shown or just lash out and attack as several have done.

What's the line... you can't change a true believer, regardless of the facts you put in front of them.

So are you talking about yourself here?

We have asked for information to be convinced of your statements. You have provided none. It seems the "true believer" is you. You don't seem to have any facts.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
baller1000

PostSubject: Re: LM "AAA" playoffs are on hold due to potential legal action   Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:45 pm

hard2thehole wrote:
It seems like howies latest article covers at least one of the proposals that Saints rejected

"The LMHSBBA first produced a 12-team public school-only draw, which then proposed that Saints play a series of sudden-death games against its lowest-finishing teams, by which, if successfully navigated, would give them a spot in the B.C. tournament draw. The Saints, however, insisted they be included in the main portion of the Lower Mainland draw.

The two sides were at lagerheads, and on Sunday afternoon, the LMHSBBA issued the following email: “The Lower Mainland High School Boys Basketball Association is unable to produce a playoff draw for our “AAA’ tournament due to potential legal action from one of our member schools, St. George’s.”

The LMHSBBA then turned over its public school seedings to the Independent League and let them take care of producing the draw."

So the LMHSBBA produced a 12 team PUBLIC SCHOOL ONLY draw.

That means VC, which had earned a berth to the LM, was not included in what the LM proposed.

It is no surprise then this was rejected by the independents. It is also clear that the LM was attempting to not only keep Saints out of the tournament. Instead they chose the opportunity provided by a gutless BCHSBBA, that provided no direction, to also maneuver VC out as well.

Is it any wonder that the independents balked when presented with these types of proposals. Mr. Eberhardt's assertions that this is all about the kids seem somewhat hollow.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
stocktonsshorts

PostSubject: Re: LM "AAA" playoffs are on hold due to potential legal action   Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:15 pm

baller1000 wrote:
hard2thehole wrote:

That means VC, which had earned a berth to the LM, was not included in what the LM proposed.

It is no surprise then this was rejected by the independents. It is also clear that the LM was attempting to not only keep Saints out of the tournament. Instead they chose the opportunity provided by a gutless BCHSBBA, that provided no direction, to also maneuver VC out as well.

Is it any wonder that the independents balked when presented with these types of proposals. Mr. Eberhardt's assertions that this is all about the kids seem somewhat hollow.

Did you see the draw?
I did.

12 team draw with the five top seeds advancing to a berthing tournament.
Berthing tournament:
independant #1 directly to the final vs. public #1
with the remaining 4 seeds and independant #2 battling for the remaining 3 berths to the BC's.

Does this really seam unreasonable?

VC a direct berth to the final. And Saints in with the other 4 seeds (who in the eyes of many on this forum they are clearly superior than) battling for 3 berths. No 5 game gauntlet to run just an opportunity which is what they wanted.

Apparently not GOOD ENOUGH. Are you honestly surprised people are frustrated??
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sportvictoria

PostSubject: Re: LM "AAA" playoffs are on hold due to potential legal action   Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:31 pm

stocktonsshorts wrote:
baller1000 wrote:
hard2thehole wrote:

Did you see the draw?
I did.

12 team draw with the five top seeds advancing to a berthing tournament.
Berthing tournament:
independant #1 directly to the final vs. public #1
with the remaining 4 seeds and independant #2 battling for the remaining 3 berths to the BC's.

Does this really seam unreasonable?

VC a direct berth to the final. And Saints in with the other 4 seeds (who in the eyes of many on this forum they are clearly superior than) battling for 3 berths. No 5 game gauntlet to run just an opportunity which is what they wanted.

Apparently not GOOD ENOUGH. Are you honestly surprised people are frustrated??

I thought that is was a FANTASTIC option. Don't know why SG refused it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: LM "AAA" playoffs are on hold due to potential legal action   Today at 5:04 pm

Back to top Go down

LM "AAA" playoffs are on hold due to potential legal action
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 7Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next