HoopLife Forums

The opportunity to talk about issues affecting Canadian basketball from coast-to-coast

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

LM "AAA" playoffs are on hold due to potential legal action

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
AuthorMessage
BallIsReligion

PostSubject: Re: LM "AAA" playoffs are on hold due to potential legal action   Fri Feb 24, 2012 6:02 pm

The obvious disdain amongst the powers that be that has lasted decades can no longer be sheltered from the youth they claim to be trying to serve. Grown men, who know exactly the ramifications of their tireless jabs towards each other continue to reference sections, sub sections and rulings, and are ALL FULLY willing to crush the spirit of each of these as it serves their wills' desire. Somewhere along the line these "gentlemens' " passion for being ambassadors and stewards of the game were over taken by ego, self righteousness and what ever else fuels this obvious resentment towards each other. These former ambassadors of the game have now just become asses of the game and are putting it on display for the entire community to witness. Sure they've done things to keep this ship we call basketball afloat for the years they have served. But in years past what has it become? Where is the growth and improvement in our sport in British Columbia? How much farther have they brought us? It's time the basketball community takes a long hard look at where our ship is headed and ask ourselves is this where we want to go? If so, stay the course. If not, no longer shy from the tireless hours it requires to realize the future and give these guys a gold watch, pat on the back, framed picture and plaque, thank them and wish them well. The gigs up fellas. You're paper thin claims of fairness or unfairness have been shredded by your grudges, feuds and childish tantrums. You've exposed these attributes one too many times and now you've become about as useful as politicians. Things wouldn't work without them but are things REALLY working with them? Here's to the future!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
GuyLafleur

PostSubject: Re: LM "AAA" playoffs are on hold due to potential legal action   Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:39 pm

Besides all of the posturing and double-speak about rules, subsections, etc., I believe this really just comes down to intense dislike of the Independents and the way the public school coaches believe that the Independents ''skirt'' the rules.

St. Georges and VC don't recruit every star player that's ever played for them and some public schools amazingly seem to get new star transfers in their grade 10,11,12 years all the time (I'm looking at you, Yale and Kits), but recruiting by parents, teachers, and ADs is a real disease.

I'm not going to name names because I haven't asked these respective parties whether I can tell their stories on a public forum and I don't want to open up a legal can of worms, but I've seen and heard of blatant recruiting first-hand from the very parties who are being recruited. Some of you will know exactly who I'm talking about regardless. If you REALLY need to know the names, private message me, but I don't want any personal attacks or ''haha, look at him, hes clearly making this up, that's why he wont name names" because I can assure you 100% everything listed below is true

eg. a star player from the Yale 2008 team which won the AAA BCs transferred from another Abbotsford school because he had a relative who was on the coaching staff. he even had his guardianship transferred from his parents to his relatives so he wouldn't have to sit out a year

a player from UBC's roster this year moved all the way from Kelowna to a highly-ranked team in the Fraser Valley in his grade 10 or 11 year a few years ago after the head coach of said Fraser Valley team's coached him on the provincial team the previous summer or two

a very good player from the Saint George's team a few years back who lived in the Fraser Valley was being given rides to school by one of the coaching staff every morning

a very good player from Burnaby South who lived in the Fraser Valley was also being given rides to school by one of the coaching staff

one of the best grade 11s in the province this year was approached by a representative of St. Georges after a U13 rep tourney held at St. Georges while he was grade 7. the representative offered ''significant financial aid'' if the player chose to come to Saints.

one of the best players to ever come out of BC was looking for a school to transfer because he wanted to transfer from his Junior High after the 9th grade during the 90s. His dad contacted VC, who told him that the wait list was several hundred students long. When asked what his sons name was, the father told the rep, who immediately asked him to hold before transferring the call to the vice-principal, who told the players dad that a spot had just opened up.

a star player from last years AAA champion played his grade 8 and 9 seasons at Burnett and transferred to Palmer because he had several close friends on the team

all of these are instances of players being recruited by school representatives, relatives, or friends, so for anyone to say recruiting just occurs at private schools or that recruiting never occurs, these are clear-cut cases which dispels both of those myths. recruiting is not black and white and occurs ALL THE TIME, at a lot of different schools. some schools are just much better at it than others.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
shoota

PostSubject: Re: LM "AAA" playoffs are on hold due to potential legal action   Sat Feb 25, 2012 6:53 pm

GuyLafleur wrote:
Besides all of the posturing and double-speak about rules, subsections, etc., I believe this really just comes down to intense dislike of the Independents and the way the public school coaches believe that the Independents ''skirt'' the rules.

St. Georges and VC don't recruit every star player that's ever played for them and some public schools amazingly seem to get new star transfers in their grade 10,11,12 years all the time (I'm looking at you, Yale and Kits), but recruiting by parents, teachers, and ADs is a real disease.

I'm not going to name names because I haven't asked these respective parties whether I can tell their stories on a public forum and I don't want to open up a legal can of worms, but I've seen and heard of blatant recruiting first-hand from the very parties who are being recruited. Some of you will know exactly who I'm talking about regardless. If you REALLY need to know the names, private message me, but I don't want any personal attacks or ''haha, look at him, hes clearly making this up, that's why he wont name names" because I can assure you 100% everything listed below is true

eg. a star player from the Yale 2008 team which won the AAA BCs transferred from another Abbotsford school because he had a relative who was on the coaching staff. he even had his guardianship transferred from his parents to his relatives so he wouldn't have to sit out a year

a player from UBC's roster this year moved all the way from Kelowna to a highly-ranked team in the Fraser Valley in his grade 10 or 11 year a few years ago after the head coach of said Fraser Valley team's coached him on the provincial team the previous summer or two

a very good player from the Saint George's team a few years back who lived in the Fraser Valley was being given rides to school by one of the coaching staff every morning

a very good player from Burnaby South who lived in the Fraser Valley was also being given rides to school by one of the coaching staff

one of the best grade 11s in the province this year was approached by a representative of St. Georges after a U13 rep tourney held at St. Georges while he was grade 7. the representative offered ''significant financial aid'' if the player chose to come to Saints.

one of the best players to ever come out of BC was looking for a school to transfer because he wanted to transfer from his Junior High after the 9th grade during the 90s. His dad contacted VC, who told him that the wait list was several hundred students long. When asked what his sons name was, the father told the rep, who immediately asked him to hold before transferring the call to the vice-principal, who told the players dad that a spot had just opened up.

a star player from last years AAA champion played his grade 8 and 9 seasons at Burnett and transferred to Palmer because he had several close friends on the team

all of these are instances of players being recruited by school representatives, relatives, or friends, so for anyone to say recruiting just occurs at private schools or that recruiting never occurs, these are clear-cut cases which dispels both of those myths. recruiting is not black and white and occurs ALL THE TIME, at a lot of different schools. some schools are just much better at it than others.

way to go guy. that's the honest truth. there are no innocent parties here!!!

Back to top Go down
View user profile
eastvanbball

PostSubject: Re: LM "AAA" playoffs are on hold due to potential legal action   Sun Feb 26, 2012 12:29 pm

What school was Emerson Murray supposed to go to?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
mikeyb

PostSubject: Re: LM "AAA" playoffs are on hold due to potential legal action   Sun Feb 26, 2012 6:11 pm

Emerson's older brother went to Fleetwood Park.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
baller1000

PostSubject: Re: LM "AAA" playoffs are on hold due to potential legal action   Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:52 pm

Here is something from an editorial in today's Province. Sound familiar??????

Make ridiculous proposals towards settlement (Saints route to berth). When that is turned down as being unreasonable and unfair, come back with even more ridiculous proposal (kick VC out of LM too). Then have government threaten forced resolution (lawyers anyone?). All the while keep whining "it's about the kids". Then when ordered back, work to rule (if we don;t get what we want, we won't host).

It seems the LM coaches are following the BCTF negotiating handbook and getting just about the same amount of public sympathy.

[i]From the Province
[/i]
It sets a terrible example for our children, especially those who later in life have to make their way in an adult world. And it's no wonder enrolment in B.C. private schools (now at 11.6 per cent of total enrolment) appears to be growing.

Peter Froese, executive director of the B.C. Federation of Independent School Associations, said he's hearing from "multiple sources" that the past six months of teacher job action have caused families to be concerned about their children's education: "And so some of them are choosing to register for an independent school for next year."

Now, don't get me wrong. I don't think the B.C. Liberal government, also addicted to polarizing politics, is composed of angels. Nor do I think the teachers' labour bargaining structure is all peaches and cream. It's clearly hopelessly uneven.

But for the BCTF, life is one big, ugly dispute in which the government, capitalism and the main-stream media are always to blame. To suggest otherwise is "union bashing." If it isn't class sizes, it's standardized tests or contract-stripping or the Fraser Institute. It's a collective whine that never ends.

If the BCTF doesn't get its way, it pouts. And that's what this day of action is . . . a giant pout. It's not some noble cause.

These are not miners with picks and shovels being whipped into sub-mission by capitalist robber barons. B.C. teachers enjoy top vacation, pension and other benefits.

Their salaries aren't bad either, especially after their last contract, in which they got 16 per cent over five years and a $4,000 one-time signing bonus.

No, this is all about a union that refuses to accept the "net-zero" mandate already agreed upon by literally hundreds of thousands of other public-sector workers - and isn't flexible or bright enough to come up with some contract com-promise that would secure them a small wage increase.

The BCTF keeps insisting that teachers care. Well, most British Columbians care. They care that for years now the system they finance through their taxes has been hijacked by a bunch of self-centred ideologues.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
stocktonsshorts

PostSubject: Re: LM "AAA" playoffs are on hold due to potential legal action   Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:57 pm

Baller 1000 you should work for the government.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CharlesII

PostSubject: Re: LM "AAA" playoffs are on hold due to potential legal action   Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:25 pm

Is sportscanada showing any of the semi final games of the tournament? Kits vs Tupper? VC vs Saints ?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sportvictoria

PostSubject: Re: LM "AAA" playoffs are on hold due to potential legal action   Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:31 pm

CharlesII wrote:
baller1000 you are probably the most stubborn/annoying person on this forum, get a life.

Leave him be Charles.

He's a 'true believer'.

In the face of overwhelming evidence... refuses to acknowledge or change his stance.

Not exactly what one would call 'open minded'.

I believe zealot is another good term.

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://Sportvictoria.com
outlawpete

PostSubject: Re: LM "AAA" playoffs are on hold due to potential legal action   Thu Mar 01, 2012 5:24 pm

This just in VC suing St Georges after losing to them last night, can you hear me?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ronh_pm

PostSubject: Re: LM "AAA" playoffs are on hold due to potential legal action   Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:50 pm

I don't know who said it first but there is an old saying

"If you are not part of the solution, you are part of the problem"

How about we get five pages of ideas that can help get this worked out instead of five more mean spirited, finger pointing, he said she said, I told you so, you start it, i know you are but what am I, posts.

Just an idea of course.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.vancouversportsevents.com
M-5

PostSubject: Re: LM "AAA" playoffs are on hold due to potential legal action   Fri Mar 02, 2012 12:46 am

How about have tiers based on team strength? Coaches sign their team up for a given tier at the beginning of the season based on how good they think their team will be. Independents play in same league as public. If coachs don't want to compete against the strongest teams they can "play down" to a lower tier.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
okanaganbball

PostSubject: Re: LM "AAA" playoffs are on hold due to potential legal action   Fri Mar 02, 2012 1:14 am

ronh_pm wrote:
I don't know who said it first but there is an old saying

"If you are not part of the solution, you are part of the problem"

How about we get five pages of ideas that can help get this worked out instead of five more mean spirited, finger pointing, he said she said, I told you so, you start it, i know you are but what am I, posts.

Just an idea of course.

This would be why I locked the thread in the first place. Let's see some real debate, with some give and take.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
outlawpete

PostSubject: Re: LM "AAA" playoffs are on hold due to potential legal action   Fri Mar 02, 2012 2:49 pm

relax ron it was just a joke bro. Besides VC has a right to be pi$$ed they already beat St G twice and had to play em with injuries this time.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
hoopfan

PostSubject: Re: LM "AAA" playoffs are on hold due to potential legal action   Fri Mar 02, 2012 3:38 pm

outlawpete wrote:
relax ron it was just a joke bro. Besides VC has a right to be pi$$ed they already beat St G twice and had to play em with injuries this time.

It is not funny at all. It was a combined effort of Saints and VC to seek legal opinion. You assume Saints did not play with injuries last few games????

This is too much, locking this post was a good idea.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lefon Jang

PostSubject: Re: LM "AAA" playoffs are on hold due to potential legal action   Sat Mar 03, 2012 1:28 pm

This is taken from Saints News:

Even though our senior varsity team has been ranked provincially in the Top 10 all season, with our season-end ranking #3, we have never asked for a guaranteed berth into the AAA Provincial Championships. Rather, our position has been that St. George’s should be treated like any other member school and that our boys should have an equal opportunity to compete in the Lower Mainland Zone Tournament. Legal action was never initiated, and we will continue to take the high road, endeavouring to build positive relationships among both public and independent schools. Over the course of the past two weeks, our hosting of the Lower Mainland Zone Tournament further illustrates our commitment to working in partnership with all members of the BC high school basketball community.

Dr. Tom Matthews
Headmaster
Saint George’s School
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ebe

PostSubject: Re: LM "AAA" playoffs are on hold due to potential legal action   Sun Mar 04, 2012 4:40 pm

Lefon Jang wrote:

Even though our senior varsity team has been ranked provincially in the Top 10 all season, with our season-end ranking #3, we have never asked for a guaranteed berth into the AAA Provincial Championships. Rather, our position has been that St. George’s should be treated like any other member school and that our boys should have an equal opportunity to compete in the Lower Mainland Zone Tournament. Legal action was never initiated, and we will continue to take the high road, endeavouring to build positive relationships among both public and independent schools. Over the course of the past two weeks, our hosting of the Lower Mainland Zone Tournament further illustrates our commitment to working in partnership with all members of the BC high school basketball community.

Dr. Tom Matthews
Headmaster
Saint George’s School

A couple of items need clarification in this response. I have no way of knowing if this is an actual response from the St George's headmaster but I think a reply to this statement is the responsible thing to do in order so that a discussion can occur with all of the information:
Quote :
"we have never asked for a guaranteed berth into the AAA Provincial Championships"
From St George's AD Rich Cohee - We further request that the Governors consider any one of the following options as potential resolve to the issue.
a. - A 13-team double elimination Lower Mainland Tournament format
b. - A 1 game play-in game between Lower Mainland Ind. #2 and Vancouver #6 to gain entry into the Lower Mainland 12-Team Tournament
c. - A 1-game play-in game between Lower Mainland Ind. #2 and Lower Mainland Tournament #5 finalist to gain entry into the BC AAA Championship
d. - A direct birth into the BC AAA Championship
Quote :
"Legal action was never initiated"
From the Vancouver Courier newspaper - the law firm Farris on behalf of St. George's contacted the Lower Mainland tournament committee to contend the school deserved direct entry into the tournament and that repeating last year's four-game wildcard play-in would unfairly place the "team and players at a gross competitive disadvantage. "Be advised that should the [Lower Mainland High School Boys Basketball Association] proceed with this proposal, St. George's intends to exercise such legal recourse as it deems necessary to protect its interests and as those of its student athletes," stated the lawyer's letter, which was obtained by the Courier. "This could include commencement of litigation in B.C. Supreme Court seeking injunctive relief."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
hoopfan

PostSubject: Re: LM "AAA" playoffs are on hold due to potential legal action   Sun Mar 04, 2012 5:27 pm

But ball don’t lie! Some young talents were almost got buried.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BBallMD

PostSubject: Interesting!   Sun Mar 04, 2012 8:41 pm

If that letter is from the Headmaster of St. Georges then shame on him. The comment from the last person 'Ball don't lie' ... this is not about whether they have the talent, but are they playing by the rules. I do not believe they are. Seems they feel they don't have to. After reading this forum and hearing about what the WRCA parents have to say over the past few weeks, Public and Independent Schools are not equal on how they can deal with their coaches, their teams and how they can recruit. BTW .. Reruiting and attracting are NOT the same. We seem to be playing on a different playing field. This should be about the boys, some of whom are fortunate to have a great program, including the coach and players and others who only have a coach or their desire. The true winners are the boys, no matter what team, that see the 'big picture'.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
BallIsReligion

PostSubject: Re: LM "AAA" playoffs are on hold due to potential legal action   Sun Mar 04, 2012 10:02 pm

ebe wrote:
Lefon Jang wrote:

Dr. Tom Matthews
Headmaster
Saint George’s School

A couple of items need clarification in this response. I have no way of knowing if this is an actual response from the St George's headmaster but I think a reply to this statement is the responsible thing to do in order so that a discussion can occur with all of the information:
Quote :
"we have never asked for a guaranteed berth into the AAA Provincial Championships"
From St George's AD Rich Cohee - We further request that the Governors consider any one of the following options as potential resolve to the issue.
a. - A 13-team double elimination Lower Mainland Tournament format
b. - A 1 game play-in game between Lower Mainland Ind. #2 and Vancouver #6 to gain entry into the Lower Mainland 12-Team Tournament
c. - A 1-game play-in game between Lower Mainland Ind. #2 and Lower Mainland Tournament #5 finalist to gain entry into the BC AAA Championship
d. - A direct birth into the BC AAA Championship
Quote :
"Legal action was never initiated"
From the Vancouver Courier newspaper - the law firm Farris on behalf of St. George's contacted the Lower Mainland tournament committee to contend the school deserved direct entry into the tournament and that repeating last year's four-game wildcard play-in would unfairly place the "team and players at a gross competitive disadvantage. "Be advised that should the [Lower Mainland High School Boys Basketball Association] proceed with this proposal, St. George's intends to exercise such legal recourse as it deems necessary to protect its interests and as those of its student athletes," stated the lawyer's letter, which was obtained by the Courier. "This could include commencement of litigation in B.C. Supreme Court seeking injunctive relief."

@Ebes

This is EXACTLY the approach all parties involved need to avoid. How about instead of answering quotes you have NO way of confirming.......WAIT, I'm pretty sure you have St.George's phone number. Why perpetuate rumours, animosity and falsehoods when you can simply confirm wether or not you are responding to something valid? I am in no way putting this entirely on your plate however, to comment on a quote supposedly from the head of a school in which you yourself say you have know way of confirming its validity, seems to represent the way this whole mockery has been handled. Its been years since the decision to remove berths has been made and not an inch progress has been made on either end. This arrangement is obviously not satisfactory to the BCHSS and more over has become a reoccurring and now permanent stain on all of your legacies, believe or not. Airing out and debating what should be hammered out between those involved in this public childish banter is bad form on both sides and is making all involved appear foolish, spiteful and inept. Obviously the frustration has gone beyond the boiling point and has spilt onto newsprint, TV, blogs etc. but its time to change the approach, and realize whatever has been tried in the past must be abandoned to create a better future for what all of you have dedicated your lives to. Get in a room, talk, yell, scream, curse, let it ALL out ( Just make it HONEST on BOTH sides) and lets move on from the POLITICS to the HARDWOOD....Just a thought

And again, its not all on you..
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BBallMD

PostSubject: Confirmed   Sun Mar 04, 2012 11:03 pm

Its confirmed .. Just checked the website and the quoted letter is from the Headmaster. Is someone trying to fool someone or ......? Let's play fair and I hope karma prevails.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ebe

PostSubject: Re: LM "AAA" playoffs are on hold due to potential legal action   Mon Mar 05, 2012 2:31 am

BallIsReligion thank you for your straight foward, respectful, suggestions I agree with most of the points you raise. I understand that I can be somehwat of a lightning rod for controversy on this issue but it is truly not my intention to fan the flames. If you view this thread you will see that I have deliberately only made a couple of comments as your point about trying to keep this out of the public realm certainly has some validity. However the truth is people are very passionate about this issue and are looking for information. I have to admit that I find it very frustrating when I read things that are totally innacurate and it is my hope to perhaps provide some basic background on some of the facts. The quote that I was referencing contains statements that are completely false and I believe it is important to point out the reasons why so others could come to their own conclusion. Trust me there are many people on both sides who are working very hard behind the scenes to look for answers but I am not sure if anybody truly understands just how complicated it is (including us).
Quote :
Get in a room, talk, yell, scream, curse, let it ALL out ( Just make it HONEST on BOTH sides) and lets move on from the POLITICS to the HARDWOOD....Just a thought
Believe me we have done this and will continue to do this and it is my hope that all coaches attend our AGM where we will be able to continue to present our ideas and all of the coaches will be able to argue their points and then we can hopefully vote on some solutions.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
baller1000

PostSubject: Re: LM "AAA" playoffs are on hold due to potential legal action   Mon Mar 05, 2012 4:02 am

ebe wrote:
BallIsReligion thank you for your straight foward, respectful, suggestions I agree with most of the points you raise. I understand that I can be somehwat of a lightning rod for controversy on this issue but it is truly not my intention to fan the flames. If you view this thread you will see that I have deliberately only made a couple of comments as your point about trying to keep this out of the public realm certainly has some validity. However the truth is people are very passionate about this issue and are looking for information. I have to admit that I find it very frustrating when I read things that are totally innacurate and it is my hope to perhaps provide some basic background on some of the facts. The quote that I was referencing contains statements that are completely false and I believe it is important to point out the reasons why so others could come to their own conclusion. Trust me there are many people on both sides who are working very hard behind the scenes to look for answers but I am not sure if anybody truly understands just how complicated it is (including us).
Quote :
Get in a room, talk, yell, scream, curse, let it ALL out ( Just make it HONEST on BOTH sides) and lets move on from the POLITICS to the HARDWOOD....Just a thought
Believe me we have done this and will continue to do this and it is my hope that all coaches attend our AGM where we will be able to continue to present our ideas and all of the coaches will be able to argue their points and then we can hopefully vote on some solutions.

Spoken like a true politician.

"where we will be able to continue to present our ideas". Your ideas? That is the problem. They are your ideas.

Every proposal that has been put forward by you and other LM coaches. has been designed to isolate and exclude independent schools at the Senior level in LM basketball. That you then feign surprise when they are rejected is getting hard to take.

Contrary to your earlier statements, independent schools do, in fact, compete in league play in other sports from tennis, to rugby and football (to name a few) with other LM schools. Also, independent schools do compete in league play at the Senior level in basketball in other zones like the North Shore and Fraser Valley (to name a few).

It is only the Lower Mainland Basketball Zone that has this problem with independent schools.

I would suggest that it is time for some new leadership in LM basketball. Perhaps coaches should not even be involved. Given the obvious bias and animosity that goes back decades, they can no longer think clearly. Alternatively, perhaps mediation needs to be considered or someone has to say enough is enough. Kids are at the heart of this and so far, no one has provided any evidence why independent schools should be excluded from competition. That is all they want.

They are all kids going to school in the LM. There is no reason to separate them based on where their education funding comes from.

As far as keeping it out of the public realm, I totally disagree. It is the very fact that much of what has been done here, has been done behind closed doors, that has allowed it to go on for so long.
If the public (read parents and students) actually knew all of what has happened here, they would be appalled. Instead, we have the LM coaches on one side, being the bully in private and then claiming "victim" status in public. On the other side, we have the independents, warily taking the high road, stuck between having to try to get along with the LM and getting what is fair for their students. After coming up against a brick wall so many times, there is a reason they sought legal advice.

So, I would suggest that the more that there is out in the public realm, the better. Or is the LM so embarrassed by their various proposals that they have never been made fully public?

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sportvictoria

PostSubject: Re: LM "AAA" playoffs are on hold due to potential legal action   Mon Mar 05, 2012 5:01 am

FYI - Here is the link to the St. George's 'letter' from the headmaster
http://www.stgeorges.bc.ca/podium/default.aspx?t=156805&rc=0

Technically, the headmaster it is accurate that 'legal action was never initiated' as they actually never did get into court.

HOWEVER, St. George's did have their lawyers threaten and intimidate the LMHSBBA.
The Vancouver Courier was able to obtain a copy of that letter.
This was a bullying tactic as it's common knowledge that athletic association's like the LMHSBBA do not have funds to hire a lawyer in defense. Also, if you include the fact that the St. George's coach sits as the head of the LMHSBBA, St. George's would have intimate knowledge of this.

Lyle Dhur
Sportvictoria
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://Sportvictoria.com
Pooch

PostSubject: Re: LM "AAA" playoffs are on hold due to potential legal action   Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:59 am

I am no lawyer, but I doubt that any group needs to fear legal action if their own actions are just and fair.
The LM zone always claims that their decisions are taken democratically and that somehow makes anything they do fair.
Just having more hands go up in favour of a decision does not always mean it is fair when the decision involves singling out a minority group for some sort of discrimination or unjust treatment. The courts exist to ensure fairness. They only intimidate those who feel their decisions reflect something else. A minority like the Independents, when faced with hostility of the public schools can hardly be expected to take these "democratic" but unfair decisions without at some point demanding fairness.
I think communication is the answer as recommended by others here as well. Not the kind of confrontational communication that can take place at a meeting of all the coaches where the minds are made up in advance and a vote takes place that day.
How about if Ebe and a few others actually just met with the private school people on their own. Be true leaders. Challenge the Independents to live by the same rules as everyone else if you think they are skirting the rules and charge them if they are not. Fairness again. If they are going after kids to attend and play at their schools, then that is not fair. Someone take the lead and do it with a positive mindset.
Certainly it cannot be about transfers, as all the public schools also have transfers. If it is about recruiting, then get after them or any public school that does the same, but don't just listen to the eternal rumour mill.
I watched the LM tournament and one thing I noted was how well all the kids from the different schools know each other now. Probably the result of all the clubs, provincial teams, etc. I saw many of the starters from VC, Tupper and South sitting together to watch the final game...and they are obviously friends.
The kids were laughing with each other and supporting each other to an extent I have never seen. Let's see if all the good people who are coaching can get together in the interests of the kids and the game we all love.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: LM "AAA" playoffs are on hold due to potential legal action   Today at 8:08 pm

Back to top Go down

LM "AAA" playoffs are on hold due to potential legal action
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 4 of 7Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next