HoopLife Forums

The opportunity to talk about issues affecting Canadian basketball from coast-to-coast

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Private/Public school championship is coming.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Sportvictoria

PostSubject: Private/Public school championship is coming.   Wed Feb 22, 2012 5:46 pm

To all those that are supporters of the private/public school championship;

You need to send a thank you note to St. George's especially and to a, not much, lesser extent Vancouver College.

With NO regard to the future face of basketball in BC, they may just have laid the last straw on the camel's back with the 'stunt' that St. George's pulled to get into the Lower Mainland tournament.

There has already been a lot of coaches talking about a private/public championship, but now it's going to be a roar. Not only will this push a back-burner issue right to the front, it most likely will galvanize coaches like never seen before.

Again - well thought out St. George's.

On a personal note - I do not want to see split championships. 4A system, yes... but all inclusive.

Lyle Dhur
Sportvictoria
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://Sportvictoria.com
Sim

PostSubject: Re: Private/Public school championship is coming.   Wed Feb 22, 2012 7:11 pm

Lyle, everybody needs to work together to make it work. We can't place the blame on one independent school or a few LM schools.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sportvictoria

PostSubject: Re: Private/Public school championship is coming.   Wed Feb 22, 2012 7:49 pm

Sim wrote:
Lyle, everybody needs to work together to make it work. We can't place the blame on one independent school or a few LM schools.

As I stated in my post - I don't want to see a public/private school spilt. But I can tell you, it's going to get ugly (uglier).
Back to top Go down
baller1000

PostSubject: Re: Private/Public school championship is coming.   Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:32 pm

Sportvictoria wrote:
Sim wrote:

As I stated in my post - I don't want to see a public/private school spilt. But I can tell you, it's going to get ugly (uglier).

And yet you keep stirring the pot with comments like this:

"With NO regard to the future face of basketball in BC, they may just have laid the last straw on the camel's back with the 'stunt' that St. George's pulled to get into the Lower Mainland tournament"
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BBallMD

PostSubject: Let's get real!   Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:35 am

We're looking at this as parents not as a coach. Our son has played club ball for the past 3 years. We have spoken to many AllBall parents during the summer seasons all of whom are very excited to share how their sons have been recruited by St. Georges! When asked about the cost of going to the school ... they have all said they have 'help'. So please let's get real. ... this is not a fair playing field and only a school like St. Georges can threaten legal action as obviously they have the funds to do so.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sim

PostSubject: Re: Private/Public school championship is coming.   Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:48 am

All schools, public & private, 'attract' players. Schools in every zone across BC have been doing it for decades. People bring up this rhetoric whenever they don't get their way.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JesusShuttlesworth

PostSubject: Re: Private/Public school championship is coming.   Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:54 am

http://blogs.theprovince.com/2012/02/22/lower-mainland-boys-aaa-draw-complete-but-zones-future-has-some-big-hurdles-to-clear/

Good article by Howard on this.. Some interesting quotes from the article from Ebe

Quote :
Q: What are the ramifications of what has been a very emotional process for both sides?

A: I think that the way this has happened, particularly being threatened with legal action, that takes it to an unfortunate level. And I think there are some people out there who will be looking at the complete separation of the public and private schools in the Triple A Lower Mainland zone.

Q: What might happen next?

A: This will be up to people to decide. My guess is that there will be some motions coming forward from our AGM to deal with what has happened. I would also like to say personally that I think when you go to the level of suing your own association, or threatening legally against your own volunteer association, I don’t believe that that is ever an appropriate way to go, ever. We can disagree completely, but ultimately you hammer it out and work out a compromise and respect the process.”

Seems like Lyle might be right on this one, seemd like alot of LM coachs seem to have taken this latest action by St G. very personally, I could foresee a complete split of LM public and private in the not so near future but we will see.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sim

PostSubject: Re: Private/Public school championship is coming.   Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:06 am

looks like one side is focused on solutions and the other is focused on lobbying(ie.playing the role of the victim). If the much larger Valley zone can find a solution...then why can't these guys.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
hard2thehole

PostSubject: Re: Private/Public school championship is coming.   Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:07 am

Should've just let Saints in to begin with. It's not like they're going to do any real damage at provincials but they are a decent team at the lower mainland level.

Didn't they threaten to sue last year as well? shoulda seen this coming.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JrCoachS

PostSubject: Re: Private/Public school championship is coming.   Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:09 am

[quote="Sim"]looks like one side is focused on solutions and the other is focused on lobbying(ie.playing the role of the victim). If the much larger Valley zone can find a solution...then why can't these guys.[/quote]

WRCA plays in the Surrey league. So there is no issue with any lobbying by the independents.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BBallMD

PostSubject: Attract vs Recruit   Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:11 am

This has nothing to do with not getting our way. We have enjoyed being part of the high-schooll basketball scene in a school that has never been close to being sucessful, but we have enjoyed the ride and our son will go on to play after high-school. We have been reading this forum for the past three years and this is the first time we have felt the need to say something. There is a huge difference between 'attracting' and recruiting. We now believe its time for a separation. .. after talking to AllBall parents and the legal action St Georges decided to take. By the way, we are not in the Lower Mainland.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sim

PostSubject: Re: Private/Public school championship is coming.   Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:12 am

JrCoachS, my post was intended to state that the Independents wanted to focus on solutions. I was at WRCA earlier today and it was great to see everybody getting along.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
hard2thehole

PostSubject: Re: Private/Public school championship is coming.   Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:12 am

and yes AllBall does recruit for Saints. leave it at that.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BallIsReligion

PostSubject: Re: Private/Public school championship is coming.   Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:01 am

Its not surprising that the East dominates in basketball. While B.C allows the old guards' timeless bickering and grudges shape its future, the youth suffer. Cutting berths, stifling tournaments, restricting players. Its time to snap out of the slumber, these guys don't even know what the Provincial Tournament grosses, never even thought to ask!What have they done to move basketball in BC forward? What really? Are we not trying to EXPAND and GROW high school ball not restrict it? Just look at the top 50 Canadians. 2 from out west. 1 seven footer (no brainer) and 1 self motivated gym rat molded from his brother and AAU team. The talent is here and there's a hand full of programs (DRIVE, 3D, ALLBALL the list goes on..) that are tapping into the enormous void left by this joke. I'm not saying I know the answer, but I know its not this!

The recruiting issue is not public or private. There have been no "super teams" assembled here in B.C. As in any sport, there will always be dominant schools in this province, other provinces and states for that matter. A hand full of kids will find a way to get to those schools. I equate this to coaching not recruiting, or co-hersing or resources. Players WANT to play for Goulet, Ebes, Couttes to name a few. These coaches give their lives to the game and that resonate with kids wanting a coach immersed in the game they love. Who wouldn't want play for Chambers, he loves the game. Disbrow is a pillar of BC basketball and is willing to give all he can to those who find their way through his doors. ALL have had transfers over numerous decades at points in their programs. ALL of THEM. The same figureheads on both sides of this mockery ALL have coached kids thru Basketball B.C, AAU, ALL Star games and have had kids transfer. Coaches will recruit through their reputation, dedication and record. Why point fingers at private schools OR public schools for that matter that student-athletes and their parents choose to attend ... let them go. These kids are not the property of anybody. They find ways to transfer, public or private.... for "french immersion" "Drama program" or "moving addresses" it happens every season in every province and state on this continent. Kids will end up where THEY want.

EXPAND THE TOURNAMENTS!
ENCOURAGE MORE KIDS TO PARTICIPATE!
STOP HANDCUFFING AND START ENCOURAGING! PUBLIC /PRIVATE MORE BIRTHS!!

Last edited by BallIsReligion on Thu Feb 23, 2012 5:21 am; edited 4 times in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
thepower

PostSubject: Re: Private/Public school championship is coming.   Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:11 am

To say that you were at "WRCA earlier today and it was great to see everyone getting along" shows that you are either an apologist for the Independents in the LM or someone who completely lacks an understanding for what goes on in the Valley.

To suggest that just because MEI and WRCA are allowed to play in Valley leagues means that they are accepted with open arms neglects 15 years of history with WRCA and 30+ with MEI. The Valley has never been as progressive as the LM in terms of a league for Independent schools. The growing size of the FV, largely as a result of Surrey, meant that even though those two were around (as long as a growing proportional % went through) programs didn't mind.

We've now reached a point with public schools throughout Greater Vancouver that it's obvious something needs to give. A few others on the site have suggested berthing Independents completely seperately to the BC's - whether that include VC, St. G's, MEI, WRCA, SMU, Collingwood, STM, or whatever Independent school might want a crack at the top level of basketball in the province.

With the current debate around whether to add a 4th tier, it's unclear what that might look like and irresponsible to project the dynamics of a 4th tier. That said, only two of the afformentioned Independent schools would fall into AAAA. Should Independent schools be given berths directly to the Provincial Championships, it's likely that only one would have a direct path to the BC's.

Isn't that where we currently are with the LM?

This comes from someone who played ball at one of the two schools in question and currently coaches in the public system. I see it from both sides - I don't want to exclude any school from a shot at the Championship, but there are inequalities that can be addressed with separating all Independent schools at the Senior level from public schools. Who knows, were it to stay at 3 levels, the Independents might even be given 1.5 or 2 berths automatically to the BC's. If we were to expand to 24 teams, there are options out there available to be explored.

The Executive of the LM is taking a lot of heat for ultimately trying to do what's best for the majority of their membership. Whatever your opinion of the issue, these are volunteers that have the interests of kids at heart.

Let's work to make things better.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mark Scott

PostSubject: Re: Private/Public school championship is coming.   Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:32 pm

BallIsReligion wrote:
Its not surprising that the East dominates in basketball. While B.C allows the old guards' timeless bickering and grudges shape its future, the youth suffer. Cutting berths, stifling tournaments, restricting players. Its time to snap out of the slumber, these guys don't even know what the Provincial Tournament grosses, never even thought to ask!What have they done to move basketball in BC forward? What really? Are we not trying to EXPAND and GROW high school ball not restrict it? Just look at the top 50 Canadians. 2 from out west. 1 seven footer (no brainer) and 1 self motivated gym rat molded from his brother and AAU team. The talent is here and there's a hand full of programs (DRIVE, 3D, ALLBALL the list goes on..) that are tapping into the enormous void left by this joke. I'm not saying I know the answer, but I know its not this!

The recruiting issue is not public or private. There have been no "super teams" assembled here in B.C. As in any sport, there will always be dominant schools in this province, other provinces and states for that matter. A hand full of kids will find a way to get to those schools. I equate this to coaching not recruiting, or co-hersing or resources. Players WANT to play for Goulet, Ebes, Couttes to name a few. These coaches give their lives to the game and that resonate with kids wanting a coach immersed in the game they love. Who wouldn't want play for Chambers, he loves the game. Disbrow is a pillar of BC basketball and is willing to give all he can to those who find their way through his doors. ALL have had transfers over numerous decades at points in their programs. ALL of THEM. The same figureheads on both sides of this mockery ALL have coached kids thru Basketball B.C, AAU, ALL Star games and have had kids transfer. Coaches will recruit through their reputation, dedication and record. Why point fingers at private schools OR public schools for that matter that student-athletes and their parents choose to attend ... let them go. These kids are not the property of anybody. They find ways to transfer, public or private.... for "french immersion" "Drama program" or "moving addresses" it happens every season in every province and state on this continent. Kids will end up where THEY want.

EXPAND THE TOURNAMENTS!
ENCOURAGE MORE KIDS TO PARTICIPATE!
STOP HANDCUFFING AND START ENCOURAGING! PUBLIC /PRIVATE MORE BIRTHS!!

Exactly.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mark Scott

PostSubject: Re: Private/Public school championship is coming.   Thu Feb 23, 2012 2:11 pm

BBallMD wrote:
We're looking at this as parents not as a coach. Our son has played club ball for the past 3 years. We have spoken to many AllBall parents during the summer seasons all of whom are very excited to share how their sons have been recruited by St. Georges! When asked about the cost of going to the school ... they have all said they have 'help'. So please let's get real. ... this is not a fair playing field and only a school like St. Georges can threaten legal action as obviously they have the funds to do so.

Innuendo. Kids and parents love to think they are being recruited. So they are ALL getting financial help....really?

Or maybe it was the kid or kids who wanted to go there because they thought it was a good school (possible?) or even that it had a good basketball program (as my son did, entirely unrecruited). Providing financial assistance to students to cover tuition (usually partial based on financial need) is not recruiting any more than providing free education is recruiting in the public system.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
hard2thehole

PostSubject: Re: Private/Public school championship is coming.   Thu Feb 23, 2012 2:15 pm

Mark Scott wrote:
BBallMD wrote:

Providing financial assistance to students to cover tuition (usually partial based on financial need) is not recruiting any more than providing free education is recruiting in the public system.

sorry, its not the same thing at all.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mark Scott

PostSubject: Re: Private/Public school championship is coming.   Thu Feb 23, 2012 2:16 pm

hard2thehole wrote:
Mark Scott wrote:
BBallMD wrote:

Providing financial assistance to students to cover tuition (usually partial based on financial need) is not recruiting any more than providing free education is recruiting in the public system.

That is true, it is a hurdle that independents have to get over. Paying a significant tuition is a major disadvantage to attracting students.

It is one of the reasons independents have never dominated. No one in Toronto complains about Upper Canada College, because the good players are in the pubic system and it is free. And even if UCC wanted to offer full ride scholarships, it is highly unlikely they could unseat the strong public programs.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
hard2thehole

PostSubject: Re: Private/Public school championship is coming.   Thu Feb 23, 2012 2:25 pm

Mark Scott wrote:
hard2thehole wrote:
Mark Scott wrote:
BBallMD wrote:

That is true, it is a hurdle that independents have to get over. Paying a significant tuition is a major disadvantage to attracting students.

It is one of the reasons independents have never dominated. No one in Toronto complains about Upper Canada College, because the good players are in the pubic system and it is free. And even if UCC wanted to offer full ride scholarships, it is highly unlikely they could unseat the strong public programs.

public school education is a right. if you want to pursue a private school education, that is an option you have, but not a right. privates offer better schooling, so if financial assistance is given to a student athlete who wants to go to a private school, that is not the same thing at all as the state offering public education for all.

i don't think you are correct on this being the reason why private schools dont dominate. VC and Saints have never ever failed in getting talent as there is a huge list of studs that have been through these schools in the past two decades alone, but for whatever reason they just cannot seal the deal when it matters most.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sportvictoria

PostSubject: Re: Private/Public school championship is coming.   Thu Feb 23, 2012 3:02 pm

Mark Scott wrote:
hard2thehole wrote:
Mark Scott wrote:
BBallMD wrote:

Check your sources Mark. Upper Canada is about to be kicked out of the Toronto league for the same reasons VC and SG were excluded from the LM league.
Back to top Go down
Mark Scott

PostSubject: Re: Private/Public school championship is coming.   Thu Feb 23, 2012 6:09 pm

Sportvictoria wrote:
Mark Scott wrote:
hard2thehole wrote:
Mark Scott wrote:
BBallMD wrote:

Check your sources Mark. Upper Canada is about to be kicked out of the Toronto league for the same reasons VC and SG were excluded from the LM league.

Lyle, the "source" you refer to is an article that I wrote. It was a parody and it was highlighting that some people in BC are so focused on their attacks on independent schools that they no longer see the absurdity of their prejudice. A socially acceptable prejudice among some crowds, but still a prejudice. Tell me why VC and Saints are not allowed to participate alongside other schools in the same zone? They are not allowed because the majority of coaches in the LM won't let them play for ideological reasons. There are only two AAA independent schools in the LM and they want to play in the same league with other schools in the same zone. What is the big deal? They want to earn their right to the provincials and are happy to do it in their zone on equal terms. That is the simple solution.

The reason I wrote the parody was to highlight the difference between Ontario and BC. Do you really think that the coaches at Oakwood Collegiate or Eastern Commerce in Toronto spend any time whatsoever worrying about Upper Canada College and how they are funded (for those who do not know, Oakwood and EC are public, inner-city, poorly-funded schools that dominate their leagues and attract the best players because of their excellence). Of course they do not worry about the independents. Do they worry about excluding them? Of course not.

It is not about money, it is about the commitment and the desire to build a great program. Some of the independents (and not all) promote the sport we all care about and have a culture of excellence in basketball. What is wrong with that? They don't dominate, but they are consistently good. Over 10% of the provincial students attend independent schools - they should not be excluded simply for political reasons. Sure there are some advantages at some schools, but there are disadvantages too to compete in a sport like basketball (basketball is not a rich person's sport), especially in a province that permits players to attend any public school they want regardless of boundaries, free of charge.

When I was in Toronto, I wanted to play for Oakwood and we did not worry about how St. Michael's was funded, we worried about Leo Rautins. In Toronto no one is saying I don't want to play against UCC because some of their daddies are rich. They go out and beat them down. All this whingeing and whining about not wanting to play independent schools is so weak.

Last edited by Mark Scott on Thu Feb 23, 2012 6:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sportvictoria

PostSubject: Re: Private/Public school championship is coming.   Thu Feb 23, 2012 6:42 pm

Mark Scott wrote:
Sportvictoria wrote:
Mark Scott wrote:
hard2thehole wrote:
Mark Scott wrote:
BBallMD wrote:

Lyle, the "source" you refer to is an article that I wrote. It was a parody and it was highlighting that some people in BC are so focused on their attacks on independent schools that they no longer see the absurdity of their prejudice. A socially acceptable prejudice among some crowds, but still a prejudice. Tell me why VC and Saints are not allowed to participate alongside other schools in the same zone? They are not allowed because the majority of coaches in the LM won't let play them for ideological reasons. There are only two AAA independent schools in the LM and they want to play in the same league with other schools in the same zone. What is the big deal? They want to earn their right to the provincials and are happy to do it in their zone on equal terms. That is the simple solution.

The reason I wrote the parody was to highlight the difference between Ontario and BC. Do you really think that the coaches at Oakwood Collegiate or Eastern Commerce in Toronto spend any time whatsoever worrying about Upper Canada College and how they are funded (for those who do not know, Oakwood and EC are public, inner-city, poorly-funded schools that dominate their leagues and attract the best players because of their excellence). Of course they do not worry about the independents. Do they worry about excluding them? Of course not.

It is not about money, it is about the commitment and the desire to build a great program. Some of the independents (and not all) promote the sport we all care about and have a culture of excellence in basketball. What is wrong with that? They don't dominate, but they are consistently good. Over 10% of the provincial students attend independent schools - they should not be excluded simply for political reasons. Sure there are some advantages at some schools, but there are disadvantages too to compete in a sport like basketball (basketball is not a rich person's sport), especially in a province that permits players to attend any public school they want regardless of boundaries, free of charge.

When I was in Toronto, I wanted to play for Oakwood and we did not worry about how St. Michael's was funded, we worried about Leo Rautins. In Toronto no one is saying I don't want to play against UCC because some of their daddies are rich. They go out and beat them down. All this whingeing and whining about not wanting to play independent schools is so weak.

Ya' got me on that Mark...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Private/Public school championship is coming.   Today at 5:04 pm

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1