HoopLife Forums

The opportunity to talk about issues affecting Canadian basketball from coast-to-coast

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

A note to all Coaches who happen to be teachers.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
ronh_pm

PostSubject: A note to all Coaches who happen to be teachers.   Sun Feb 26, 2012 3:52 am

I do understand that there are many things in life that are bigger than basketball. But to the the average teenager that has been working his ass off not only for the past 6 months, but in the seniors cases, for the past five years, there is not a whole lot bigger than the opportunity they have earned for themselves than playing in the BC provincial championships.

When you vote in your strike vote I urge you to follow whatever path you feel is correct for you and your families and I respect that choice.

But when it comes time for escalating job action where you are asked or pressured into not doing anything beyond the work to rule edict; when it comes time to lock the gyms, cancel practices and postpone or cancel the provincials, please ask how this is helping you and your family and also ask how it is helping the kids could well have thier dreams crushed.

We all have choices to make and I know sometimes the bigger picture is more importent than little things like basketball, but sometimes the bigger picture is actually made up of little things like basketball.

Thank you
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.vancouversportsevents.com
And 1

PostSubject: Re: A note to all Coaches who happen to be teachers.   Sun Feb 26, 2012 11:10 am

Is this really a possibility.I think this would be a horrible move and would very much effect how people feel about the teachers union.

ronh_pm wrote:
I do understand that there are many things in life that are bigger than basketball. But to the the average teenager that has been working his ass off not only for the past 6 months, but in the seniors cases, for the past five years, there is not a whole lot bigger than the opportunity they have earned for themselves than playing in the BC provincial championships.

When you vote in your strike vote I urge you to follow whatever path you feel is correct for you and your families and I respect that choice.

But when it comes time for escalating job action where you are asked or pressured into not doing anything beyond the work to rule edict; when it comes time to lock the gyms, cancel practices and postpone or cancel the provincials, please ask how this is helping you and your family and also ask how it is helping the kids could well have thier dreams crushed.

We all have choices to make and I know sometimes the bigger picture is more importent than little things like basketball, but sometimes the bigger picture is actually made up of little things like basketball.

Thank you
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Pooch

PostSubject: Re: A note to all Coaches who happen to be teachers.   Sun Feb 26, 2012 12:40 pm

Very well spoken Ron.
I agree wholeheartedly.
I believe that in the past, when action like you speak of was taken, teachers were allowed to continue with extra-curricular things that were already in progress. Let's hope that no action is taken regarding extra-curriculars at all, but I am hopeful that even if it is the BC's would go ahead.
The kids have so much to lose...I know I could never do it and neither I'm sure could most coaches. It is obvious from the time they have already given how much they care about the kids. All the dreams, the commitment, the incredible hours of effort....
Fingers crossed.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
hoopster

PostSubject: Re: A note to all Coaches who happen to be teachers.   Sun Feb 26, 2012 3:58 pm

ronh_pm wrote:

Thank you

I think cancelled seasons have happened twice in BC, in 1987 the fall seasons were started late during a dispute, and around 2003? The coaches I know
said it seemed like the right decision at the time, but it was the wrong thing to do. The coaches sent a very strong nessage to their union reps and the BCTF not to do this again. I think if the BCTF executive tried to mandate the cancelling of seasons their would be backlash from the membership especially the coaches and others that spend many hours with students outside of school. I am not saying that this won't happen 100%, but it VERY unlikely.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
coachb

PostSubject: Re: A note to all Coaches who happen to be teachers.   Sun Feb 26, 2012 5:38 pm

When this happened time last the Championships did go forward with many of the BCTF members continuing to coach, but it did cause dissention within the ranks of the BCTF. It is worth noting that in regards to High School basketball it is not just members of the BCTF that run the sport. There are many independent schools that compete and many volunteers who are not teachers that coach these teams. So where would you even begin to attempt to draw the line? The school gymnasiums belong to the province not the teachers, so the only action available to BCTF members would be to withdraw services. Would this stop the season? Certainly teams could in theory continue but without some very excellent coaches who are BCTF memebers. It could get to be a thorny and emotional issue, let's hope it does not come to that.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
M-5

PostSubject: Re: A note to all Coaches who happen to be teachers.   Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:53 pm

I find it highly unlikely that teacher-coaches would choose not to coach their team at this stage in the season. Keep in mind that most coaches coach because they enjoy it, not because it is an expectation (unwritten of course!). I would sleep soundly if I were you and expect there to be a provincial championship this year. Coaches and teachers are often extremely dedicated to their players and students, often beyond what comes across to parents and the kids! I speak from experience.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ronh_pm

PostSubject: Re: A note to all Coaches who happen to be teachers.   Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:25 pm

M-5 wrote:
I find it highly unlikely that teacher-coaches would choose not to coach their team at this stage in the season. Keep in mind that most coaches coach because they enjoy it, not because it is an expectation (unwritten of course!). I would sleep soundly if I were you and expect there to be a provincial championship this year. Coaches and teachers are often extremely dedicated to their players and students, often beyond what comes across to parents and the kids! I speak from experience.

From my own experience at Pitt Meadows I would never doubt any single person in the program, from Mitch the custodian, who though compensated to be there, puts up with and takes care of a lot more than I'm sure his job responsabilities entail, to the principal Mr. Dickson, who is faithfully in his spot cheering on and assisting with the all the programs anyway he can. It is not the teachers that show up to do the announcing one night and then stay in the classroom the next day at lunch to help the players with thier physics.

These are not the people I am worried about for those people "get it".

I was a union member for over 30 years in BC, and I am quite proud to say so. Though I seldom agreed with everything and often agreed with nothing, as a union member you are one voice in a crowd of many and more so than most walks of life, the crowd is a group of peers you have to interact with day in and day out. And in my 30 years I learned that sometimes the crowd can be very persuasive for you to see and do things "thier way" and even if you do not "want" to, you know that basically you "have" to.

It is those people that do not "get it" and those are the ones that I am worried about.

I do fully expect that the boys will not be caught in the middle of this and I also wish that a negotiated collective agreement, hopefully without work stoppages will be ironed out, but I just wanted to air a little experience I have in the matter.

cheers.

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.vancouversportsevents.com
okanaganbball

PostSubject: Re: A note to all Coaches who happen to be teachers.   Thu Mar 01, 2012 2:03 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=8_cO00JZqFM#!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A note to all Coaches who happen to be teachers.   Today at 8:06 pm

Back to top Go down

A note to all Coaches who happen to be teachers.
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1