HoopLife Forums

The opportunity to talk about issues affecting Canadian basketball from coast-to-coast

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

OFSAA AA 2012- St Catharines

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
CoachT

PostSubject: OFSAA AA 2012- St Catharines   Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:16 am

Thoughts on how seeding should go? Favorites, dark horses?

Seeding should be announced by Wednesday or Thursday this week.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
CoachT

PostSubject: Re: OFSAA AA 2012- St Catharines   Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:00 am

CoachT wrote:
Thoughts on how seeding should go? Favorites, dark horses?

Seeding should be announced by Wednesday or Thursday this week.

Teams that have qualified so far (in bold)

AA OFSAA in St. Catharines

AA OFSAA in St. Catharines

COSSA: Adam Scott/Quinte or Holy Cross/Nicholson
CISAA/TDCAA: St. Andrews or Bishop Morrocco
CWOSSA: Lourdes/Wellington Heights/Owen Sound/Sacred Heart
EOSSAA (2): Smith Falls and Perth
GBSSA: Twin Lakes
GHAC/ROPSSAA: ACMT or Pearson vs Ascension
LOSSA/YRAA: GL Roberts or Woodbridge
NCSSAA: St. Matthew
NEOAA: Timmins
NOSSA: St. Basil's
NWOSSAA: Fort Frances

SOSSA (2): St. Francis and Westlane
SWOSSAA (2): Forster/St. Pat's/Essex
TDSSAA: Vaughan Road
WOSSAA: St. Michael's

Back to top Go down
View user profile
coachc

PostSubject: Re: OFSAA AA 2012- St Catharines   Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:38 pm

Of the teams that have qualified I could see the seeds going something like this:

1. Smith Falls - defending champs
2. St. Francis - based solely on reputation
3. Vaughn Road - have had some strong showing against top T.O. teams
4. St. Basils - Could be ranked higher but .....
5. St. Matthew - Have played well against strong Ottawa teams but, who else have they beaten?

I could see GL Roberts and ACMT cracking the top 5 if they qualify. Since there is still so much to be determined, accuracy is quite difficult right now.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Xavier Rimrocker

PostSubject: Re: OFSAA AA 2012- St Catharines   Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:21 pm

Some updates and speculation:

COSSA: Not yet sure
CISAA/TDCAA: Bishop Morrocco
CWOSSA: Lourdes, baring a major upset.
GHAC/ROPSSAA: ACMT or Ascension; either should be seeded well.
LOSSA/YRAA: GL Roberts
SWOSSAA (2): Forster for sure and probably St. Pat's

Forster should get a high seed. They played well in tournaments up in the GTA and were the best team in SWOSSAA, regardless of classification. Ascension might win the ROPSSAA tier 1 championship tonight against Mount Carmel and finishing so high in a AAAA-dominated league, as well as some decent tournament results, will also get them some consideration for a top-4 seed.

This is shaping up to be the deepest AA championships in a few years.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Xavier Rimrocker

PostSubject: Re: OFSAA AA 2012- St Catharines   Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:43 pm

Nicholson can be added to the list of qualified teams.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CoachT

PostSubject: Re: OFSAA AA 2012- St Catharines   Thu Mar 01, 2012 9:02 am

Xavier Rimrocker wrote:
Nicholson can be added to the list of qualified teams.

Thoughts on the seeding?

My predictions for the 1\4 are:

3 St Francis vs 6 Smiths Falls

1 Forester vs 9 GL Roberts

2 Basil vs 7 Nicholson

4 ACMT vs 5 Vaughn
Back to top Go down
View user profile
lberto

PostSubject: Re: OFSAA AA 2012- St Catharines   Thu Mar 01, 2012 9:35 am

I would agree totally with CoachT's predictions and 1-8 rankings. Coachc is way off with giving Smith Falls the #1 seed if he bases it on last years outcome.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CoachT

PostSubject: Re: OFSAA AA 2012- St Catharines   Thu Mar 01, 2012 9:36 am

lberto wrote:
I would agree totally with CoachT's predictions and 1-8 rankings. Coachc is way off with giving Smith Falls the #1 seed if he bases it on last years outcome.

Actually, coachc was on the right path with things. 1 of the biggest factors in seeding is how your team did the previous year. You can't do much better than win GOLD like Smiths Falls did last year.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
lberto

PostSubject: Re: OFSAA AA 2012- St Catharines   Thu Mar 01, 2012 9:45 am

So your telling me if your 5 starters graduated that last years performance would still be relavent ?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CoachT

PostSubject: Re: OFSAA AA 2012- St Catharines   Thu Mar 01, 2012 9:47 am

lberto wrote:
So your telling me if your 5 starters graduated that last years performance would still be relavent ?

your performance isnt the only measurable but it does factor in. In regards to starters, are you referring to a specific team?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
lberto

PostSubject: Re: OFSAA AA 2012- St Catharines   Thu Mar 01, 2012 9:52 am

No team in specific just in general. I would think using last years results would have some weight but would it not be fair to use performances of a team in the current year.I'm not taking anything away from Smith Falls as I'm sure they are a solid team.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CoachT

PostSubject: Re: OFSAA AA 2012- St Catharines   Thu Mar 01, 2012 9:57 am

lberto wrote:
No team in specific just in general. I would think using last years results would have some weight but would it not be fair to use performances of a team in the current year.I'm not taking anything away from Smith Falls as I'm sure they are a solid team.

I think the seeding committee had a challenge in ranking all the teams. Bottom line is that if you want to win GOLD, you must win all your games, regardless of who you play.

I know that St Basil finished 4th last year and return most of their team, hence their #2 seed, similar to St Francis at #3. I think the strenght of their competition was also considered.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
coachc

PostSubject: Re: OFSAA AA 2012- St Catharines   Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:40 pm

I guess I was quite off, but my understanding about Smith Falls is that they lost their best player but many guys returned. I did not know that they lost all five starters as you suggest. Still, they have also had a solid season. The funny thing is that they got a worse seed last year and won the gold because everyone underestimated them. I am quite surprised at the seed that St. Matts got. I guess not travelling really hurt them. It is true that you still have to beat everyone to win gold. Actually, it is interesting because St. Pats, a few years ago, lost in the first round and went on to win gold. I dont know how often that has happened though.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
thehammer

PostSubject: Re: OFSAA AA 2012- St Catharines   Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:21 pm

Your right you don't have to win all of your games at OFSAA to win it you need to win your last 4 or possibly 5. I believe after your first game it becomes sudden death. As for smiths Falls getting the 6th seed. I believe if any thing a top 3. If you look at there team they return 3 starters from last year. 2 of them were there 2nd and 3rd leading scorers from last year. And the other one was there point guard. I know they lost there size but they play great team defense and rebound quite well. I think maybe the committee might have missed that. As well I beleive they still haven't lost to a AA school all year. I here Forster is very good as well as Basils. ACMT could surprise as well.
Very deep OFSAA this year and I wouldn't count St.Matt's out either. I beleive they play Forster first game. They are very well coached and they can shoot the ball extremely well. Nicholson could surprise as well another deep team that is well coached. the best game of the first round could be Timmins vs Perth. Let the games begin.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CoachT

PostSubject: Re: OFSAA AA 2012- St Catharines   Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:24 pm

coachc wrote:
I guess I was quite off, but my understanding about Smith Falls is that they lost their best player but many guys returned. I did not know that they lost all five starters as you suggest. Still, they have also had a solid season. The funny thing is that they got a worse seed last year and won the gold because everyone underestimated them. I am quite surprised at the seed that St. Matts got. I guess not travelling really hurt them. It is true that you still have to beat everyone to win gold. Actually, it is interesting because St. Pats, a few years ago, lost in the first round and went on to win gold. I dont know how often that has happened though.

I meant to say that you have to win the games that you play in. You can lose your first game and still move on. It was more the point that regardless of the seeding.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
lberto

PostSubject: Re: OFSAA AA 2012- St Catharines   Fri Mar 02, 2012 7:51 am

Reviewed the official seeding for AA and I don't understand how Perth is ranked ahead of Lourdes.Anyone have any info to support that.Did Perth not get in based on the fact that their region was alotted two teams based on Gold metal perfrmance by Smith Falls.I would think Lourdes is not happy as they were looking for a top 10 ranking.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
thehammer

PostSubject: Re: OFSAA AA 2012- St Catharines   Fri Mar 02, 2012 8:01 am

Who has Lourdes Beaten that would require them to be higher than what they are?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CoachT

PostSubject: Re: OFSAA AA 2012- St Catharines   Fri Mar 02, 2012 8:23 am

lberto wrote:
Reviewed the official seeding for AA and I don't understand how Perth is ranked ahead of Lourdes.Anyone have any info to support that.Did Perth not get in based on the fact that their region was alotted two teams based on Gold metal perfrmance by Smith Falls.I would think Lourdes is not happy as they were looking for a top 10 ranking.

EOSSAA automatically gets 2 spots every year in AA. It has been that way for well over 15 years.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
lberto

PostSubject: Re: OFSAA AA 2012- St Catharines   Fri Mar 02, 2012 8:46 am

My mistake, thanks for the correction, EOSSAA does automatically recieves two spots.Can anyone provide any info on Perth's record.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
John Stockton's Shorts

PostSubject: Questioning the logic   Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:08 am

CoachT wrote:
lberto wrote:

EOSSAA automatically gets 2 spots every year in AA. It has been that way for well over 15 years.

Can someone tell me why they (EOSSA) deserve 2 spots at "AA". Hopefully it is not a geographical size consideration. If it is this reason than Northern Ontario deserves the same consideration? Evil or Very Mad
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CoachT

PostSubject: Re: OFSAA AA 2012- St Catharines   Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:10 am

John Stockton's Shorts wrote:
CoachT wrote:
lberto wrote:

Can someone tell me why hey deserve 2 spots at "AA". Hopefully it is not a geographical size consideration. If it is this reason than Northern Ontario deserves the same consideration? Evil or Very Mad

Without knowing 100%, I would imagine that the number of AA schools plays in the situation as well as strength of the league with Cornwall, Kingston and Lanark county (Smiths Falls and Perth) having strong basketball programs.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
John Stockton's Shorts

PostSubject: Strength of Area?   Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:17 am

CoachT wrote:
John Stockton's Shorts wrote:
CoachT wrote:
lberto wrote:

Can someone tell me why hey deserve 2 spots at "AA". Hopefully it is not a geographical size consideration. If it is this reason than Northern Ontario deserves the same consideration? Evil or Very Mad

Without knowing 100%, I would imagine that the number of AA schools plays in the situation as well as strength of the league with Cornwall, Kingston and Lanark county (Smiths Falls and Perth) having strong basketball programs.

The ball being played in Sault Ste. Marie (St. Basil's), Sudbury and North Bay is not bad either. and the area is much bigger, not including NEOSSA (together the total almost half of the area of Ontario. Wink
Back to top Go down
View user profile
thehammer

PostSubject: Re: OFSAA AA 2012- St Catharines   Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:29 am

Checking the NOSSAA website I see there is 10 schools that are AA. Eastern Ontario has 23. No comparison. If you were to take the North they are split up into 3 areas NOSSA, NWOSSAA and NEOAA and predominately single A schools.The North are sending 3 entries already. I would believe out of all the associations EOSSAA has the most AA schools? Would I be incorrect?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
John Stockton's Shorts

PostSubject: Re: OFSAA AA 2012- St Catharines   Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:35 am

thehammer wrote:
Checking the NOSSAA website I see there is 10 schools that are AA. Eastern Ontario has 23. No comparison. If you were to take the North they are split up into 3 areas NOSSA, NWOSSAA and NEOAA and predominately single A schools.The North are sending 3 entries already. I would believe out of all the associations EOSSAA has the most AA schools? Would I be incorrect?

If that info is correct than the number of slots is equitable. Does that number include the Kingston and Cornwall schools?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
thehammer

PostSubject: Re: OFSAA AA 2012- St Catharines   Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:40 am

Yes. And some schools like TISS from Brockville and a few kingston schools are close to becoming AA as well. Most of the big areas usually do get 2 entries like SWOSSAA and SOSSA. I am actually shocked that WOSSAA doesn't get 2 bids as usually its a hot bed for basketball?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: OFSAA AA 2012- St Catharines   Today at 5:31 am

Back to top Go down

OFSAA AA 2012- St Catharines
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next