HoopLife Forums

The opportunity to talk about issues affecting Canadian basketball from coast-to-coast

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

OFSAA AA 2012- St Catharines

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
John Stockton's Shorts

PostSubject: School size demarcations   Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:45 am

At what does a school become a "AAAA" school. In probably 2014 St. Basil's and St. Mary's will merge (both schools have about 700 students).

At what point do they become a Quad A school? If they did that they could go to OFSAA every year!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Xavier Rimrocker

PostSubject: Re: OFSAA AA 2012- St Catharines   Fri Mar 02, 2012 12:06 pm

Answers to a few questions:

Eastern Ontario, along with Southern Ontario (Niagara/Hamilton Public) have large numbers of AA schools so they receive two slots. It's the same reason Peel, Toorntio Public and Central Western Ontario all have two slots in AAAA.

In all areas outside of Northern Ontario and the Muskoka-Parry Sound region, the classification policy is:
“A” = 1-500
“AA” = 501-900
“AAA” = 901-1250
“AAAA” = 1251 +

In Northern Ontario, it's:
“A” = 1-600
“AA” = 601-950
“AAA” = 951 +

In regards to the question about the St. Basil's/St. Mary's merger, they would be AAA as there is no AAAA in northern Ontario.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
John Stockton's Shorts

PostSubject: Exclusivity?   Fri Mar 02, 2012 12:14 pm

Xavier Rimrocker wrote:
Answers to a few questions:

Eastern Ontario, along with Southern Ontario (Niagara/Hamilton Public) have large numbers of AA schools so they receive two slots. It's the same reason Peel, Toorntio Public and Central Western Ontario all have two slots in AAAA.

In all areas outside of Northern Ontario and the Muskoka-Parry Sound region, the classification policy is:
“A” = 1-500
“AA” = 501-900
“AAA” = 901-1250
“AAAA” = 1251 +

In Northern Ontario, it's:
“A” = 1-600
“AA” = 601-950
“AAA” = 951 +

In regards to the question about the St. Basil's/St. Mary's merger, they would be AAA as there is no AAAA in northern Ontario.

After the completion of the school could the school apply for a "AAAA" rating per se? Or is it an exclusive club? Suspect
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Xavier Rimrocker

PostSubject: Re: OFSAA AA 2012- St Catharines   Sat Mar 03, 2012 12:13 am

John Stockton's Shorts wrote:
After the completion of the school could the school apply for a "AAAA" rating per se? Or is it an exclusive club? Suspect

See above in the numbers I listed. It's not that there aren't any schools over 1250 in Northern Ontario; the issue is that all schools over a certain size are classified as AAA. They can't apply because, in practice, AAAA doesn't exist for them. I suspect it would take a critical mass of AAAA schools in the region before OFSAA would consider a change to the school classification policy and, besides, I suspect most schools that size wouldn't support it. There doesn't seem to be any push right now as I can't recall it even having been raised at the AGM since I started following the proceedings a few years ago.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CoachNorth

PostSubject: Re: OFSAA AA 2012- St Catharines   Sun Mar 04, 2012 3:10 am

Seedings seem somewhat decent aside from the 6th seed for Smiths Falls. This is two years in a row that this team has been dogged by the seeding committee.

Last years team won multiple tournaments, knocked off many strong AAAA schools, and sported I believe a 45-3 record. Somehow they were given an 8 seed. None the less, the boys knocked off all of the high seeds and captured a gold.

This year, despite losing two extremely strong players, SF has maintained a very similar level of success. They've won big games, good tournaments, amassed a great record, and played some incredible man to man defense.

I don't understand how a committee can justify ranking the returning OFSAA Champion as a 6th seed when that team has had a ton of success and shown little drop off.

Also, in regards to Perth, Perth is an extremely strong team. They have been for years. They have great coaching, execute well on offense, and play strong defense. If anyone sleeps on them--- yikes.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
lberto

PostSubject: Re: OFSAA AA 2012- St Catharines   Sun Mar 04, 2012 7:03 am

CoachNorth wrote:
Seedings seem somewhat decent aside from the 6th seed for Smiths Falls. This is two years in a row that this team has been dogged by the seeding committee.

Last years team won multiple tournaments, knocked off many strong AAAA schools, and sported I believe a 45-3 record. Somehow they were given an 8 seed. None the less, the boys knocked off all of the high seeds and captured a gold.

This year, despite losing two extremely strong players, SF has maintained a very similar level of success. They've won big games, good tournaments, amassed a great record, and played some incredible man to man defense.

I don't understand how a committee can justify ranking the returning OFSAA Champion as a 6th seed when that team has had a ton of success and shown little drop off.

Also, in regards to Perth, Perth is an extremely strong team. They have been for years. They have great coaching, execute well on offense, and play strong defense. If anyone sleeps on them--- yikes.

Who has SmithFalls beaten that is ranked above them.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
coachc

PostSubject: Re: OFSAA AA 2012- St Catharines   Sun Mar 04, 2012 8:29 am

I don't know that Smith Falls has or has not beaten anyone ranked above them, or if they even played them, but the point is that they get no respect even though they won ofsaa last year. If coachnorth is correct, then they only lost two key contributers from last season and had similar success this season yet they still fall in the rankings? Last year, St. Basils was ranked higher than SF but SF had a better ofsaa showing. Both teams lost their best player from last year yet Basils is ranked higher again? Does not make a lot of sense. Unless the two teams have played each other this year and Basils won? Does anyone know if this is the case for this season? The same thing can be said of St. Francis. Regardless, a 6 seed really is not all that bad. You should still have the upper hand in your first two round matchups and then you play the 3 seed (theoretically) in the quarters which is a team you may have played if the top seeds were reorganized anyway.

The team that I cannot believe got such a poor ranking is St. Matts. Not only will they have to play the one seed in the first game, but if they do not win that first game, then they get SF the second and I believe SF is a top 2-3 team in this. Not a great draw for them. If St. Matts can upset the 1 seed in the first, then you will see the one seed vs SF in the second round and one of those teams will be out early! Still, the game of the first round has to be Timmins vs Perth. Let the games begin.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Xavier Rimrocker

PostSubject: Re: OFSAA AA 2012- St Catharines   Sun Mar 04, 2012 10:25 am

I think it's more about who is ahead of them than how Smiths Falls played though, granted, losing two starters and (I believe) having a lower winning pctg than last year was probably also a factor.

Forster was the best team in the SWOSSAA region, period, having beat all AAA and AAAA teams as well as some decent teams in the GTA from the higher classification.

St. Basil returns four of five starters from their medal winning team from last year and, from what the chatter in Northern Ontario says, is stronger than last season.

St. Francis returns everyone and was, like Forster, the best team in their region (which includes many AAA and AAAA teams) regardless of classification.

ACMT was an above .500 team as the onlu team under AAAA/AAA in the Hamilton league, probably the best in Ontario outside of the GTA (and better than some of the GTA leagues, IMO). They also knocked off the Ascension squad from Peel in their final qualifier, a team that would have gone to AAAA OFSAA if they had not declared AA prior to the region's tier 1 playoffs.

Vaughan Road was one of the four or five best teams in the Toronto Public league, a league that includes the likes of Oakwood, Eastern Commerce, West Hill, and Martingrove. They were a GTA top 10 team (all classifications combined) for much of the season.

Smiths Falls had another very good season but did they play, and have significant success against, teams from higher classifications in the strong regions this year? (Ottawa was not as strong at the AAAA/AAA level if the OFSAA rankings and relative lack of success in the GTA/Hamilton tournaments are an indicator). I think that's what it came down to.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Norman Dale

PostSubject: 7 damn points - and we have to play Catholic Central and Notre Dame   Tue Mar 06, 2012 6:50 pm

CoachNorth wrote:

Is this the same team that just scored "7" points in an OFSAA game? I believe that you might have either over-estimated the team or league a mite!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CoachNorth

PostSubject: Re: OFSAA AA 2012- St Catharines   Thu Mar 08, 2012 7:26 pm

In regards to Perth, I was more so stating that they have been a strong program for many years so it would be wrong to over look them. I didnt get a chance to catch any games. I was hoping that they'd be streamed--- sadly no luck.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
lberto

PostSubject: Re: OFSAA AA 2012- St Catharines   Thu Mar 08, 2012 8:48 pm

coachc wrote:
I don't know that Smith Falls has or has not beaten anyone ranked above them, or if they even played them, but the point is that they get no respect even though they won ofsaa last year. If coachnorth is correct, then they only lost two key contributers from last season and had similar success this season yet they still fall in the rankings? Last year, St. Basils was ranked higher than SF but SF had a better ofsaa showing. Both teams lost their best player from last year yet Basils is ranked higher again? Does not make a lot of sense. Unless the two teams have played each other this year and Basils won? Does anyone know if this is the case for this season? The same thing can be said of St. Francis. Regardless, a 6 seed really is not all that bad. You should still have the upper hand in your first two round matchups and then you play the 3 seed (theoretically) in the quarters which is a team you may have played if the top seeds were reorganized anyway.

The team that I cannot believe got such a poor ranking is St. Matts. Not only will they have to play the one seed in the first game, but if they do not win that first game, then they get SF the second and I believe SF is a top 2-3 team in this. Not a great draw for them. If St. Matts can upset the 1 seed in the first, then you will see the one seed vs SF in the second round and one of those teams will be out early! Still, the game of the first round has to be Timmins vs Perth. Let the games begin.

St basils was ranked more than likely do to their success at tournaments, beat St Joes,Burlington,J.L. Roberts,....lost to Beal by less than 3.....
Unfortunately the rankings of other teams was literally afull, I would say St Francis set themself up for success, Fort Frances, Perth, both were cake walks and J.L.Forester and St Basils were eliminated early do to poor rankings, no advantage for having being the one two seed their as a result of poor rankings by organizers, or was it !!!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: OFSAA AA 2012- St Catharines   Today at 3:16 pm

Back to top Go down

OFSAA AA 2012- St Catharines
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2