HoopLife Forums

The opportunity to talk about issues affecting Canadian basketball from coast-to-coast

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

AAA Provincials 2012

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
AuthorMessage
JesusShuttlesworth

PostSubject: Re: AAA Provincials 2012   Sun Mar 18, 2012 4:42 am

MVP
Ryan Sclater Terry Fox

First All Star Team
Jake Newman White Rock Christian
Isaiah Solomon Vancouver College
Ryan Sclater Terry Fox
Jadon Cohee Walnut Grove
Trevor Casey Terry Fox

Second All Star Team
Cole Penman Vancouver College
Trevor Severinski Pitt Meadows
Connor Morgan Mt. Douglas
Cameron Smythe Sir Charles Tupper
Ethan McKean Walnut Grove

Third All Star Team
Milan Mitrovic St. Georges
Khristophe Baerg White Rock Christian
Matthew Blackaby Pitt Meadows
Mitchel Goodwin Kelowna
De'Sean Monsanto Walnut Grove

Wink Willox Trophy Most Sportsmanlike Team
Tamanawis

Most Inspirational Team
Mt. Baker

School Spirit Award
White Rock Christian Academy

Telus Scholarships
Manjodh Dulay Tamanawis
Connor Morgan Mt. Douglas
Cameron Smythe Sir CharlesTupper
Cole Penman Vancouver College
Trevor Severinski Pitt Meadows

Best Defensive Player of the Tournament
De'Sean Monsanto Walnut Grove

Most Inspirational Player
Mitsu Iwai Pitt Meadows

Quinn Keast Player of the Final Game Award
Ryan Sclater Terry Fox
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CharlesII

PostSubject: Re: AAA Provincials 2012   Sun Mar 18, 2012 4:49 am

Now I know Tupper didn't place top 10 but how in the world is Cam Smythe left off the First Team All-Star? He was putting up some ridiculous numbers the entire tournament and Mitch Goodwin only on the 3rd team all-star? WOW!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
mikeyb

PostSubject: Re: AAA Provincials 2012   Sun Mar 18, 2012 4:57 am

I think the bigger question was how Jesse Crookes (Fox) was left off an all star team. Also thought Erickson Evangalista (College) or Daniel Collins (Fox) could have easily won inspirational player over Mitsu from Pitt.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JesusShuttlesworth

PostSubject: Re: AAA Provincials 2012   Sun Mar 18, 2012 4:58 am

CharlesII wrote:
Now I know Tupper didn't place top 10 but how in the world is Cam Smythe left off the First Team All-Star? He was putting up some ridiculous numbers the entire tournament and Mitch Goodwin only on the 3rd team all-star? WOW!

The first team All-stars are usually reserved exclusively for the top teams in the tourney, even though Cam had a record provincials scoring wise, (dropping 50 in Tuppers last game) I can understand Cam only getting Second team all-star, and like Tupper and Cam, Mitch and Kelowna lost 2 games in the provincials, they went 2-2 and with that record there was no way Goodwin would get any higher than 3rd team all-star.

mikeyb wrote:
I think the bigger question was how Jesse Crookes (Fox) was left off an all star team. Also thought Erickson Evangalista (College) or Daniel Collins (Fox) could have easily won inspirational player over Mitsu from Pitt.

I totally agree with Crookes, he definately should've been an all-star, played great throughout and make clutch shots in the final, hitting the biggest shot in memory for Terry Fox HS basketball, with the finals winner, kids got ice in his veins.
and I would've given Evangelista inspirational, I mean cmon the kid played with a broken left arm, thats, guts and inspiration if I ever saw it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sim

PostSubject: Re: AAA Provincials 2012   Sun Mar 18, 2012 5:21 am

Biggest Fox shot since Bret Anderson hit a fadeaway NBA 3 against N.Delta in 93 Final at the buzzer. Others might be able to fill in some of the details...I think it was to tie it and send it to overtime.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
And 1

PostSubject: Re: AAA Provincials 2012   Sun Mar 18, 2012 5:34 am

Explain to me why you keep Cam in a lopsided win other than trying to spice up your numbers.Tupper was BRUTAL this year.

JesusShuttlesworth wrote:
CharlesII wrote:

The first team All-stars are usually reserved exclusively for the top teams in the tourney, even though Cam had a record provincials scoring wise, (dropping 50 in Tuppers last game) I can understand Cam only getting Second team all-star, and like Tupper and Cam, Mitch and Kelowna lost 2 games in the provincials, they went 2-2 and with that record there was no way Goodwin would get any higher than 3rd team all-star.

mikeyb wrote:

I totally agree with Crookes, he definately should've been an all-star, played great throughout and make clutch shots in the final, hitting the biggest shot in memory for Terry Fox HS basketball, with the finals winner, kids got ice in his veins.
and I would've given Evangelista inspirational, I mean cmon the kid played with a broken left arm, thats, guts and inspiration if I ever saw it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
shoota

PostSubject: Re: AAA Provincials 2012   Sun Mar 18, 2012 11:40 am

sometimes the awards just don't make sense. seems like the awards were decided based on pedigree as opposed to performance. they get them right most of the time but certainly some notables not included this year.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
heynow

PostSubject: Re: AAA Provincials 2012   Sun Mar 18, 2012 12:58 pm

Its tough to satisfy everyone with awards but definetly a screwjob to Goodwin by making him 3rd allstar. Smythe put up some huge #'s, but it was on the loser's side of the draw, where games have the intensity of a grade 8 exhibition game, and he put up a ton of shots to get those #'s, not like he was shooting a great percentage. What's better, getting 50 vs Mount Baker in a meaningless game or Goodwin going for 38 (1/2 Kelowna's points) in a 2pt loss to Van College.

Same with Morgan from Mt. Doug, how does he get a 2nd all star? He had some good #'s against a Kitsilano team that had clearly thrown in the towel, that was about it.

Its fine to reserve the first all stars for the top teams, so how does Solomon get a first all star? He's a great player but he shot like crap and their team lost twice. Kelowna had a 2-2 record, same as Van College, and when you consider the parity of the top teams with a lot of tight games, I think there's more than a few question marks with the all star selections.

The tournament committee did Kelowna no favours when you consider the schedule and draw, and put the nail in the coffin by insulting Goodwin with a 3rd all star.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
shoota

PostSubject: Re: AAA Provincials 2012   Sun Mar 18, 2012 3:29 pm

i was more diplomatic but since you brought it up - you're absolutely right. Goodwin is probably the premier guard in the province more deserving than 3rd. i thought ericson deserved something since his teammates got 1st team and you're right the vc boys didn't play well if you look at results, shooting %...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ballislife74

PostSubject: Re: AAA Provincials 2012   Sun Mar 18, 2012 3:40 pm

heynow wrote:
Its tough to satisfy everyone with awards but definetly a screwjob to Goodwin by making him 3rd allstar. Smythe put up some huge #'s, but it was on the loser's side of the draw, where games have the intensity of a grade 8 exhibition game, and he put up a ton of shots to get those #'s, not like he was shooting a great percentage. What's better, getting 50 vs Mount Baker in a meaningless game or Goodwin going for 38 (1/2 Kelowna's points) in a 2pt loss to Van College.

Same with Morgan from Mt. Doug, how does he get a 2nd all star? He had some good #'s against a Kitsilano team that had clearly thrown in the towel, that was about it.

Its fine to reserve the first all stars for the top teams, so how does Solomon get a first all star? He's a great player but he shot like crap and their team lost twice. Kelowna had a 2-2 record, same as Van College, and when you consider the parity of the top teams with a lot of tight games, I think there's more than a few question marks with the all star selections.

The tournament committee did Kelowna no favours when you consider the schedule and draw, and put the nail in the coffin by insulting Goodwin with a 3rd all star.

First of all congrats to Terry Fox and Walnut Grove. They played their hearts out. Really enjoyed the tournament this year.

As someone mentioned before first team All-stars are usually reserved for players on the top teams in the tournament.

Goodwin had great games against Point Grey (20 pts on 9/11 shooting) and Van College (38 pts on 11/22 shooting).

A possible explanation for him getting 3rd team All-star and not 1st or 2nd might be his last 2 games.

Goodwin against WJ Mouat (10 pts on 3/9 shooting) and Pitt Meadows (16 pts on 7/23 shooting and 7 turnovers).
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sim

PostSubject: Re: AAA Provincials 2012   Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:22 am

Never been a fan of 3rd team all-stars. I thought the first team selections were pretty good. Isiah led the tourney in assists and steals and also averaged 16pts and 8 rebs. He was the best player on a final 4 team.

As for the draw, I do agree that Kelowna had the worst draw I've seen for a number one. At the end, you have to beat everybody anyways..but there's no way they should've been playing VC in the Elite 8.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
JrCoachS

PostSubject: Re: AAA Provincials 2012   Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:04 am

Just because you are the #1 seed you should expect an easy draw? This is the Provincials. Best of the best. Kelowna couldn't get it done. The only player going to play in the NCAA next year (Bunce) was a non factor in this tournament. Fox beat Island and FV #1 just to make the semi finals. Grove had just as tough of a road. The two best teams played last night in a game for the ages. Congrats to them both. Cohee was unstoppable this year, just wait until he puts on some weight and grows in to his body. Wow...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JesusShuttlesworth

PostSubject: Re: AAA Provincials 2012   Mon Mar 19, 2012 5:43 pm

I just want to again Thank everyone who made this years Provincial tournament at the Langley Events Centre such a success.

Thanks to all the coaches who've helped our young boys tread through the highly competitive and extremely exciting high school year of bc boys basketball,
to all the fans who came out throughout the year to the small and large gyms and finally to the LEC to help support and respectfully cheer on all the all the boys and their respective schools,
to all the volunteers who've put in countless hours of their time to help keep the spirit and energy for bc basketball at such high level for all to enjoy,
to the LEC and all who helped make the provincials such a joy to watch, for putting on a great week of basketball, for the interviews (how funny/exciting is it to see these kids get a chance to be intereviewed live in front of thousands of fans), for the crowd give-aways, for the great halftime shows (I mean c'mon can you get any better than that jump-rope team, they were unbelievable), for the great webcast (great quality stream, clear picture, and excellent in game commentary)

And Thanks to everyone on this board for making the 2011-2012 high school basketball season such a joy to watch and comment on, reading everyone's point of view negative or positive is always enlightening one way or antoher.

Cheers.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Coach Mike

PostSubject: Re: AAA Provincials 2012   Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:33 am

Jesus, very classy and poignant. Couldn't be stated any better. Thank-you to LEC, Basketball BC, Telus and other sposors and all administrators who planned, organized, managed and promoted the tournament like Howard Tsumura. We are very appreciative of you and others who love and respect the game and understand what it MEANS to these kids, coaches, parents and supporters. The event was nothing but first class.

The atmosphere for the finals was electric. Something I'll never forget. It had all the qualities of a major event, maybe as huge as the CIS Championship, which I experienced as a player. The game was so exciting and had the drama and feel of March Madness. Although we fell short the coaching staff and team will understand it was a gem and we will value that we were part of something great. As emotional a loss it was for the boys and coaches we asked them in the locker room had they known in the beginning of the season they would lose by 1 in dramatic fashion in the championship game would they still have made the journey? Unamiously they stated yes and they understood then that it wasn't all about the loss, but the journey that we embarked upon since the end of last season, the time we spent together and how we learned and grew together. It was a magical year. This is what it means for our kids. For all players it's not always about the wins and the losses, being on top or being the best, but instead, being part of team with a common goal, a purpose, a drive and a unity and taking a journey against the unknown and uncertainty, but growing together each day and building that bond and everlasting friendship and memories. This is what transcends every sport and makes being a part of a team so special and gratifying whether your player 1 through 12.

This is what we all need to be cognizant of when we comment on hooplife. These same kids read our thoughts and digest every word. We should exercise caution and compassion for every player and team. These kids give it their all for something they love. None of us should or have the right to levy insults are severe criticism to the players. They're only kids and we love them all for participating in a game we love. This Province is dominated by hockey and we should perform everything positive to promote this game in B.C. by supporting each other regardless of group or organization or affilliation you belong. For instance, I witnessed the close coaching fraternity over the weekend how they acknolwedged one another regardless of a win or a loss. Their a brotherhood and all spend countless hours to bring joy, sportmanship and dreams to all these young players. We need to follow suit.

On another note, people on this site have been complementary of Jadon. I know he is very taken by the comments. To him and us as coaches everyone our players made this a special year and played a key role. Our seniors Desean, Ethan and Charles were as fine a young men you could meet and their leadership and dedication defined our season and taught our young players like Jadon what it means and what it takes. I've been a part of their lives since they were in grade school and to see what great student-athletes they have become with their departure has left me and the Bergen's numb with emptiness. I want to take this opportunity to thank them and David, Mitch, Sheldon, Adam, Brad, Tom, Sam, Paul and Jadon for making this one of the most memorable times in my 35 years of being part of the game. I'll never ever forget you and what you've done for the coaches, WGSS, your families and supporters, the community of Langley and basketball. And as Coach Bergen said "Success is never final and failure is never fatal". Be proud.

To Steve Hanson and the Ravens. Congratulations on a job well done and a great season. Terry would have been very, very proud.

Michael Basketball
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ronh_pm

PostSubject: Re: AAA Provincials 2012   Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:42 am

Just a great couple of posts that sum up how great this game is to everyone that is involved.

I watched a lot of basketball this year and have come to appreciate more than ever, the commitment that so many people, starting with the players and coaches, through the officials and volunteers, the administrators and organizers and finally us, the fans make to this game.

All of these people and everyone of us, have a chance to add value, to support and to make basketball a positive place for everyone else involved. And I am seeing more and more that people are making the effort to do so.

It's not all good and for sure, there are things that need to be fixed, but it's easy to see that with all the passion, there is a will to get it right and that beats the alternative by a mile.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.vancouversportsevents.com
Coach Mike

PostSubject: Re: AAA Provincials 2012   Wed Mar 21, 2012 1:55 am

Ronh,

We want to thank you for all you do for the love and promotion of the game and how well and unbiased you report on games and players. Your passion for the game is undeniable and unequaled as a fan and supporter and we can only hope it continues. The photos and articles are keepers. I'm certain your passion is motivating the next generation to get involved and play the greatest game on earth. Congrats to Pitt Meadows and their great season. Everyone knows they were one of the most consistent and top teams for the whole year. They fell short at the BC's, but they know they were ballin all year. To the graduating players you had an awesome career and run. Hope you still pursue your passion and give back to the game in any form or fashion. This goes for all those who've played their last HS game.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ronh_pm

PostSubject: Re: AAA Provincials 2012   Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:37 pm

Coach Mike wrote:
Ronh,

We want to thank you for all you do for the love and promotion of the game and how well and unbiased you report on games and players. Your passion for the game is undeniable and unequaled as a fan and supporter and we can only hope it continues. The photos and articles are keepers. I'm certain your passion is motivating the next generation to get involved and play the greatest game on earth. Congrats to Pitt Meadows and their great season. Everyone knows they were one of the most consistent and top teams for the whole year. They fell short at the BC's, but they know they were ballin all year. To the graduating players you had an awesome career and run. Hope you still pursue your passion and give back to the game in any form or fashion. This goes for all those who've played their last HS game.

I will be back next season for sure and with my son now graduated, will be able to get out to more of the great games the Fraser Valley has to offer; might even venture into the big smoke every now and then!

As far as Pitt goes, I think if they would have folded after the Fox loss they would have been disappointed, but being able to go out and win their final two games took some of the sting out of that game. They were reminded that they finished 36-3; the highest winning percentage in Pitt Meadows very solid basketball history, so they are rightly proud of that.

One of the things that I hope is not forgotten by any of the boys (or girls) is that all the kids that even get to the provincials have to be made to realize how much they have accomplished. It is not easy being in the top 16-20 teams out of the 100 in the province. Only one team will win the title but the rest of the kids have to know they are anything but "losers", they are winners in every sense of the word.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.vancouversportsevents.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: AAA Provincials 2012   Today at 8:51 pm

Back to top Go down

AAA Provincials 2012
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 5 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5