HoopLife Forums

The opportunity to talk about issues affecting Canadian basketball from coast-to-coast

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

AAA Provincials 2012

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
vancity55555

PostSubject: Re: AAA Provincials 2012   Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:04 pm

Top 2 seeds knocked out anyones tourney now
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sportvictoria

PostSubject: Re: AAA Provincials 2012   Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:18 pm

simren55555 wrote:
Top 2 seeds knocked out anyones tourney now

Top 3 seeds actually.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://Sportvictoria.com
JesusShuttlesworth

PostSubject: Re: AAA Provincials 2012   Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:48 pm

UPSET CITY today at the quarters, played 3 quarter final games so far and the underdog has pulled out 3 in row, first VC over Kelowna, then Fox just beats down Pitt, and just now WRC puts away Tammy.

Lets see is Mouat can pull one out against Grove up next, I give them a good chance if they can work Ettienne in offensively and if Mouat can control the boards, I think they can make it 4 in a row for the underdogs.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sim

PostSubject: Re: AAA Provincials 2012   Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:53 pm

Based on seedings, teams in Final 4 are...8-VC, 10-Fox, 14-WRCA and maybe 12-Mouat if they beat 4-WG
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sportvictoria

PostSubject: Re: AAA Provincials 2012   Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:57 pm

Sim wrote:
Based on seedings, teams in Final 4 are...8-VC, 10-Fox, 14-WRCA and maybe 12-Mouat if they beat 4-WG

It's call parity.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://Sportvictoria.com
JesusShuttlesworth

PostSubject: Re: AAA Provincials 2012   Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:10 am

Sportvictoria wrote:
Sim wrote:

It's call parity.

Yep Parity is the word,
Been back and forth with the top 15 all season, some great games all year with lots of good teams out there,
The semi with VC-Grove should be fun to watch,

Last edited by JesusShuttlesworth on Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:22 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
realitycheck

PostSubject: Re: AAA Provincials 2012   Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:20 am

While there have been some exciting finishes so far, the overall level of basketball has been surprisingly low. Many games feature poor shooting, many turnovers and games being lost at the free throw line. While "big game nerves" can be a factor early in the tourney, I think we are still waiting for A team to settle in and start playing some high calibre ball. Credit to WRCA who seems to be stepping up while other teams struggle under the big lights of the provincials. Pitt Meadows' game versus Fox was perhaps the worst example of shooting seen in a long time at the BCs - I think Pitt shot below 20% for the game.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
And 1

PostSubject: Re: AAA Provincials 2012   Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:25 am

VC will play winner of Walnut / Mouatt

JesusShuttlesworth wrote:
Sportvictoria wrote:
Sim wrote:

It's call parity.

Yep Parity is the word,
Been back and forth with the top 15 all season, some great games all year with lots of good teams out there,
The semi with VC-Grove should be fun to watch,
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fox2030

PostSubject: Re: AAA Provincials 2012   Fri Mar 16, 2012 6:39 am

I was delegated to watching some of the games today via smartphone. I am still unclear what happened at the end of the Kelowna / VC game. It looked like the scoreclock started to soon on the VC inbound with 1/2 second left. The ball was not touched inbound, but the horn sounded anyway and then the referrees sprinted off the court? I hope that is not how it ended, but I talked to some folks that were at the game and they said that summed up the officiating for this game. Lucky this was Kelowna and not SG or a lawsuit would be going down. I picked the winner of this game to go all the way, looks like VC wins the Provincials and this game should have been the finals.

Fox got it done, wow they caught Pitt on a game where nothing went in. It looked like Pitt won every category except shooting %, they were crushed in that category.

WRCA over Tammy tomorrow. This team finally found it's groove. They have not played to their potential this season, and are finally playing with confidance. They have very good defenders and kids that shoot, see you in the finals vs VC sat night.

VC over WRCA by 10 in the finals.

Grove over Tammy by 5 for third.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
And 1

PostSubject: Re: AAA Provincials 2012   Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:12 pm

FINAL 4

College vs Grove - This can go either way. So far the much younger Walnut Grove team has been able to handle the pressure. IF Walnut can continue to hit there shots they will win as College is not a good shooting team but after saying all that College pressure D and experience is something else,,,,College by 4

Fox vs WRCA - another close one . Fox is well rested with dominate victories over Oak Bay and Pitt and are playing extremely good defence and can go 10 deep with no change. Great mix of BIGs and Shooters and have been to the final 4 last year... WRCA will go as far as Newman can take them but not sure that WRCA is ready for the best 1 - 3 -1 in the province,,,,Fox by 4
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sim

PostSubject: Re: AAA Provincials 2012   Fri Mar 16, 2012 1:38 pm

It should be fun tonight. All 4 schools have some of the best fans in the province.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
asiseeit

PostSubject: my pics for tonight   Fri Mar 16, 2012 6:47 pm

I am going to go for the finals: VC vs WR, battle of the private schools, could be a good one
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Naismith

PostSubject: Re: AAA Provincials 2012   Fri Mar 16, 2012 7:38 pm

Fox2030 wrote:
I was delegated to watching some of the games today via smartphone. I am still unclear what happened at the end of the Kelowna / VC game. It looked like the scoreclock started to soon on the VC inbound with 1/2 second left. The ball was not touched inbound, but the horn sounded anyway and then the referrees sprinted off the court? I hope that is not how it ended, but I talked to some folks that were at the game and they said that summed up the officiating for this game.

I was at the game and I am NOT defending the refs because the officiating was not good. But after the buzzer sounded Goodwin and a couple other Owls started complaining to the refs about the buzzer going off before anyone touched the ball. The refs then met at centre court and after conferring their decision was that the game was over. They did not run off without making a final decision. They didn't make the right decision but they did make one.

If Bunce had made those free throws this would have been the comeback that people talked about for years. Down 10 points with 1:30 to go. Kelowna would have won in OT because Penman and Soloman had fouled out. An unfortunate end to an otherwise amazing year.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
burnaby

PostSubject: Re: AAA Provincials 2012   Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:54 pm

Excellent semi betwn vc and w grove.
I'm happy to have at least one public school in the final.

I'm sure the boys that got cut from the vc team when all the bc team members transferred there are happy right now.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sim

PostSubject: Re: AAA Provincials 2012   Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:32 pm

Great first game tonight. Best basketball I've seen this week. Cohee's unstoppable in the open court. Will get better in half court as he gets stronger. Penman took over in the 4th. Solomon does the little things better than any guard I've seen in a while..ie.boards, steals, etc. Unfortunate a team had to lose. If WRCA beats Fox...we could have a Walnut/WRCA rematch again next year in the final.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Walnutfan

PostSubject: Re: AAA Provincials 2012   Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:48 pm

Interesting tweet:

@sd35wgss:Hey Gator Nation! Do you fancy odd numbers? Jr Boys finished 5th in BC, Gr. 8s came 3rd..Srs looking to finish it off!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ButterBaller

PostSubject: Re: AAA Provincials 2012   Sat Mar 17, 2012 2:55 am

Great second semi-final tonight with Fox winning 73-64 on the back of a dominating 40-24 first half. They needed every point of that lead as white rock came roaring back and twice got to within a bucket over the last six minutes before a string of fouls and free throws let fox close the game out.

Exciting basketball except for all the foul calls at the end of the game which had the white rock crowd up at arms as always. Credit to their players though for not folding and coming all the way back tonight as well as for finishing the season so strong despite dealing with a coaching change which is never easy.

I will admit I didn't think they would beat either Tamanawis or St. George's, or even make it to provincials in a tough Fraser Valley this year so hats off for getting as far as they did. I saw a young looking Asian guy running the show tonight, is that their new coach?

Looking forward to two great games tomorrow, I predict VC for third and Fox over grove for the championship.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CharlesII

PostSubject: Re: AAA Provincials 2012   Sat Mar 17, 2012 5:43 am

What is happening with Kits....they've lost every single game.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
realitycheck

PostSubject: Re: AAA Provincials 2012   Sat Mar 17, 2012 6:55 pm

Kits finally showed up today, winning big, but definitely a huge disappointment in the tourney. They are not alone as I think Pitt has to be a disappointment along with Kelowna and I think Tamanawis had a real opportunity based on their draw to make a run. The tourney was deep in terms of good teams that had a chance, but full credit must be given to both Fox and Grove for stepping up at the biggest time of the year to make it to the finals.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sim

PostSubject: Re: AAA Provincials 2012   Sat Mar 17, 2012 7:39 pm

It's hard to judge teams on the consolation side. The focus and motivation isn't always there once you've been eliminated...unless it's the Valley, Mainland or Island qualifying tournies where seeding is important. It was a deep draw this year with 3 big games on a Wednesday(with Kits, St.George's and Oak Bay losing). Full marks to the finalists...it's one of those year's where the top 10 teams will feel that they let it slip away.

A bit early...but who's going to be ranked number 1 in tomorrow's rankings?? I've got WRCA, followed by Walnut at 2. I can see Mouat, VC, Kits, Fox, Pitt and St.George's all in the top 10.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
shoota

PostSubject: This Ericson Kid is unbelievable   Sat Mar 17, 2012 11:00 pm

Just saw an amazing finish in VC vs WRC game. Couple of the VC starters fouled out and some of the reserves got some court time.

What is amazing is their player Ericson. Apparently, he has a broken arm (!!!) and rushed back (wtf?) to play for the team. What heart this kid has and imagine if he was playing at 100%. He might be overshadowed because of his quiet and humble demeanor but from what I've seen over the years, this player delivers consistently and is respected by his team and the opposition.

The final stats has his shooting at 2/4 from the field, 7/12 from 3, and 2/2 from the line. Amazing stats but what was truly amazing was how he willed the team back from way down when it looked hopeless.

Looking at the shooting stats of the team, it's too bad they didn't get him the ball earlier - oh well, it was fun to watch.

Playing critic for a minute, WRC won because they played a a good team game and VC didn't (it took some heroics at the end to make it exciting) - I think the coaching game plan of WRC was superior.

Better luck next year to all.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
JesusShuttlesworth

PostSubject: Re: AAA Provincials 2012   Sun Mar 18, 2012 1:20 am

What a final game!

Back and forth all night long, Grove with a 9 pt lead with 3 min left, and Fox goes on a 12-2 run to finish the game, amazing effort by both teams. Cohee hits an drving layup with under a minute left to put grove up 1, then after a missed terry fox three with under 10 sec they get the offensive board and Crookes hits a 15 foot jumper with 3 seconds to play, Cohee steps out of bounds on a baseline move in the last second. Game over.

And the Terry Fox Ravens are your 2012 AAA Provincial Champions

Great tourney put on at the LEC, good basketball, good people, great atmospehere, only a few weeks til Spring Leagues start up, Gotta love basketball.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
burnaby

PostSubject: Re: AAA Provincials 2012   Sun Mar 18, 2012 2:45 am

Yeah it'll be interesting to see how many teachers r involved in spring league.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sim

PostSubject: Re: AAA Provincials 2012   Sun Mar 18, 2012 3:23 am

A few thoughts,

Congrats to Fox. Great game tonight. Cohee is a special player.

The Evangelista story is a great story. He was the Junior MVP two years ago.

Let's just hope there's no internal pressure placed upon the teachers who do want to coach.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ronh_pm

PostSubject: Re: AAA Provincials 2012   Sun Mar 18, 2012 3:23 am

JesusShuttlesworth wrote:
What a final game!

Back and forth all night long, Grove with a 9 pt lead with 3 min left, and Fox goes on a 12-2 run to finish the game, amazing effort by both teams. Cohee hits an drving layup with under a minute left to put grove up 1, then after a missed terry fox three with under 10 sec they get the offensive board and Crookes hits a 15 foot jumper with 3 seconds to play, Cohee steps out of bounds on a baseline move in the last second. Game over.

And the Terry Fox Ravens are your 2012 AAA Provincial Champions

Great tourney put on at the LEC, good basketball, good people, great atmospehere, only a few weeks til Spring Leagues start up, Gotta love basketball.

And that folks is exactly what happened. Could not be happier for the Fox kids, coaches and school, just a great job. If there is such a thing as "Coach of the year" in Bc Boys Basketball my vote is for Steve Hanson; just a remarkable job.

Congrats to Walnut Grove who but for the width of a size 11 shoe, could well have been taking home the trophy; just a great team, coaching staff, and for the 2nd year in a row, even though our "Pitt Crew" did their best, and despite what the judges "judged", the best student section at the tournament.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.vancouversportsevents.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: AAA Provincials 2012   Today at 3:26 pm

Back to top Go down

AAA Provincials 2012
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 4 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next