HoopLife Forums

The opportunity to talk about issues affecting Canadian basketball from coast-to-coast

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

OFSAA Championships

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
IrishCK

PostSubject: OFSAA Championships   Wed Feb 29, 2012 7:03 am

Here's a look at the OFSAA 'AAAA' and 'AAA' Fields:

'AAAA' - Ottawa
Bill Crothers (Markham)
Collingwood
Eastern Commerce (Toronto)
Father Goetz (Mississauga)
Father Henry Carr (Toronto)
HB Beal (London)
Holy Trinity (Oakville)
JF Ross (Guelph)
Louis Riel (Ottawa)
Our Lady of Mount Carmel (Mississauga)
Pine Ridge (Pickering)
St. Mary's (Kitchener)
St. Michael (Toronto)
St. Pat's (Ottawa)
Ursuline (Chatham)
Vaughan (Thornhill)
West Hill (Toronto)
Westmount (Hamilton)

'AAA' - Windsor
Anderson (Whitby)
Catholic Central (Windsor)
Earl of March (Ottawa)
Father Michael McGivney (Markham)
Holy Cross (Kingston)
IE Weldon (Lindsay)
Jacob Hespeler (Cambridge)
Jean Vanier (Toronto)
Martingrove (Toronto)
Notre Dame (Burlington)
Richview (Toronto)
Sherwood (Hamilton)
Sir Frederick Banting (London)
St. Mary's (Sault Ste. Marie)
St. Theresa's (Midland)
WF Herman (Windsor).
Back to top Go down
View user profile
baller29

PostSubject: Re: OFSAA Championships   Wed Feb 29, 2012 3:54 pm

Why issnt there much smaller town teams in the AAAA divison like sudbury,kingston,windsor,chatham,dryden? Is there more berths given to teams from the GTA then other ofsaa classifications? The AAAA ofsaa tournament seems like the nationaly ranked team are predetermined to enter the tournament.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
baller29

PostSubject: Re: OFSAA Championships   Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:39 pm

what a shitty seeding for louis riel.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Xavier Rimrocker

PostSubject: Re: OFSAA Championships   Wed Feb 29, 2012 8:16 pm

baller29 wrote:
Why issnt there much smaller town teams in the AAAA divison like sudbury,kingston,windsor,chatham,dryden? Is there more berths given to teams from the GTA then other ofsaa classifications? The AAAA ofsaa tournament seems like the nationaly ranked team are predetermined to enter the tournament.

There is a team from Chatham in AAAA this year; Ursuline. They defeated a team from Windsor (who qualified last year for AAAA) in their regional final. There are no AAAA schools in Dryden, Sudbury or Kingston (or in any of their regions as a whole). A Kingston team could challenge the Ottawa AAAA rep (as could the Belleville/Peterborough region) but no one has for a few years.

The GTA has 7 guaranteed berths; 1 more that is basically guaranteed (unless St. Mike's is challenged for the AAA spot from their region) and 1 shared berth that is either won by an Oakville/Burlington team or a Hamilton team (which is not the GTA). In practice, they have 1/2 of the 16 predetermined spots. The other two go to the host region (which has only been in the GTA twice in the past 10 years since AAAA was created) and the defending championship region (which has always been a GTA region though that's based purely on merit.)

Personally I think that is fair because:

- they have almost exactly 50% of the province's population
- more importantly, they have an even larger share of the AAAA schools; at least 60% or more
- they have been the most successful area, winning all of the gold medals since AAAA was created and the vast majority of the top four medals each year

No one from the GTA is predetermined. If so, teams like Oakwood, Mother Teresa, D'Youville, and Pickering would be there this year. It might upset some from outside the GTA but the area has earned its share of AAAA berths on merit and the road to qualification in those regions can be pretty competitive.

Last edited by Xavier Rimrocker on Thu Mar 01, 2012 5:11 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Xavier Rimrocker

PostSubject: Re: OFSAA Championships   Wed Feb 29, 2012 8:17 pm

Delete - double post

Last edited by Xavier Rimrocker on Thu Mar 01, 2012 5:11 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Xavier Rimrocker

PostSubject: Re: OFSAA Championships   Wed Feb 29, 2012 8:20 pm

What has happened to the edit button? I thought I was editing instead of quoting my original post.

Edit: The button is back.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Xavier Rimrocker

PostSubject: Re: OFSAA Championships   Wed Feb 29, 2012 8:25 pm

baller29 wrote:
what a shitty seeding for louis riel.

What should they have been seeded? Remember that it was an Ottawa seeding committee so it certainly wasn't an anti-Ottawa bias.

The reality is that outside of St. Peter and St. Pat's, there was not much Ottawa presence in the significant tournaments west of Kingston; certainly not at the AAA and AAAA level. Like it or not, that is where the highest seedings will be earned. You can be sure that St. Pat's participation in the Henry Carr and All-Catholic tournaments was a major factor in their seeding. (There may have been one more though I know that a storm kept them from the Silver Fox.) Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't remember Louis Riel playing in the GTA, Hamilton or beyond. If they had dominated their league or if their league had a history of success at the AAAA level that might have offset the lack of provincial exposure but that wasn't the case.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
coachc

PostSubject: Re: OFSAA Championships   Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:46 pm

I believe that Louis Riel would have had to win the NCSSAA championship to be seeded much higher. The fact is that they have not really beaten top ontario teams. In fact they have a few bad losses. Losing to Life Christian Academy likely hurt them a bit as does losing to SRB and Earl. They did beat St. Pats once, but other than that, who in this tournament have they beaten and what other quality wins do they have? This could actually be good for LR because if they can beat the 4th seed in their first game, then they will take their path in the bracket after that. It is cliche to say, but you have to beat the better teams at some point to win the tournament so might as well start in the first round. I like St. Pat's chances in the first two rounds but beating the one seed and defending champs in the quarters will be tough. Gonna be a great tournament.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: OFSAA Championships   Today at 1:11 pm

Back to top Go down

OFSAA Championships
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1