HoopLife Forums

The opportunity to talk about issues affecting Canadian basketball from coast-to-coast

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

4A Provincials

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
HenryW

PostSubject: 4A Provincials   Sun Mar 11, 2012 6:25 pm

Rankings are out.

1 Harry Ainlay
2 Cardston High
3 Notre Dame
4 Bishop O'Byrne
5 Catholic Central High
6 Jasper Place
7 Bishop Grandin
8 Paul Kane High
9 Raymond High
10 Strathcona High
11 Henry Wisewood
12 Bert Church
13 Lethbridge Collegiate Institute
14 Notre Dame, Red Deer
15 Grande Prairie Composite
16 Lloydminster Comprehensive
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bballspirit

PostSubject: Re: 4A Provincials   Sat Mar 17, 2012 1:04 am

Great upset win for BOB over HA, never would have called it. HA bench scores nothing. In another great game, Cardston wins over JP. Overall a great tourny. Should be an excellent final. HA cannot turn the double win, football and bball. Strong showing from the Edmonton zone who was somewhat shafted in the seeding process, with the south zone totaly overhyped.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cash9

PostSubject: Re: 4A Provincials   Sat Mar 17, 2012 3:42 am

wouldn't agree with the seeding as edmonton being "shafted" and the south being "overhyped". look at the matchups and "potentential" matchups pretournament. the draw is based on zone qualifications and trying to avoid same zone matchups during provincials. the "seeds" don't mean much during provincials with the current format that ASAA follows when seeding any of it's provincials.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TLU

PostSubject: Re: 4A Provincials   Sat Mar 17, 2012 7:13 am

Ainlay had trouble with BOB size and went cold at the end. Did not help when Peterson got hurt and had to sit out and then limped through the last 3 minutes. Although the refs were not the reason Ainlay lost I thought the calls they made both ways at the end were questionable, they called some weak ones at both ends but let some important ones go at the very end. This game should have been the final. Bad seeding by the committe. Congatulations to BOB they played the right game to win
Back to top Go down
View user profile
HenryW

PostSubject: Re: 4A Provincials   Sat Mar 17, 2012 11:55 am

I agree the rankings were wrong. Bob finished third in Calgary zones and still got the 4 seed ahead of Grandin. They should have been ranked lower. Possibly swapped with Grandin. This would have had them on the Cardston side. I gaurantee if they would have done this people would still be complaining because they got such a low seed. The rankers are in an impossible position. Trying to get the best teams on opposite sides of the draw and also trying to avoid same zone matchups in the early rounds.

Congrats to Bob. I had a feeling there size would give Ainlay problems.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Thatguy101

PostSubject: Re: 4A Provincials   Sat Mar 17, 2012 12:34 pm

How would bob be ranked lower then grandin? Grandin did not beat them in the 2 games they played and unlike bob they had a relatively easy game with Wisewood. I do agree with you that BOB and HA should have been the final game and the ranking were a little wonky
Back to top Go down
View user profile
HenryW

PostSubject: Re: 4A Provincials   Sat Mar 17, 2012 1:02 pm

So where would you have ranked BOB? The highest they could have been ranked is 3. Then Notre Dame would have to be 2. Cardston 4. This would have had them on the opposite side of Ainlay. Then you would have the Cardston fans crying foul.

Didnt BOB lose to ND? Where are they now? Pretty sure Grandin finished second in the Calgary zone so they should have been ranked higher than BOB. Maybe Cardston had the tougher side of the draw with the number 1 team out of Calgary and the number 2 team from Edmonton.

So if Cardston beats BOB tonight (highly unlikely but you never know) are we all going to agree the rankers got it right?

Impossible position for the rankers.

They should go to an 8 team provincials. Zone winners and a host school. No wildcards no extra berths for zones. Put the teams just outside of Edmonton in the Central zone just like they do with the surrounding towns in Calgary.

Then its win or go home.

Last edited by HenryW on Sat Mar 17, 2012 1:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TLU

PostSubject: Re: 4A Provincials   Sat Mar 17, 2012 1:07 pm

I am no expert but I don't beleive rankings should be based solely on the last tournament played like the city championships. Overall record etc. For example if ainlay would have lost in the city championships they should remain higher than Cardston and perhaps even BOB based on their record throughout the year. BOB had one bad game and they drop down. It is a difficult process. I guess we will see what happens tonight. I can't see Cardston beating BOB and I am sure Ainlay and JP won't care much about their game.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
HenryW

PostSubject: Re: 4A Provincials   Sat Mar 17, 2012 1:18 pm

I think the rankers got it right. As far as I can tell Notre Dame and BOB had the exact same record in there zone.They each had 1 loss. The big thing is BOB lost to ND. So ND has to be ranked above them. I have no idea what there records were outside of this so I can only base it on this. Like I said before the only place they could go was 3 but that would have to drop Cardston down to 4.

Really tough spot for the rankers. As we all know hindsight is 20-20.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Southfan

PostSubject: Re: 4A Provincials   Sun Mar 18, 2012 12:42 am

Well folks, Cardston beats BOB by 6 in final and Earned it!!!!! So through out all the "The South was over Hyped"
Man was that place packed and rocking!!! Congrats to Cardston on a great season and win!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bballspirit

PostSubject: Re: 4A Provincials   Sun Mar 18, 2012 2:06 am

Yes congrats Cardston on the win and being great hosts. They were clearly the best team, with everyone contributing and this is the first time I have seen full 5 player line changes, very impressive. However, I would like to point out that Edmonton finished 3, 4 5 and 8th and Cardston was theone very bright spot for the south. Awesome season of hoops. Just a comment, we played Raymond Friday night and were expecting a full rowdy house, but the crowd was small. What gives? Does a provincial game against a non rival school not generate any interest? We thought the place would be packed and hostile.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TLU

PostSubject: Re: 4A Provincials   Sun Mar 18, 2012 12:29 pm

Interesting how games can go. Ainlay beats JP by 30 regularly, Notre Dame beats BOB, BOB barely beats Ainlay, previously Ainlay beats Cardston, Cardston barely beats JP etc, etc. I guess that is what makes high school basketball so great in Alberta, anybody can win on any given day.
Congratulations to Cardston. I hear Cardston played a zone after discussing defensive strategies with the Ainaly coach, which Ainlay should have done against BOB. George Hoyt refuses to play zone, his one weakness. Ainlay cannot match up with BOB size so make them shoot from the outside. Carston was well coached and played to their strengths and used the hometown crowd to carry them to a provincial title. I am glad for Cardston, they were gracious hosts and humble, nothing compared to the other southern group known as Raymond. Although an Edmonton fan, if an Edmonton team couldn't win I would cheer for Cardston anyday they are a classy school, have classy fans, and what a great legacy to win at home.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: 4A Provincials   Sun Mar 18, 2012 12:35 pm

What was bishop o'byrne thinking partying until at least 2 am in their hotel in Lethbridge after their semi-final win against Harry Ainlay??? Management shut them down at that time, told them to get out of the hallways and who knows if they continued on in their rooms until 4am. Extremely premature since they hadn't won anything yet. Weren't they there for the big prize? Poor judgement on the coach and parent's behalf to let that happen. You squandered an opportunity that other teams had been working for for three years and I know for a fact took much more seriously. You must be kicking yourselves today. CONGRATS CARDSTON!
Back to top Go down
Pawn

PostSubject: Re: 4A Provincials   Sun Mar 18, 2012 4:45 pm

This was BOB's first time in the provincial final. Cardston on the other hand lost badly a couple of years ago to Raymond. The sting of that loss and the fact that they have not been able to secure a provinial title since 1954 was all the motivation they needed. I know I like all the other avid fans in Carfston have been waiting to see this for a very long time and I couldn't be more proud of the hard work and class that coach Leavitt and the boys have put forth all year. This is a team that wasn't expected to do too much and even up through the final was considered to be over rated. What people don't know is how united the team has always been. There were even cuts to a couple of players at the start of the year that coach reversed when the other players of the team asked coach to keep their friends and they would give up their playing time. Their unselfish 5 on and off team play is what gave all of these boys the confidence to play the game of their lives yesterday. Coach was there to build men out of boys first and a championship team second. This win couldn't have gone to a nicer group of kids or a more honorable coaching staff. 

Way to go Cougars, you earned it!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bobcat

PostSubject: Partying?   Sun Mar 18, 2012 6:14 pm

Writing that Bishop O'Byrne was partying to 4 in the morning is ridiculous! I stayed at the hotel and it was the Notre Dame and Bishop Grandin boys who were up late and not the O'Byrne boys so get your facts straight please. The Bobcats knew they had a tough game coming with cardston and perhaps were affected by the enormous crowd. They simply could not hit any shots and were 8-22 from the free throw line. It is tough to come back and play after playing the game of the year the night before against Ainlay.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Pawn

PostSubject: Re: 4A Provincials   Sun Mar 18, 2012 6:23 pm

I grew up in Cardston but have lived in south Calgary for years. Bob is only a few minutes from where I live and I would be very surprised if they partied that night. I hear nothing but good things about those kids. Thanks for clearing that up Bobcat.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
canuck

PostSubject: start to finish   Sun Mar 18, 2012 9:18 pm

Congrats to the Cougars on an outstanding season and an entertaining win over a talented Bishop O'Byrne team. The crowd was definitely there (and the fire marshal wasn't happy with all the stairways being full!)

Great win to a classy program - great sportsmanship on both sides of the ball at this game. And no coaching embarrassments from either coach!
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: 4A Provincials   Sun Mar 18, 2012 9:52 pm

Bobcat, I defer to your knowledge. I clearly saw BOB boys on my floor, the fourth. If you think not, if you're a parent and know better, I apologize.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 4A Provincials   Today at 6:39 am

Back to top Go down

4A Provincials
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
HoopLife Forums :: High School :: Alberta-
Jump to: