HoopLife Forums

The opportunity to talk about issues affecting Canadian basketball from coast-to-coast

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Top 10 for next season 2012-2013

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage

PostSubject: Re: Top 10 for next season 2012-2013   Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:16 pm

SurreyBall wrote:
1.WRCA- Tyus Allen is tough to handle, Spangehl is a tough inside player and they got good shooters.
2.Grove- Cohee was unbelievable in the tournament considering hes in Grade 10. Look for him to lead this team again.
3.Kitsilano- Luka is a go to guy for these guys, team won BC's in Grade 9.
4. St Georges- Juniors are strong and have a couple of solid retunring seniors.
5.Yale- Are well coached, best player benoit? is a stud he was only in Grade 9 this year and led his team to the BC's. Very young team.
6.Mouat- Tristan and Corey will shoulder a heavy load for these hawks they will be competing for the banner next year.
7.VC- Junior's coming up are solid, will kind of be like the WRCA of this year.
8.Seaquam- Team was very young this year with a lot of 10's, they will surprise a lot of people. Also well coached.
9.Terry Fox- Steve Hanson is a great coach and Fox wont be a banner favorite but are almost a lock for a BC berth.
10.Tamanawis- Sukhjot is a stud and will get some help from a underacheiving junior squad.
10.Pitt Meadows- Don't know whos left of this team but Goulet will make things happen and make sure his team is competing for a BC berth.
10.Claremont- Won the Jr BC's this year will be decent if not good.

HM: ND, Tweedsmuir, Belmont, Churchill

the top 3 in frasers have to be mouat wrca n grove, yales not gonna be ahead of them..... Seaquams gonna be decent but nothing better then top 16 in frasers, teams like tweedsmuir enver ND all had better seasons and have almost thier whole team back.
Tamanawas is just at the same level as seaquam they lose everyone that played major minutes besides amit and sukhjot, and thats not gonna be enough to carry them to BCs
Back to top Go down
BB fanatic

PostSubject: Re: Top 10 for next season 2012-2013   Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:52 pm

bball81 wrote:
SurreyBall wrote:
1.WRCA- Tyus Allen is tough to handle, Spangehl is a tough inside player and they got good shooters.
2.Grove- Cohee was unbelievable in the tournament considering hes in Grade 10. Look for him to lead this team again.
5.Yale- Are well coached, best player benoit? is a stud he was only in Grade 9 this year and led his team to the BC's. Very young team.
6.Mouat- Tristan and Corey will shoulder a heavy load for these hawks they will be competing for the banner next year.
8.Seaquam- Team was very young this year with a lot of 10's, they will surprise a lot of people. Also well coached.
9.Terry Fox- Steve Hanson is a great coach and Fox wont be a banner favorite but are almost a lock for a BC berth.
10.Tamanawis- Sukhjot is a stud and will get some help from a underacheiving junior squad.
10.Pitt Meadows- Don't know whos left of this team but Goulet will make things happen and make sure his team is competing for a BC berth.

the top 3 in frasers have to be mouat wrca n grove, yales not gonna be ahead of them..... Seaquams gonna be decent but nothing better then top 16 in frasers, teams like tweedsmuir enver ND all had better seasons and have almost thier whole team back.
Tamanawas is just at the same level as seaquam they lose everyone that played major minutes besides amit and sukhjot, and thats not gonna be enough to carry them to BCs

Never discount Yale out. They manage to bring in good basketball players from other regions/schools every year. This year it was Benoit. They clearly are the best at doing this in the pulic schools. Al Friesen ( is very good coach), has connections and the type of basketball played at this school is a run and gun style, which kids just love to play. Expect Yale to Challenge for Fraser Valley... they will be good!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Islandview2

PostSubject: Re: Top 10 for next season 2012-2013   Wed Mar 21, 2012 3:36 pm

bball81 wrote:
BasketballFan wrote:
and wouldnt you think that either Enver Creek or Tweedy would be ahead of elgin and possibly one or more teams for top 15.?

i agree with you... i dont think elgin should be in the top 15 or even the HM.... Enver Tweeds and ND are all better then them..... Enver lost all the height they had Justin bhangoo and rajan are gone, so post play will be a problem for them next year but the rest of the team is back, their backcourt is solid with Gurkirat and Nichalaus...

Lord tweedsmuir returns 3 starters, and these 3 (bradyn, pavan and paarus) were there best players and are gonna be a lot better nxt season, pavan and paarus can score 20-30 points a game with ease, and this is a team that can beat anyone in BC and at the same time lose to anyone as well

ND is a team that i think could be in the top 10 next year, they are at the same level as yale and may even be better, they lose 2 of their starters and 3 players all together, Harbir phool was their best player last year and hes back along with manvir gahir who has been playing up since grade 9, this team has a lot of size and depth at every position
i think frasers will probably look something like this next year
1. Walnut grove
2. WRCA
3. WJ Mouat
4. ND
5. Yale
6. Pitt Meadows
7. Enver Creek
8. Lord Tweedsmuir
9. Gleneagle
10. Terry Fox
after this its a whole bunch of teams like Elgin tamanawas Sardis Fleetwood Fraser heights Panorama Centennial

Claremont will be good -- their junior team was very talented one through five and had decent size. Combined with the senior returnees, they should challenge for BC Top 10

Oak Bay will also be good. Provincial team player Matt Hampton (injured for BCs) and Liam Horn will be back, and they will be supplemented by a solid group of juniors.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
SurreyBall

PostSubject: Re: Top 10 for next season 2012-2013   Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:33 pm

bball81 wrote:
SurreyBall wrote:

Yale will be competing with Mouat for that 3rd fraser spot. I think Yale is going to surprise a lot of people like you with a youth heavy team coming off a cinderella run to the BC's, no one had this team going to the BC's instead they had teams like Enver, Tweeds and Delta coming in who didnt come close to the BC's except EC. Seaquam is going to be the darkhorse in the frasers believe me i watched this team play their players are all young and they got a great coach look for them to be competing for a BC spot. Tamanawis will be a guard oriented team and seeing that they don't even use their big men a lot i see this team making a deep run next year.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Woodenpaidhisplayers2

PostSubject: heres the thing   Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:26 pm

Can you imagine a provincial team kid sitting and typing this on his computer during spring break? Could you see Nash, Scrubb or Kendall wasting his day looking at his navel and pounding out useless drivel about who should, could or will be ranked at the end of next season?!

A coach of mine once said some wonder what happens, some watch what happens and some make things happen. Which one are you?

I guarantee you that the team who has the most players typing this ranking crap and buying into it will finish last. And if its adults writing it, y'all need to get a life.

The offseason is very short and you guys should be lifting weights, running and form shooting while getting a better skill set.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JesusShuttlesworth

PostSubject: Re: Top 10 for next season 2012-2013   Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:23 am

Woodenpaidhisplayers2 wrote:
Can you imagine a provincial team kid sitting and typing this on his computer during spring break? Could you see Nash, Scrubb or Kendall wasting his day looking at his navel and pounding out useless drivel about who should, could or will be ranked at the end of next season?!

A coach of mine once said some wonder what happens, some watch what happens and some make things happen. Which one are you?

I guarantee you that the team who has the most players typing this ranking crap and buying into it will finish last. And if its adults writing it, y'all need to get a life.

The offseason is very short and you guys should be lifting weights, running and form shooting while getting a better skill set.

One of the most important things I've learned is not to debate with a negative person. A negative person likely has very staunch views and isn’t going to change that just because of what you said. Whatever you say, they can find 10 different reasons to back up their viewpoint. The discussion will just swirl into more negativity, and you pull yourself down in the process.

Negative people aren’t just negative to others. They’re also negative to themselves. Some people complain as a way of crying for help. They may not be conscious of it though, so their comments come across as complaints rather than requests.

Through the years I've been initially taken aback by the negativity of certain people, and I eventually learned to manage it and channel it into conscious action. You can give constructive comments, and if the person rebutts with no signs of backing down, I've learned not to engage any further but continually learn from immature comments or remarks.

But to each his own.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Top 10 for next season 2012-2013   Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:36 am

Then we should just shut down this forum, and if you are commenting on this, you are in the same boat as everyone.... things like this is what makes it interesting..... if noone talked bout basketball some people will just lose interest

and i know people arguing on here about which team is better isnt gonna do anything, its not gonna change who comes 1st or last, i can argue with surrey ball or others about if yale is gonna be top 3 or not or if seaquams going to be good its not gonna change anything, and everyone bases their rankings on who they have seen playing..... this is just for fun
Back to top Go down
Woodenpaidhisplayers2

PostSubject: Re: Top 10 for next season 2012-2013   Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:52 am

JesusShuttlesworth wrote:

One of the most important things I've learned is not to debate with a negative person. A negative person likely has very staunch views and isn’t going to change that just because of what you said. Whatever you say, they can find 10 different reasons to back up their viewpoint. The discussion will just swirl into more negativity, and you pull yourself down in the process.

Negative people aren’t just negative to others. They’re also negative to themselves. Some people complain as a way of crying for help. They may not be conscious of it though, so their comments come across as complaints rather than requests.

Through the years I've been initially taken aback by the negativity of certain people, and I eventually learned to manage it and channel it into conscious action. You can give constructive comments, and if the person rebutts with no signs of backing down, I've learned not to engage any further but continually learn from immature comments or remarks.

But to each his own.

For a guy who has uploaded his own avatar and probably gets paid to coach kids seemingly worthless offensive moves like a step back jumpers and floaters, you do seem to witness alot of hoops and for the most part seem to offer positive info on many teams. My intent was not to be negative towards you but the uselessness of this ranking process. Yes I read it from time to time, but just as you debate my post, I feel a need to tell teams like Tweedsmuir that you really have no clue about how winning teams and players operate.

However....i digress (EXHIBIT #1)

As we see below you having no mention of Terry Fox. THE WINNER OF THE AAA TOURNAMENT!!!

JesusShuttlesworth

Replies: 6
Views: 1333
Search in: BC Seniors Subject: Who will make The Province's Top 10 Tue Nov 22, 2011 12:10 am
1. VC: Isaiah, Cole and Abubakar Khan
2. Kelowna: Bunce, Goodwin and Truss
3. St. Georges: Milan, Sajen, Braeyden and Deklan
4. Walnut Grove: Cohee, Monture and Monsanto
5. Mouatt: Friessen, Coy and Tristan
6. WRCA: Jake Newman
7. Kits: Burton, Luka, Dawson, and Stewan
8. Tupper: Cam Smythe and Daniel Kim
9. Pitt: Trevor, Matt and Mitsu
10. Burnaby South: Nick, Quentin and George Kovac

EDIT: My mistake should've been George Kovac at Burnaby South NOT Kenny George. Lol sorry for the confusion.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sim

PostSubject: Re: Top 10 for next season 2012-2013   Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:15 pm

At least we got a few days of joint harmony following the provincials. As expected, somebody had to crash the party.

Your comment on Tweedsmuir..."you really have no clue about how winning teams and players operate." Classy.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Coach Mike

PostSubject: Re: Top 10 for next season 2012-2013   Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:52 pm

That's funny as I've seen a whole bunch of step-back jumpers, floaters, Euro-step, cradle jumpers etc., over the AAA's, March Madness and NBA in the past week. Did you feel the same when Kareem devoured competion with the sky-hook, or how about MJ's and Kobe's turn-around fadeway jumpers in the low block or our very own Stevie Nash perfecting the floater and hesitation jumper in his quest to become 2 time MVP....Do what works for you to become successful!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Woodenpaidhisplayers2

PostSubject: Re: Top 10 for next season 2012-2013   Fri Mar 23, 2012 3:25 am

Sim wrote:
At least we got a few days of joint harmony following the provincials. As expected, somebody had to crash the party.

Your comment on Tweedsmuir..."you really have no clue about how winning teams and players operate." Classy.

Maybe you should re-read the post SIM. Tweedsmuir in this ranking was neglected by the message board experts, like Fox was last November. We all know a team as good as they are has a shot to beat anyone in BC AAA.

This of course is only my opinion.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Woodenpaidhisplayers2

PostSubject: Re: Top 10 for next season 2012-2013   Fri Mar 23, 2012 3:31 am

Coach Mike wrote:
That's funny as I've seen a whole bunch of step-back jumpers, floaters, Euro-step, cradle jumpers etc., over the AAA's, March Madness and NBA in the past week. Did you feel the same when Kareem devoured competion with the sky-hook, or how about MJ's and Kobe's turn-around fadeway jumpers in the low block or our very own Stevie Nash perfecting the floater and hesitation jumper in his quest to become 2 time MVP....Do what works for you to become successful!

Mike, did you really see that many step back jumpers? Really? your going a bit too far on this one. If you can come up with a MARCH MADNESS step back jumper taken and made in a game where the score is closely contested then I will retract my statement.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
okanaganbball

PostSubject: Re: Top 10 for next season 2012-2013   Fri Mar 23, 2012 4:49 am

Coach Mike wrote:

Mike, did you really see that many step back jumpers? Really? your going a bit too far on this one. If you can come up with a MARCH MADNESS step back jumper taken and made in a game where the score is closely contested then I will retract my statement.

How about this one

Big East Championship game last year
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dick Vitale

PostSubject: Re: Top 10 for next season 2012-2013   Fri Mar 23, 2012 5:41 am

Coach Mike wrote:

Mr woodenpaidhisplayers , did you not watch the Syracuse vs Wisconsin game today? The silky smooth dion waters of the cuse with about 6 minutes left in the ball game as Wisconsin has just made 4 straight 3's in the muddle of there run as the game is slipping away from Syracuse he steps up and executes a Manroop Clair esque stepback off the screen and roll to drain the mud range J and hold off the badger run. Had that shot not gone in the orange lose this game by 2. Wouldn't really call a move that was the difference between the elite 8 and going home empty handed "useless".
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ronh_pm

PostSubject: Re: Top 10 for next season 2012-2013   Fri Mar 23, 2012 1:45 pm

okanaganbball wrote:
Coach Mike wrote:

How about this one

Big East Championship game last year

Insert Jeopardy theme music now.

Regarding the rankings..I don't think even Terry Fox himself would have picked the Ravens on Nov.22 to win it all.

The real thing is that rankings do not mean a thing, it's just a way for a group of people that enjoy the game get to guess at how teams compare to each other. It has no bearing on how they will compete against each other as on any given night any team can win. A fan or pundit missing a team in a pre-season poll is hardly noteworthy; it happens.

Regarding Tweedsmuir in particular, only saw them twice and loved how they could put up big numbers from the guard position. Not too sure how they will do against the top ten on any sort of consistent basis as to me the difference between say a number 5 team and a number 15 team is how they play defense, not offense.

Teams like Tweedsmuir, South Delta, Delta put up big numbers against each other, but against top ten, not so much.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.vancouversportsevents.com
Mark Scott

PostSubject: Re: Top 10 for next season 2012-2013   Fri Mar 23, 2012 5:10 pm

I was enjoying this conversation until it changed directions and came to a screeching halt..... I am going outside to work on my one-hand set shot.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Coach Mike

PostSubject: Re: Top 10 for next season 2012-2013   Fri Mar 23, 2012 8:24 pm

This is the last I'll comment on this subject, but a current NBA player, whose having a fabulous rookie campaign and goes by the name of Kemba Walker, lit up the competion to win the NCAA championship on a series of highlight moves of step-back jumpers, floaters etc as an All-American. In this day and age players practice regularly different series of avoidance moves. The game has evolved just like it has since Naismith constructed his 1st basket. No one told Disco Dirk at 7 ft to plant his body under the basket and work on Mikans. Someone taught and worked with him on 1 ft fadeways from the top of the key to assassinate his opponents. Do what you have to do to be successful!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Woodenpaidhisplayers2

PostSubject: Re: Top 10 for next season 2012-2013   Sat Mar 24, 2012 2:52 am

Coach Mike wrote:

Coach Mike, Kareem developed the skyhook after a few years in the NBA. Especially after his incredible athletic skills got worn down by the NBA grind and he had to find seperation from stronger bodies. The "sky" terminology referred to is the fact that he went from shooting it at 4-6 feet to 6-10 feet from the hoop. It was a standard hook shot until he became a NBA pro.

Dirk came in as a long range shooting forward with an incredible release point and deadly 3pt shot. But I will give you that I am glad was discovered by a real trainer in the name of Holger Geschwindner. It wasn't until Dirk started playing defense that his team and his own play improved enough to become an NBA allstar.

Our own Steve Nash was not shooting floaters consistently off the P & R until a regular starter in the NBA. He was a pull up jumper, fast break machine, x over guy who could stop on a dime and kill you from 3. If Dick Davey had seen Steve shooting floaty's at SC it would have been ugly.

Kemba Walker, picked #9 overall in the NBA draft is fortunate that someone also taught him how to pass. Thats why he has a 4:1.8 assist/turnover ratio this year in the nba. Growing up in the Bronx has given him streetmoves we haven't seen from a rookie since Allen Iverson, bless his selfish low percentage heart. KW and AI lived a long ways away from the Langley.E.C.

So my point is that if you pay some washed up guy to teach 10-17 year old kids to shoot hundreds if not 1000's of NBA floaters and guarded stepback 3's before getting them to release the ball quicker, position their body to beat guys in realistic highschool and college shots you are never going to get them to the next level.

Last few thoughts.

For the record, the Eurostep is not a frivolous move; its an excellent counter to a defender playing someones strong hand for a drawn charge, especially on the break. KOBE/MJ's turnaround fade J in the post was S.O.P. in the NBA.

A step back when used by an NBA millionaire might just win you an NBA title (right Craig Ehlo?) but I don't feel its neccessary to comment on that. If you want your 10 year old spending his hours shooting it good luck.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Top 10 for next season 2012-2013   Today at 5:00 pm

Back to top Go down

Top 10 for next season 2012-2013
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2