HoopLife Forums

The opportunity to talk about issues affecting Canadian basketball from coast-to-coast

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Basketball BC U16 and U17 try outs

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
theman7

PostSubject: Re: Basketball BC U16 and U17 try outs   Fri Apr 20, 2012 8:20 pm

Hate to admit, but Drive's U17 team would murder BC's U17 simply because Drive has a bunch of grade 12's playing like Cam Smythe, Andrew Mavety, Lucas Goodsen, Connor Morgan. Jadon will probably play up with the U17's as well. That's a scary team along with Manroop. I wonder how Basketball BC feels about Cam playing for Drive U17 when last year he was a stud for the Provincial team.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ronh_pm

PostSubject: Re: Basketball BC U16 and U17 try outs   Sat Apr 21, 2012 3:25 am

theman7 wrote:
Hate to admit, but Drive's U17 team would murder BC's U17 simply because Drive has a bunch of grade 12's playing like Cam Smythe, Andrew Mavety, Lucas Goodsen, Connor Morgan. Jadon will probably play up with the U17's as well. That's a scary team along with Manroop. I wonder how Basketball BC feels about Cam playing for Drive U17 when last year he was a stud for the Provincial team.

I suspect they are glad to see that Cam (and the other grade 12's) are involved in a program that will continue to help them grow their basketball skills and wish them well as they move on to post high school play.

Times are changing and programs like Basketball BC are becoming victims of their own success, Though once playing for your province at the Canadian championships would be the pinnacle of a high school players achievments it is not so much the case anymore.

For years the provincials programs across Canada have been feeding players to the AAU and prep clubs in the States and now our young players, seeing the success of those who play AAU and prep ball, are jumping at the opportunities afforded them by club basketball thinking and hoping playing on the AAU circuit is a notch up than playing for BBBC

I don't know the schedules but I suspect BBBC is playing in just as many of the high profile tourneys as the other BC clubs but right now, it is just not as "sexy" to play for them as there seems to be a perception they are "Canadian" and not AAU or "prep".

To be honest, I'm just happy the clubs are here to give many more kids the chance to play.

Am I way off base?

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.vancouversportsevents.com
sanderson1

PostSubject: Re: Basketball BC U16 and U17 try outs   Sat Apr 21, 2012 4:50 am

Both programs are looking great but I think if both teams had met in a AAU tourney out in Seattle or Portland, Drive would most likely take it. A lot of returning U17 players from the last season for Drive.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
basketballfan1

PostSubject: Re: Basketball BC U16 and U17 try outs   Sat Apr 21, 2012 11:59 am

Are you sure that Conor Morgan is playing on the U17 Drive team? I thought that players graduating can play as long as they have not committed to a post secondary school. Someone has mentioned that Conor is attending UBC in the fall.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
daunteculpepper

PostSubject: Re: Basketball BC U16 and U17 try outs   Sat Apr 21, 2012 10:48 pm

I think he can play in AAU tournaments if he's only committed to a CIS school.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
McKay

PostSubject: Team BC   Sun Apr 22, 2012 1:08 pm

Congratulations to the 18 athletes who were selected to represent BC this spring and summer on the U16 Provincial Team. Best of luck to Coach Archibald and the team and thanks to all of the players who tried out.

BC U16 Team 2012

Jalen Jana St. Thomas More
Denver Sparks-Guest Gleneagle
Brayden Bellevuille Carson Graham
Joe Davis Westsyde
Ashton Kendall Yale
TJ Turrene Elphinstone
Martin Bogajev Burnaby South
Jonathan Kongbo Kitsilano
Kasia Cauw BC Christian
Adam Karmali Handsworth
Jas Gill Yale
Nathan Haglund Elphinstone
Austin Penrose Sentinel
Hayden Lejuene Sardis
Grant Galbraith Gleneagle
Paul Baasdsvik Yale
Gurj Pooni RC Palmer
Tarik Scott Gleneagle
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BJH

PostSubject: Re: Basketball BC U16 and U17 try outs   Wed Jul 04, 2012 8:07 pm

When do the rosters of 12 get finalized for these teams?
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.hoopstarscanada.com
basketballfan1

PostSubject: Re: Basketball BC U16 and U17 try outs   Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:36 pm

The decisions will probably be made after the Las Vegas tourney giving the team about a week to practice before going to Nationals and the Western Canada Tourney.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Basketball BC U16 and U17 try outs   Today at 11:01 am

Back to top Go down

Basketball BC U16 and U17 try outs
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2