HoopLife Forums

The opportunity to talk about issues affecting Canadian basketball from coast-to-coast

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Drive Spring/Summer Rosters U16Elite/U17Elite

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
JesusShuttlesworth

PostSubject: Drive Spring/Summer Rosters U16Elite/U17Elite   Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:57 am

DRIVE U16 Elite Roster

Brenden Bailey
Elijah Campbell-Axson
Jadon Cohee
Alex Coote
Ryan Cowley
Tristan Etienne
Manvir Gahir
Corey Hauck
William Latu
Mindy Minhas
Nimrit Plaha
Nick Smith

DRIVE U17 Elite Roster

Jaryn Bailey
Manroop Clair
Lucas Goossen
Gurpinder Kang
Abu Khan
Gurkirat Kular
Andrew Mavety
Andrew McCaskill
Connor Morgan
Harbir Phool
Cameron Smythe
Luka Zaherijevic
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BigBallin95

PostSubject: Re: Drive Spring/Summer Rosters U16Elite/U17Elite   Fri Apr 13, 2012 1:52 pm

What about Deklan Chung?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FraserValleyFiend

PostSubject: Re: Drive Spring/Summer Rosters U16Elite/U17Elite   Fri Apr 13, 2012 3:32 pm

BigBallin95 wrote:
What about Deklan Chung?

Playin All Ball Academy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Naismith

PostSubject: Re: Drive Spring/Summer Rosters U16Elite/U17Elite   Sat Apr 14, 2012 11:42 am

Grade 12's can play U17?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mark Scott

PostSubject: Re: Drive Spring/Summer Rosters U16Elite/U17Elite   Sat Apr 14, 2012 1:24 pm

Naismith wrote:
Grade 12's can play U17?

They can play AAU if they are uncommitted to an NCAA team. Kids like Manroop (especially since he is only 17) want to get maximum exposure during NCAA Evaluation Periods, which is what AAU tournaments are geared to maximize. NCAA coaches cannot contact players during quiet periods, one of which starts August 1.

Here are July Evaluation periods.

(1) July 11 (5 p.m.) through July 15 (5 p.m.): Evaluation Period

(2) July 18 (5 p.m.) through July 22 (5 p.m.): Evaluation Period

(3) July 25 (5 p.m.) through July 29 (5 p.m.): Evaluation Period

Back to top Go down
View user profile
BigBallin95

PostSubject: Re: Drive Spring/Summer Rosters U16Elite/U17Elite   Sat Apr 14, 2012 4:40 pm

Can someone please explain too me how manroop is playin u-17? is he re-classing?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JesusShuttlesworth

PostSubject: Re: Drive Spring/Summer Rosters U16Elite/U17Elite   Sat Apr 14, 2012 5:35 pm

BigBallin95 wrote:
Can someone please explain too me how manroop is playin u-17? is he re-classing?

Correct, Manroop did reclassify to the class of 2013.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mark Scott

PostSubject: Re: Drive Spring/Summer Rosters U16Elite/U17Elite   Sat Apr 14, 2012 8:17 pm

JesusShuttlesworth wrote:
BigBallin95 wrote:

Correct, Manroop did reclassify to the class of 2013.

....and he is U17 because he was born in Oct, 94 and the AAU cutoff is Sept 1 compared with FIBA (Canada Basketball and BBC), which are based on the calendar yr.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mark Scott

PostSubject: Re: Drive Spring/Summer Rosters U16Elite/U17Elite   Sat Apr 14, 2012 9:20 pm

....and for NCAA sanctioned events, U17 doesn't always mean actually being under 17.... Here are the eligibility rules for the U17 division at the H-Town Classic the Houston tournament Drive is participating in starting Apr 26.

17U / Varsity Divisions: The boys’ 17U & girls’ Varsity divisions are actually “open divisions,” where unsigned seniors with remaining high school eligibility can play. However, players cannot turn 20 before 9/1/2012. Unsigned seniors can play as long as they have not committed in writing to play for a college at any level. Unsigned prep school players are also eligible to play in our tournaments. If a player has signed a letter of intent and you think they won't qualify because of grades, they still cannot play. The tournament management has the right to exclude any senior from playing. No player who has attended junior college or college may play in this event.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JesusShuttlesworth

PostSubject: Re: Drive Spring/Summer Rosters U16Elite/U17Elite   Wed Jun 13, 2012 3:24 pm

The following are the results for the DRIVE U16 Elite team from the 2012 Rose City Showcase X by NIKE! in Portland OR

Sweet 16s ELITE division

Quarter-Fianl Game
(4)DRIVE CANADA
(5)VANPORT DYNASTY (OR)

Semi-Final Game
(4)DRIVE CANADA
(1)RSB/A-PLUS (WA)

Championship Game
(2)707'S FINEST (CA)
(4)DRIVE CANADA

Proud of this great group of talented players, representing Canadian basketball and showing all the great US competition that we can compete and beat all comers. This is the BEST Tournament win DRIVE has ever had.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
basketballfan1

PostSubject: Re: Drive Spring/Summer Rosters U16Elite/U17Elite   Wed Jun 13, 2012 4:33 pm

When did they change their name to DRIVE Canada? Are they now branching out nationally and do the players currently on the team represent any other province than BC?

Wondering why they would give the impression that they are a national organization when they only operate in BC.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
JesusShuttlesworth

PostSubject: Re: Drive Spring/Summer Rosters U16Elite/U17Elite   Wed Jun 13, 2012 4:51 pm

basketballfan1 wrote:
When did they change their name to DRIVE Canada? Are they now branching out nationally and do the players currently on the team represent any other province than BC?

Wondering why they would give the impression that they are a national organization when they only operate in BC.

I believe this was done only to differentiate them from another DRIVE program from the US that was also at the Rose City Showcase.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mark Scott

PostSubject: Re: Drive Spring/Summer Rosters U16Elite/U17Elite   Wed Jun 13, 2012 5:05 pm

basketballfan1 wrote:

My guess is that the name was copied from the Rose City Showcase website results page, which mentions them as D.R.I.V.E. Canada. It was likely the organizer of the tournament who wrote it that way. I do not think that Drive is trying to give the impression they are a national organization - in fact teams that play AAU cannot recruit nationally. If you look at their website, it says Drive Basketball. And even if they did call themselves Drive Canada, so what? They are from Canada.

I think people need to cut Drive some slack.... In another topic here on Hooplife, they are even criticizing them for what other people wrote about them in the newspaper. If you have ever had an article written about you or about someone you know, you will realize that there is often a lot written that was never said..... writers make assumptions. I am sure Pasha Bains never said he was 6'5", but that is what they wrote.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
basketballfan1

PostSubject: Re: Drive Spring/Summer Rosters U16Elite/U17Elite   Wed Jun 13, 2012 5:35 pm

Thanks for the responses. I am not criticizing Drive. I was just curious. I think they should enter all tournaments using Drive BC but then again they may not get the same looks/attention if it is known they are from Canada.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JesusShuttlesworth

PostSubject: Re: Drive Spring/Summer Rosters U16Elite/U17Elite   Wed Jun 13, 2012 5:54 pm

basketballfan1 wrote:
Thanks for the responses. I am not criticizing Drive. I was just curious. I think they should enter all tournaments using Drive BC but then again they may not get the same looks/attention if it is known they are from Canada.

Results were taken directly from the Rose City Showcase website itself, so the organizers are the ones the called the team D.R.I.V.E. Canada not Drive itself. FYI.

This got off topic real quick, LOL.

Anyways again congratulations to all the Players and Coaches on the DRIVE U16 Elite team for a great win last weekened. It's an incredibly talented class they have for that year, hope them all continued success this summer and beyond.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Drive Spring/Summer Rosters U16Elite/U17Elite   Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:00 pm

It is a great achievement. I saw the team picture which included Luca. Wondering why he is playing down.
Back to top Go down
Mark Scott

PostSubject: Re: Drive Spring/Summer Rosters U16Elite/U17Elite   Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:14 pm

edward wrote:
It is a great achievement. I saw the team picture which included Luca. Wondering why he is playing down.

Luka was born Oct 95 so he is U16 according to AAU eligibility (though U17 by FIBA). If he were living in Washington State, he would be going in to grade 11 not grade 12 (as he is here). It is one of the disadvantages that Canadian teams have going to the US.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JesusShuttlesworth

PostSubject: Re: Drive Spring/Summer Rosters U16Elite/U17Elite   Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:28 pm

2013 DRIVE Spring/Summer Elite Club Teams

DRIVE U16 Elite Roster
Jermaine Haley, Burnaby South
Roshan Bhatti, North Delta
Derek Safnuk, St. Georges
Ethan Scott, St. Georges
Taylor Browne, Holy Cross
Cordell Parker, Gleneagle
Bryce Derton, Walnut Grove
Stephen Guan, Killarney
Jauquin Bennett-Boire, Yale
Gary Minhas, Churchill
Nic Trninic, Burnaby South
Charles Song, Point Grey

DRIVE U17 Elite Roster
Tristan Etienne, WJ Mouat
Jadon Cohee, Walnut Grove
Mindy Minhas, Churchill
Luka Zaherijevic, Kitsilano
Josh Mayorga, Walnut Grove
Alex Coote, West Point Grey
Brenden Bailey, Gleneagle
Alex Akpo, Notre Dame
Chase Ruttenberg, Sentinel
Gurkirat Kular, Enver Creek
Mason Loewen, Claremont

Last edited by JesusShuttlesworth on Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:05 pm; edited 4 times in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DickVitale2013

PostSubject: Re: Drive Spring/Summer Rosters U16Elite/U17Elite   Tue Apr 02, 2013 3:42 pm

Very interesting that several top players chose to remain with or join Drive. I'm not jurprised given their relationships with the Club and opportunity to play in the US and maximize their exposure to prospective NCAA programs. I assume other top players will do the same. As expected Basketball BC will not have these players for the Canada Games, because they're trying to compete with these AAU clubs instead of focusing on having the best team for the Nationals. Did they honestly think that going into their senior year that they were going to drop their local AAU teams and give up great opportunities to be recruited to NCAA schools. I just hope that something gets worked out in the future where top players can play their summers in the US, but still be able to play for Basketball BC at the Nationals. I would have loved to see this year's crop compete againgst Teams Ontario and Quebec. They would demonstrated that BC has some serious elite talent, not just Quebec and Ontario. Sad and a damn shame!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
pistol44

PostSubject: Re: Drive Spring/Summer Rosters U16Elite/U17Elite   Wed Apr 03, 2013 2:11 am

Gonna stir it up feel free to get all over me but it is interesting that a lot of players have jumped from Bc to the clubs (mainly talking u 16 level which is not surprising as there is no incentive of Nationals). The clubs should really thank BBC for developing some of these players, giving the club the opportunity to get them to play for them and get the club publicity as a great team and program. I would put this thought out there, if the Clubs are the be all of developing talent why are the kids that may have been with them for years beaten out by the kids that have been with BBC for years. Here's the point, these kids are great players because they work hard and the exposure will come no matter which path they choose. there are great coaches all over the place, clubs or BBC, and their high school coaches (that seem to get forgotten on this board a lot), so the program the kids choose is really irrelevant and the programs need to stop taking the credit. (especially if they get the kids because they let them play at a major discount. if I was a parent of the tenth man on this club knowing I was paying full freight so my kid can set screens for the kids getting a free ride I would lose it. hopefully they wont find out) When coaches and programs take credit for player success they probably are in the wrong vocation. It is about the kids' talent and work ethic period. lets keep the focus on them.
PS I fully agree that the clubs and BBC need to get their issues worked out. It will best for the kids to be able to play with a club they like and have the opportunity to represent BC at nationals. they shouldnt have to choose. Again the kids are getting lost in the issues of adults.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
hard2thehole

PostSubject: Re: Drive Spring/Summer Rosters U16Elite/U17Elite   Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:20 am

The u16's are going to have a logjam of epic proportions on the perimeter. I assume Browne/Scott/Haley are starters but after that there's a lot of talent and not enough minutes.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DickVitale2013

PostSubject: Re: Drive Spring/Summer Rosters U16Elite/U17Elite   Wed Apr 03, 2013 2:40 pm

I don't see any Clubs taking full credit for their player's development as they and we know their development is based on a myriad of factors including HS, BBC and Club coaching, basketball camps, individual work outs etc. I was highlighting a serious concern that BBC is not getting all the elite players for the Nationals, because of the player’s reluctance to depart from their Club teams. This is also happening in Ontario where pretty much all the top players are playing with their AAU Club teams.

I don’t agree with "…exposure will come no matter which path they choose…" Players play BBC or AAU ball to increase their exposure and opportunity to play CIS and/or NCAA ball. AAU basketball is everywhere and Canadians are succeeding at the highest levels in bunches. Many of our local players have observed the way that others have taken with the Club and/or Prep routes to reach great heights. There are the exceptions like 7 footers Sacre and Olynyk who would have been recruited if they had a hockey stick in their hand, but for others the route isn't as direct and AAU ball provides or enhances their opportunities for US recruitment. Look around and read that a majority if not all NCAA teams covet and recruit players from the AAU circuit even CIS coaches attend. There are articles where coaches stated that they attend AAU events to find the player(s) who are relatively unknown or plays in some obscure place and that it is a much more viable option for them to recruit with some many great players in one specific area or event.

The argument isn't about Clubs vs BBC it's about bureaucracy and rhetoric that gets in the way that prevents our best players from playing at the Nationals, which what the Nationals are suppose to represent. The Provincial Teams are either stubborn or failed to realize the significance of AAU ball to the current generation of players. The obvious reason why the top players remained with their clubs is familiarity, allegiance and opportunity. The kids are involved with a system, coaches and players they are accustomed to which they feel will make them successful and help them attain their personal goals.

BBC has to first acknowledge the importance of AAU basketball and the relationships and allegiance these players have with their Club teams since they were youngsters. Secondly, BBC has to change their ideologies and protocols and create a process and structure to acquire the top players in the Province for Nationals without having the player have to choose BBC over their Club team. The focus for BBC has to be the Nationals and not the AAU circuit. Leave this for the Club teams. A system can be developed where the top players can play the AAU circuit with their club teams, but make and train for the Nationals during the spring and summer.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JesusShuttlesworth

PostSubject: Re: Drive Spring/Summer Rosters U16Elite/U17Elite   Thu Apr 04, 2013 1:55 am

hard2thehole wrote:
The u16's are going to have a logjam of epic proportions on the perimeter. I assume Browne/Scott/Haley are starters but after that there's a lot of talent and not enough minutes.

U16's seem to have gotten just a little deeper, word is Jauquin Bennett-Boire is probable to join the squad as well. We'll see how all these top flight guards work together, 4 of them (Browne, Scott, Parker and Bennett-Boire) do have experience playing with one another as they all won Bronze for BC last summer with the BC U15's and add Haley the Jr. MVP and it will surely be an interesting summer for sure.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DickVitale2013

PostSubject: Re: Drive Spring/Summer Rosters U16Elite/U17Elite   Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:02 pm

Interesting if your accurate, another BBC player opting for the club ball circuit. Now Drive's challenge will be to equally develop all their players especially at the U16 level where they are very deep at guards. There are many PGs and SGs. Boire's participation makes him the most experienced player there at the lead guard position as he was the starting PG for the U15 Provincial Team and Yale Sr team. Others like Parker, Browne and Jomari Reyes played vital roles and key minutes on their Sr teams and have demonstrated the have significant upside. The U16s need some more impact forwards to go along with that strong guard crew. If they can then they are better off having 2 smaller teams playing in the elite group. This way all these kids can benefit by playing significant minutes. I can't see any other local teams challenging the U16s and U17s. These kids will all benefit going up against one another in practice and on the tough AAU circuit.

I think change is around the corner for BBC with what is taking place this year. There needs to be accountability from the BBC executive. The one club, All Ball, who had worked out an agreement with BBC has now fallen apart. There should still be enough talent there for BBC to compete, but it doesn't represent the best team, which is suppose to be what the Provincial Team represents. Something that every player should strive for to represent their Province at the Nationals, but I guess not these days with the growth of AAU and BBC not willing to compromise to the extent necessary. AAU teams offer so many options to kids to play and develop over the off season other than the select 12-18 players per age level that BBC chooses. Another reason why BBC should be an all-star team showcasing its best players exclusively at the Nationals.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JesusShuttlesworth

PostSubject: Re: Drive Spring/Summer Rosters U16Elite/U17Elite   Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:15 am

Got a chance to see a scrimmage between Drive U17s (and a few U16s) against a mix of WRCA/TWU players on the weekend. And the team looks really good as expected, strong at every position and you can tell that a lot of these kids have been playing together for years. What really stood out was the play of the few U16s who played with the U17s, the line-up with Bennett-Boire, Browne and Haley oozed talent on the floor, they seem to compliment each others strengths. Bennett-Boire using his ability to get to the hoop at will, Browne knocking down long and mid-range jumpers from all over the floor and Haley using his innate passing ability to find openings on the court, all stood out. Fun to see some of the top players in BC for the class of 2015 sharing the floor together and playing unselfish basketball. While the Drive U17s look especially good with talent all over the frontcourt and backcourt, the U16s will be the interesting team to watch if they can stay cohesive and play to their strengths, there lack of bigs should be neutralized by the sheer basketball IQ and talent that all their guards possess on the court. Hope all the teams a good spring/summer on the AAU circuit.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Drive Spring/Summer Rosters U16Elite/U17Elite   Today at 1:04 am

Back to top Go down

Drive Spring/Summer Rosters U16Elite/U17Elite
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next