HoopLife Forums

The opportunity to talk about issues affecting Canadian basketball from coast-to-coast

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Millionaire Refs

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage

PostSubject: Millionaire Refs   Sun Feb 14, 2010 7:03 am

Well folks I heard it again this past weekend; the Refs are taking bribes. Of course the Refs get paid, $35.00 a game but it seems that there are individuals preapred to bribe the officials to cheat, NOT! We all know that NB high school basketball genarates huge revenues for for the winners, NOT!

These accusations are the weakest, lamest, most rediculas excuse for loosing that there is. All of the games this past weekend were officiated by out of district refs and many of them had CIS experience. Not only that but there were NBIAA offciating supervisors in the stands. Come on people think about it; this is small town high school ball this it is not the NCAA or the NBA.

Next time you are tempted to blame the refs for your team loosing a game be it by 1 point or 20 points (most acusations come during the 20 point loss) think it over.

Great work this weekend team in stripes.
Back to top Go down
Coachmac

PostSubject: Re: Millionaire Refs   Sun Feb 14, 2010 10:21 am

Your wasting your breath. People see the game through their filters.

scorekeep wrote:
Well folks I heard it again this past weekend; the Refs are taking bribes. Of course the Refs get paid, $35.00 a game but it seems that there are individuals preapred to bribe the officials to cheat, NOT! We all know that NB high school basketball genarates huge revenues for for the winners, NOT!

These accusations are the weakest, lamest, most rediculas excuse for loosing that there is. All of the games this past weekend were officiated by out of district refs and many of them had CIS experience. Not only that but there were NBIAA offciating supervisors in the stands. Come on people think about it; this is small town high school ball this it is not the NCAA or the NBA.

Next time you are tempted to blame the refs for your team loosing a game be it by 1 point or 20 points (most acusations come during the 20 point loss) think it over.

Great work this weekend team in stripes.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.homesmoncton.com

PostSubject: Re: Millionaire Refs   Sun Feb 14, 2010 2:36 pm

The goal Coachmac is to help remove the filters preventing people from seeing reality.
Back to top Go down
Coachmac

PostSubject: Re: Millionaire Refs   Sun Feb 14, 2010 2:37 pm

scorekeep wrote:
The goal Coachmac is to help remove the filters preventing people from seeing reality.

I understand the goal....lol. I'm just wishing you luck with that.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.homesmoncton.com
Sincerely Yours

PostSubject: Re: Millionaire Refs   Sun Feb 14, 2010 2:43 pm

Are you still whining about REFS being happy? That's about as high on MY list as seeing NBIAA dictating some new laws for sports.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Millionaire Refs   Sun Feb 14, 2010 2:52 pm

Not worried about happy refs only surprised how many fans blame the loss on the refs. Even seen a fan try to assault a ref this weekend because the team he was supporting was not leading the game. Give me a break!
Back to top Go down
Boas 98-02

PostSubject: Re: Millionaire Refs   Sun Feb 14, 2010 3:14 pm

I cant say that all refs are bad that is certainly not the case, however, I know for a fact that certain refs don't like certain teams, they've told me personally.

As far as blaming losses on the refs, if you are a good team, you will win, regardless of the reffing!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Underdog

PostSubject: Re: Millionaire Refs   Sun Feb 14, 2010 5:08 pm

[quote="Boas 98-02"]I cant say that all refs are bad that is certainly not the case, however, I know for a fact that certain refs don't like certain teams, they've told me personally.

As far as blaming losses on the refs, if you are a good team, you will win, regardless of the reffing![/quote

As an official i think the best quality you can have is to leave opinions outside of the gym. Obviously we are human and have opinions like evryone else. However, the best officials do the game without any judgement towards personalities or style of play. They officiate the game in front of them. One of the better pieces of advice I have been given about officiating is that " success isn't based on the calls you make but the consistency of the calls you make".
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BlindAsABat

PostSubject: Re: Millionaire Refs   Sun Feb 14, 2010 7:14 pm

The best comment that I have heard from a ref, in response to a rather rude heckle from a "FAN" was, "I don't care who wins". That's what I want. A ref isn't refereeing a team from point A and another team from point B, they are reffing 2 colours.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Slam Dunk

PostSubject: Re: Millionaire Refs   Mon Feb 15, 2010 4:52 pm

I witness several games over the weekend, most of them I was indifferent as to what the results were and some I had more interest in, but in none did I witness anything which could be considered cheating. On many occassions have I thanked officials for their efforts and have told others how poorly they are compensated but believe most are not doing it for the money, but for the love of the game. A few comments I would have to question. " Out of District Officials"? Witnessed a #1 South vs #1 West final. Were the two officials not both from the west? Fans would not have to remove their filters if there was more transparency. Perhaps there should have been an official from each conference? Should a parent of a kid who's team had been eliminated from playoffs be reffing a game involving the team who had eliminated his kids team? Again, no accusations, but it could cause some concern for some over zealous fans. "Supervisors in the stands"! It is my understanding they would be more accurately be called "Evaluaters" Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe officials apply to officiate an Aiken Centre game and must be willing to do provincial games, if they are to get an AC assignment. Some of these officials abilities are not known that well, and they are evaluated during these provincial tournaments. Therefore some of the teams who have worked hard on their games all year to be the best, and have proved they are one of the best, yet may be officiated by officials who have not proven themselves, and are in the process of trying to prove themselves worthy under the added stress of an evaluater judging their performance. Perhaps this process should happen earlier maybe regional play?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Underdog

PostSubject: Re: Millionaire Refs   Mon Feb 15, 2010 6:23 pm

Here is the process for determining officiating assignments at provincials

-Regionals are covered in zone.
-All "A" officials apply to provincials. The executive assigns these games and for the most part officials are sent out of their own zone, sometimes this isn't possible. For example the Fredericton area has more "A" officials then the St Stephen area that would cover any provincials in this area. An example is the Provincial tourney this weekend at Leo Hayes.( 3 referees from St Stephen and one from Fredericton were assigned to the tourney)
- The final 8 is assigned by the executive. Each zone must receive one representative in the final 8. The other slots are filled by the executive.
-The executive is well aware of officials abilities to officiate. They are the ones that evaluate them when they apply for an "A" certification. Also officials are evaluated at regionals by their crew chief. These reports are forwarded to the Executive. I know in most areas officials are evaluated throughout the area especialy if they are inexperienced "A" officials.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Stripes

PostSubject: Re: Millionaire Refs   Mon Feb 15, 2010 6:46 pm

[quote- The final 8 is assigned by the executive. Each zone must receive one representative in the final 8.[/quote]

Not all zone have to be represented. Here is what the NBAABO constitution says regarding the Final 8:

a) Each zone is guaranteed at least one appointment to the Final 8 provided that the zone has submitted a minimum of 4 names for Provincial Sectionals. A zone, which does not submit 4 names, is not excluded from getting one or more Final 8 assignments. It is only excluded from being guaranteed an assignment.

b) An official must sit out one year after going to the Final 8 for two consecutive years
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Underdog

PostSubject: Re: Millionaire Refs   Mon Feb 15, 2010 7:00 pm

Yes this is right, usually the only zones who don't receive a guaranteed spot are the northern zones.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Millionaire Refs   Today at 8:54 pm

Back to top Go down

Millionaire Refs
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1