HoopLife Forums

The opportunity to talk about issues affecting Canadian basketball from coast-to-coast

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Off Season Noise

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
AuthorMessage
JesusShuttlesworth

PostSubject: Re: Off Season Noise   Tue Nov 26, 2013 7:14 pm

Aristotle wrote:
Interesting comments and examples Ebe and Mike. It further supports that this debate/discussion surrounds ethics and integrity. You've painted the perfect scenario for a business case proposal for the creation of investigative compliance body of BCSS.

What is the probability of creating stronger provisions like capping the number of transfers, number of times a player can transfer  and that before a player is ruled eligible for transfer in his/her graduation year that they must meet the BCSS compliance officer in person with their parents and head coach and swear under oath that all the regulations/provisions under transfer eligibility have been met including that the motive for the transfer was not exclusively for basketball? What school will be under the microscope next year and the year after that and so on?

I believe every basketball player loves the game and plays to win and possesses an individual and team goal of winning either the A, AA, AAA, and AAAA championship even before the season commences. This is their right as a student-athlete, something that they've earned and are entitled and we as ambassadors of the game and good will owe them this opportunity and must do everything to protect its integrity and the spirt of HS sports beyond participation.  
I support this idea, and I am all for a change in the system, as it is currently constructed, as Ebe stated there have been issues in the past. My earlier arguments were more centered around the issue of direct accusations of some sort of misdeeds without any formal knowledge of specific situations. Continuned dialogue toward a better process to go forward with these types of situations is what we all want, and I hope the conversation is driven by the need to change the way BC School Sports operates as it currently does and not the need to persecute specific kids/parents without knowing the individual circumstances involved. I am fine with the question as to if the process is broken, as we see from Ebe's post it is.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hoopstar

PostSubject: Re: Off Season Noise   Tue Nov 26, 2013 7:18 pm

I would be interested to hear from Ebe if he thinks the Holy Cross coaches have a responsibility to self regulate and do the right thing?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
mikegraham

PostSubject: Re: Off Season Noise   Wed Nov 27, 2013 12:49 pm

Best posts in the forum are from Aristotle on this issue and I read them many times and want to end my take on this issue with the quote from Aristotle ““Wit is educated insolence.”
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ebe

PostSubject: Re: Off Season Noise   Thu Nov 28, 2013 2:43 pm

Hoopstar wrote:
I would be interested to hear from Ebe if he thinks the Holy Cross coaches have a responsibility to self regulate and do the right thing?
I think all coaches have a responsibility to "do the right thing" the problem is how people define "doing the right thing" can be very different based on ones own perspective and philosophy. I have no knowledge or understanding of the situation at HC so it would be completely inappropriate of me to comment. I can share with you a personal experience that I had when I was at McNair back in the mid 90's. I had heard rumours that a very elite level grade 11 player from another district had moved to Richmond and may be coming to my school. Sure enough in September he was enrolled at McNair as he had moved to an address about a block away from our school. Obviously I was excited to add this player to my roster. About 2 weeks in to school I got a call from the coach at the school he left to say that he was pretty certain that the whole move was fake and that he was still living in the other district and he had probably given a fake address. When I looked in to it I found that the other coach was correct. I talked to this player and told him that he would not be allowed to play for me and if he stayed at McNair he would have to sit out the year and could then play in his grade 12 year. Obviously I have no authority to tell someone who had legally registered at my school that they can't stay but I can control who I take on my team. In the end this young man returned to his home school and ended up having a great career there.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
basedgod1984

PostSubject: Re: Off Season Noise   Sun Dec 01, 2013 2:03 am

If you're outraged and not happy with the current situation but still want these kids to play I would recommend sending a email to HC. The Principal (cblesch@holycross.bc.ca) would be the best idea, tell them to self govern if you chose so. If you feel nothing is wrong then carry on. And its not just HC Moaut has added a player from Enver Creek Jayme Bains- averaged just around 25 in junior 2 years. Its not just HC doing it currently but they seem to be the worst offender. Would hate to see the spirit of competition fade.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
baller1000

PostSubject: Re: Off Season Noise   Sun Dec 01, 2013 6:31 pm

ebe wrote:
Hoopstar wrote:
I think all coaches have a responsibility to "do the right thing" the problem is how people define "doing the right thing" can be very different based on ones own perspective and philosophy.
Hmm???

Here is a link to an interview with Vijay Dhillon who led RC Palmer to the AAA championship in 2011, wherein he explains his reasons for transferring from Burnett to RC Palmer. His comments leave no doubt that the reasons were for basketball: “even though we finished 6th in the provincials that year my decision to leave Burnett was mainly about my senior year (which is now coming up). I knew if I stayed at Burnett I would probably not even have a team by grade twelve because the guys in my grade were not committed.”
http://thegaber.wordpress.com/

So, I am wondering how Ebe, who has been very vocal on the subject of transfers (particularly when it comes to Independent schools) handled the coaches responsibilty to "do the right thing" with a player that was transferring primarily because of basketball?

I guess it depends on ones own perspective and philosophy.

Glass houses???
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ebe

PostSubject: Re: Off Season Noise   Sun Dec 01, 2013 6:50 pm

Baller 1000 your point is well taken but you fail to mention that the rules at that time were different for player transfers. At that time players were allowed to change schools prior to the start of their grade 10 year without penalty. If you want to come after me then you should at least have your facts straight.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Pooch

PostSubject: Re: Off Season Noise   Mon Dec 02, 2013 1:30 am

Baller1000, please don't forget that it's "different" when boys transfer to an independent school.
It's even more "different" when in the Lower Mainland Zone. Kitsilano leads the province in transfers on a regular basis but if even one kid transfers to an Independent, the allegations fly.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ebe

PostSubject: Re: Off Season Noise   Mon Dec 02, 2013 1:36 am

Post taken down due to a misunderstanding

Last edited by ebe on Mon Dec 02, 2013 12:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Pooch

PostSubject: Re: Off Season Noise   Mon Dec 02, 2013 11:18 am

Thanks Ebe, but I don't remember referring to you.
My comment was about the general reaction to transfers.
I guess with it following Baller1000's comments about you I can see why you thought so.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
lukester0506

PostSubject: Re: Off Season Noise   Wed Dec 11, 2013 4:17 am

Thoughts on Drew's transfer down to Eastside Catholic down south?

http://www.vancourier.com/sports/basketball-vancouver-s-urquhart-ineligible-to-play-for-seattle-s-eastside-catholic-1.723723
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.lukester0506.com
coachb

PostSubject: Transfers the future or not?   Mon Dec 23, 2013 1:34 pm

Interesting some of the comments and discussions around transfers and that rules have changed over the years. Some would argue that the rules are not strict enough some say they are too lenient. The current reality is that it seems in order to be a top team there are going to be some transfers in your program.
Not too many Cinderella stories out there anymore and that to me is a loss in high school sports.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Off Season Noise   Today at 3:49 am

Back to top Go down

Off Season Noise
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 5 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5