HoopLife Forums

The opportunity to talk about issues affecting Canadian basketball from coast-to-coast

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Off Season Noise

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
JesusShuttlesworth

PostSubject: Re: Off Season Noise   Thu Jun 27, 2013 3:04 pm

bulldog10 wrote:
Heard that Jermaine Haley is leaving Bby South and going to another Lower Mainland school, anyone care to update?
TheNewGuy wrote:
haley going to saints apparently and drew might stay if this happens

I believe Urquahart has already filed to play down south and is waiting to see how his eligibility ruling goes for playing down in the states, if he's allowed to play next season then he's going to Eastside Catholic, but if he is ruled ineligible and will have to sit out a season he will stay at Saints. And anything to do with Haley is pure speculation at this point, unless someone has something concrete that they know.

JLivingston wrote:
Jonathan Kongbo is transferring to Holy Cross. HC will be sick next season.

If true and Kongbo can play for HC next season, that is a huge addition, he adds even more beef down low to an already big, strong, athletic squad. Could be "Dunk City" as they could conceivably run 5 players in the 6'2 Browne, 6'5 Maduabueke twins, 6'7 Dodozza, and 6'6 Kongbo who can all throw it down.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bulldog10

PostSubject: Re: Off Season Noise   Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:30 pm

TheNewGuy wrote:
haley going to saints apparently and drew might stay if this happens

So if Haley goes to Saints, doesn't he have to sit out a year? My guess is that his family will be moving to a new residence within the school boundary....(wink wink!)! My initial guess was that he was switching to Kits but I'm wrong....guess Disbrow will be a happy coach again next year.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Off Season Noise   Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:15 am

Rumour has it Jermaine's going to Henderson Prep in Nevada.
Back to top Go down
JesusShuttlesworth

PostSubject: Re: Off Season Noise   Thu Jul 04, 2013 3:20 pm

Just saw some great news, Tristan Etienne (WJ Mouat/2014) has verbally committed to the University of Washington Huskies. A great player, and an even better kid Tristan committed this morning when UW Head Coach Lorenzo Romar made the offer to the 6'10 Etienne.

Congrats to Tristan on a great choice with a great program , the Huskies will be getting a defensive force who is a relentless rebounder with a very fluid offensive game.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Pooch

PostSubject: great news   Thu Jul 04, 2013 5:09 pm

That is wonderful to hear.
Tristan, as you say is a great kid and outstanding student.
He will be the top player in the province in my mind for this coming year and it is nice to see all his hard work paying off.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
basedgod1984

PostSubject: Re: Off Season Noise   Sat Jul 27, 2013 1:57 am

Any news on Haley playing prep? Or where Kongbo is going, heard HC and Tammy are the options. Also hearing the HC twins were declared ineligible from a Holy Cross friend, and Browne going prep. Any truth to these rumors?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JLivingston

PostSubject: Re: Off Season Noise   Sat Jul 27, 2013 7:58 pm

basedgod1984 wrote:
Any news on Haley playing prep? Or where Kongbo is going, heard HC and
Tammy are the options. Also hearing the HC twins were declared ineligible from a Holy Cross friend, and Browne going prep. Any truth to these rumors?
Both Haley and brown are returning to their schools. If kongbo choose to go to any school other than kits (current school), HC (private) and Grove ( his catchment school), he will have tough time to get eligibility. Don't know anything about ineligibility of twins. May be others who has inside track can shed some info.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
dropstep

PostSubject: Re: Off Season Noise   Mon Jul 29, 2013 1:08 pm

kongbo will not have any problems becoming eligible because he has moved to surrey and can play for his home school according to his address.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Pooch

PostSubject: urquhart   Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:12 am

Apparently Urquhart is definitely gone to Eastside Catholic.
Not sure how he got eligible as his family has not moved, but he's apparently gone.
Sad for basketball in B.C. He could have had a great senior year and D1 offers would have been on the table for sure.  It certainly seems that kids like Tristan, Jadon, Mindy, etc. are getting lots of interest and had no need to move.  Glad they didn't.
It would be interesting if anyone knows how eligibility was achieved and if it would work for other kids here. A precedent I personally hope doesn't start any kind of trend. The players who have moved to prep schools don't need eligibility as those schools don't belong to state associations and eligibility is not an issue, but his move is to a school that plays within a state high school association that does have rules.
I do support a family's right to help their kid get to the best situation possible, but also feel that the opportunities exist right here.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hoopstar

PostSubject: Urquart   Thu Aug 01, 2013 2:05 pm

Totally agree with Pooch. Elite level players (in any sport) get noticed regardless of where they play. There are so many examples of this.
The only other argument for moving is to play against a higher level of competition which will improve his game. I think the competition in BC has improved to the point that this should not be a concern for kids. The AAU competition that AllBall plays against is excellent.
Drew has left three programs (Kelowna, St George's and AllBall) that provided excellent coaching, were competitive teams and played the highest level competition possible.
I worry about a kid who makes decisions to leave three programs because the grass may be a little greener somewhere else.
I am trying not to judge Drew because I don't know him or his specific reasons for leaving these programs. I am using Drew's situation to comment that I think the people who have influence with these kids need to stress that leadership, loyalty and overall character should be a factor in any decision.
I also wonder how much these character traits factor into a D1 offer.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JesusShuttlesworth

PostSubject: Re: Off Season Noise   Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:20 pm

Pooch wrote:
..It would be interesting if anyone knows how eligibility was achieved and if it would work for other kids here..

I'm guessing Urquhart must've worked out an exchange-student type situation for foreign players in the US, I believe foreign players can be made eligible to play under this circumstance as many foreign born players from outside the US currently play in non-prep high schools. Not sure but would love to hear if anyone has any other idea of how else he could be eligible
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Pooch

PostSubject: re exchange student   Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:54 pm

He does not seem to qualify as an exchange student.
That is why I am interested in what route he did take.
Their rule regarding exchange students is clear that it cannot be for athletic reasons.  Since he had been to two team camps with them covering last year and this(and had spent weekends with players there) prior to deciding to go there, it seems unlikely he could pass muster on that.
He had applied to go there for his Grade 11 year but turned it down when he found out he would have had to play JV for one year as exchange students can only play varsity for one year. Had he gone then, he would have been eligible this year under their rule.
I don't begrudge a choice made for athletic reasons as I feel this is an excellent reason to make a choice but their rule is pretty clear and he doesn't seem to fit.
The story goes that he is living in a fabulous home and getting spending money, etc.
His family is still in Vancouver and from what I hear no one will comment on how he got eligible. Seems shaky and I sure hope he doesn't find himself shut out of playing.

From the WIAA site:
3. In no case will eligibility be extended beyond the four (4) consecutive years. WIAA 18.13.3. states: “There can be no evidence that either the student transferred for the purpose of participating in interscholastic athletics or transferred as a result of having been recruited for the purpose of participating in interscholastic athletics.”
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JesusShuttlesworth

PostSubject: Mindy Minhas to UBC   Fri Aug 02, 2013 4:29 pm

Great to see the news that Mindy Minhas from Sir Winston Churchill, 2014 grad class, has already committed to the UBC Thunderbirds to continue his basketball and academic development upon graduation next year. UBC will be getting a dedicated workhorse, a true scorer, who should flourish in the Bird's up-tempo system and help the Thunderbirds for years to come to roll through the CIS. With an early commitment, we should look out for a another great year from Mindy where his sole focus can now be bringing the Bulldogs back to the LEC in March. Coach Hansen got another great pick-up of a local kid who we can watch close to home.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Pooch

PostSubject: congrats   Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:09 pm

excellent news! Mindy is a great kid and should have an outstanding CIS career.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JesusShuttlesworth

PostSubject: Jadon Cohee to Seattle U   Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:54 pm

Wow.. Another early commit. Jadon Cohee of Walnut Grove, Class of 2014, has committed to attend Seattle U next year, joining fellow BC boys and former DRIVE teammates Emerson Murray and Manroop Clair. Jadon is a proven winner on the court, great leader on the floor with an arsenal of offensive moves. Exciting that we get the chance to catch 3 local BC boys playing together in D1 just south of the border.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
basedgod1984

PostSubject: Re: Off Season Noise   Fri Aug 09, 2013 7:12 pm

Hearing twitter chatter Jauquinn Bennett Boire is not going away now? Saw his Drive Coach tweet that and he posted a Yale tweet. Any mews pertaining to this?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
hoopking1

PostSubject: Re: Off Season Noise   Sat Aug 10, 2013 2:43 pm

basedgod1984 wrote:
Hearing twitter chatter Jauquinn Bennett Boire is not going away now? Saw his Drive Coach tweet that and he posted a Yale tweet. Any mews pertaining to this?
Yes, he is staying. He did send out a tweet
Back to top Go down
View user profile
coachb

PostSubject: Re: Off Season Noise   Sat Aug 10, 2013 6:52 pm

I do support a family's right to help their kid get to the best situation possible, but also feel that the opportunities exist right here.[/quote]
So if I follow the thread properly it was OK for Drew to leave Kelowna but not St George's now that he is leaving Canada? Now we question his character because he does not stick around?
Best wishes to him and a wish for his success without throwing around the rhetoric would be the most consistent position to take if allowing player movement anywhere and anytime is truly what one advocates.
Truth is he is a talented player and should do well where ever he plays.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Pooch

PostSubject: Re: Off Season Noise   Sun Aug 11, 2013 2:41 am

Some question his character in leaving three programs but I do support his right to move. I just wonder under what rule he is eligible.  Others have tried to go to Seattle schools and been rejected.
I do personally hope it does not become a trend for BC Boys to be leaving to go to schools in the US as I am a fan of high school basketball here and the success others have achieved show it is not necessary.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hoopstar

PostSubject: Loyalty   Sun Aug 11, 2013 4:59 am

Why does everyone say they support kids who want to move? What about loyalty to the schools, coaches and team mates who put in countless hours getting these kids to where they are?

I think it is a sign of the times that most people think it is OK to tell kids that they should think about themselves first and foremost.

My son is the starting point guard at a quad A school. I would be extremely disappointed if he told me he wanted to go to another school/program. As the person he looks to for advice, I try to instil some old fashion values that are infinitely more important than transferring to another school that may (or may not) be a better situation for him personally.

Am I alone in thinking this way? Is playing for the best school or program important enough to sacrifice important values?

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Pooch

PostSubject: Re: Off Season Noise   Sun Aug 11, 2013 11:13 am

Hoopstar, I agree with you.
All of your points are valid and values I support.
I merely support the "right to move". I too question the values that often lead to those moves.
I support a person's right to choose what is best for their son or daughter and do not like to see anyone forced to accept less by rules that restrict movement.  Some programs are much less able to meet the needs of a kid who really loves the game and I don't want anyone forced to stay there.  Most coaches and programs offer a lot and kids stay and that is a good thing.  I don't begrudge a move when a situation turns out to not be what was hoped for in some cases, but just moving to have a better chance at winning while leaving committed teammates, coaches, etc. behind is sad.
I believe, like you, that loyalty, taking on challenges, committment to teammates and a program are important and hate to see kids hopping to the next greener pasture on any regular basis. I too question the values that are being taught in cases like that.   Happily most kids and parents are loyal.  
In this case the scope of potential areas to which to move seems to have broadened and I am hopeful the rules in Washington State are not so lax as to see more and more kids seeing that as yet another option.  I want our best to at least stay in BC.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
coachinainteasy

PostSubject: Walnut Grove???   Sun Sep 15, 2013 8:09 pm

What do you make of this article?

http://northpolehoops.com/2013/09/15/adonis-montfort-palomino-alberta-product-earning-stripes-in-ontario/

AI Prep school or Walnut Grove?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mark Scott

PostSubject: Canadian Prep w post grad   Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:18 pm

coachinainteasy wrote:
What do you make of this article?

http://northpolehoops.com/2013/09/15/adonis-montfort-palomino-alberta-product-earning-stripes-in-ontario/

AI Prep school or Walnut Grove?
That was a very interesting article. Sure, the Walnut Grove angle was a surprise, but even more surprising to me is that Adonis Palomino is playing for the AIA post grad team, yet was going in to grade 12 in Alberta. That's the team Mason Loewen is on.... who, of course, has graduated.

Given that Ontario is still clinging to the idea that there is grade 13 and claiming their players have an extra grad year (which is not true, at least not for NCAA eligibility), why wouldn't a grade 12 student at least play on the high school team? The AIA has a high school team and a post grad team.

I am glad to see more options for players but it is confusing to see an academy with a post grad team that accepts grade 12 students, while also fielding a high school team.

It will be interesting to watch this initiative unfold since AIA now competes for players from across the country. They are already attracting some of the top high school and post grad players. Will this new business model show up in BC?

Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Off Season Noise   Mon Sep 16, 2013 12:11 pm

Hoopstar wrote:
Why does everyone say they support kids who want to move? What about loyalty to the schools, coaches and team mates who put in countless hours getting these kids to where they are?

I think it is a sign of the times that most people think it is OK to tell kids that they should think about themselves first and foremost.

My son is the starting point guard at a quad A school. I would be extremely disappointed if he told me he wanted to go to another school/program. As the person he looks to for advice, I try to instil some old fashion values that are infinitely more important than transferring to another school that may (or may not) be a better situation for him personally.

Am I alone in thinking this way? Is playing for the best school or program important enough to sacrifice important values?

What about to the players that put in hours at a school where no one else cares for basketball or they have a coach that isn't competent enough to maximize their skills? Should that player not be allowed to put themselves in a better situation to succeed and be in a better "team environment"? Don't get me wrong, I can see how many players transfer schools just to play with their club teammates/friends but I also think you should be able to make the decision to change schools if it suits you better.

What I disagree with is those that bypass the rules to avoid having to sit out.

Let's face it..how many coaches that want to win are telling their kids it's NOT okay to work around rules?
Back to top Go down
Pooch

PostSubject: Re: Off Season Noise   Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:27 am

I would bet that almost no coaches tell them it's not okay if the transfer is coming their way. They see it as a compliment to their style and effort while those losing players are more likely to feel something less than kosher has happened. I, for one, think it is rare for coaches to actually actively try to get players to move. Accepting them is a different issue. Players today, more than ever, know, play and chat with guys in other programs and also ask for advice from adults like their club coaches if they are dissatisfied.
Many coaches, but certainly not all would support a player's right to move without punishment if they truly feel the program they are in is not what they need. We all know that some programs are struggling to provide good coaching throughout their program today and no one can claim all coaches are equally suited to all players' needs.
I'm not sure why a player should have to sit if the move is in their best interests. That is a huge punishment for someone who loves the game.
If a coach is found to be actively pursuing players then punishment should be severe, but for parents and players to make choices in the best interests of their son seems like a positive to me.
I may be wrong, but players who leave a program that has does a good job are rare and those that leave a program like that just to have a better chance to win a title are rarely much of a factor in their new team's success.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Off Season Noise   Today at 3:19 pm

Back to top Go down

Off Season Noise
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next