HoopLife Forums

The opportunity to talk about issues affecting Canadian basketball from coast-to-coast

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Off Season Noise

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage

PostSubject: Re: Off Season Noise   Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:39 am

Pooch wrote:
I'm not sure why a player should have to sit if the move is in their best interests.  That is a huge punishment for someone who loves the game.  
Prevents it from being a free-for-all. How many kids would transfer if they didn't have to sit? I'd say quite a few.

At the same time, the regulation in place may prevent a kid from transferring to avoid having to sit out a year.
Back to top Go down
Hoopstar

PostSubject: Transferring   Tue Sep 17, 2013 1:50 pm

If players were allowed to transfer with no penalty, we would end up with 6-8 super programs with the majority of schools having no chance to compete for a championship. Not something I would enjoy watching. Professional sports leagues go to great lengths to create parity for good reason. This coming year in AAAA is a great example of why the current system works (for the most part). There are probably 15 teams who could win it all this year. Makes for a very exciting season.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JesusShuttlesworth

PostSubject: Drew Urquhart committed to University of Vermont   Thu Nov 07, 2013 6:48 pm

@Durquhart11 7 Nov

Excited to announce that I am officially committing to the University of Vermont!!

Great to hear that Drew Urquhart has officially committed to the University of Vermont Catamounts, a Mid-Major Div. 1 team in the America East Conference. Hope Drew continues to improve in all aspects of his game in his final year of high school.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Pooch

PostSubject: Urquhart    Thu Nov 07, 2013 7:58 pm

I heard a few days ago that Drew is not eligible in Seattle and will sit his senior season.
Too bad.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JesusShuttlesworth

PostSubject: Re: Off Season Noise   Thu Nov 14, 2013 5:09 pm

@DenverOnDemandd 13 Nov

Officially committed to Simon Fraser University. Just signed my National letter of intent. #blessed

Looks like Denver Sparks-Guest of Gleneagle has committed to SFU (NCAA-Div.2) The Clan are getting a versatile forward who has a silky smooth game, great footwork in the low post, good jump-shot, and deceptively quick, great get for the Burnaby Mountain squad, and good to see another great local player staying close to home.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CourtSwag

PostSubject: Re: Off Season Noise   Sat Nov 16, 2013 7:35 pm

Hey fairly nee to this blog but had to ask Word on the street is Joaquin from Yale is going to holy cross. Any confirmation?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
lukester0506

PostSubject: Re: Off Season Noise   Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:17 pm

Yes, I can confirm that Jauquin is attending holy cross this year.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.lukester0506.com

PostSubject: Re: Off Season Noise   Tue Nov 19, 2013 1:51 am

Wow it seems as HC will be a legit contender,,,, but i thought u had to sit out if u transfer??? they have recruited kongbo from kits and now jaquin are they both eligible?
Back to top Go down
ebe

PostSubject: Re: Off Season Noise   Tue Nov 19, 2013 3:10 am

lukester0506 wrote:
Yes, I can confirm that Jauquin is attending holy cross this year.
He may be attending Holy Cross, I have no idea, but he is not presently listed on their roster.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JesusShuttlesworth

PostSubject: Re: Off Season Noise   Tue Nov 19, 2013 1:57 pm

This is all unconfirmed as of this moment but I believe Quin may be registered to attend Holy Cross but not on the roster as he has not moved back to BC as of yet, I am not positive but think he is still in Saskatchewan. I believe his family moved to Surrey, so it is a legitimate move if he returns. He should be eligible at Holy Cross(be it this year if eligible, or next year if he has to sit out) from whats outlined below, but that will ultimately be up to BC School Sports.

Jonathan Kongbo is registered on the Holy Cross Sr boys roster, and he is eligible to play this year, as he was eligible to play on the Varsity Football team this year by BC School Sports so I doubt it will be any different with the basketball team.

D12.3.3 Change Of Principal Residence: the student-athlete and his or her
parent(s) or legal guardian(s) [See Definitions] have changed their
principal residence in the previous twelve (12) months. The change
of residence must not be for the purpose of making the studentathlete
eligible for restricted competition at a member school. The
student-athlete does not become eligible under this category until
the member school submits to BCSS a statutory declaration by
the parent or legal guardian in a form acceptable to the Executive
Director which attests to the details and reason for the change of
residence.
(b) Move into a Different Public School District: if the parents' or legal
guardians' new principal residence is in a different public school
district, the student-athlete will be eligible at any public school in
the new district in accordance with school district policy concerning
student-athlete placements, or will be eligible at any non-public
school whose main school building is located within the geographical
boundaries of the new public school district
(An Online Transfer Form must
be completed online with the registration of the student-athlete on the online Student-Athlete
Registration Form. In addition, a Statutory Declaration Form must be forwarded to the BCSS
office within seven (7) school days of the online registration)

Last edited by JesusShuttlesworth on Tue Nov 19, 2013 2:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ebe

PostSubject: Re: Off Season Noise   Tue Nov 19, 2013 2:22 pm

JesusShuttlesworth wrote:
This is all unconfirmed as of this moment but I believe Quin may be registered to attend Holy Cross but not on the roster as he has not moved back to BC as of yet, I am not positive but think he is still in Saskatchewan. I believe he would've went back to Yale, but heard he was ineligible as his family no longer has an Abbotsford residence as his family moved to Surrey
Jesus this is not entirely accurate. The school where a player first registers at the start of grade 8 is the players home school. If that player moves they still retain their eligibility to play at their first school. So Joaquin would be eligible at Yale regardless of where he moved. For example Kongbo would still be eligible to play at Kits if he wanted to, but when a player does legally change residence they then become eligible to play at the next closest school to where they moved or according to the admissions rules for the school district they moved in to. Private schools are a bit more complicated because policy surrounding catchment areas are not always as defined as they are in the public school system.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JesusShuttlesworth

PostSubject: Re: Off Season Noise   Tue Nov 19, 2013 2:28 pm

Thanks for the clarification "ebe" this was just the noise heard in the summer didn't know if it was accurate, I've edited my post to reflect that.

BTW when does the list of Baden Games being broadcast come out?
I loved the streams last year, got a feel for so many different teams at all different levels, the concept is great, hope it keeps going for years to come and hopefully grow to expand to as many games as possible.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ebe

PostSubject: Re: Off Season Noise   Tue Nov 19, 2013 2:31 pm

Will be releasing the Baden Game of the Week schedule at the end of the week or on Monday.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
hard2thehole

PostSubject: Re: Off Season Noise   Wed Nov 20, 2013 4:52 am

Any news on whether Kits picked up anybody new? I heard he had a bunch of junior transfers sit out last season
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Coach Yash

PostSubject: Re: Off Season Noise   Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:43 am

hard2thehole wrote:
Any news on whether Kits picked up anybody new?  I heard he had a bunch of junior transfers sit out last season
Kits' roster per the BCHSBBA site:
5 James Hynes G 6'1" 178 -
6 Tumisang Moanakwena - 5'10" 150 -
7 Cole Bayne F 6'5 170 -
9 Oskar Fernlund F 6'2 175 -
10 Kenya Gerald G 6'3" 180 -
11 Nic Tancon F 6'7" 215 -
14 Justin Derickson F 6'1" 170 -
15 Howard Wang G 6'6" 177 -
21 Charles Song G 6'1 180 -
22 Alec Francis F 6'4" 180 -
23 Anthony Hokanson F 6'5" 195 -

Kenya Gerald and Howard Wang are in grade 10. Not too sure about anyone else
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.bchoopscoop.ca
hard2thehole

PostSubject: Re: Off Season Noise   Thu Nov 21, 2013 2:46 am

So history repeats itself and they poach Point Grey's best player again
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JesusShuttlesworth

PostSubject: Re: Off Season Noise   Thu Nov 21, 2013 2:25 pm

Barry Hayes ‏@hoopstarscanada

6'9" c Grant Galbraith (Coquitlam, BC/Gleneagle) has committed to coach Barnaby Craddock & the University of Alberta Golden Bears. #CIS

Good catch for Craddock, skilled Big men are hard to come by in the CIS and Galbraith has size and skill in the post, at 6'9" and growing Grant is a fundamentally sound Center prospeect from the high-powered Gelneagle Talons, who now have 2 of their starters committed to Post-Secondary, great job by the boys and Coach Scott.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BallerBC94

PostSubject: Re: Off Season Noise   Fri Nov 22, 2013 12:38 am

I have been reading this site for years and am finally joining because history is repeating itself and it looks like everyone is just sitting back and letting it happen. Why are players continuously allowed to transfer and play without following the rules? The rules are in place to protect the integrity of the programs and players. How does a player play at a different school every year when his parents have always remained at the same address? Parents in Surrey, player at Mouat. How does one private school, who for years pillaged many of the top players to win, leave the FV public school system, only to allow another private school in who starts the same bs all over? Seriously, is it just me, or this a mockery of BC School Sports? Regardless of what the FV did for White Rock, Holy Cross should have been placed in the Independent league with VC and St. Georges. 2 wrongs do not a right make. Now Holy Cross has 5-7 brand new very strong players from all over and they are allowed to play against public schools who don't have unlimited boundaries? Let's all be honest here, this is wrong. Someone with the clout please stand up and stop this before the season gets underway. Every coach in BC should protest this. There doesn't need to be all-star teams playing Findlay Prep, Holy Cross Prep should just play them both nights. This isn't sour grapes on my part, I don't coach, I don't play, I just love watching ball, BUT, I will not support a super team in this fashion. I can watch "bought" teams in the NBA.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Off Season Noise   Fri Nov 22, 2013 1:39 am

I completely agree with BallerBC94, it is ridiculous.
Back to top Go down
JesusShuttlesworth

PostSubject: Re: Off Season Noise   Fri Nov 22, 2013 1:51 am

Again more baseless accusations from faceless posters, who hide behind the anonymity this board gives them as a way to persecute. I personally find your post disrespectful, comparing a high school team to a "bought NBA team" that statement right there is utterly reprehensible and a slap in the face to the kids and their hard-working parents who work hard to pay for their kids tuition(all students at Holy Cross pay tuition, and any assertion otherwise is false) and some of the kids themselves who work part-time jobs besides going to school and playing basketball. For someone to throw out there that somehow these kids were "bought" and brought from all over, what evidence of this do you have? It's quite literally Slander, I know for a fact as I have stated this before all the kids on HC basketball team are NOT in anyway trying to skirt the rules, all of them have went through the proper channels in able to be eligible for play, and as is stated in the BC School Sports by-laws live within the geographic region of the school. I am for fair competition, but I am vehemently against slandering a school and kids with absolutely no I evidence as to any wrongdoing. Haters gonna hate, but again what specific rules have been broken? Name one.. you can't because all the moves have been legitimate.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Pooch

PostSubject: Re: Off Season Noise   Fri Nov 22, 2013 2:08 am

Didn't these boys all move?
If so, not sure what it has to do with them being a private school.
If you have some evidence that they were "poached" or "bought", bring it forward. I'm totally against that, too.
I agree that it looks like an unbeatable team has been assembled but my bet is that the school had nothing to do with MAKING it happen. If they did, present some evidence.
It seems to me that Kitsilano have more transfers yearly than any private school yet that doesn't seem to bother anyone. I'm sure they all move too.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Aristotle

PostSubject: Re: Off Season Noise   Fri Nov 22, 2013 5:07 am

This discussion goes beyond the stipulated rules/regulations of BC School Sports. It is questions of integrity, accountability and ethics. What are the check and balances being undertaken by BCSS to ensure there are no contraventions? What measures does BCSS have in place beyond written declarations to ensure adherence to the rules and regulations? It would appear that truth/honesty is what they rely on when making a determination. Now is it an error in judgement to believe that we all function at the highest moral and legal standard? Or are we naive to believe that over the years there has been no eligibility violations or unmoral conduct and misleading disclosures to BCSS?

I can definitely support some of the commenters on this topic as over the years there has been several programs whose ethics were questioned regardless if their actions were intentional or unintentional. Many historic programs success have been defined by transfers, moves and yes violations of the eligibility rules.

And Jesus this engrossing and debatable topic can not be simplified strictly on whether or not there is an adherence or contravention of the rules. Ethics undoubtedly  has to be factored into the argument. Empirically, when we as people, citizens, organizations are aware of the rules we can find loopholes or ways to circumvent the spirits/intent of the rules and still not be in direct violation.

Unfortunately Jesus your impartiality is not absolute as cognitive bias will slip into our thoughts and comments given your relationship to your nephew and thus Holy Cross and thus to be fully engaged in critical thinking. This cognitive bias will also slip into others comments associated to private schools or programs or historically accused of eligibility infractions.  As you mentioned some comments were slanderous to the program and the players at HC, but you and HC supporters have to expect that after the recent transfers in the past 2 years of 3 very good players including today's announcement by Jaquin Bennet-Boire and the enrollment of 3 strong international players that it's going to arouse questions, concern, commentary and possibly criticism, because it is obvious to many now that HC with all the recent transfers and enrollment are a very, very strong team and may now be positioned as the frontrunners for the Crown.

As a great fan of the game and ethically speaking I believe it to be very demoralizing and bad for the HS basketball landscape if there is the creation/construction of these super teams. A similar comparison but obviously not to the same degree is Findlay Prep and there dominance at the US high school level.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hoopstar

PostSubject: Student Transfers   Fri Nov 22, 2013 5:09 am

Jesus, I am sure the families moved and I would not accuse any school of paying tuition or offering incentives to entice players to transfer (without facts), HOWEVER, you can't believe that all of these families moved to the new schools for non basketball reasons. Just a bit of a coincidence that some of the best players in BC move to areas that happen to have a bunch of other great payers.
If I am reading the rule correctly, the move can not be for the purpose of making the athlete eligible for restricted competition at the new school. It has to be obvious to everyone that this is exactly what is happening.
I believe in a level playing field and I think the intent of the rule is what matters most and is obviously not being enforced.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JLivingston

PostSubject: Re: Off Season Noise   Fri Nov 22, 2013 11:27 am

I feel obligated to comment on HC situation. I didn't know until reading the previous posts that Jaquin Bennet-Boire is also joining HC squad. If kongho and Jaquin is not switching school for Basketball, what else it could be for?  It is a stretch to argue that they are going for religion or some other program. Yes, they might be living and meeting all the stipulations and no question about that as whoever doing it knows the necessity to meet the conditions. But it doesn't end with that. They already have 3 overseas players through church-exchange program. Borderline recruitment.  In total, 3 transfers from local schools - Yale, Kits and pacific academy and 3 from overseas. 6 players in total. It is true that some are here past years and played other sport. Those are all set up either intentionally or incidentally to make them eligible. Wait. In no way, I can think that HC coaches have any role in this transactions. Somebody- either a player or a parent of a player who is close friends with all of them have a tacit role in this. I know people will jump and demand proof and we all know they wont be naïve to leave a audit trail.  

Last edited by JLivingston on Fri Nov 22, 2013 11:56 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Pooch

PostSubject: Re: Off Season Noise   Fri Nov 22, 2013 11:54 am

I only have a moment, but after reading that last post I need to comment.
Where do you get off making an accusation like that??? Holy cow!
Jesus has been nothing but first class and it is situations like this where people can anonymously accuse people of things that I hate boards like this.
The moderator needs to delete that comment immediately
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Off Season Noise   Today at 10:00 pm

Back to top Go down

Off Season Noise
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 3 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next