HoopLife Forums

The opportunity to talk about issues affecting Canadian basketball from coast-to-coast

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

DRIVE and NCAA Div. 1

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
lbj23

PostSubject: DRIVE and NCAA Div. 1   Sun May 13, 2012 12:42 am

Hate to bring up Drive again, but in the article in the Vancouver Sun today about Pasha and Manroop the reporter said that DRIVE has sent a dozen players to play Division 1 ball in the NCAA. Can someone please help list these players for me? Besides Manroop and Emerson, I don't know who else there is. Thanks.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
truth

PostSubject: Re: DRIVE and NCAA Div. 1   Sun May 13, 2012 5:47 pm

lbj23 wrote:
Hate to bring up Drive again, but in the article in the Vancouver Sun today about Pasha and Manroop the reporter said that DRIVE has sent a dozen players to play Division 1 ball in the NCAA. Can someone please help list these players for me? Besides Manroop and Emerson, I don't know who else there is. Thanks.

Simple answer:BS.

Just more Drive self promotion capitalizing on media reporters too lazy to check facts. Mr. Pains own accomplishments at NCAA level and his departure from there, under a cloud, are also glossed over. Hopefully Manroop will do better.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TightD

PostSubject: Re: DRIVE and NCAA Div. 1   Mon May 21, 2012 11:55 am

Well in one article Pasha Bains fell just short of playing in the NBA....good grief.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CharlesII

PostSubject: Re: DRIVE and NCAA Div. 1   Sun Jun 10, 2012 4:22 am

It might very well be twelve athletes who have played in the NCAA under Pasha's guidance. Are you guys forgetting that Drive also has a women's program? Elle Kerfoot? Harleen Sidhu? To name a few because I don't know too much in the women's side of things. ALSO, for example if Kelly Olynyk had done a camp at Drive, technically, Drive can say that they sent him to the NCAA because he has been under Pasha's tutelage. Trust me, twelve seems about right. However, majority of them are women though I would have to say.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
zoons

PostSubject: Taking all the credit?   Sun Jun 10, 2012 2:20 pm

I think the worst part of this whole thing is the sad fact that the club is taking the credit for getting these kids a scholarship. That is ridiculous to say that 1 or 2 spring/summers made it for these kids. They have been working extremely hard waaaay before they even got to the clubs. How about their high schools? High school coaches that spend a lot more time working with the players on both basketball skills/academics/life skills. Kids shouldn't be deceived that simply attending a club for a short period of time will make or break you. The articles are very misleading. There is far more that goes into scholarships than a club. There are dedicated parents, high school programs, teachers and the time and effort by the individual player...usually at their high school gym or hoop at home, to get to the level required for a scholarship. Sorry to burst the club basketball scenes bubble...but you can't do it by yourself and self promotion on the backs of a collective effort is misleading, arrogant and irresponsible. Shame on you!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sim

PostSubject: Re: DRIVE and NCAA Div. 1   Sun Jun 10, 2012 10:40 pm

We finally get some of our kids on the front page of the local papers..and people still are not happy. Imagine if we spent our energy trying to improve the game instead of criticizing those that do.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
zoons

PostSubject: Re: DRIVE and NCAA Div. 1   Mon Jun 11, 2012 1:40 am

Sorry don't buy it....kids get in the newspaper all the time.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sim

PostSubject: Re: DRIVE and NCAA Div. 1   Mon Jun 11, 2012 2:11 am

I must be out of the loop. I've missed all the front pages you see "all the time"

I've got many family members and friends who have their kids in multiple basketball academies. They all love the experience and coaching their kids are receiving. Ur personal agenda has unfortunately formed ur view.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
zoons

PostSubject: Re: DRIVE and NCAA Div. 1   Mon Jun 11, 2012 12:23 pm

Never once did I state that clubs are not doing the kids a service. I know they are helping to further their development. (as long as you can afford it) But the problem is that in the articles in the newspaper it comes across as being ALL about the club. That is simply not true. Like I stated before there is FAR more that goes into a player receiving a scholarship.
Ohh and by the way...the province has articles on high school basketball consistently as well as most local papers.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: DRIVE and NCAA Div. 1   Today at 1:55 am

Back to top Go down

DRIVE and NCAA Div. 1
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1