HoopLife Forums

The opportunity to talk about issues affecting Canadian basketball from coast-to-coast

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Who does a better job hosting the Final 12? Fredericton or SJ?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
GM Breaker '84-'88

PostSubject: Who does a better job hosting the Final 12? Fredericton or SJ?   Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:07 pm

A) Fredericton
B) Saint John
C) About the same

After next year, would you like to see the Final 12:

A) Back in Fredericton
B) Stay in Saint John
C) Give Moncton a shot
D) Rotate it between Fredericton & Saint John
E) Rotate between Fredericton, Saint John & Moncton
F) Doesn't matter

Your thoughts?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
lebronrocks

PostSubject: Re: Who does a better job hosting the Final 12? Fredericton or SJ?   Tue Jun 12, 2012 2:06 pm

Okay , I'll bite....feeling bored today anyway... :-)
Having been fortunate enough to experience both , all I can say is both were excellent , and very positive experiences for all involved. Saint John gets a slight edge for facility ( big screen at harbour station) and proximity of motel to harbour station ( players could walk back and forth to venue , events and motel )...neither of these are important factors to the games , but made a difference.
I would love to see the game move around NB...Perhaps Moncton , or god forbid Miramichi or Bathurst. I think if it ever gets back to Fredericton and the Currie Center , it would be awesome. Great court , with a smaller seating capacity that would certainly be packed and way noisier and more intense than the larger more cavernous facilities used now. 3500 fans in HS or the AC , still makes place seem empty.
Just sayin !!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
C-N '06-'09

PostSubject: Re: Who does a better job hosting the Final 12? Fredericton or SJ?   Tue Jun 12, 2012 5:56 pm

I haven't been to a Final 8/12 in Harbour Station either, but I agree that it should be moved around more as well as more often. Maybe change venues every two years and not let the previous host put in a bid for the next 2 years to insure it moved around some.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CoachDJR

PostSubject: Re: Who does a better job hosting the Final 12? Fredericton or SJ?   Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:00 pm

I don't know that there is a good answer here.

At this point I think I prefer Harbour Station (at the time of the switch I didn't think it was a good idea). Facilities, Committee, etc all seem to be a little more professional and controlled then then Atiken. Much less crowd issues then their were in the last few years at Aitken+ having the bigboard and nicer seating makes it a more pleasant fan experience. Also the lack a difference/space between floor and bowl seating makes it feel a little closer.

I'm all for giving chances and opportunties, but I don't think it should be moved around for the sake of moving it around. If you can get a site (Fredericton, SJ, Bathurst, etc) that can offer services and a product that enhances the basketball experience and community then that is where is should be. If someone comes up with something better have it there instead. Don't move it just to say it moved though.

The only issue that I think you would want to make sure of is that the location wasn't providing a distinct advantage or disadvantage to a region. I'm not sure the SJ sample size is large enough yet (10 titles handed out at that location) but 50 % have gone to Southern Zone schools. I'm not saying there is a conspiracy theory or any advantage in it being at SJ for southern schools, as I stated the sample size is much to small and over a very short period of time. I think it would be interesting over time to go back over the data from Aitken (maybe even before Aitken when schools hosted provincials) and eventually make sure that the numbers come out in the wash to say that the location isn't generally a factor. SO far at SJ 5 southern conference winners, 3 western conference, 1 north, 1 east. Two years previously at AC 8 titles handed out 4 west, 2 east, 1 north, 1 south. 50% coming from regional host but again really small sample sizes I'm sure its nothing to worry about? ;!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sincerely Yours

PostSubject: Re: Who does a better job hosting the Final 12? Fredericton or SJ?   Thu Jun 14, 2012 11:33 am

Yes there were crowd issues at Aitken the last few years. Never was it addressed. Cities that can accomodate a bid should certainly persue it further. I could see hosting as a distinct advantage. Good comments coach.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Who does a better job hosting the Final 12? Fredericton or SJ?   Today at 3:17 am

Back to top Go down

Who does a better job hosting the Final 12? Fredericton or SJ?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1