HoopLife Forums

The opportunity to talk about issues affecting Canadian basketball from coast-to-coast

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

AAU vs. High School Basketball

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
JesusShuttlesworth

PostSubject: AAU vs. High School Basketball   Sun Jun 24, 2012 2:51 am

OTL: AAU vs. High School Basketball
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fSQfyRGxr8I

Great video done by ESPN's Outdside the Lines program, on how kids are being pushed and pulled in different directions regarding AAU vs High School Basketball. A very interesting and on going debate. A good watch, the video is from '09 but the topic is still really relevant today.

There is a growing phenomenon in the world of high school basketball and it is AAU.
They are taking over basketball, there are people on one side who think AAU basketball is too powerful and there is a tug of war between high school coaches and AAU coaches on the players.
What do you think?
In my opinion it gives the players an opportunity to continue to play, its very important with recruiting where they can be seen by alot of college coaches. It gives players exposure and the opportunity to travel and play top level talent from all of North America.
For me anyway I'm all for AAU basketball I think its a good thing.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
truth

PostSubject: Re: AAU vs. High School Basketball   Sun Jun 24, 2012 1:52 pm

JesusShuttlesworth wrote:
OTL: AAU vs. High School Basketball
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fSQfyRGxr8I

Great video done by ESPN's Outdside the Lines program, on how kids are being pushed and pulled in different directions regarding AAU vs High School Basketball. A very interesting and on going debate. A good watch, the video is from '09 but the topic is still really relevant today.

There is a growing phenomenon in the world of high school basketball and it is AAU.
They are taking over basketball, there are people on one side who think AAU basketball is too powerful and there is a tug of war between high school coaches and AAU coaches on the players.
What do you think?
In my opinion it gives the players an opportunity to continue to play, its very important with recruiting where they can be seen by alot of college coaches. It gives players exposure and the opportunity to travel and play top level talent from all of North America.
For me anyway I'm all for AAU basketball I think its a good thing.

I think that kids need to have a broader perspective beyond just basketball. AAU is American, we are not. If NCAA basketball is your main motivation then maybe AAU is the way to go. However, since very very few players will rise to the level of NCAA Div 1, then perhaps school and not basketball should be the focus. We have seen kids go NCAA, only to not play and come back. We have seen kids get to CIS, play and then get booted from the school because they didn't maintain their grades. If you can get to play basketball and get your tuition paid for, whether here in Canada or in the states, you are very lucky and can he happy and proud of that achievement. You don't need to play AAU to achieve that goal. You can play high school ball here, get a top notch Canadian University education and live in the best country in the world. The focus that we all put on "going Div 1" and AAU etc ignores those facts. Staying and playing here is not failure.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JesusShuttlesworth

PostSubject: Truth about prep schools finally revealed?   Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:07 am

CBC - The Fifth Estate-"Fast Break" - Orig. Broadcast Date: Friday, March 2, 2012
http://www.cbc.ca/fifth/2011-2012/fastbreak/

The thing is that if your a very talented player, you don't need to go to prep school to get exposure, you should rather do the hard way to earn that scholarship while in Canada.

But we really have to be careful not to paint every prep with the same brush. The reasons why these negative things happen is due to the desire of the young people to realize their dream while at the same time realizing that their dream may not be fulfilled here in Canada. Parents have to be aware and not let their children's dream cloud their own reality. Scholarships should be free, if not, that means two things...your kids isn't good enough or it's a scam. If you have to pay... don't go. If it smells too good to be true it probably is.

Kids want to be seen and want to play against the best, so they're lured to the States. Some preps are legit, some aren't. You have to do your homework. Not every kid in basketball is a prep player. Some are though. Parents have to do their homework. Coaches have to do the same.
Do your homework, be ready. Be involved.

Most of the players who have gone down to preps will have a better chance at scholarship than if they stayed here. That's just the truth. I'll repeat, 'chance'. Obviously, these kids can't skate into D-1. Hence the 5th Estate report. Not all of the kids in preps 'skate'.

Parents should focus on education for yourselves and your children.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: AAU vs. High School Basketball   Today at 3:17 am

Back to top Go down

AAU vs. High School Basketball
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1