HoopLife Forums

The opportunity to talk about issues affecting Canadian basketball from coast-to-coast

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

2012 - 2013 Top 10

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
MagicMan

PostSubject: 2012 - 2013 Top 10   Fri Aug 24, 2012 1:40 pm

With the summer coming to an end, what team has made strides and who are the TOP 10 teams?

My thoughts;

1. St. George's - surprise team with 6'8" Urquhart leading the way
2. Kitsilano
3. Walnut Grove
4. White Rock Christian
5. Yale
6. Oak Bay
7. Burnaby South
8. Gleneagle
9. Mouat
10 Winston Churchill

Back to top Go down
View user profile
bulldog10

PostSubject: Re: 2012 - 2013 Top 10   Fri Aug 24, 2012 3:18 pm

Someone mentioned in a post "VC vs Saints" that Drew was leaving Saints and heading to a Seattle private school next yr.. If true, definitely change the look of the Saints team. Can anyone confirm? Disbrow will not be happy if Drew leaves, actually, any coach will would be disappointed to lose a player like Drew.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BB fanatic

PostSubject: Re: 2012 - 2013 Top 10   Fri Aug 24, 2012 10:20 pm

MagicMan wrote:
With the summer coming to an end, what team has made strides and who are the TOP 10 teams?

My thoughts;

1. St. George's - surprise team with 6'8" Urquhart leading the way
2. Kitsilano
3. Walnut Grove
4. White Rock Christian
5. Yale
6. Oak Bay
7. Burnaby South
8. Gleneagle
9. Mouat
10 Winston Churchill

MEI is going to be a much improved team this year. They have two brothers coming from Colorado USA, to attend their school this year. Both are very good basketball players I hear. Both Yale and MEI were the two choices these boys were looking at. MEI ended up being the choice because of religion I’m hearing. Also Jordan Schmidt… will be playing basketball this coming year, (very good player). One of the boys is a 6’7” post player; the other is a 6’3” guard. I believe ones a grade 11, and one is a grade 12. Abbotsford will have three very competitive teams this year. Maybe not championship caliber but very competitive!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
overthehill

PostSubject: MEI improved...   Sun Aug 26, 2012 12:05 pm

MEI will be better this year with the Colorado brothers or brother depending on whether or not the grade 10 younger brother plays up. The older of the two is in grade 11 and is 6'2 not 6'7. The younger one is around 5'9. It appears Yale lost the recruiting battle on this one. Maybe they should offer a couple bible classes.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Pooch

PostSubject: quite a move   Mon Aug 27, 2012 10:49 am

The Province had St. Georges at 10. Any explanation as to why you would move them so strongly up the ladder?
They graduated 10 players I believe.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: 2012 - 2013 Top 10   Mon Aug 27, 2012 6:44 pm

MEI is going to be a much improved team this year. They have two brothers coming from Colorado USA, to attend their school this year. Both are very good basketball players I hear. Both Yale and MEI were the two choices these boys were looking at. MEI ended up being the choice because of religion I’m hearing. Also Jordan Schmidt… will be playing basketball this coming year, (very good player). One of the boys is a 6’7” post player; the other is a 6’3” guard. I believe ones a grade 11, and one is a grade 12. Abbotsford will have three very competitive teams this year. Maybe not championship caliber but very competitive![/quote]

i'm not sure how good the the two kids from the states are but my team played against impact hoops at BBC club championships and they didn't look strong to me, i would put that team in the top 16 for fraser valleys..... im not sure if they were missing any players but i know jordan schmidt played and there were 10-12 players on that team..... also played black cats (abby collegiate) and they seemed like a pretty solid team even without devin brar who played BBC U17 this summer
Back to top Go down
Mark Scott

PostSubject: Number 1?   Mon Aug 27, 2012 8:05 pm

I think Saints may be a top 10 team, but they are not number 1. WG, Kits, White Rock, all deserve to be ahead of Saints, and probably others do too. Saints has one starter back from last yr, Deklan Chung, plus Tylon Barker who played significant minutes, then they have the starters from the #3 junior team, including Drew Urquhart. A strong collection of players, who seem to fit together well from a positional perspective, but definitely not number one. Coach Disbrow has a big job ahead of him to get the younger players ready for senior and to increase their competitiveness as the year progresses.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MagicMan

PostSubject: Re: 2012 - 2013 Top 10   Mon Aug 27, 2012 8:37 pm

I have been watching some of the summer circuit and I think that kids from St. George has improved. A quick point guard with a good big man is a great start towards a Provincial championship.

It will be interesting to see how they do under Coach Disbrow. I have not heard much from Walnut Grove and WRCA other than they will be playing against Findlay Prep (Las Vegas) in early December. Coach Disbrow back with the Saints, and Scott Allen as Associate Head Coach at WRCA should make for some great coaching battles this year.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: 2012 - 2013 Top 10   Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:44 pm

i have heard that kongbo from kitsilano has transferred to tweedsmuir is that true? n if it is i think tweeds has a really good shot at BCs
Back to top Go down
fullcourtpress90

PostSubject: Re: 2012 - 2013 Top 10   Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:42 pm

I saw Walnut Grove during the Spring and Summer Leagues and they looked very good winning both. I heard they played the U15 Provincial Team and won convincingly. Did not see White Rock at all in either of the Leagues. Some of their players were with Provincial and club teams. The Valley's will again be competitive. Grove and WR will be tough no doubt. Be interesting to see how team's fair out of the gate to get a gauge on things. Looking forward to it and what a way to start of the year with US national powerhouse Findlay Prep in our backyard. What a great event for the kids and basketball BC community!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FVBasketballFan

PostSubject: Saints   Fri Sep 07, 2012 1:15 pm

Mark Scott wrote:

I think Saints may be a top 10 team, but they are not number 1. WG, Kits, White Rock, all deserve to be ahead of Saints, and probably others do too. Saints has one starter back from last yr, Deklan Chung, plus Tylon Barker who played significant minutes, then they have the starters from the #3 junior team, including Drew Urquhart. A strong collection of players, who seem to fit together well from a positional perspective, but definitely not number one. Coach Disbrow has a big job ahead of him to get the younger players ready for senior and to increase their competitiveness as the year progresses.

Does St. Georges also not have Patrick (Can't remember his last name), who sat out last year after transferring from a school in Poco? Don't know much about him but he's big, strong and athletic. He would certainly make that team more dangerous.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TightD

PostSubject: Re: 2012 - 2013 Top 10   Fri Sep 07, 2012 2:24 pm

bball81 wrote:
MEI is going to be a much improved team this year. They have two brothers coming from Colorado USA, to attend their school this year. Both are very good basketball players I hear. Both Yale and MEI were the two choices these boys were looking at. MEI ended up being the choice because of religion I’m hearing. Also Jordan Schmidt… will be playing basketball this coming year, (very good player). One of the boys is a 6’7” post player; the other is a 6’3” guard. I believe ones a grade 11, and one is a grade 12. Abbotsford will have three very competitive teams this year. Maybe not championship caliber but very competitive!

i'm not sure how good the the two kids from the states are but my team played against impact hoops at BBC club championships and they didn't look strong to me, i would put that team in the top 16 for fraser valleys..... im not sure if they were missing any players but i know jordan schmidt played and there were 10-12 players on that team..... also played black cats (abby collegiate) and they seemed like a pretty solid team even without devin brar who played BBC U17 this summer [/quote]

So coach Friesen and the principal Pankratz still have room in their basements for some new recruits?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mark Scott

PostSubject: Re: 2012 - 2013 Top 10   Sun Sep 09, 2012 11:09 pm

FVBasketballFan wrote:
Mark Scott wrote:

Does St. Georges also not have Patrick (Can't remember his last name), who sat out last year after transferring from a school in Poco? Don't know much about him but he's big, strong and athletic. He would certainly make that team more dangerous.

I don't know him. He might not be at Saints.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bulldog10

PostSubject: .   Mon Sep 10, 2012 4:16 pm

FVBasketballFan wrote:
Mark Scott wrote:

Supposedly, Patrick never transferred to StG at Christmas break from Arch Carney. There was an objection by Arch Carney and it was ruled that he would have to sit his gr12 yr if he transferred. I believe he still at Arch Carney and trains and plays w/ All Ball.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 2012 - 2013 Top 10   Today at 5:12 am

Back to top Go down

2012 - 2013 Top 10
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1