HoopLife Forums

The opportunity to talk about issues affecting Canadian basketball from coast-to-coast

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Odds - Just hypothetical

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage

PostSubject: Odds - Just hypothetical   Fri Sep 21, 2012 12:55 pm

If "Vegas" were to open the books, this will be the likely odds for the upcoming season.

1. Walnut grove 35/100
2. Whiterock -Even money
3. Kitsilano 4
4. Pitt Meadows 5
5. Kelowna owls 5
6. Terry Fox 6
7. Gleneagles 7
8. Mouat 7
9 Churchill10
9. St George 10
9 .Oak bay 10

Throw in your chips (I mean your counter). Few weeks gone since the schools started. Time to spice it up.
Back to top Go down
MagicMan

PostSubject: Re: Odds - Just hypothetical   Fri Sep 21, 2012 6:47 pm

A few comments;

WG will be good, but Jadon Cohee is over-rated. He is a good player but the hype coming out of DRIVE has him as the next B.C. version of Steve Nash. He ain't that good. Outside of Paul Getz, who else does WG have that warrants a #1 seed?

White Rock will have the best starting 5 in the province. They have some good role players coming off the bench and good coaching with Scott Allen returning to the sidelines to coach. Most of their current Gr. 12 players played lots of minutes last year, but in secondary roles, so will they be good enough to take on the leading roles

Pitt Meadows ????????????? Not going to happen and I doubt this team will even make it as a Top 10 ranked squad. Not sure if they have the leading players required to make a run at Provincials.

Kelowna ?????????????? (see Pitt Meadow comment). If they could not win with Mitch and Braxton, not going to happen this year. So much focus was on stopping these 2 last year that it created lots of space for the other players. Great players make those around them better, and with Mitch gone, we will see how good this team really is.......or was it all about Mitch.

Terry Fox - one year ago, nobody was talking about this team. Guess a lot of people were proven wrong. Again, at this time of year, nobody is talking about this team. Can history repeat itself again? ..............NO. Losing the best athlete in the province (Ryan Sclater) will be difficult to overcome. Casey was a tank in Provincials last year so will be fun to watch how he responds being more of a focus this year.

Yale - I like this team. 5 Provincial team players of varous age groups (u17, u16, u15). Will they gel together?? they do have some good bench strength as well.

Mouat - lets hope Tristan can play a full season injury free. If he is even just as good as he was last year when he was able to play, this team will compete for a championship with solid grade 12s and an outside threat in Corey H.

St. George's - I like this team. Two good Gr. 12's plus some up and coming youngsters. May be a little too much to say they will win this year, but they will only get better and will set the stage for a run in 2014. That means a loss on Final Four Friday (prediction).

Kitsilano - Hope Luka is practicing his free throws because he will be double and triple teamed as soon as he gets the ball. Will create some space for outside attack.

One of these 5 teams (W-G , White Rock, Kitsilano, Yale, Mouat) will be BC champs for 2012/2013. Sleepers (Oak Bay, St. George's, Gleneagle, Winston Churchill)

Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Odds - Just hypothetical   Sat Sep 22, 2012 1:38 pm

It is easy to write off Pitt and fox by looking at their roster but you have to see them to beleive. I have watched them atleast 20 times since April playing at various leagues. Dont judge the team by their star player but by their role players, bench and coaches. I tried to rank by what they have done so far and not by what they could do.
Back to top Go down
okanaganbball

PostSubject: Re: Odds - Just hypothetical   Sat Sep 22, 2012 4:23 pm

MagicMan wrote:
A few comments;

WG will be good, but Jadon Cohee is over-rated. He is a good player but the hype coming out of DRIVE has him as the next B.C. version of Steve Nash. He ain't that good. Outside of Paul Getz, who else does WG have that warrants a #1 seed?

White Rock will have the best starting 5 in the province. They have some good role players coming off the bench and good coaching with Scott Allen returning to the sidelines to coach. Most of their current Gr. 12 players played lots of minutes last year, but in secondary roles, so will they be good enough to take on the leading roles

Pitt Meadows ????????????? Not going to happen and I doubt this team will even make it as a Top 10 ranked squad. Not sure if they have the leading players required to make a run at Provincials.

Kelowna ?????????????? (see Pitt Meadow comment). If they could not win with Mitch and Braxton, not going to happen this year. So much focus was on stopping these 2 last year that it created lots of space for the other players. Great players make those around them better, and with Mitch gone, we will see how good this team really is.......or was it all about Mitch.

Terry Fox - one year ago, nobody was talking about this team. Guess a lot of people were proven wrong. Again, at this time of year, nobody is talking about this team. Can history repeat itself again? ..............NO. Losing the best athlete in the province (Ryan Sclater) will be difficult to overcome. Casey was a tank in Provincials last year so will be fun to watch how he responds being more of a focus this year.

Yale - I like this team. 5 Provincial team players of varous age groups (u17, u16, u15). Will they gel together?? they do have some good bench strength as well.

Mouat - lets hope Tristan can play a full season injury free. If he is even just as good as he was last year when he was able to play, this team will compete for a championship with solid grade 12s and an outside threat in Corey H.

St. George's - I like this team. Two good Gr. 12's plus some up and coming youngsters. May be a little too much to say they will win this year, but they will only get better and will set the stage for a run in 2014. That means a loss on Final Four Friday (prediction).

Kitsilano - Hope Luka is practicing his free throws because he will be double and triple teamed as soon as he gets the ball. Will create some space for outside attack.

One of these 5 teams (W-G , White Rock, Kitsilano, Yale, Mouat) will be BC champs for 2012/2013. Sleepers (Oak Bay, St. George's, Gleneagle, Winston Churchill)

I know what my username says, but I've been out of the loop for awhile. Anyone know who Kelowna does have this year besides Buzz? Their junior team last year, without Buzz, was laughable. Do they have any studs from their feeder schools that will be playing senior this season? A friend of mine coached against Dr. Knox last year and claimed they had a player who could it all and was the best 8th grader he had ever seen. It's not out of the question for a 9th grader to player senior, obviously.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
fullcourtpress90

PostSubject: Re: Odds - Just hypothetical   Sun Sep 23, 2012 3:14 pm

Magician - interesting comments, but mostly can't quite agree with you on WG. For a bunch of no names they performed very well last year. If my memory serves me correctly they fell short on a last second shot. They have many returning players from last years squad coached by multiple times Coach of the Year George Bergen. The Province's Howard pegged them as pre-season #1 and Cohee as the next great BC NCAA prospect. Never seen anyone refer to him as the next Nash. I've seen this kid play enough times and WG to tell you he's a once in generation player and their a very talented and deep team. We play them multiple times a year so thanks for giving them a little extra motivation.

The Frasers will be tough and if the young players mature and develop nicely senior laden teams like WR, Kits and WG will be tested all year.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MagicMan

PostSubject: Re: Odds - Just hypothetical   Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:44 am

FCP 90 -

If you read my post, I never said Jadon was a bad player, he is indeed very good. But even you wrote that he is a "once in a generation player" , he is the "next great BC NCAA prospect" and WG is a talented and very deep team. I predict JC will have a choice of CIS schools or low tier div 1 NCAA school at the completion of his Grade 12 year. He is not a top NCAA basketball school recruiting target. This is the same course that many great BC players have taken over the last couple of years.

Last year at Provincials, WG played 6 players (3 grade 12s and 3 11s/10s) My point is that they are going to miss the defensive intensity that DeSean brought to the team. He was a defensive game changer as he was the quickest player on the court and altered what the opposing point guard wanted to do. Ask the UFV coach at the time the reason why he was recruited. Ethan McKean was their go to outside threat and a solid player. Charles Luu was a dependable , solid player. Losing these 3 talented seniors (De Sean - CIS // I think the other 2 are at Douglas) will hurt. Outside of Brad Hoffman (and Paul Getz), they don't have any other grade 12 players that can fill in these roles that I am aware of. I know they had a good junior team, so there may be 1 or 2 guys from this squad that can fill in. But don't underestimate the quickness of DeSean and what it meant to last years squad........he was as valuable to WG defensively as JC was offensively.

Walnut Grove will be a team in the hunt to win a Provincial championship this year, but I don't think their overall team will be as good as they were last year. They are not a clear cut Number 1 as Kelowna was at this time last year.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
JesusShuttlesworth

PostSubject: Re: Odds - Just hypothetical   Mon Sep 24, 2012 3:27 pm

MagicMan wrote:
My point is that they are going to miss the defensive intensity that DeSean brought to the team. He was a defensive game changer as he was the quickest player on the court and altered what the opposing point guard wanted to do.

I agree, Desean was a game changer, his speed on the ball and around the court offensively and defensively, was a key to WG success last yr., his Sr. presence will be hard to replicate this season, Jadon will have to step up to another level this yr from last if thats even possible to push the Gators back to Prov. Finals
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Odds - Just hypothetical   Mon Sep 24, 2012 3:40 pm

JesusShuttlesworth wrote:
MagicMan wrote:
My point is that they are going to miss the defensive intensity that DeSean brought to the team. He was a defensive game changer as he was the quickest player on the court and altered what the opposing point guard wanted to do.

I agree, Desean was a game changer, his speed on the ball and around the court offensively and defensively, was a key to WG success last yr., his Sr. presence will be hard to replicate this season, Jadon will have to step up to another level this yr from last if thats even possible to push the Gators back to Prov. Finals

I watched them once at the spring lge beating Pitt easily without Jadon and Paul getz. I suspect he will be used as decoy because their are deep. They can only be beaten if Jadon tries to do all by himself or doesnt get others involved.
Back to top Go down
JesusShuttlesworth

PostSubject: Re: Odds - Just hypothetical   Mon Sep 24, 2012 3:47 pm

edward wrote:
I watched them once at the spring lge beating Pitt easily without Jadon and Paul getz. I suspect he will be used as decoy because their are deep. They can only be beaten if Jadon tries to do all by himself or doesnt get others involved.

I hope to catch some Grove games early in the season to see how their depth plays out against other tough Valley teams. WG has a great coaching staff so I know their players will be ready to compete given the chance, we'll see though if those younger players can step up when it counts, it will be fun to watch nontheless, about 2 months away until the season begins can't wait.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Odds - Just hypothetical   Mon Sep 24, 2012 3:52 pm

JesusShuttlesworth wrote:
edward wrote:

I hope to catch some Grove games early in the season to see how their depth plays out against other tough Valley teams. WG has a great coaching staff so I know their players will be ready to compete given the chance, we'll see though if those younger players can step up when it counts, it will be fun to watch nontheless, about 2 months away until the season begins can't wait.

Add Whiterock to your watch list, friend.
Back to top Go down
JesusShuttlesworth

PostSubject: Re: Odds - Just hypothetical   Mon Sep 24, 2012 5:55 pm

edward wrote:
Add Whiterock to your watch list, friend.
Cant wait for the Howard Tsumura Invitational at the LEC, which features Walnut Grove and White Rock Christian along with American powerhouse Findlay Prep in December.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BB fanatic

PostSubject: my top five   Mon Sep 24, 2012 6:38 pm

My picks, for what they are worth.
# 1 Walnut Grove
They have played as a group all summer. They have a star player in Jadon and also have excellent grade 12 players. They have excellent volunteer Coaching staff, along with head coach George. Their bench will be stronger than most. Only a selected few will challenge this team.
#2 Whiterock
With an outstanding starting five, probably the best BC has to offer in senior ball. Their Achilles heel will be their bench. They better hope they stay healthy (starters) or they could fall as much as ten spots.
#3 Kitsilano
Easily can be number 2 especially if Whiterock has injuries to their starting five. Luka had a great summer and is poised to lead this team to lofty heights.
#4 St George
Very talented team has one of the most talented players in BC in Drew Urquart. He will only get better throughout the season. Will be fun team to watch!
#5 Yale
This team can run and gun with the best. Jaquin Boire, JJ Pankratz, will lead this team back where they belong, top five. Only weakness will be their desire to play defense and rebounding. Can and will score in bunches… exciting team to watch play.
Mouat, Kelowna, Pit Meadows, Terry Fox, Church Hill, will all have their moments in 2012, and all could challenge for as high as #4 and 5 spots .
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BJH

PostSubject: Re: Odds - Just hypothetical   Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:17 pm

I've heard Walnut Grove has added a major impact transfer in Josh Mayorga, a 6'4"-6'5" grade 12 combo forward that was one of the main stars for HB Beal (London, ON), which made the semis of the 2012 4A OFSAA championship. His older brother, Arnold, played 4 years of D1 ball at LIU-Brooklyn.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.hoopstarscanada.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Odds - Just hypothetical   Today at 1:56 am

Back to top Go down

Odds - Just hypothetical
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1