HoopLife Forums

The opportunity to talk about issues affecting Canadian basketball from coast-to-coast

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Fraser Valley Top 16

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage

PostSubject: Fraser Valley Top 16   Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:08 pm

Whatd you guys think? any teams that you saw over the summer that are good but not being talked about much?

Here's mine
1. Walnut Grove
2. WRCA
3. WJ Mouat- A lot depends on if tristan's healthy
4. Yale- Lots of players on the BBC teams
5. Pitt Meadows
6. Enver Creek- One of the best Backcourts in BC with Gurkirat and Nich but froncourt lacks height and experience
7. Terry Fox
8. Tamanawas- Been hearing a lot of good things about the way sukhjot has played over the summer and have a solid group of juniors moving up
9. North Delta- They are a team that's ranked 14 i think in the province but I dont think they have any kind of spring or summer program and thats the main reason for the drop.
10. Lord Tweedsmuir- This team can be anywhere from 6-10, can score with ease, lack height.
11. Gleneagle
12. Sardis
13. Delta
14. Seaquam
15. Abby Collegiate
16. Centennial

HM- North Surrey, Panorama Ridge, Elgin Park, MEI, QE, Fleetwood.
Back to top Go down
Roadrunner

PostSubject: Re: Fraser Valley Top 16   Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:20 pm

I think Elgin will be able to crack the top 10. Should have a pretty decent starting group with a couple guys that can come off the bench.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BasketballFan

PostSubject: Re: Fraser Valley Top 16   Tue Oct 02, 2012 5:47 pm

You would be surprised if Tweedsmuir cracks the top 5 as well with a good backcourt as well and pure shooters than shoot the lights any given day. Yes they do lack in size but if they work on Defence they will be able to do it. No doubt will they make the Senior provincials for sure. They seem highly likely to win their division as well.

This is what the Province had for Pre-season ranking a couple months back:

1. Walnut Grove Gators (Langley)

2. White Rock Christian Academy Warriors (Surrey)

3. Kelowna Owls

4. W.J. Mouat Hawks

5. Sir Winston Churchill Bulldogs (Vancouver)

6. Yale Lions (Abbotsford)

7. Carson Graham Eagles (North Vancouver)

8. Kitsilano Blue Demons (Vancouver)

9. Oak Bay Bays (Victoria)

10. St. George’s Saints (Vancouver)

11. Pitt Meadows Marauders

12. Burnaby South Rebels

13. North Delta Huskies

14. Belmont Braves (Victoria)

15. Lord Tweedsmuir Panthers (Surrey)

Honourable mention — Gleneagle Talons (Coquitlam), Enver Creek Cougars (Surrey), Vancouver College Fighting Irish, Claremont Spartans (Victoria), Terry Fox Ravens (Port Coquitlam)

i would definatley beg to differ with these rankings and a lot of changes
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Fraser Valley Top 16   Wed Oct 03, 2012 3:44 am

Roadrunner wrote:
I think Elgin will be able to crack the top 10. Should have a pretty decent starting group with a couple guys that can come off the bench.

I have been hearing a lot about elgin on here but havent really seen anyone play besides Rajiv and i heard they have a couple of good posts so based on that dont know where i would put them
Back to top Go down
Roadrunner

PostSubject: Re: Fraser Valley Top 16   Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:46 am

I am somewhat familiar with the Elgin group and I know that in addition to Rajiv they have a pretty good core group. Good in the middle with Alex Hadikin and may be adding Aaron Boetcher from last years juniors. Aaron is in the range of 6'6"-6'7" and would help with the load in the middle. Sam Conti is a dependable, hard working guard. He plays hard the whole time he is on the court, good on defence. Brett Walker is physically strong and can drive the hoop hard as well as shoot from outside. Kevin Fang handles the ball well and is able to shoot from outside as well as take his man on inside. Richard Wang is pretty underrated and puts all he has into his play. His jumping ability allows him to rebound well against players considerably taller than him. I heard he broke his arm in spring ball but is expected to be good to go for the coming season. Brayden Boucher is developing into a player that can come in and spell off in the middle. He has grown considerably and is in the 6'5" range now. I have no clue as to who else may be coming up from junior, probably not a lot. They do need a few others to contribute and may suffer from lack of depth in some situations.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Fraser Valley Top 16   Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:21 pm

Roadrunner wrote:
I am somewhat familiar with the Elgin group and I know that in addition to Rajiv they have a pretty good core group. Good in the middle with Alex Hadikin and may be adding Aaron Boetcher from last years juniors. Aaron is in the range of 6'6"-6'7" and would help with the load in the middle. Sam Conti is a dependable, hard working guard. He plays hard the whole time he is on the court, good on defence. Brett Walker is physically strong and can drive the hoop hard as well as shoot from outside. Kevin Fang handles the ball well and is able to shoot from outside as well as take his man on inside. Richard Wang is pretty underrated and puts all he has into his play. His jumping ability allows him to rebound well against players considerably taller than him. I heard he broke his arm in spring ball but is expected to be good to go for the coming season. Brayden Boucher is developing into a player that can come in and spell off in the middle. He has grown considerably and is in the 6'5" range now. I have no clue as to who else may be coming up from junior, probably not a lot. They do need a few others to contribute and may suffer from lack of depth in some situations.

I have seen the juniors play and besides Aaron they didnt have much and finished 11th-12th surrey but the grade 11s moving up look strong from what you have said.

http://northpolehoops.com/2012/10/04/walnut-grove-has-unfinished-business-at-bc-provincials-jadon-cohee-to-lead-the-way/

Walnut Grove has added Josh Mayorga from Ontario and this just solidifies there ranking.
Back to top Go down
overthehill

PostSubject: Try Try Again   Sat Oct 13, 2012 2:03 pm

Good on WG for not being discouraged by their botched attempt at recruiting a big man last year. Sounds like they have learned from their mistakes. Bergen has surpassed Friesen in the valley for finding meaningful transfers.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JesusShuttlesworth

PostSubject: Re: Fraser Valley Top 16   Sat Oct 13, 2012 8:19 pm

bball81 wrote:

Walnut Grove has added Josh Mayorga from Ontario and this just solidifies there ranking.

Mayorga is a great addition to an already top tier squad, his size and versatility should give Coach Bergen alot of options on how to use him. Should fit well with Gators and could be the extra bump they need to take home the prize this season.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
vancoverman

PostSubject: In my opinion mouat and pitt meadows are ranked to high   Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:55 pm

Roadrunner wrote:
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fox2030

PostSubject: Re: Fraser Valley Top 16   Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:27 pm

I like WRCA chances this year. They have a great athletic group. If they can play with confidence this season
they will take home the gold. I think the core of this team has been together since grade 8.

Fox proved last year that teams win before individuals.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
fullcourtpress90

PostSubject: Re: Fraser Valley Top 16   Wed Nov 14, 2012 2:20 am

Fox2030 - What's your rationale for WRCA as a team instead of individual as you compare them to Fox last year? Are you saying that no other teams in the AAAs represent a team?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fox2030

PostSubject: Re: Fraser Valley Top 16   Wed Nov 21, 2012 3:45 am

fullcourtpress90 wrote:
Fox2030 - What's your rationale for WRCA as a team instead of individual as you compare them to Fox last year? Are you saying that no other teams in the AAAs represent a team?

I think my statement is obvious to anyone that followed the top teams in the Province last seaon. Fox had some very good ball players, but no that was a top 15 player in the Province. They won the Provincials because of hustle, team play and character. Of course an arguement could be made for Slater being a Provincial team player.
As far as White Rock goes they have several good athletic kids that have skill. I don't see them relying on one player. If someone has an off night they have the talent that can pick up the slack. That is what hurt several teams last year at Provincials, there key guys played too much early in the tournie and had off nights in the next game.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Roadrunner

PostSubject: Re: Fraser Valley Top 16   Wed Nov 21, 2012 1:24 pm

I would say one big difference between a team like Terry Fox last year and WRCA this year could be a lack of the one big man on the team. WRCA is a talented group for sure but they do not have anybody over the 6'4" range unless I am mistaken. As for the team unity, I think it remains to be seen. WRCA had a good run last year but also showed signs of coming apart at the seams as a team shortly before the Provincials. Rumors I heard had players quitting the team due to coaching/playing time issues. Not sure if that is true or not but, if it is true, it is certainly not the sign of a closely knit bunch. Thoughts?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JesusShuttlesworth

PostSubject: Re: Fraser Valley Top 16   Wed Nov 21, 2012 3:44 pm

Roadrunner wrote:
I would say one big difference between a team like Terry Fox last year and WRCA this year could be a lack of the one big man on the team. WRCA is a talented group for sure but they do not have anybody over the 6'4" range unless I am mistaken. As for the team unity, I think it remains to be seen. WRCA had a good run last year but also showed signs of coming apart at the seams as a team shortly before the Provincials. Rumors I heard had players quitting the team due to coaching/playing time issues. Not sure if that is true or not but, if it is true, it is certainly not the sign of a closely knit bunch. Thoughts?

WRCA had that whole coaching change (player/parent revolt) at the end of last season heading to Provincials and hopefully that has been resolved with TWU coach Scott Allen taking back the reigns of the program this season, to help lead there talented group of Sr.'s. But only time will tell.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
fullcourtpress90

PostSubject: Re: Fraser Valley Top 16   Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:32 pm

There's only a handful of really elite players this year and several very good teams. Skill, experience, game schedule, coaching, depth and offensive/defensive schemes will ultimately determine the elite teams from the rest of the pack and who wins it in the end. The teams that rate the highst in these areas are the definite favorites.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ButterBaller

PostSubject: Re: Fraser Valley Top 16   Thu Nov 22, 2012 2:50 am

JesusShuttlesworth wrote:
Roadrunner wrote:

WRCA had that whole coaching change (player/parent revolt) at the end of last season heading to Provincials and hopefully that has been resolved with TWU coach Scott Allen taking back the reigns of the program this season, to help lead there talented group of Sr.'s. But only time will tell.

All this makes their run through the provincials last year all the more impressive, coming in as a #10 seed and getting to within one game of possibly winning the title themselves. Playing with the kind of adversity and drama it seems these players dealt with can only make them stronger for this season.

Not sure if Scott Allen is the answer as coach, I would think a ton of credit must have been given to whoever led them on that run last year and maybe they should've brought that person back to coach this group again.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Roadrunner

PostSubject: Re: Fraser Valley Top 16   Fri Nov 23, 2012 2:54 pm

Hello Butterballer,

I totally agree with you. I think WRCA overcame a lot of team adversity at the end of the year and regrouped to make a great run in the Provincial Tourney. I think it is important to remember that this years team is not last years. They have lost Baerg and Newman in their lineup. A couple guys that were in the 6-5" -> 6-7" range and both pretty good ball players. I am not sure they are replacing those guys with anybody from the junior team. Without a doubt, they have some pretty high end talent and I hope to catch a game or two this year to see how they match up against a bigger team. Not sure who might have a skilled team with tall players, I suppose Walnut Grove will be a tough test for sure but there must be another team or two that fall into that category.

Any thoughts?
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Fraser Valley Top 16   Mon Nov 26, 2012 3:11 pm

Roadrunner wrote:
Hello Butterballer,

I totally agree with you. I think WRCA overcame a lot of team adversity at the end of the year and regrouped to make a great run in the Provincial Tourney. I think it is important to remember that this years team is not last years. They have lost Baerg and Newman in their lineup. A couple guys that were in the 6-5" -> 6-7" range and both pretty good ball players. I am not sure they are replacing those guys with anybody from the junior team. Without a doubt, they have some pretty high end talent and I hope to catch a game or two this year to see how they match up against a bigger team. Not sure who might have a skilled team with tall players, I suppose Walnut Grove will be a tough test for sure but there must be another team or two that fall into that category.

Any thoughts?

1. Walnut Grove Gators (Langley)
2. Yale Lions (Abbotsford)
3. Kitsilano Blue Demons (Vancouver)
4. White Rock Christian Academy Warriors
5. W.J. Mouat Hawks (Abbotsford)
6. Sir Winston Churchill Bulldogs (Vancouver)
7. St. Georges Saints (Vancouver)
8. Pitt Meadows Marauders
9. Kelowna Owls
10. Burnaby South Rebels

Honourable Mention: Tamanawis Wildcats (Surrey), Oak Bay Bays (Victoria), Gleneagle Talons (Coquitlam), Vancouver College Fighting Irish, Carson Graham Eagles (North Vancouver)

With 4 valley teams in the top 5 i think basically anyone of those can win it and looks like tamanawis has improved a lot over the summer.
Back to top Go down
ButterBaller

PostSubject: Re: Fraser Valley Top 16   Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:32 am

Roadrunner wrote:
Hello Butterballer,

Any thoughts?

WRCA will be in the provincial mix but size will be a problem. Mouat, St. George's and Kits will give them a hard time along with Walnut Grove, but I could also see a team like Tamanawis surprising them if they have enough size to cover the floor in a zone and play high low over the top of WRCA's defense.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Fraser Valley Top 16   Today at 1:51 am

Back to top Go down

Fraser Valley Top 16
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1