HoopLife Forums

The opportunity to talk about issues affecting Canadian basketball from coast-to-coast

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

2012-2013 Top Ten Girls Teams

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
CoachDJR

PostSubject: 2012-2013 Top Ten Girls Teams   Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:25 am

1. Fredericton High School - Appleby is big loss but get stronger in the back court + McLeod and some young bigs. Only AAA girls team really playing with true bigs and it causes matchup problems.
2. BMHS - Strong, Deep. We'll see what new coaching brings.
3. Riverview - Probably a coin toss at this point with BMHS but younger.
4. Sussex - Young and competitive last year. Bringing back and potentially in BNB players. Well coached
5. KVHS - Talent gets a year older and deep. Who is coaching and how they perform may be an issue.
6. Woodstock - Very good skilled group. Play disciplined but were inconsistent last year.
7. Tantramar - Bringing back their leading scorers and a young bench a year stronger. Should be the front runner in AA. Hard to say where they stack vs the teams already mentioned.
8. LHHS - Always lots of talent and athletes but seem to struggle to put it together. Maybe sooner rather then later?
9. RNS - May not be this high but have been to two straight provincial finals in AA and bring back two provincial calibre posts.
10. JMH - Will have a very very young varisty squad but a very athletic group that is strong in multiple sports.

Maybe should have been on the list: HTHS, JCS . . .

Back to top Go down
View user profile
39forever

PostSubject: Re: 2012-2013 Top Ten Girls Teams   Sat Oct 06, 2012 7:50 am

CoachDJR wrote:
1. Fredericton High School - Appleby is big loss but get stronger in the back court + McLeod and some young bigs. Only AAA girls team really playing with true bigs and it causes matchup problems.
4. Sussex - Young and competitive last year. Bringing back and potentially in BNB players. Well coached
5. KVHS - Talent gets a year older and deep. Who is coaching and how they perform may be an issue.
6. Woodstock - Very good skilled group. Play disciplined but were inconsistent last year.
7. Tantramar - Bringing back their leading scorers and a young bench a year stronger. Should be the front runner in AA. Hard to say where they stack vs the teams already mentioned.
8. LHHS - Always lots of talent and athletes but seem to struggle to put it together. Maybe sooner rather then later?
9. RNS - May not be this high but have been to two straight provincial finals in AA and bring back two provincial calibre posts.
10. JMH - Will have a very very young varisty squad but a very athletic group that is strong in multiple sports.

Just wondering about Rothesay High, defending Champs, not even worth mentioning? I am not that familiar with their returning roster, but I assumed that they would be in the mix. I think RNS will really struggle this year, not sure who will run the back court for them. I am actually interested in JMA, they have been improving each year and could actually make a bit of a move in AA. I also think you left out a team you are somewhat familiar with. I think the Fundy girls will finish ahead of JMA and RNS, perhaps trying to fly under the radar a bit?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CoachDJR

PostSubject: Re: 2012-2013 Top Ten Girls Teams   Sat Oct 06, 2012 8:25 pm

39forever wrote:

Just wondering about Rothesay High, defending Champs, not even worth mentioning? I am not that familiar with their returning roster, but I assumed that they would be in the mix. I think RNS will really struggle this year, not sure who will run the back court for them. I am actually interested in JMA, they have been improving each year and could actually make a bit of a move in AA. I also think you left out a team you are somewhat familiar with. I think the Fundy girls will finish ahead of JMA and RNS, perhaps trying to fly under the radar a bit?[/quote]

Fair questions:

- Rothesay High as far as I know, had 9 players on Varsity last year and graduated 5 starters and the first kid off the bench. They did have a very strong JV team but they were all 9th graders so they are trying to reload with 10th graders who haven't played varsity. Also they have some strict school rules about 9/10 graders playing varsity and it not hurting their JV program so all of them might not even be there. Too many questions. Happy to be proven wrong.

- RNS is a question mark. You are right in your assessment of their backcourt, but they unlike most other schools in the NBIAA don't always have to groom their own backcourt. So its a wait and see sort of deal. They are returning 2 provincial level posts though so that is a big advantage to try to play around.

- NO idea about JMA but JMH |(James m HIll) out of Miramichi has a chance to be 3rd best team in AAA girls east has very young athletic scorers that will only get better as year goes on.

- No flying under the radar but if RHS is unproven you can say the same about Fundy. Once they beat somebody on that list we'll talk. Until they can finish top 8 in a league with 10 teams they need to do talking on the court before it gets recognized online/in print. Lots of past success at the middle school and JV/midget level, now it needs to be translated to the varsity level. Hope might float but its not a gameplan. If they get it done thats tremendous, if they don't we can blame the coaching.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
39forever

PostSubject: Re: 2012-2013 Top Ten Girls Teams   Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:07 pm

CoachDJR wrote:
39forever wrote:

Just wondering about Rothesay High, defending Champs, not even worth mentioning? I am not that familiar with their returning roster, but I assumed that they would be in the mix. I think RNS will really struggle this year, not sure who will run the back court for them. I am actually interested in JMA, they have been improving each year and could actually make a bit of a move in AA. I also think you left out a team you are somewhat familiar with. I think the Fundy girls will finish ahead of JMA and RNS, perhaps trying to fly under the radar a bit?

Fair questions:

- Rothesay High as far as I know, had 9 players on Varsity last year and graduated 5 starters and the first kid off the bench. They did have a very strong JV team but they were all 9th graders so they are trying to reload with 10th graders who haven't played varsity. Also they have some strict school rules about 9/10 graders playing varsity and it not hurting their JV program so all of them might not even be there. Too many questions. Happy to be proven wrong.

- RNS is a question mark. You are right in your assessment of their backcourt, but they unlike most other schools in the NBIAA don't always have to groom their own backcourt. So its a wait and see sort of deal. They are returning 2 provincial level posts though so that is a big advantage to try to play around.

- NO idea about JMA but JMH |(James m HIll) out of Miramichi has a chance to be 3rd best team in AAA girls east has very young athletic scorers that will only get better as year goes on.

- No flying under the radar but if RHS is unproven you can say the same about Fundy. Once they beat somebody on that list we'll talk. Until they can finish top 8 in a league with 10 teams they need to do talking on the court before it gets recognized online/in print. Lots of past success at the middle school and JV/midget level, now it needs to be translated to the varsity level. Hope might float but its not a gameplan. If they get it done thats tremendous, if they don't we can blame the coaching.[/quote]

Good point about RNS not having to groom their own backcourt, could depend on who transfers in. Props to them for bumping themselves up to AA on their own, a class act. Too bad the rest of their school teams don't show the same type of class, then again, the same could probably be said of Devon Park. It's not always about the size of the school, but about the size of the community they draw from that should have something to do with it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
breakercoach

PostSubject: Top Ten Girls Teams   Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:18 pm

My thoughts on top ten list:

1. FHS- legtimate top seed. Lots of provincial players in the mix and nobody really can play in the half court with them.
2. KVHS- Looks like they will have some experience joining the returning coach on the bench so that could make a difference. They have 8-9 kids that are capable of playing an up tempo, 90 possesion + type of game and if the coaches can make them gel they should be at HS.
3. MacNaughton- top PG in province, if others step up they can contend
4. Riverview- young but some good kids coming along
5. Sussex- lots of girls coming through in dairy town that can play.
6. Woodstock
7. JMH- should be competitive witha couple of kids who can really score stepping up to varsity
8. RHS- will be young but scrappy provided thay can find enough bodies.
9-10- not sure on Notthwest- SV?, RNS- may be ok, but not sure both of the provincial bigs will be a bit help to them.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Coachmac

PostSubject: Re: 2012-2013 Top Ten Girls Teams   Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:11 pm

39forever wrote:
CoachDJR wrote:

JMA is in a rebuilding year. We graduated our starting 5. We will be a bit taller than any year since I have been there.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.homesmoncton.com
CoachDJR

PostSubject: Re: 2012-2013 Top Ten Girls Teams   Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:20 pm

1. Fredericton High
2. Sussex
3. BMHS
4. Riverview
5. KVHS
6. LHHS
7. Tantramar
8. WHS
9. JMH
10. RNS/RHS
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Metta Peace

PostSubject: Re: 2012-2013 Top Ten Girls Teams   Thu Nov 15, 2012 8:16 pm

39forever wrote:
CoachDJR wrote:
39forever wrote:

Fair questions:

- No flying under the radar but if RHS is unproven you can say the same about Fundy. Once they beat somebody on that list we'll talk. Until they can finish top 8 in a league with 10 teams they need to do talking on the court before it gets recognized online/in print. Lots of past success at the middle school and JV/midget level, now it needs to be translated to the varsity level. Hope might float but its not a gameplan. If they get it done thats tremendous, if they don't we can blame the coaching.

Good point about RNS not having to groom their own backcourt, could depend on who transfers in. Props to them for bumping themselves up to AA on their own, a class act. Too bad the rest of their school teams don't show the same type of class, then again, the same could probably be said of Devon Park. It's not always about the size of the school, but about the size of the community they draw from that should have something to do with it.[/quote]

I think there was a time that the NBIAA required private schools to play at the highest level. Not sure when and why they ended that stance. Thought it was in the constitution?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
baller20

PostSubject: Re: 2012-2013 Top Ten Girls Teams   Thu Nov 15, 2012 8:59 pm

Quote :
the same could probably be said of Devon Park.
Speaking of Devon Park, very unrelivant to the topic but Devon Park's leading scorer slammed his head into the gym off a rebound against Nackawic tonight and was down for several minutes before being helped up and out of the gym. Why there isn't padding 3 or 4 feet away from the net on the right side, is beyond me. It's very dangerous! But best wishes to the guy, he's a very talented and polite player. I wish him a speedy recovery!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CoachDJR

PostSubject: Re: 2012-2013 Top Ten Girls Teams   Sun Nov 18, 2012 4:49 pm

KVHS girls beat Fredericton twice this weekend.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
breakercoach

PostSubject: Re: 2012-2013 Top Ten Girls Teams   Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:20 pm

After weekend results at lions den I will flip my first two but keep the others as is.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CoachDJR

PostSubject: Re: 2012-2013 Top Ten Girls Teams   Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:23 am

1. KVHS - Two big wins against FHS.
2. FHS - Can't be happy about two losses to KVHS in Fredericton.
3. Sussex - Haven't seen any results for them from this past weekend.
4. BMHS - Very tough maybe better than this but needs to play and beat one of these teams or a common opponent by enough to get over the hump.
5. Riverview
6. Woodstock
7. LHHS
8. Tantramar
9. JMH
10. RHS
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CoachDJR

PostSubject: Re: 2012-2013 Top Ten Girls Teams   Thu Nov 22, 2012 11:06 am

KVHS gets a tight win over Rothesay last night. Defending AA champs will be tough again.

On a possibly related note, and I don't want to jump the gun or call people out as I've only seen scores from these games not the actual games. Do these high end girls games seem really low scoring to anyone else? I'm mean I was a Pistons Fan of Bad Boys, and want kids to defend as hard as anybody but I'm confused as to how games littered with the best players in the province have scores in the 30's and 40's?

The provincial team programs have been trying to build kids who can play at pace, shoot, and make good reads with good footwork and FHS, KVHS, RHS etc have gluts of these kids. Is our defense so far ahead of our offense that when the best kids get together no one can score? Or are these teams littered with talent so concerned about defensive balance, and not turning the ball over that all these games turn into grind em out affairs 5 on 5 1//4 court. As I say I haven't seen the games so I can't make a fair judgement, but I am familiar with a lot of the kids involved and for kids with good skill sets who can play at pace, these games seem to have realy low scores.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
breakercoach

PostSubject: Re: 2012-2013 Top Ten Girls Teams   Thu Nov 22, 2012 2:51 pm

Comments regarding low scores:

- lack of consistent shooting. IMO this skill is one skill that we need to be more diligent in making sure kids are doing it properly from a young age. Perhaps our new technical director can bring this to our coaches.
- in the games that I have watched the concentration was not on "not turning the ball over". There were countless turnovers and many unforced. Poor decisions being made. I am sure this will improve as season goes along and coaches make necessary corrections.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Coachmac

PostSubject: Re: 2012-2013 Top Ten Girls Teams   Thu Nov 22, 2012 2:54 pm

breakercoach wrote:
Comments regarding low scores:

- lack of consistent shooting. IMO this skill is one skill that we need to be more diligent in making sure kids are doing it properly from a young age. Perhaps our new technical director can bring this to our coaches.
- in the games that I have watched the concentration was not on "not turning the ball over". There were countless turnovers and many unforced. Poor decisions being made. I am sure this will improve as season goes along and coaches make necessary corrections.

I also feel a lack of ability in shooting is the big problem. Shooting is the skill that has to be done by the players on their own time to get enough reps in. Unfortunately, not many are willing to make that sacrifice.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.homesmoncton.com
CoachDJR

PostSubject: Re: 2012-2013 Top Ten Girls Teams   Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:26 pm

1. KVHS - Staying on top with tough wins vs. top ten teams.
2. Riverview - Big win over FHS this past weekend.
3. Fredericton High School - Tough loses early but will be in the mix until the end.
4. Sussex - Played a fresh KV squad tough, wins over other top AAA teams including Riverview.
5. BMHS - THey need to play and beat someone in the top 4 to move up.
6 - Woodstock HIgh School - Strong showing but need to beat someone up top or go to the wire to show they are in their calibre.
7 - Tantramar - Beating AAA schoos, competing with others.
8 - RHS - Played KV very tough. Starters are looking very good early.
9 - JMH - Lots of talent would like to see them play and beat sonme poeple on this list, Maybe they have and I just haven't seen scores.
10 - LHHS - Still getting it together for playoff time. Trying to get out of a very tough SW conference.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CoachDJR

PostSubject: Re: 2012-2013 Top Ten Girls Teams   Sun Dec 02, 2012 6:56 pm

1. KVHS - Someone needs to beat em to move them.
2. Fredericton - Strong showing in PEI this weekend, wins over Horton and Riverview.
3. BMHS - Had to beat someone and did with Riverview, finishing 3rd in PEI tourney.
4. Sussex - NO real movement. Keep them still for now.
5. Riverivew - Tough weekend in PEI with losses to top teams.
6. WHS - Took care of business this week but need to win vs top teams to move on up.
7. Tantramar
8. RHS
9. JMH
10. LHHS

Back to top Go down
View user profile
CoachDJR

PostSubject: Re: 2012-2013 Top Ten Girls Teams   Sun Dec 09, 2012 8:03 pm

1. KVHS - Still solid at 1 until someone beats them. Two wins vs TOP NS competition this weekend.
2. Fredericton
3. Bernice McNaughton - Looked good at Moncton Classic.
4. Riverview - Great battle between them and BMHS every time they play. Makes them both better.
5. Sussex - Dropping them one spot because the other top 4 are playing winning vs top teams and I haven't seen a score for them in a while other than the league loss to KVHS vs top 10 team.
6. WHS - Still appears to be the next best girls team on the list.
7. RHS - Win over Tantramar moves them up and gives them status as top AA team in the province right now.
8. Tantramar - Drops due to loss to RHS at home in their tourney final.
9. LHHS
10. SVHS - Comes into the list as the next best AA team taking James M Hill's spot who is riddled with injuries leading to a losses to much weaker competition.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CoachDJR

PostSubject: Re: 2012-2013 Top Ten Girls Teams   Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:51 am

Big week of league games so far:

LHHS over WHS by 1
BMHS beats Riverview.
SVHS meets Rothesay this weekend.

Any big tournaments this weekend?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CoachDJR

PostSubject: Re: 2012-2013 Top Ten Girls Teams   Sun Dec 16, 2012 9:41 pm

1. KVHS - Need someone to play and beat them.
2. Fredericton - Looking stronger week in and out, but go through stretches where their defense has to carry them.
3. BMHS - League win over Riverview solidifies their position here.
4. Sussex - Tough top 3 to crack but Sussex is young and getting better.
5. Riverview - Only 2 wins in 7 games vs top 4.
6. LHHS - Big league win over WHS this week.
7. WHS - Down a spot with the loss the LHHS.
8. RHS - Great defense has them tops in AA girls.
9. Tantramar - Tough week with loss to Rothesay and much closer game with Bathurst then they should have.
10. SVHS - Need to play at beat someone on this list to move up.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bballer2

PostSubject: Re: 2012-2013 Top Ten Girls Teams   Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:24 am

CoachDJR wrote:
1. KVHS - Need someone to play and beat them.
2. Fredericton - Looking stronger week in and out, but go through stretches where their defense has to carry them.
3. BMHS - League win over Riverview solidifies their position here.
4. Sussex - Tough top 3 to crack but Sussex is young and getting better.
5. Riverview - Only 2 wins in 7 games vs top 4.
6. LHHS - Big league win over WHS this week.
7. WHS - Down a spot with the loss the LHHS.
8. RHS - Great defense has them tops in AA girls.
9. Tantramar - Tough week with loss to Rothesay and much closer game with Bathurst then they should have.
10. SVHS - Need to play at beat someone on this list to move up.

good choices coach, and yes, Tantramar had a tough loss to Rothesay and a closer win against Bathurst. What you possibly may not know, is they are missing one of their top players, a grade 10 student, that takes away some of their offence, and they have had to "redo" their offence on the fly. She has not played in a month, and hopes to possibly return in Jan. I watch alot of their games, and they are doing as well as they possibly can, with their leading point getter and AA player of the year last yr putting the team on her back. They will be there come Feb, hopefully with a full team.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CoachDJR

PostSubject: Re: 2012-2013 Top Ten Girls Teams   Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:09 am

bballer2 wrote:

good choices coach, and yes, Tantramar had a tough loss to Rothesay and a closer win against Bathurst. What you possibly may not know, is they are missing one of their top players, a grade 10 student, that takes away some of their offence, and they have had to "redo" their offence on the fly. She has not played in a month, and hopes to possibly return in Jan. I watch alot of their games, and they are doing as well as they possibly can, with their leading point getter and AA player of the year last yr putting the team on her back. They will be there come Feb, hopefully with a full team.

Interesting I'm not that familiar with the TRHS lineup but I felt like they should have more firepower then they showed in the scores for those two games.

It also brings up an interesting issue that I see in High School basketball. Now I'm not saying it is always the case, and obviously no matter what team you are on if you are down a top player you are going to struggle, but I find it interesting in a couple of posts this weekend the absence of a player hasrequired that teams change the way the play offense. Now I know provincially (BNB, EDP, etc) there is a big push to make universal players. You aren't creating positional players as much as skilled kids who can read, play and make decisions. At the high school level though it would seem that most teams have clearly defined positions and roles. Each players unqiue skill set seems to be adapted for rather then playing a way that expects/requires them to adapt. More coach what you've got rather then coach what you want them to be??

I don't necessarily think one is right and one is wrong but it is ironic that we want our very best players to be ones who can think, move adapt nad make their own decisions but in high level competitive sports we aren't developing all of our players to do that.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bballer2

PostSubject: Re: 2012-2013 Top Ten Girls Teams   Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:36 am

CoachDJR wrote:
bballer2 wrote:

Interesting I'm not that familiar with the TRHS lineup but I felt like they should have more firepower then they showed in the scores for those two games.

It also brings up an interesting issue that I see in High School basketball. Now I'm not saying it is always the case, and obviously no matter what team you are on if you are down a top player you are going to struggle, but I find it interesting in a couple of posts this weekend the absence of a player hasrequired that teams change the way the play offense. Now I know provincially (BNB, EDP, etc) there is a big push to make universal players. You aren't creating positional players as much as skilled kids who can read, play and make decisions. At the high school level though it would seem that most teams have clearly defined positions and roles. Each players unqiue skill set seems to be adapted for rather then playing a way that expects/requires them to adapt. More coach what you've got rather then coach what you want them to be??

I don't necessarily think one is right and one is wrong but it is ironic that we want our very best players to be ones who can think, move adapt nad make their own decisions but in high level competitive sports we aren't developing all of our players to do that.

I couldn't agree more with you on that. What quite alot of teams have are 1-2 players that want to play at a high level, not only in high school, but beyond, and the rest are wanting to play for......fun? especcially in this area of the province, just my opinion. So, coaches will identify these players and work with them, knowing they can "trust" those players in certain situations because they want to be the ones, and leave it to those players to make the rest of the team better. In a short season, a team such as Tantramar can not afford to be patient waiting for "elete" players, simply because there isn't enough to pick from....or if there is, they are not trying out... so, you have your 1 star, 2 if your lucky, and you coach around those players, - and hope for the best, again, only my opinion. There are 6 rookies on the TRHS squad, i believe 4 have never played ball, if they did, very little, so, what the coach has done so far to get the most out of them is decent- and with one of their "stars" gone, it's been an emotional rollercoaster for the girls, and they should gel after the christmas break with their 4 return players from last year.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
student

PostSubject: Re: 2012-2013 Top Ten Girls Teams   Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:08 pm

2 good posts. lots of common sense. but numbers of the type of player bnb wants are and always have been in short supply. high school coaches have few to choose from and numbers will probably shrink
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CoachDJR

PostSubject: Re: 2012-2013 Top Ten Girls Teams   Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:21 pm

I guess my only question would then be are we getting what we expect or expecting what we get? If we want it to be more don't we have to do things differently to get different results?

The reason we have so few numbers of those types of players (skill wise not genetically speaking) is the same reason we have so few kids in the province who play the bassoon or speak dutch. It is only happening where it is expected or by those who have an interest on their own. On the other hand we have a much higher # of kids who have a number of skills (math, english, science, french, volunteerism, citizenship, skating, etc) because that is what we expect them to be able to do and emphasize that they be able to do it? Wouldn't we have more if we expected more and coached more? At all levels including high school?

Last edited by CoachDJR on Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 2012-2013 Top Ten Girls Teams   Today at 3:19 pm

Back to top Go down

2012-2013 Top Ten Girls Teams
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next