HoopLife Forums

The opportunity to talk about issues affecting Canadian basketball from coast-to-coast

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Believe the Hype.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
CoachDJR

PostSubject: Believe the Hype.   Thu Oct 18, 2012 7:22 pm

Friday marks the first official day of Winter Sports and basketball tryouts.

What's your best pre-season rumour, hype, or basketball thought before the real stuff starts up on the 9th of Nov.?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
baller20

PostSubject: Re: Believe the Hype.   Thu Oct 18, 2012 7:36 pm

I see CNBA, Sir James Dunn and Samuel De Champlain are registered for A boys! Nice to see these teams back, especially SDC who's been out of the league for some time now. Other then that, I have nothing. Should be an exciting season Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Boas 98-02

PostSubject: Re: Believe the Hype.   Fri Oct 19, 2012 7:49 am

CNBA is going to try to have a team yes, I will be coaching, hopefully we have enough interest, it appears we do!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Trailblazer

PostSubject: Re: Believe the Hype.   Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:48 am

Truth or Rumor ?
Moncton High School has 15 grade nines coming to open gyms and is not going to run a JV program this year
Opinion
Unacceptable for some of our biggest schools around the province to not be running a program resulting in many kids no longer playing at this level

Back to top Go down
View user profile
poolie

PostSubject: Boys or Girls   Fri Oct 19, 2012 7:14 pm

The jv girls in the north east have JMH,Riverview,BMHS. If moncton had that many kids out they should have a team. That is sad.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Eddie Vedder

PostSubject: Re: Believe the Hype.   Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:36 pm

There is no one interested in coaching MHS JV boys, as of right now there is no coach.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
poolie

PostSubject: JMH JV Boys    Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:50 pm

The JMH JV boys are also still looking for a coach
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CoachDJR

PostSubject: Re: Believe the Hype.   Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:39 pm

JV is a mess province wide.

- Big schools with lots of kids can't find coaches.

- At both AAA and AA levels there are 1-2 teams that are dramatically better then everyone else.

- Some schools mandate their best 9's or 10's play down, others strictly run it as developmental.

- Not enough A and AA schools willing to run JV teams to maintain conferences and leagues

- No such thing as A juniors, so middle school aged kids from A schools get to play the strongest 9's 10's from barely AAA schools.

- Some schools can't get their kids to play at proper developmental levels. It is for a variety of reasons: disagreements/dislike of coaches, external pressure to play with their chronological age, policy that don't regard developmental differences and age only, or groups of kids who simply want to play with their friends or are worried about winning JV titles. Often times at the very best schools kid who could/should play varsity are on JV simply because of the depth of talent at the school.

- Schools often times for budgetary or competitive reasons won't field teams.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
C-N '06-'09

PostSubject: Re: Believe the Hype.   Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:22 pm

CoachDJR wrote:
JV is a mess province wide.

- Big schools with lots of kids can't find coaches.

- At both AAA and AA levels there are 1-2 teams that are dramatically better then everyone else.

- Some schools mandate their best 9's or 10's play down, others strictly run it as developmental.

- Not enough A and AA schools willing to run JV teams to maintain conferences and leagues

- No such thing as A juniors, so middle school aged kids from A schools get to play the strongest 9's 10's from barely AAA schools.

- Some schools can't get their kids to play at proper developmental levels. It is for a variety of reasons: disagreements/dislike of coaches, external pressure to play with their chronological age, policy that don't regard developmental differences and age only, or groups of kids who simply want to play with their friends or are worried about winning JV titles. Often times at the very best schools kid who could/should play varsity are on JV simply because of the depth of talent at the school.

- Schools often times for budgetary or competitive reasons won't field teams.

Maybe the solution is to try to move towards more of a hockey model. I am not saying get rid of middle school teams, but midget programs are already popping up, so what if the JV model for high school basketball was scrapped. BNB could create smaller regional or provincial leagues (depending on numbers). Maybe a four tiered BNB system is the answer. A 4A or 3A league that saw Fredericton with 2 teams, SJ with a team or 2, and Moncton with a team would most likely be competitive. This might keep higher participation numbers through the high school years as well. Being cut by the top team in your minor organization does not seem like as big of a deal when you just drop down to the organization 1A team, for example, as being cut from your high school`s JV team and then going out to the minor organization to try out. I am sure this would pose a problem for some of the smaller areas, but I am not sure exactly how the JV program in McAdam, for example, works. I come from an area that only had 13 kids from grades 9-12 come out for try-outs which is an increase from the previous years, so a JV or Midget program is not a concern.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hardfouls

PostSubject: Re: Believe the Hype.   Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:27 am

The "Move to BNB" solution comes up often whenever we discuss NBIAA issues. I've never seen how this solves the problem, especially some of the problems listed above regarding JV basketball. Why would more kids be interested in playing BNB vs for their school? Why would more coaches be interested in coaching a BNB team vs NBIAA team?

I've also never liked the fact that we always feel compelled to administer/organize AAA, AA and A leagues the same. We should have flexibility to do what's best for the sport. If something works at the A level but not at the AAA level then let's do it.

For example, Maine (maybe other states) allows JV players to also play varsity. Typically these kids are the key players for the JV team and minor roles players for varsity, but this could be a way for smaller schools (A or AA schools) to have the ability to field JV teams.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.hardfouls.com
CoachDJR

PostSubject: Re: Believe the Hype.   Fri Oct 26, 2012 2:13 pm

I would tend to concur with Hardfouls on this one. The move to BNB isn't always the best solution. Though the rest of the world seems to function on club models but I do not like the American model for us in Canada or NB.

I also think that school sports is important. The problem with the "hockey model" for me is that I don't like hockey culture around most clubs and club teams. With school sports there is a general epectation of being an exemplary student representative. Sport is not just about the sport but implcitly about more then that but I'm rambling . . .

I think the biggest issue that Hardfouls brought up is the management issue. You can't have one rule, one size, etc that fits all. You also can't have 53 different rules that help everybody but you can have flexibitily. You can't tell me that of the 50+ schools willing to register basketball teams at varsity you couldn't find more then 22 that could find 8-12 kids that could develop and be playing basketball if they had an appropriate and meaninful place to play.

The only reasons I think that midget ball might be superior to club ball would be that it does get rid of the deterants that hold back some (not all programs): ie players playing varsity could also play midget, costs and travel concerns associated with school ball don't exist the same way in midget.

I don't want this thread to be all about JV basketball but here would be my thoughts on improving it:

- JV teams need to be put into a pool that is all jv teams province wide and then simply tiered for competition. So you can play local teams and focus on developing players without worries over competition issues until the end of the season

- LIke BNB provincials JV teams simply go to the appropriate provincial regardless of who they have or haven't played all year long. With 20-24 Jv teams registered you are only talking about 3/4 ish provincial tournaments as opposed to the 3 there is supposed to be on each side. Obviously the format of those would change to more round robin then single elimination.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
CoachDJR

PostSubject: Re: Believe the Hype.   Thu Nov 08, 2012 5:14 pm

Just another JV update. There will be no A/AA jv girls league this year, because their are not enough teams in either to have one on their own and when combined all but 5 teams elected to play exhibition.

As a result the NBIAA has told the other 5 teams they must play exhibition this year. The option to play up in AAA is not available because its too late now that the decision has been made.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Believe the Hype.   Today at 7:28 pm

Back to top Go down

Believe the Hype.
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1