HoopLife Forums

The opportunity to talk about issues affecting Canadian basketball from coast-to-coast

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

2012-13 Top Teams

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
McCoach

PostSubject: 2012-13 Top Teams   Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:29 am

Who is going to step up as the top teams in Junior and Senior this season?

Rumours are flying about the top teams in Junior being:
- Mother Teresa
- St Pauls
- Louis Riel
- St Pats

Senior I'm Hearing:
- Immaculata
- Louis Riel
- St Pats
- Life Christian Academy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
coachc

PostSubject: Re: 2012-13 Top Teams   Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:09 pm

It will be interesting to see how Louis Riel does in senior without their players who are at the school focusing on basketball. The NCSSAA apparently put in a new rule that says that schools with sports focus or who are designated as sports schools cannot have their players play their primary sport unless the school they are at is also their home school. Thus, a person who is at Louis Riel for their sport program with a focus in basketball cannot play basketball on the school team. They can play any other sport for the school team but not their primary one.

As for the rankings, I think that Glebe, Earl of March, SRB, and St. FX will all be solid this year as well. St. Joe's is always solid and I believe Merivale was decent last year too so they could be in the mix as well. What about St. Matts? Is Life Christian playing single A this year or are they moving up with the bigger schools in AAA/AAAA? Where will Louis Riel play? SRB is AA this year.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Coach McLean

PostSubject: Re: 2012-13 Top Teams   Sat Nov 10, 2012 2:03 pm

Great insight Coach C. I had no clue that was the case for LR. I know SRB is AA size now, but why would they play down? They have always been competitive at AAA and AAAA?

Juniors at Lisgar could be interesting. Gone big bench but don't know if they'll be amongst the best, but should definitely be playing tier 1. Played a strong junior Perth team in exhibition Friday and came away with the win playing the full bench.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
baller29

PostSubject: Re: 2012-13 Top Teams   Sat Nov 10, 2012 10:08 pm

Lisgar... can't even remember the last time they field a competitive team. Immaculata has a strong team this year the core consist mostly of grade 10s but play like veterans. Alot of them played in big tournaments this summer and gotten a lot of experience and without a doubt transfer it into the high school season.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
coachc

PostSubject: Re: 2012-13 Top Teams   Sun Nov 11, 2012 10:20 am

The Louis Riel situation is new. However, I think that the rule might be grandfathered in. I think that anyone who was already at Louis Riel can still play any sport they wanted, but any new student at Louis Riel for the sports program cannot play their primary sport unless Louis Riel is also their home school. As for SRB, we went AA mostly because we were not 100 percent sure who would be coaching the team so we left them in the division they belonged rather than choosing to move up.

I know that Immaculata has a strong core of juniors moving up, but do they have any of their better players from last year's team returning? The two tournaments in the next two weeks will give us a good indication of who the front runners are. Next week's referees tournament includes Louis Riel, SRB, Earl, and some solid valley teams like Perth and Smiths Falls. The St. Pats tournament the week after is posted as well and has many of the preseason favourites in it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Coach McLean

PostSubject: Re: 2012-13 Top Teams   Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:23 am

Baller29, are you talking about the Immaculata Senior's or Junior's? Last I heard, all the Grade 10's moved up to play senior? I am really interested to see how they come together playing with they older guys.

Lisgar Seniors are Ofsaa division this year, but it's more of the transition year to start pushing the level with the grade 11's. I have no clue how well they'll compete, but wouldn't expect them to go down without a fight.

Divisions came out today:
JUNIOR
FAR EAST
EAST CENTRAL
EAST
- Beatrice Desloges
- Gisele Lalonde
- Sir Wil Laurier
- St Matts
- St Petes
- De La Salle
- Immaculata
- Lisgar
- Ridgemont
- St Patricks
- Ashbury
- Lester B Pearson
- Louis Riel
- Rideau
- Samuel Genest
WEST CENTRAL
SOUTH WEST
FAR WEST
- Deslauriers
- Merivale
- Nepean
- Notre Dame
- St FX
- St Pius
- John McCrae
- LDH
- Mother Teresa
- Pierre Savard
- St Joe's
- Franco Ouest
- Holy Trinity
- Sacred Heart
- South Carleton
- St Paul
My guess from this is Tier 1 East will be:
- St Matts
- St Petes
- St Pats
- Lisgar
- Ashbury
- Louis Riel

Tier 1 West:
- St FX
- Merivale
- LDH
- Mother Teresa
- St Paul
- Sacred Heart
Back to top Go down
View user profile
McCoach

PostSubject: Re: 2012-13 Top Teams   Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:40 pm

Lisgar Juniors Upset St Pats?? What happened there?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Coach McLean

PostSubject: Re: 2012-13 Top Teams   Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:49 pm

Lisgar boys played a solid game. They came out strong and were not going to let St Pats get any momentum. Lisgar was leading at the beginning of the 1st quarter. The 2nd and Third quarters Lisgar did not let themselves get outplayed, however could not find the shooting percentage they needed to keep the lead. Going into the 4th quarter Lisgar was down 10, and decided that they weren't going to give up in their own house. Fought back and in the last 4 minutes held St Pats to 4 points.

Lisgar was missing their starting point and shooting guards. Although St Pats was missing their top player.

If Lisgar can keep playing with this work ethic, it will be tough to beat these boys.

I look forward to see what the season holds!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 2012-13 Top Teams   Today at 3:48 am

Back to top Go down

2012-13 Top Teams
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1