HoopLife Forums

The opportunity to talk about issues affecting Canadian basketball from coast-to-coast

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Senior Boys Basketball

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
coachlarryK

PostSubject: Senior Boys Basketball   Sat Nov 10, 2012 5:11 pm

This year should be jam packed, with many impressive juniors playing at the senior level such as Edward Ekiyor,Jacques Lukusa,Ameer-Al-badry,Nathaniel Mekbib,Caleb Cakpo,Hanad Hashi, Brendan Stoqua,Mike Miller,Gisa Kayijahme, Glenn Thelemaque and Corey Johnson. Expect them to shine this year!

Potential Powerhouses include: St.pats, Louis Riel, Earl Of March, Life Christian Academy and Immaculata

Underestimated teams include: Mother theresa. St.Fx. St.Joes,St.Petes and Glebe

I am really excited to see how this plays out
Back to top Go down
View user profile
coachc

PostSubject: Re: Senior Boys Basketball   Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:40 am

Not a bad list, but you should remove St. Petes. No disrespect meant, it is that they are playing tier two this year (not ofsaa nor tier one), so I cant see them being in the conversation here. There are likely some teams not on your list who could also surprise, but time will tell. My preseason top five looks something like this (leaving SRB out of the conversation of course!).

1. St. Pats - how will they do without Marial? Return pretty much everyone else though so go as #1 for now.
2. Louis Riel - return the twin towers (Michael and Richer) and add some solid guards from junior
3. Glebe - pretty much everyone is back from last year and they gave teams fits last year. Do not sleep on them!
4. Immaculata - with their tens moving up, they become contenders right away. What is their depth like?
5. St. FX - very athletic and with a solid core of juniors moving up, they will be in the mix for sure.

Honourable mentions: Earl, Life Christian, St. Joes, Mother Teresa, and West Carleton
Back to top Go down
View user profile
inthehouse

PostSubject: Re: Senior Boys Basketball   Mon Nov 12, 2012 1:18 pm

coachc wrote:
Not a bad list, but you should remove St. Petes. No disrespect meant, it is that they are playing tier two this year (not ofsaa nor tier one), so I cant see them being in the conversation here. There are likely some teams not on your list who could also surprise, but time will tell. My preseason top five looks something like this (leaving SRB out of the conversation of course!).

1. St. Pats - how will they do without Marial? Return pretty much everyone else though so go as #1 for now.
2. Louis Riel - return the twin towers (Michael and Richer) and add some solid guards from junior
3. Glebe - pretty much everyone is back from last year and they gave teams fits last year. Do not sleep on them!
4. Immaculata - with their tens moving up, they become contenders right away. What is their depth like?
5. St. FX - very athletic and with a solid core of juniors moving up, they will be in the mix for sure.

Honourable mentions: Earl, Life Christian, St. Joes, Mother Teresa, and West Carleton

Coach,

Very good list, coaching Guardsmen as well I definitely get to see some of the best players in the region. We're (SH) going to get to see first hand some of the top teams in the St. Pat's tournament. Like in most years top teams will be interchangable as the year plays out. Some of the top teams as you note are in the A/AA category and it will once again be tough to rank because we don't play an interlocking schedule. If we use players playing club as a gauge all the teams you note have several playing at different levels. I think St. Pius X will also be a sleeper in the top 10 - I like both Nick Jordan and Igor Ruzindana but depth will be an issue. I think Glebe is definitely a top team with the talent and Alex O on the sidelines. Should be another competitive year good luck to all!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
coachlarryK

PostSubject: Re: Senior Boys Basketball   Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:52 pm

Very good observation coaches. SRB will not be the same as they were in previous years but lookout for ismael kaba, hes a threat in the paint. Glebe is a huge underdog team this year. They got size and skills to do well this year and they will be lead by senior center Josh Millar. Lastly St.Petes lost Daniel Nwosu who was hands down their best player but they have some good returning players and they will do fairly well in their tough division. Also watchout for West Carleton,St.Joes,Mother Theresa and Life Christian Academy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BJH

PostSubject: Re: Senior Boys Basketball   Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:21 pm

coachc wrote:

Glad to see West Carleton back in after initially announcing they wouldn't field any sports teams. Corey Johnson is one of the city's elite talents and with long-time city coach/referee Steve Ashfield coaching, they will be dangerous.

St. Pat's lost quite a bit other than Marial: Jany Ondongo, Alex Nasrallah, Ernest Tolete, Cliff Lerebours, Jordy Kabuya, and Wil Konybai (ineligible last year) moved back to Calgary. Do they have any size (someone over 6'1")? Might be the quickest and most exciting team to watch.

Once again, Life Christian have a whole bunch of international kids that transferred in.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.hoopstarscanada.com
inthehouse

PostSubject: Re: Senior Boys Basketball   Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:46 pm

coachlarryK wrote:
Very good observation coaches. SRB will not be the same as they were in previous years but lookout for ismael kaba, hes a threat in the paint. Glebe is a huge underdog team this year. They got size and skills to do well this year and they will be lead by senior center Josh Millar. Lastly St.Petes lost Daniel Nwosu who was hands down their best player but they have some good returning players and they will do fairly well in their tough division. Also watchout for West Carleton,St.Joes,Mother Theresa and Life Christian Academy

Coach LarryK, I'm not sure about St. Petes they lost one of the best backcourts in Daniel and Mike Z and their actually playing Tier 2 this year. I also noticed that both Ashley and Mario are not coaching so that's another huge loss. All the other good teams have been acknowledged and unfortunately heard Eddie Ekiyor suffered a broken ankle on the week-end which is a big loss for MT.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
baller29

PostSubject: Re: Senior Boys Basketball   Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:26 pm

Is Immaculata playing in AAA/AAAA this year or AA? They would do well in the AAA/AAAA field.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
coachc

PostSubject: Re: Senior Boys Basketball   Sun Nov 18, 2012 8:40 pm

Immaculata is AA this year as is Life Christian, St. FX, St. Joes, SRB, Merivale, and St. Matts all of whom will be tough competition this year.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
McCoach

PostSubject: Re: Senior Boys Basketball   Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:57 am

Here are the OFSAA division teams

AAA/AAAA:
All Saints
Earl of March
Glebe
Lisgar
Louis Riel
Mother Teresa
Sacred Heart
St Patrick
West Carleton

A/AA:
WEST:
Deslaurier (A)
John McCrae
Merivale
SRB
St FX
St Joes
St Pauls
St Pius

EAST:
Ashbury (A)
De La Salle
Gloucester
Immaculata
Lester B Pearson
Life Christian
St Matts
Back to top Go down
View user profile
St.JCoach

PostSubject: Re: Senior Boys Basketball   Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:09 pm

what division is OIS in?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Coach McLean

PostSubject: Re: Senior Boys Basketball   Wed Nov 21, 2012 1:02 pm

It appears as they haven't registered a team with NCSSAA this! Not in any of the Tier's schedules. Anybody know whats happening there?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
baller29

PostSubject: Re: Senior Boys Basketball   Thu Nov 22, 2012 12:13 am

I know that for the past 2 years its been the same core of players on the team and most of them graduated last june. They are relatively small school so they may not have enough students to participate maybe.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CoachUnited4

PostSubject: Re: Senior Boys Basketball   Thu Nov 22, 2012 7:20 am

It was not a matter of numbers and students playing, it was a miss-communication that occurred which caused us to not be registered in the league. We are working on having this fixed and would appreciate some support because we do have a full roster and excited students who are eager to play.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
St.JCoach

PostSubject: Re: Senior Boys Basketball   Thu Nov 22, 2012 11:27 pm

what are the top teams in tier 1?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Coach McLean

PostSubject: Re: Senior Boys Basketball   Fri Nov 23, 2012 12:36 pm

CoachUnited4, I hope you are able to get this sorted. I would be terrible to see you guys lose a season at the school!
Best of luck!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
coachc

PostSubject: Re: Senior Boys Basketball   Sun Nov 25, 2012 8:25 pm

With two tournaments quickly completed already, we have to see St. Pats being the clear favourite heading into league play. Louis Riel won the opening tournament and got beat pretty handily by St. Pats today (88-52) at the St. Pats tournament final. Thus, until we get a few more games under our belt, I think I will leave my preseason top 5 as stated earlier. Some teams to watch for as well will be Lester B Pearson and St. Pius. Pearson beat Life Christian Academy and Pius in the St. Pats tournament. They have a nice balanced team that uses their post well and he has some nice moves inside. Sacred Heart also took Life Christian to overtime, but there other two matchups were very tough with Immaculata first then St. Pats. They are young and will undoubtedly improve as the season progresses.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Coach McLean

PostSubject: Re: Senior Boys Basketball   Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:54 pm

In Lisgar's first season playing in the Ofsaa division they are very quickly learning how to compete with the best. Started well against Louis Riel and last night they fought hard against Glebe and only lost by 12. They are quickly learning the ropes, and could find themselves causing trouble and creating an interesting upset as the season goes on. Great building year for the Lisgar Program!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
baller29

PostSubject: Re: Senior Boys Basketball   Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:08 am

Is there going to be any games played at scotiabank place this year like some of the previous years.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Senior Boys Basketball   Today at 5:11 am

Back to top Go down

Senior Boys Basketball
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1