HoopLife Forums

The opportunity to talk about issues affecting Canadian basketball from coast-to-coast

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

All BC Rankings - JR, A, AA & AAA

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
MagicMan

PostSubject: Re: All BC Rankings - JR, A, AA & AAA   Sun Dec 16, 2012 6:09 pm

From what I have seen so far this season, the true Cinderella team is WRCA. This is an A level school playing AAA ball at the top level. Based on school size, they should be playing A level ball. I think they have 8 guys on the entire team, 1 of who is in Grade 11. Their team reminds me of the movie Hoosiers, especially when they play against the larger schools. Classic David vs Goliath. I never read about any of the WRCA players but they always seem to be ranked in the top 4 of AAA (despite having a school size of less than 100 in high school).
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: All BC Rankings - JR, A, AA & AAA   Sun Dec 16, 2012 6:24 pm

mikeyb wrote:
It also helped they could go 5 deep in a provincial game when most teams went 2-3 deep.
I endorse this statement. Fox and Mouat are two teams that develop the bench to the last player.

Last edited by edward on Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:35 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
DickVitale2013

PostSubject: Re: All BC Rankings - JR, A, AA & AAA   Sun Dec 16, 2012 11:28 pm

Are you kidding me, WRCA a Cinderella story! They've had one of the premier programs for over a decade. Somehow some of the best players have ended up there from other schools. If they're fielding a team of 8 players then it's a reflection that their program is declining. It has nothing to do with school size or how many players. A true Cinderella would be if a non-traditional power won it like Sardis. It's great to see some new teams arising instead of the traditional Goliaths.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Geddy

PostSubject: Re: All BC Rankings - JR, A, AA & AAA   Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:19 am

For anyone not in the loop, this will be the last year for WRCA to be part of the top basketball scene in BC at the AAA level. Sad. They do not have a Grade 8 team and the Junior team is very, very bad. The program has been in steady decline for the last 4 years. Over that period of time, more kids actually left the program (and the school) than kids who came to the school (zero). Most Sr. teams in BC have Grade 10's, Grade 11's and Grade 12's..........wrca only has 8 grade 12's and 1 grade 11. Once this group of Grade 12's graduate, the basketball program at wrca will effectively come to a close. Agree with MM, this is a cinderella team as they have only 8 guys where the big schools are loaded from 1-12.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sportvictoria

PostSubject: Re: All BC Rankings - JR, A, AA & AAA   Mon Dec 17, 2012 2:51 am

Sportvictoria wrote:
Comprehensive list of all BC rankings, updated with new info as it comes in.

http://sportvictoria.com/basketball/aaaboys/rankings.htm

Note - Sportvictoria will continue to produce a BC AA ranking on Sundays that go up to and includes the weekend games. Sportvictoria will do the official BCHSBBA rankings, which BCHSBBA will release on Wednesday evenings and hope to included as many Tuesday results as possible.

December 16, 2012
Poll # 4
Sportvictoria has released the new Vancouver Island "AA" and "AAA" Top 10 and the Sportvictoria BC "AA" Top 15.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://Sportvictoria.com
DickVitale2013

PostSubject: Re: All BC Rankings - JR, A, AA & AAA   Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:56 am

Wow, didn't know that the WRCA's program was in such disarray. It will be sad to see them go as they've been part of the basketball landscape for a long time and have produced a top program and have had great support. Hopefully, someone fills the void and builds basketball players in that area. The game has to continue to grow. I beg to differ with you on the Cinderella story though. Every team will go to 8-9 players down the stretch, so the arguement of having 1-12 players is invalid. Matter of fact, WRCA is in great position, because as you've stated they have 8 grade 12s to count on. That's a lot of experience. If you look at many of the upper echelon teams they count on some underclassmen for their success. The demise of WR's program maybe a good motivation for them, but don't confuse this with the definition of a Cinderella story. Last time I check WR was ranked 3rd in the Province. The definition of Cinderella is a David-Goliath situation; a team who wins that is totally unexpected or defies all odds; Villanova-Georgetown; NC State-Houston. I'll use Sardis as an example. They are a good team, but does anyone expect them to be the AAA champion in March. If they are then they'll be a Cinderella story.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
vancouverbasketball

PostSubject: Re: All BC Rankings - JR, A, AA & AAA   Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:59 pm

I think its really hard to say who will win provincials or who is the best team in the province right now because the season is so young. Kits has looked like the best team so far with everyone being able to score. A big blow to Churchill as i hear that nathan is out for a long time with a bad ankle. Looks like kits will be the team to beat out of vancouver and in the province. I also like WRCA as they won grade 10 provincials. But injuries are really hurting teams, id like to see a healthy play kits and see where they match up. Just some of my opinions
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sim

PostSubject: Re: All BC Rankings - JR, A, AA & AAA   Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:31 am

New rankings come out tomorrow. There's Kits and the Valley 4(Tamanawis, WG, WRCA & Yale).

Does anybody know which ranked teams Yale has beaten and lost to??

And how many spots does the Mainland and Valley get to Provincials??

Mainland has St.G's, VC, Churchill and Bby South playing for spots.

Valley has Enver, Sardis, Tweedsmuir & Mouat vying for spots.

It's going to get interesting come January when teams have recovered from injuries and got their football guys on track and systems in place.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
vancouverbasketball

PostSubject: Re: All BC Rankings - JR, A, AA & AAA   Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:35 am

yale has lost to kits for sure. Thats all i know of
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sportvictoria

PostSubject: Re: All BC Rankings - JR, A, AA & AAA   Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:45 am

Sim wrote:
New rankings come out tomorrow. There's Kits and the Valley 4(Tamanawis, WG, WRCA & Yale).

Does anybody know which ranked teams Yale has beaten and lost to??

And how many spots does the Mainland and Valley get to Provincials??

Mainland has St.G's, VC, Churchill and Bby South playing for spots.

Valley has Enver, Sardis, Tweedsmuir & Mouat vying for spots.

It's going to get interesting come January when teams have recovered from injuries and got their football guys on track and systems in place.

Island will probably lose a berth this year and end up with 2.
LM will probably get 5
FV will probably get 8.
HS - 1
OK - 1
K - 1
NC - 1
NW - 1

Sportvictoria
Back to top Go down
Sim

PostSubject: Re: All BC Rankings - JR, A, AA & AAA   Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:50 pm

New Rankings have 1.Kits, 2.Yale, 3.Grove, 4.WRCA and 5.Tamanawis.

Kits, Enver & Claremont are still unbeaten.

I didn't know Tamanawis had lost to New West.

The top 17 Howard has ranked would fill all the current spots for FV, LM, VI, HS, OK.

Bby South tourney should be good this week with Yale, Tamanawis & Churchill.

Mouat tourney will have Enver & Tweedsmuir.

Oak Bay tourney will have VC & Claremont.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
vancity55555

PostSubject: Re: All BC Rankings - JR, A, AA & AAA   Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:48 am

Shouldnt tammy be ahead of WRCA since they just beat em on their own court? But anyways the burnaby tournament should clear things up as there are alot of elite teams. Should be good
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Islandview2

PostSubject: Oak Bay tournament   Thu Dec 20, 2012 1:32 am

Sim wrote:
New Rankings have 1.Kits, 2.Yale, 3.Grove, 4.WRCA and 5.Tamanawis.

Kits, Enver & Claremont are still unbeaten.

I didn't know Tamanawis had lost to New West.

The top 17 Howard has ranked would fill all the current spots for FV, LM, VI, HS, OK.

Bby South tourney should be good this week with Yale, Tamanawis & Churchill.

Mouat tourney will have Enver & Tweedsmuir.

Oak Bay tourney will have VC & Claremont.

Claremont isn't in the Oak Bay tournament. Teams are Oak Bay, SMUS, Lambrick Park, Belmont, Vancouver College, Cowichan, Saskatoon Aden Bowman and Regina Campbell.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
vancouverbasketball

PostSubject: Re: All BC Rankings - JR, A, AA & AAA   Thu Dec 20, 2012 2:19 am

claremont is in the burnaby south tournament and play churchill first
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sportvictoria

PostSubject: Re: All BC Rankings - JR, A, AA & AAA   Thu Dec 20, 2012 3:36 am

Sportvictoria wrote:

Note - Sportvictoria will continue to produce a BC AA ranking on Sundays that go up to and includes the weekend games. Sportvictoria will do the official BCHSBBA rankings, which BCHSBBA will release on Wednesday evenings and hope to included as many Tuesday results as possible.

Poll # 4
December 19, 2012

New rankings are out for "A", "AA" & "AAA".

Full season listing is also updated.

Back to top Go down
Sportvictoria

PostSubject: Re: All BC Rankings - JR, A, AA & AAA   Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:14 pm

New rankings are out for January 16, 2013.
Back to top Go down
Sportvictoria

PostSubject: Re: All BC Rankings - JR, A, AA & AAA   Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:45 pm

Sportvictoria wrote:

Poll # 8
January 20, 2013
New Vancovuer Island "AA" & "AAA" Top 10 rankings as well as the Sportvictoria BC Top 15 have just been released.
Back to top Go down
MagicMan

PostSubject: Re: All BC Rankings - JR, A, AA & AAA   Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:20 pm

I still think, and I know there is a lot of support for this, that it looks bad on Howard and BC High school Balll to have Yale at #1 in BC right now. I am not sure how they went from #6 in Pre-season polls taken after last season to #2 in the pre-season poll taken at the end of November just before the start of the season. All top teams work hard during the off-season, and I don't think they had any new players coming in. As well, they did not finish top 10- last year with more or less the same group of players. So, a move from #6 in the polls to #2 was a little ambitious.

I am not trashing Yale, as I know they have a good team. I am questioning the ranking system that moved them up so high without playing any other top 10 teams. The only reason they are #1 right now is because they moved to #2 in pre-season poll (behind Walnut Grove) from #6 last year (Walnut Grove was number 1 in this poll as well) before even playing any games this year. They will not be playing any TOP 10 teams this year (outside of Tammy and Kits) until FV's so there schedule has been very weak.

A bit of a black eye on H/S BC basketball for ranking them as such. Yale may very well win Provincials as they may indeed be that good, for sure a Top 5 or 6 team. But to get a high ranking, I think quality of schedule has to be a factor and Kits, Tammy, WG and WRCA has certainly had a tougher schedule that deserves recognition.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
stocktonsshorts

PostSubject: Re: All BC Rankings - JR, A, AA & AAA   Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:39 pm

MagicMan wrote:
I still think, and I know there is a lot of support for this, that it looks bad on Howard and BC High school Balll to have Yale at #1 in BC right now. I am not sure how they went from #6 in Pre-season polls taken after last season to #2 in the pre-season poll taken at the end of November just before the start of the season. All top teams work hard during the off-season, and I don't think they had any new players coming in. As well, they did not finish top 10- last year with more or less the same group of players. So, a move from #6 in the polls to #2 was a little ambitious.

I am not trashing Yale, as I know they have a good team. I am questioning the ranking system that moved them up so high without playing any other top 10 teams. The only reason they are #1 right now is because they moved to #2 in pre-season poll (behind Walnut Grove) from #6 last year (Walnut Grove was number 1 in this poll as well) before even playing any games this year. They will not be playing any TOP 10 teams this year (outside of Tammy and Kits) until FV's so there schedule has been very weak.

A bit of a black eye on H/S BC basketball for ranking them as such. Yale may very well win Provincials as they may indeed be that good, for sure a Top 5 or 6 team. But to get a high ranking, I think quality of schedule has to be a factor and Kits, Tammy, WG and WRCA has certainly had a tougher schedule that deserves recognition.

MagicMan I think that you are overly sensitive to what the rankings are. They are a "subjective" evaluation of where teams rank at the moment. They don't count for anything, don't qualify you for anything. If anything they are motivation for those teams not ranked to try and knock off those that are.

You talk about Howard and BC basketball getting a black eye like they have committed a crime or done something inapropriate. It's been said many times but I'll repeat : There is only 1 ranking that matters. Everything else is just for discussion and banter... don't ever take it personally Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MagicMan

PostSubject: Re: All BC Rankings - JR, A, AA & AAA   Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:52 pm

It is not a big deal. Not losing any sleep over the rankings.

BUT, don't be myopic as to what rankings mean. To be ranked #1 in a Province wide newspaper is public recognition that at that moment in time, a group of people think you are the best team in the province. It is something all the teams look out for, and all fans look at in BC high school basketball. Public recognition such as this is an important validation of effort and teamwork. Currently, according to these rankings, Yale possesses that level of excellence over all other teams. As well, many other teams are close and are being recognized right through to Honourable Mention. BUT, Yale is being recognized publically as the top team, at this moment in time, in BC high school basketball, as in, nobody is better.

You are right, there will be a champion once the post season "playoffs" begin, but the responsibility of recognizing excellence and rewarding teams through a publicly viewed ranking system in a high distribution newspaper should take into consideration all factors. Don't be naive about rankings not being important. Not only do they entertain us and engage us in dialogue, but they also recognize and reward.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
stocktonsshorts

PostSubject: Re: All BC Rankings - JR, A, AA & AAA   Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:09 am

MagicMan wrote:
It is not a big deal. Not losing any sleep over the rankings.

Cool. Glad we agree on that. I'm gonna sleep even better now knowing that you'll sleep well.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MagicMan

PostSubject: Re: All BC Rankings - JR, A, AA & AAA   Sat Jan 26, 2013 2:12 am

You are probably a very, very short person.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
charliebrown

PostSubject: Re: All BC Rankings - JR, A, AA & AAA   Sat Jan 26, 2013 2:53 am

I'm agreeing with Magicman. Without being disparaging to Yale they maybe good enough to win, but to be #1 ranked at this point of the season is flawed. It does imply they are the top team. Doesn't it not give them the best seed for the Fraser Valley playoffs? All top teams excluding Yale have had tough schedule. In doing so they've gone head to head and took losses as a result, which moved them down. Your schedule should be factored into the mix. If they get top seed then it's flawed. In the end the weakness of their schedule may prove to be their undoing. There is a reason why coaches play tough competition to prepare their team to win the big one.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
stocktonsshorts

PostSubject: Re: All BC Rankings - JR, A, AA & AAA   Sat Jan 26, 2013 3:46 am

MagicMan wrote:
You are probably a very, very short person.

Slightly above average in height but have a great sense of humour Very Happy

No name calling.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
WestcoastScouts

PostSubject: Re: All BC Rankings - JR, A, AA & AAA   Sun Jan 27, 2013 3:03 am

In my opinion, WRCA is the best team in the province for several reasons.

1. Tyus Allen is a great point guard who is the heart of the White Rock offense and does a good job of finding his teammates in their sweet spots. He is also a fearless attacker and is an outstanding finisher on the left side of the floor. When his perimeter shooting is on, he is in a special zone as he almost unstoppable. What really impressed me about him is his ability to take over games especially in the 4th quarter.

2. Vartan (number 17) is one of the best shooters in BC. His fundamentals and shooting mechanics is almost perfect. He also does a great job reading the defense and makes the correct decision. From time to time, I've seen him demonstrate great leadership skills and is accountable for the team's mistakes. His game has really impressed me and I'm looking forward to seeing him in the next level.

WRCA Offense: Even though Kits has beaten WRCA twice, I think its due to the fact that Luka is tough to guard as WRCA is undersized. However, WRCA has unbelievable ball movement and player movement. Everyone is on the same page and is constantly moving without the basketball. Great communication and leadership skills displayed by Vartan and Tyus has led to a 14 game winning streak and three major tournament wins. These wins have included over Tamanwis, and Grove twice. I think this team is only going to get better and can't wait to see them in the Frasers.

I haven't seen Yale play too much so I'm not going to say much about them. However I've seen Grove play numerous times and they are very close to the number one spot. Jadon is one of the best players in the province and can easily have a 25 or 30 plus point game on any given night. Their new big man who's name I believe is Josh, is an incredible defender and can also hit the outside jumper. He really gave Luka a tough time in the Grove vs Kits game as Grove pulled the big win. Paul is a solid forward who can rebound and can also hit the outside shot. The Asian guard is incredibly quick and can play aggressive defense on opponent ball handlers. Reminds me a lot of De'sean from last year's squad.

Kitslano is a solid team with a great point guard and an unstoppable big man with Luka. Justin , Kongbo, and Luka can really hurt you if you come unprepared and each are capable of having a 20 plus game.

Overall, A lot of great teams and this year's champion can be anyone. Its really hard to say who is the favorite as every team has great players. I am looking forward to this year's provincials as there will a lot of good games and individual match-ups.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: All BC Rankings - JR, A, AA & AAA   Today at 6:40 am

Back to top Go down

All BC Rankings - JR, A, AA & AAA
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next