HoopLife Forums

The opportunity to talk about issues affecting Canadian basketball from coast-to-coast

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

All BC Rankings - JR, A, AA & AAA

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Sportvictoria

PostSubject: Re: All BC Rankings - JR, A, AA & AAA   Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:35 pm

Sportvictoria wrote:
Comprehensive list of all BC rankings, updated with new info as it comes in.

http://sportvictoria.com/basketball/aaaboys/rankings.htm

Note - Sportvictoria will continue to produce a BC AA ranking on Sundays that go up to and includes the weekend games. Sportvictoria will do the official BCHSBBA rankings, which BCHSBBA will release on Wednesday evenings and hope to included as many Tuesday results as possible.

Poll # 9 - January 27, 2013
New rankings for Vancouver Island "AA" & "AAA" as well as the Sportvictoria.com BC "AA" Top 15 (we have a new # 1) have just been released.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://Sportvictoria.com
JesusShuttlesworth

PostSubject: Re: All BC Rankings - JR, A, AA & AAA   Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:50 am

Sportvictoria wrote:

Poll # 9 - January 27, 2013
New rankings for Vancouver Island "AA" & "AAA" as well as the Sportvictoria.com BC "AA" Top 15 (we have a new # 1) have just been released.

With a new AA #1, both the #1 AAA Yale, and #1 AA Holy Cross teams are both respectively being led by grade 10 guards Jauquin Bennett-Boire and Taylor Browne (who also both started on there Sr. squads as 9th graders) who are dominating at the senior level this year.
Last year saw another 10th grader in Jadon Cohee lead Grove to within a minute of a Provincial Championship, year after year it seems to be becoming a real young mans game, good to see talented youngsters playing high level BC Sr. boys basketball.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sportvictoria

PostSubject: Re: All BC Rankings - JR, A, AA & AAA   Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:54 am

Sportvictoria wrote:

Note - Sportvictoria will continue to produce a BC AA ranking on Sundays that go up to and includes the weekend games. Sportvictoria will do the official BCHSBBA rankings, which BCHSBBA will release on Wednesday evenings and hope to included as many Tuesday results as possible.

February 2, 2013

Sportvictoria BC "AA" Top 15 - Poll #10 - has been released, most activity/movement this year.

Sportvictoria Vancouver Island "AA" & "AAA" Top - Poll #10 - has been released
Back to top Go down
Mark Scott

PostSubject: Saints   Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:19 pm

This Tuesday #10 St. George's plays #2 WRCA at Saints. WRCA beat Saints by 3 at WRCA in the first game of the season. It will be interesting to see how they matchup as we head to the post-season. On Friday Saints has another home game against #6 Oak Bay.

This is clearly an important stretch for St. George's and should give a good indication whether they will contend with the teams in the upper half of the rankings.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
basketballfan1

PostSubject: Re: All BC Rankings - JR, A, AA & AAA   Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:21 pm

Mark Scott wrote:

This Tuesday #10 St. George's plays #2 WRCA at Saints. WRCA beat Saints by 3 at WRCA in the first game of the season. It will be interesting to see how they matchup as we head to the post-season. On Friday Saints has another home game against #6 Oak Bay.

This is clearly an important stretch for St. George's and should give a good indication whether they will contend with the teams in the upper half of the rankings.

St Georges and postseason? Aren't we getting ahead of ourselves? Won't they have to beat VC twice to even make the Lowermainlands?

Can someone please explain what the process will be for this years Lowermainlands? Specifically, will St Georges and VC both get in or will only one team make it?

Thanks.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mark Scott

PostSubject: Re: All BC Rankings - JR, A, AA & AAA   Mon Feb 04, 2013 4:18 pm

basketballfan1 wrote:
Mark Scott wrote:

St Georges and postseason? Aren't we getting ahead of ourselves? Won't they have to beat VC twice to even make the Lowermainlands?

Can someone please explain what the process will be for this years Lowermainlands? Specifically, will St Georges and VC both get in or will only one team make it?

Thanks.

I did not mean to assume St. George's was heading to the post-season, but I see how you could read it that way. I was using the word "we" for the basketball community as a whole, as it heads to the post-season. I was trying to be inclusive. Sorry to rankle.

St. George's does have to beat VC twice in order to make it to the provincials. Since there is no regular season for St. George's (they have no league), the series with VC is in an odd way both league play and part of the post-season. I do not know about the process for this year's lower mainland playoffs.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
basketballfan1

PostSubject: Re: All BC Rankings - JR, A, AA & AAA   Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:09 pm

Sorry didnt mean for it to come across the way it did. I just wasn't sure if both Independants were going to be eligible for the LM's either through a voting or appeal process. Good luck the rest of the way and keep us posted if you hear anything.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JLivingston

PostSubject: Re: All BC Rankings - JR, A, AA & AAA   Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:28 pm

Mark Scott wrote:

You have to contain either one of the Wrca guards - Tyus or Vartan. If both unchecked, then massacre ( in lighter vein) waiting to happen.

I think you will handle Oak easily.

Goodluck.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mark Scott

PostSubject: Re: All BC Rankings - JR, A, AA & AAA   Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:33 pm

JLivingston wrote:
Mark Scott wrote:

You have to contain either one of the Wrca guards - Tyus or Vartan. If both unchecked, then massacre ( in lighter vein) waiting to happen.

Goodluck.

Thanks. I saw the first Saints/WRCA game and was impressed with Tyus. He is exceptionally skilled and fun to watch. I have to hope he is not as entertaining Tuesday.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
JesusShuttlesworth

PostSubject: Re: All BC Rankings - JR, A, AA & AAA   Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:49 pm

JLivingston wrote:
Mark Scott wrote:

Goodluck.

Agreed, Saints will be in tough against WRCA who I believe is the #1 team in the Province, but from what I've seen from Oak Bay and Saints respectively, Saints should have there way with the Victoria squad.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sportvictoria

PostSubject: LM Playoffs   Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:26 pm

It's my understanding that the LM playoffs will be a 12-team event.

The Independent league gets one berth into the LM playoffs.

From there - 5 teams qualify for the BC's.
Back to top Go down
JesusShuttlesworth

PostSubject: Re: All BC Rankings - JR, A, AA & AAA   Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:06 am

Mark Scott wrote:

St. George's with what I think is a Big Upset, wins over #2 WRCA, 99-90, Drew Urquhart with 29 and Deklun Chung added 27 for the George's squad, avenging their heart breaking 1-point OT loss in last years Provincials.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JLivingston

PostSubject: Re: All BC Rankings - JR, A, AA & AAA   Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:03 pm

JesusShuttlesworth wrote:
Mark Scott wrote:

St. George's with what I think is a Big Upset, wins over #2 WRCA, 99-90, Drew Urquhart with 29 and Deklun Chung added 27 for the George's squad, avenging their heart breaking 1-point OT loss in last years Provincials.

Can someone give a recap of what happened?

Last edited by JLivingston on Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MagicMan

PostSubject: Re: All BC Rankings - JR, A, AA & AAA   Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:30 pm

I was not at the game, but spoke to a friend early today. St. George's and White Rock played a fast paced game. Early in the 2nd quarter, White Rock was up by around 17 and clearly on a role. At half time, White Rock was only up by 5, but had 3 starters on the bench for the last 5 minutes of the 1st half with 3 fouls each. Foul trouble.

By the end of the third quarter, total team fouls called were 23 against White Rock, and 6 against St. George's. White Rock entered the fourth quarter with 5 starters playing with 4 fouls each, and their 6th man had 3. Three of them eventually fouled out. A very lop-sided affair re fouls where the reffing definetly impacted the game. St. George's was on the line all night long. In the fourth quarter, White Rock had to let guys penetrate because any attempt to play defense and the whistle blew, foul. Yet, when White Rock attacked the rim and plenty of contact......no fouls called. 23 - 6 ...........I don't believe I have seen that before.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Pooch

PostSubject: interesting take   Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:12 pm

You also had one team pounding the ball inside while the other shot threes all night.
White Rock had a ton of trouble defending inside and were very physical in trying to stop Saints' inside game. They got called for it and two of the top officials were on duty. It can actually happen that one team does foul a whole lot more than another and the game appeared to be well officiated.
Had Saints hit some free throws at the end when WRCA were fouling to try to get back into it, they could easily have won by 15+.
WRCA hit 11 of their first 13 3's, shooting well all night and the only starter to miss significant time was Tyus Allen who got his fifth when they were well behind. They are a very well coached team and extremely difficult to guard when shooting like they did.
Vartan played very well, scoring 35 I believe.
It was an excellent game and it appeared to me that Saints proved they are rounding into form and will be trouble for anyone.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Geddy

PostSubject: Re: All BC Rankings - JR, A, AA & AAA   Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:13 pm

The reffing was great if you are a st. George's fan. Brutal if you are a wrca fan. I think WRCA has played close to 30 games and have played all of the top teams multiple times. They have never had as many fouls all year as were called last night. Saints are good, but so are all of the other teams wrca has played. There is just no consistency in calling a game. I think wrca had 3 or 4 offensive fouls called when they attacked the hoop. With all the fouls being called, you can't play defense hard, and you can't attack as the consistency begins to get into kids heads. Having your top 6 in foul trouble with 23 after 3 quarters tells the story. Please refs.....just let them play ball. It should not be about the reffing Hope these teams get to play again.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Pooch

PostSubject: Re: All BC Rankings - JR, A, AA & AAA   Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:05 pm

WR are a great team and worthy of probably being number one. I don't question that at all.
I also think, however that they clutch and grab more than most other teams in order to compete with bigger teams. Last night it got called and Saints attacking inside made that more likely. Both teams got away with a few calls that seemed obvious from the stands but I saw no bias at all.
In the four games I have seen them play they always get a lot of charging calls. Last night was no different.
Anyway, it was great entertainment.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
charliebrown

PostSubject: Re: All BC Rankings - JR, A, AA & AAA   Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:42 pm

Bottom line is that all good times get beat, it's a matter of when that is critical. Can't blame it on the reffing. I've heard it so many different ways whether that was a holding call in the Superbowl, even from the so called experts. Bottom line is that Baltimore is the champion and the Saints were the better team on this night. I've seen WRCA get into foul trouble before and their aggressive, hard nosed style is going to get them into foul trouble on any given night depending on the officiating crew. Players, coaches and fans have to be prepared for any questionable calls as it forms part of the game and there is no consistency amongst the refs. Seems like neither team was interested in playing defense anyways. What's apparent is WRCA's lack of depth and unwillingness to sub when players are in foul trouble and are the Saints rounding into form down the stretch?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lefon Jang

PostSubject: Saints vs WRCA   Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:19 pm

Three key momentum swings that went Saints way:

1) Ethan Scott came in to replace James Choi (who had trouble guarding Vardan the entire night). He was aggressive in attacking the paint and drawing fouls, and making outside shots. He provided the much needed sparks when Saints was down by 13. Saints pulled within 5. He sprained his ankle near the end of fourth.

2) Tyus Allen sat after 4th foul. WRCA seemed to lost their composure without him with Vartan playing the point. WRCA picked up their game when he returned.

3) Tyus Allen fouled out in the fourth quarter. End of WRCA.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sportvictoria

PostSubject: Re: All BC Rankings - JR, A, AA & AAA   Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:48 am

Sportvictoria wrote:

New BCHSBBA rankings are out for February 6, 2013
Back to top Go down
JLivingston

PostSubject: Re: All BC Rankings - JR, A, AA & AAA   Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:35 pm

charliebrown wrote:
I'm agreeing with Magicman. Without being disparaging to Yale they maybe good enough to win, but to be #1 ranked at this point of the season is flawed. It does imply they are the top team. Doesn't it not give them the best seed for the Fraser Valley playoffs? All top teams excluding Yale have had tough schedule. In doing so they've gone head to head and took losses as a result, which moved them down. Your schedule should be factored into the mix. If they get top seed then it's flawed. In the end the weakness of their schedule may prove to be their undoing. There is a reason why coaches play tough competition to prepare their team to win the big one.

If by playing tough schedule and losing one game on the road before play off starts, is going to drop from 2 to spot 4, then SO BE IT. Wrca is better off dropping to 4 with all the experience than Yale who is clinging to 1 for technical reasons by playing softies.

What is preposterous is taking Kelowna to 6th spot higher than Saints and Kits is bit over stretching. Also not fair to Pitt after they beat Churchill and VC recently. Glad to see Fox is rewarded for their strong showing lately.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BCballer2011

PostSubject: Pitt   Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:11 pm

Pitt getting no love in the rankings......and they didn't just beat van college and Churchill, they smoked them both, by 20 at least.....that aside, I think everyone should be looking at who has played who, not just the win/lose....much has been said about Yales weak opponents.....spanking a weak team will not prepare u for the Fraser valleys, which given the teams in there, should be amazing ball....my last comment on rankings - just remember what happened to the 1/2 ranked teams last year....you need to be injury free, playing hot and together in order to get deep in the playoffs - having no experience of trying to claw back from a 25 point halftime deficit will bite u at some point....
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sportvictoria

PostSubject: Re: All BC Rankings - JR, A, AA & AAA   Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:51 pm

BCballer2011 wrote:
Pitt getting no love in the rankings......and they didn't just beat van college and Churchill, they smoked them both, by 20 at least.....that aside, I think everyone should be looking at who has played who, not just the win/lose....much has been said about Yales weak opponents.....spanking a weak team will not prepare u for the Fraser valleys, which given the teams in there, should be amazing ball....my last comment on rankings - just remember what happened to the 1/2 ranked teams last year....you need to be injury free, playing hot and together in order to get deep in the playoffs - having no experience of trying to claw back from a 25 point halftime deficit will bite u at some point....

Keep in mind rankings are a WEEKLY thing. Once a result is accounted for in a ranking, it's carries very little weight after that. What you did two or three weeks ago (or further) will have little effect to a current ranking. Weekly rankings are very much 'what have you done for me lately'.

Lyle Dhur
Sportvictoria
Back to top Go down
Lefon Jang

PostSubject: Re: All BC Rankings - JR, A, AA & AAA   Sun Feb 10, 2013 2:41 am

St. George's with what I think is a Big Upset, wins over #2 WRCA, 99-90........

Well, Saints beat Oak Bay tonight. Still think it's a Big Upset?
WE BELIEVE
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lefon Jang

PostSubject: Re: All BC Rankings - JR, A, AA & AAA   Sun Feb 10, 2013 2:48 am

Lefon Jang wrote:
St. George's with what I think is a Big Upset, wins over #2 WRCA, 99-90........

Well, Saints beat Oak Bay tonight. Still think it's a Big Upset?
WE BELIEVE
By the way, Oak Bay wasn't in foul trouble!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: All BC Rankings - JR, A, AA & AAA   Today at 7:18 am

Back to top Go down

All BC Rankings - JR, A, AA & AAA
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 3 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next