HoopLife Forums

The opportunity to talk about issues affecting Canadian basketball from coast-to-coast

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Harvey hosts Hartland Single "A" Men's Basketball Tuesday Nov 27.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage

PostSubject: Harvey hosts Hartland Single "A" Men's Basketball Tuesday Nov 27.   Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:05 pm

Just for fun, does anyone dare weight-in on this?

I will:

Harvey by 12.

Back to top Go down
baller20

PostSubject: Re: Harvey hosts Hartland Single "A" Men's Basketball Tuesday Nov 27.   Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:40 pm

Hartland in OT
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Nighthawk

PostSubject: Re: Harvey hosts Hartland Single "A" Men's Basketball Tuesday Nov 27.   Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:20 pm

Hartland by 5 82-75 somewhere in there.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BeeBall4Lifee

PostSubject: Re: Harvey hosts Hartland Single "A" Men's Basketball Tuesday Nov 27.   Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:15 pm

[quote="Nighthawk"]Hartland by 5 82-75 somewhere in there.[/quote

84-79 final for Harvey.......I am told it was a close match all the way
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Nighthawk

PostSubject: Re: Harvey hosts Hartland Single "A" Men's Basketball Tuesday Nov 27.   Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:24 pm

[quote="BeeBall4Lifee"]
Nighthawk wrote:
Hartland by 5 82-75 somewhere in there.[/quote

84-79 final for Harvey.......I am told it was a close match all the way

Where is a proline ticket when you need one!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
GM Breaker '84-'88

PostSubject: Re: Harvey hosts Hartland Single "A" Men's Basketball Tuesday Nov 27.   Thu Nov 29, 2012 4:01 pm

Well....based on that score...it seems as if Hartland should be ranked #1.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BeeBall4Lifee

PostSubject: Re: Harvey hosts Hartland Single "A" Men's Basketball Tuesday Nov 27.   Thu Nov 29, 2012 4:22 pm

GM Breaker '84-'88 wrote:

Seems that cold weather out west has froze your brain.........please fill us in on your mathematical / statistical model for this hypothesis lol
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Harvey hosts Hartland Single "A" Men's Basketball Tuesday Nov 27.   Thu Nov 29, 2012 6:46 pm

Have to agree Breaker #1 in the west.
Back to top Go down
GM Breaker '84-'88

PostSubject: Re: Harvey hosts Hartland Single "A" Men's Basketball Tuesday Nov 27.   Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:38 am

BeeBall4Lifee wrote:

Seems that cold weather out west has froze your brain.........please fill us in on your mathematical / statistical model for this hypothesis lol

Well, it is very simple. I am surprised that you value Harveys home court advantage as ZERO. Really? You think playing at home is worth ZERO points? In theory, home court advantage is usually worth 6-8 points, possibly more or less depending on the venue. If you think playing at home is the same as playing on the road...well...it's not. Harvey won by 5....Harveys home court is worth more than that; so, that would tell me that on a neutral court, Hartland would have an excellent chance to win the game...that doesn't mean Harvey can't win...of course they can.

Are you telling me that when sectionals come around that teams wouldn't want to host? Of course they do, why? because it is an advantage...usually, a big one. Why do you think teams 'throw' games?...because, instead of going to Harvey or GM, they can cross over and go play...elsewhere.

It surprises me that a Laker fan and a Breaker fan (boat captain) wouldn't think that home court advantage is worth anything.....those two venues probably have or had..two of the biggest home court advantages in the province.

I hope you can process the information....it's not rocket science. If Harvey beats Hartland @ Hartland or on a neutral court...no doubt they are #1....but, a five point win at home....meh...I'm not convinced...at least not yet.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BeeBall4Lifee

PostSubject: Re: Harvey hosts Hartland Single "A" Men's Basketball Tuesday Nov 27.   Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:36 am

BeeBall4Lifee wrote:

Well, it is very simple. I am surprised that you value Harveys home court advantage as ZERO. Really? You think playing at home is worth ZERO points? In theory, home court advantage is usually worth 6-8 points, possibly more or less depending on the venue. If you think playing at home is the same as playing on the road...well...it's not. Harvey won by 5....Harveys home court is worth more than that; so, that would tell me that on a neutral court, Hartland would have an excellent chance to win the game...that doesn't mean Harvey can't win...of course they can.

Are you telling me that when sectionals come around that teams wouldn't want to host? Of course they do, why? because it is an advantage...usually, a big one. Why do you think teams 'throw' games?...because, instead of going to Harvey or GM, they can cross over and go play...elsewhere.

It surprises me that a Laker fan and a Breaker fan (boat captain) wouldn't think that home court advantage is worth anything.....those two venues probably have or had..two of the biggest home court advantages in the province.

I hope you can process the information....it's not rocket science. If Harvey beats Hartland @ Hartland or on a neutral court...no doubt they are #1....but, a five point win at home....meh...I'm not convinced...at least not yet.

I understand your logic, as flawed as it is but considering you haven't seen a single game down here in a couple of decades I don't put much faith in it......based on that nobodys home wins should count ......

Last edited by BeeBall4Lifee on Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:36 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
observer

PostSubject: Re: Harvey hosts Hartland Single "A" Men's Basketball Tuesday Nov 27.   Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:35 am

According to experts in Las Vegas, who keep track of things like this for a living, home court advantage is worth about 2.5 points vs a neutral site in the NBA and about 3 points in college. Based solely on the final score from Harvey and on these numbers you would expect Hartland win by about 2-3 if they played in Hartland and for Harvey to squeek out a win on a neutral court.

Maybe some A basketball fan with too much time on their hands and a knowledge of advanced stats could do a study to determine homecourt advantage in rural NB communities. Until then it seems strange strange to rank Hartland number one based on a loss.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Harvey hosts Hartland Single "A" Men's Basketball Tuesday Nov 27.   Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:44 pm

I am not sure if Breaker was considering Hartland for Single "A" #1 spot however I am prepared to say that Hartland certainly deserves #1 in the West. They played a great game with Harvey and it looks like Devon Park is their closest contender and they lost to Harvey by a boat load.

Having said all that I sure can't wait to see what happens tonight when the Breakers visit the Lakers.

Let's do it again.

Breakers by 6!
Back to top Go down
BeeBall4Lifee

PostSubject: Re: Harvey hosts Hartland Single "A" Men's Basketball Tuesday Nov 27.   Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:13 pm

Looks like it should be a good game for sure ......but Harvey may be without their top player tonight so we will see.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
casualobserver

PostSubject: Re: Harvey hosts Hartland Single "A" Men's Basketball Tuesday Nov 27.   Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:37 pm

Grand Manan makes its claim for #1 with a 81-79 winner in Harvey tonight. Zach Pothier hits for 36, including the game winner with 2.1 seconds on the clock.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
celtic

PostSubject: HARVEY AT HARTLAND TONITE!!   Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:38 pm

Any predictions? I'm gonna say Harvey by 12
Back to top Go down
View user profile
39forever

PostSubject: Re: Harvey hosts Hartland Single "A" Men's Basketball Tuesday Nov 27.   Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:39 pm

Hartland by 4 over Harvey in Hartland, seems like Breaker84 may have known what he was talking about.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
observer

PostSubject: Re: Harvey hosts Hartland Single "A" Men's Basketball Tuesday Nov 27.   Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:53 am

I guess we can drop Harvey to 3rd in the rankings, based on losses to both Grand Manan and Hartland. Those teams two would have to be 1/2 in some order. A Hartland/Grand Manan game would be fun to watch wth the guard play that each team has.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
T-Ball

PostSubject: Grand Manan vs Hartland   Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:13 am

That will happen at 2:15 on January 4th at the Devon Park tournament. Incidentally, Caledonia is also in that division and will play both teams. Good chance to see if the "big three" (GM, Hartland & Harvey) really are that much ahead of the pack.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
celtic

PostSubject: Re: Harvey hosts Hartland Single "A" Men's Basketball Tuesday Nov 27.   Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:38 am

observer wrote:
I guess we can drop Harvey to 3rd in the rankings, based on losses to both Grand Manan and Hartland. Those teams two would have to be 1/2 in some order. A Hartland/Grand Manan game would be fun to watch wth the guard play that each team has.

To be honest at this point....I think it is almost impossible to rank the top 3....according to scores, they are just too close. After that, I think they drop off quite quickly. What is DP looking like this year?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ballin2012

PostSubject: Re: Harvey hosts Hartland Single "A" Men's Basketball Tuesday Nov 27.   Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:57 pm

i think it is a 3 team race, there isnt much after the top three, but what is up with rothesay beating hartland? did hartland have a bad game or is RHS that good?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
coach4

PostSubject: Re: Harvey hosts Hartland Single "A" Men's Basketball Tuesday Nov 27.   Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:41 pm

ballin2012 wrote:
i think it is a 3 team race, there isnt much after the top three, but what is up with rothesay beating hartland? did hartland have a bad game or is RHS that good?

Really?.... Rothesay is clearly a contender in AA, how is that a surprise that they beat Hartland. Rothesay is definately a top 10 team in NB period, hartland is not

Rothesay has wins over Simonds( who beat KV, who is supposedly the best team in NB), St Stephen( the favorite in AA), Saint John High, Woodstock, Sussex etc...

To give a frame of reference, according to the NBIAA site Oromocto beat GM by 15, OHS is losing to AAA schools by 100. Whether people are willing to admit it or not there is a gap between teams in A, AA, and obviosly AAA.... As there should be, there is just more athletes to choose from
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Metta Peace

PostSubject: Re: Harvey hosts Hartland Single "A" Men's Basketball Tuesday Nov 27.   Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:47 pm

Top 3, Top 5 or whatever means nothing just now. On any given day MCadam, Caledonia, Campobello or Devon Park can play quite easily with the others. Adjustsment, matchups...etc can make a pretender a contender very quickly. There may be others as well. February will tell the story. In the meantime "assume" as we all know what that means.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BeeBall4Lifee

PostSubject: Re: Harvey hosts Hartland Single "A" Men's Basketball Tuesday Nov 27.   Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:19 pm

coach4 wrote:
ballin2012 wrote:

Really?.... Rothesay is clearly a contender in AA, how is that a surprise that they beat Hartland. Rothesay is definately a top 10 team in NB period, hartland is not

Rothesay has wins over Simonds( who beat KV, who is supposedly the best team in NB), St Stephen( the favorite in AA), Saint John High, Woodstock, Sussex etc...

To give a frame of reference, according to the NBIAA site Oromocto beat GM by 15, OHS is losing to AAA schools by 100. Whether people are willing to admit it or not there is a gap between teams in A, AA, and obviosly AAA.... As there should be, there is just more athletes to choose from

How did Rothesay do against KV? ....and I thought they lost to St. Stephen? I'm sure Rothesay is a competitive team again this year like the usually are and I don't think it was a surprise they beat Hartland but maybe what the score was......not sure of any factors there.....anyway

Comparing scores of Oromocto vs GM is pretty meaningless to prop up your point that A ball is a lower class of ball considering that GM had played 3 games in a 24 hour period.......
Back to top Go down
View user profile
T-Ball

PostSubject: Re: Harvey hosts Hartland Single "A" Men's Basketball Tuesday Nov 27.   Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:23 am

Metta Peace wrote:
Top 3, Top 5 or whatever means nothing just now. On any given day MCadam, Caledonia, Campobello or Devon Park can play quite easily with the others. Adjustsment, matchups...etc can make a pretender a contender very quickly. There may be others as well. February will tell the story. In the meantime "assume" as we all know what that means.

Well said Metta Peace. The "Big Three" may well be a myth created more on the pages of Hoopslife than the ball courts of N.B.. Bring on the head to head matches!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
GM Breaker '84-'88

PostSubject: Re: Harvey hosts Hartland Single "A" Men's Basketball Tuesday Nov 27.   Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:40 am

coach4 wrote:
ballin2012 wrote:

I agree that the top 'A' teams can't compete with the top 'AAA' teams...but, to suggest that they can't compete at all with 'AAA' teams...because they are 'AAA' is incorrect. Since you picked one game from GM's schedule...I will too.

To give a frame of reference, according to the NBIAA site, GM defeated St.Macs by 10, who has defeated Simonds (who beat KV, who is supposedly the best team in NB). So, GM should be rated #1 in the province....lol. C'mon man...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Harvey hosts Hartland Single "A" Men's Basketball Tuesday Nov 27.   Today at 5:01 pm

Back to top Go down

Harvey hosts Hartland Single "A" Men's Basketball Tuesday Nov 27.
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next