HoopLife Forums

The opportunity to talk about issues affecting Canadian basketball from coast-to-coast

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Top JV Boys Basketball Squads

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Red Auerbach

PostSubject: Top JV Boys Basketball Squads   Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:25 am

Any thoughts on the best teams this years? Nice artiple in the TJ today about Simonds ending the FHS streak
Seabees laying a solid basketball foundation
Jamie Ross
For the Telegraph-Journal
28 Nov 2012 08:10AM.
Since ending the Fredericton High School Black Kats’ six-and-a-half year winning streak, the Simonds junior varsity boys Seabees have become unlikely heroes in the provincial basketball world.

The Seabees took down FHS in a pair of games en route to capturing the Kennebecasis Valley High School Junior Varsity Tip-off tournament earlier this month, ending the Kats’ remarkable 207-game winning streak.

“People from around the province – players, coaches, fans – they wanted FHS to lose that winning streak,” said Seabees head coach Wayne Vaughan, in his 13th season with the JV team at Simonds. “Every coach we’ve seen since – and we’ve played 10 games – they all congratulated us, they’re glad somebody finally did it.”

The win has thrust the Seabees into prominence in the provincial basketball community, and set the team out on the right foot for the 2012-13 season.

“The stands emptied,” he said of the team’s tournament win. “It was a big deal. We had all kinds of support from East Saint John, our girls and boys varsity basketball teams...it was a great community win.”

The Seabees were 9-1 through pre-season and regular season play heading into action Tuesday night, losing only to KVHS Crusaders in their most recent game.

Vaughan said JV basketball is building a name for itself as a competitive and important level of play in the development of future stars, and it’s gaining more exposure every year.

Leading his Seabees is team captain Brady Atkinson, a guard with leadership abilities that push the rest of the team to do better every day, said Vaughan.

“His desire is second to none,” he said. “He doesn’t let a minute go by in practice without making the sure the boys are working hard.”

Atkinson, a Grade 10 student, said the attention the team has received since their win over FHS has been a pleasant surprise, but he’s not satisfied the team has reached its potential yet.

“It didn’t matter to us that they hadn’t lost six years in a row, it’s just another team and it doesn’t change anything for us. We still have to work hard through every practice and never give up.”

Supporting Atkinson in a leadership role is Julian Roche – a six-foot-eight post player who has enormous potential, said Vaughan.

“He has the size and skill and smarts and ethic to exceed well beyond the high school ranks,” he said. “I’d say he has the potential to make it and get his schooling paid for down in the States.”

Vaughan said nearly the entire team has grown up playing together, making the chemistry throughout the roster an advantage over the opposition.

“There’s a trust factor there,” he said. “They’re able to motivate themselves without the coaches.”

“We have a group of smart, hardworking, dedicated kids that make this team what it is.”

Returning players Matt MacQueen, Ryan Boudreau, John Santos, Pat MacKinnon and James Mahar bring experience to the squad, said the head coach, while Grade 9 player Kyle Thibodeau is among the best rookies in the province.

“He has size, skill and versatility,” said Vaughan.

Rookies Aaron Bettle, Dylan Wright, John Goguen, meanwhile, provide the Seabees with key depth, he said.

The team’s assistant coach is Vaughan’s daughter Angela, a former varsity girls Seabees coach.

Vaughan said Angela, a teacher at the school, is a former girls varsity MVP herself, and is as much a part of the team’s success over the past seven years as anyone else.

The Seabees – who last won provincials in 2005 – play in a tough South Western circuit, going up against the likes of FHS, KVHS, Leo Hayes, Oromocto High, School Sussex Regional High, Saint John High School, Harbour View and St. Malachy’s.

“It’s so competitive,” said Vaughan. “You need to make top four to go to provincials. Not everyone gets to go. It’s a grind.”
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Red Auerbach

PostSubject: Re: Top JV Boys Basketball Squads   Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:47 am

Here's a stab based on some of the scores and stories...

1. Simonds - Seem to have FHS under control, split games with KV. This is a solid team with good bigs and solid guard play. Roche has a varsity body and is dominating the paint on the JV circuit. Simonds school rule doesn't allow for players to move to varsity in grade 10 so team is loaded with big and experienced players.
2. FHS - Always tough and fundamentally sound. They rely heavily on the three ball and back screens. Do they have enough size to content with Simonds?
3. KV - They have spilt with Simonds but have lost to FHS a few times. It's a young team with 9 grade 9's, can they keep focused? Always a threat as they can score in bunches. Tend to get in foul trouble.
4. Riverview - Dominating their side of the province. Lost to FHS by 5, Simonds by 10, and KV by 15 in exhibition games. Are they good enough to knock off any of the top 3?
5. SJHS - Good talent with two provincial team players on the roster. Haven't been close to contending with any of the stronger teams but seem to be the strongest of the rest.
6-10. Anyone's guess
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Common Sense

PostSubject: Re: Top JV Boys Basketball Squads   Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:45 am

Well now that everyone knows who is going to win the JV.....

By the way, That is a stupid school rule that players in grades 9-10 cannot play varsity...Tell me that is the best for a player....Before this kid heads off to Kentucky, hopefully he will get a chance to dominate varsity....
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ballwatcher

PostSubject: Re: Top JV Boys Basketball Squads   Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:40 pm

Simonds High does not have a rule that JV kids cant move up to Varsity, in fact the girls Varsity team has pulled up players the last 3-4 years. Simply put........ The boys JV coaches are second to none..and the players who may have the choice to move up to Varsity choose to stay in JV the additional year as to play one more year for the Vaughn`s.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Common Sense

PostSubject: Re: Top JV Boys Basketball Squads   Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:19 am

Okay, then I really have some questions....Despite the coaching, which I hear is supposed to be good at the varsity level as well, why would a player who is supposed to be that good not play at the varsity level against the Nissen's of the province but rather settle for playing against jv teams? Aren't there Canada Games tryouts this year? This makes no sense to me. If they are that good, would they not play all the time for the varsity team?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CoachDJR

PostSubject: Re: Top JV Boys Basketball Squads   Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:49 am

While I appreciate Common's point I think we are seeing this as much more of a trend province wide.

IMO this comes from the fact that most high schools are not fed by middle school teams/ programs as much as they are minor association teams and programs. Kids grow up playing from the time they are in K now with a particular group of kids and against a group of kids. Parents are more comfortable with parents, coaches, and situations they know. They also feel that the social aspect of being with their friends and not exposing them to older kids or competition is some how safer and more fun for the their kids. These decisiosn aren't made with athletic development in mind as much as what is easier/better for their kid and their kids friends socially and competitively.

JV is not seen as junior varsity by a lot of parents and communities it is sesn as Grade 9/10 or midget basketball in the school system. Coaches, schools, and programs are getting a increasing amount of backlash from parents, players and communities when kids "play up". Most schools in our area now have actual written policies in regards to when, how and what the procedure is for an 9/10th grader to move up to varsity. I know at our school it requires a consultation between both jv and varsity coaches, the Athletic Director at least one administrator and the parents before the child is even allowed to be approached with the offer.

Despite what we know about athletic development not being strictly tied to chronological age, it is easier for parents and sports administrators to manage and grasp that way. I think you will see in the future the Simonds case being more of the norm rather than the exception, under the current rules and demographics.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Common Sense

PostSubject: Re: Top JV Boys Basketball Squads   Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:54 am

Okay DJR, I understand that, but according to an earlier post, they do have the choice to play up if they want. Where do you think an "elite" player benefits the most? Dominating other jv players or going against the best the province has to offer?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Red Auerbach

PostSubject: Re: Top JV Boys Basketball Squads   Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:01 am

I’m not sure of the real policy at Simonds. A couple parents of the players have told me that was the rule. Eric Nissen of KV chose to stay down when he was in grade 10 primarily due to coach loyalty. Eric is the now the top CIS recruit in the province this year so that decision hasn’t hurt his prospects too much. The pull of the coach certainly does have some sway. It's nice to hear there are good coaches in both JV and Varsity at Simonds. Certainly the ESJ association has been producing good players over the past number of year.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CoachDJR

PostSubject: Re: Top JV Boys Basketball Squads   Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:46 am

Common Sense wrote:
Okay DJR, I understand that, but according to an earlier post, they do have the choice to play up if they want. Where do you think an "elite" player benefits the most? Dominating other jv players or going against the best the province has to offer?

I think in most cases an elite player benifits more from playing for the superior coach, with the superior talent and against better competition. In most cases I would say that is Varsity. The issue is really who is making the decision, the player?, their parents?, the varsity coach?, the JV coach?. I'm sure in all cases its some parts of each but realistically of the 4 influences mentioned you would be lucky in NB if 1 of the four at a particular school/situation has an understanding of what of it takes to develop an elite athlete. Even in the cases where its 2 or 3 out of the 4, almost always the least informed in terms of athlete development is the one who ultimately has final say. (And its not the coaches or the kid).
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CoachDJR

PostSubject: Re: Top JV Boys Basketball Squads   Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:52 am

Red Auerbach wrote:
I’m not sure of the real policy at Simonds. A couple parents of the players have told me that was the rule. Eric Nissen of KV chose to stay down when he was in grade 10 primarily due to coach loyalty. Eric is the now the top CIS recruit in the province this year so that decision hasn’t hurt his prospects too much. The pull of the coach certainly does have some sway. It's nice to hear there are good coaches in both JV and Varsity at Simonds. Certainly the ESJ association has been producing good players over the past number of year.

Not that Eric is not a great player, he is. But if anyone of Eric's build and ahtleticism (without the great coaching he's recieved and dedication to self improvement that he has) was playing high school basketball on the East Coast they would be getting heavy CIS attention.

As I stated in an earlier post in almost every situation it is beneficial to compete against the best talent in practice and on the court, and get the best coaching for elite player development. Now in most situations at schools in NB Varsity is your best shot for the trifecta. Not always though. At AAA especially in the larger schools it is sometimes difficult for the best athletes in grades 9/10 to crack varsity roster. Lots of factors, and there are different issues at different schools, levels and even genders in the province. JV is complicated and as a result struggling to exist and be meaningful at any level below the largest AAA programs.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ballwatcher

PostSubject: Re: Top JV Boys Basketball Squads   Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:23 am

Much has been said over the years about the Simonds High policy.....there is no formal policy. As stated in another post a player who is approched by a Varsity coach is not the sole decision maker...there are consultations between players, coaches,parents, and the athletic director. It is ultimately the player and parents decision with allot of factors to be considered. I agree 100% you need to play against better to be better....but there are allot of other considerations... In Julians case he is a very young Grade 10, having just turned 15. I can only suspect this is one of the deciding factors.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Red Auerbach

PostSubject: Re: Top JV Boys Basketball Squads   Sun Feb 17, 2013 8:04 am

Simonds defeated Riverview in the semi finals in a tight game.
KV knocked off multiple times defending champs Fredericton in OT, 88-77 in the other semi.
Simonds defeated KV in the final with balanced attack.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Top JV Boys Basketball Squads   Today at 12:46 am

Back to top Go down

Top JV Boys Basketball Squads
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1