HoopLife Forums

The opportunity to talk about issues affecting Canadian basketball from coast-to-coast

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Predictions for new top 10 (week of Dec 2)

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
MagicMan

PostSubject: Predictions for new top 10 (week of Dec 2)   Sun Dec 02, 2012 1:00 pm

1. Kitsilano - undefeated
2. WRCA - undefeated
3. Churchill - undefeated
4. Walnut Grove
5. Yale
6 Vancouver College
7. Tamanawis
8. Enver Creek
9. Gleneagle
10. St. George's

Back to top Go down
View user profile
mikeyb

PostSubject: predictions   Sun Dec 02, 2012 4:37 pm

Ahhh if it were only that easy. Just because a team is undefeated, doesn't put them atop the rankings. I'd go with this: (based on St George's losing to AA SMU. Not sure if that affects rankings or not)

1. Kits
2. Grove
3. Yale
4. WRCA
5. Churchill
6. Gleneagle
7. Kelowna
8. Sardis
9. Tamanawis
10. TIE Burnaby South
10. TIE St. Georges

HM: Van College, WJ Mouat, Carson Graham, Pitt, Enver Creek
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MagicMan

PostSubject: Re: Predictions for new top 10 (week of Dec 2)   Sun Dec 02, 2012 4:45 pm

There is NO way you can have Grove go from 1 to 2 after losing at their home opener to an Honourable mention team. WRCA has beaten 3 top 12 teams, as has Churchill. To stay in the top 3, you need to win. #4 is appropriate at this point in the season for Grove. Moving Gleneagle up 8 spots after going 1-1 is CRAZY. They deserve a top 10, but no way at 6. Sardis needs an HM before they can be a top 10.

Mikey B, you need to have more objectivity.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
mikeyb

PostSubject: hmm ?   Sun Dec 02, 2012 5:04 pm

Objectivity ? Um ok. Or I call it reasoning.

Sardis beat Mouat who was top 5. They are a very solid team and deserve a ranking. If they had beaten say, a bottom part of the top 10, then maybe just put them as HM.

Gleneagle ? Self explanitory. Reward the team who beat the #1 ranked team. Seems like a no brainer to me.I thought about putting Kelowna at 6 but they haven't played anyone (as far as I know)

Your reasoning for WR being higher, have they beaten anyone higher than them ?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
overthehill

PostSubject: Great Game   Sun Dec 02, 2012 8:32 pm

I traveled to Abbotsford to catch the Yale/Kits game. Great game that had a playoff like atmosphere. Kits is good and probably deserves the #1 spot at this point in the season. What stood out for me is how scary Yale is. Pankratz got into early foul trouble and I really think the second quarter was the key. With Pankratz on the bench, Kits made a run to cut Yale's lead to 2 at the half. With him on the floor, Yale was having their way with Kits. This Yale team is every bit a top 5 team and gave Kits everything they could handle. Kits size and aggressiveness on the boards was the difference down the stretch. The combo of Pankratz and Boire is the best backcourt I've seen in awhile. I only saw them in the provincials last year and they were good, but they are going to be tough to shut down this season, especially if their young 6'8 post player starts to figure out how to play down low. Kits deserved to win this one, but there aren't many teams that will want to play Yale in a meaningful game this year.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JrCoachS

PostSubject: Re: Predictions for new top 10 (week of Dec 2)   Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:40 am

Handsworth will crack the top 15. Won the South Kamloops tournament. Beating South Kam, Kelowna and Pitt. Also beat Pitt early last week.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
basketballfan1

PostSubject: Re: Predictions for new top 10 (week of Dec 2)   Mon Dec 03, 2012 2:25 pm

JrCoachS wrote:
Handsworth will crack the top 15. Won the South Kamloops tournament. Beating South Kam, Kelowna and Pitt. Also beat Pitt early last week.

It should be noted that Pitt was missing their 6'8" post player and Kelowna was missing their two best players as well.

Any notables playing for Handsworth this year?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JLivingston

PostSubject: Re: Predictions for new top 10 (week of Dec 2)   Mon Dec 03, 2012 3:22 pm

mikeyb wrote:
Ahhh if it were only that easy. Just because a team is undefeated, doesn't put them atop the rankings. I'd go with this: (based on St George's losing to AA SMU. Not sure if that affects rankings or not)

1. Kits
2. Grove
3. Yale
4. WRCA
5. Churchill
6. Gleneagle
7. Kelowna
8. Sardis
9. Tamanawis
10. TIE Burnaby South
10. TIE St. Georges

HM: Van College, WJ Mouat, Carson Graham, Pitt, Enver Creek

Your ranking makes lot of sense and I think the next official ranking would be more or less similar to yours. I would not put Glenealge so much higher just because they defeated Grove. Lord Tweed would also merit some ranking or atleast HM. Burnaby south is not a top 10 - they are at the most lower end of HM. Kelowna - No idea until they visit lower mainland. I have knocked down Grove in my previous ranking but I have to admit that I am wrong after seeing them over the weekend. They deserve to be a top 1 or 2.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Pooch

PostSubject: Re: Predictions for new top 10 (week of Dec 2)   Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:01 am

From what I have seen and read, Kits should be number one based upon results, but I'm betting Walnut is still the best team around.
Mouat, if what they showed on the weekend is any indication, are playing a lot of guys early but will be very tough when they get a lineup they will stick with.
WRCA play very well together and Tyus Allen has been exceptionally good at running the show for them. Not sure they have enough to win it all, but no one will want to play them when it matters. Allen's health will be key.
Yale I know nothing about, but results speak for themselves.
Saint George's will be a handful in the end but have had a ton of injuries and are likely to have a very slow start, as evidenced so far.
I do think the eventual champion will come from the above.
Gleneagle, Sardis, Churchill, VC will be good on any given night but can't see them putting together enough great games to win it all.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
fullcourtpress90

PostSubject: Re: Predictions for new top 10 (week of Dec 2)   Tue Dec 04, 2012 6:31 pm

Speaking of the Howard Tsumura 1st annual tournament - hats off for such a great event - Every team and spectator seemed to really enjoy it. Eventhough White Rock and Walnut Grove were beaten soundly they really played hard and showed no intimidation. Findlay Prep was a real entertainment value and bringing in this sort of talent and program can do nothing but elevate the HS game here. Seeing how the players and crowd interacted with the team was great. It also showed some players that they can compete at that level. LEC runs nothing but a first class event for HS basketball. I can only imagine what this season's provincials will be like. It's still early in the season and some teams are playing lots of players and battling through injuries. WR's bench looked small, several kids in clothing and WG had a few starters injured. Sir Winston put on a strong showing against Terry Fox as well.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Baseline

PostSubject: Re: Predictions for new top 10 (week of Dec 2)   Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:18 pm

fullcourtpress90 wrote:
Speaking of the Howard Tsumura 1st annual tournament - hats off for such a great event - Every team and spectator seemed to really enjoy it. Eventhough White Rock and Walnut Grove were beaten soundly they really played hard and showed no intimidation. Findlay Prep was a real entertainment value and bringing in this sort of talent and program can do nothing but elevate the HS game here. Seeing how the players and crowd interacted with the team was great. It also showed some players that they can compete at that level. LEC runs nothing but a first class event for HS basketball. I can only imagine what this season's provincials will be like. It's still early in the season and some teams are playing lots of players and battling through injuries. WR's bench looked small, several kids in clothing and WG had a few starters injured. Sir Winston put on a strong showing against Terry Fox as well.

Couldn't agree more with the take. Great seeing a high school team of the calibre of Findlay Prep. Both WG and White Rock showed well. WG looked real strong in their game against Mouat and while they lost to Gleneagle, I don't see them falling out of the top 5 this week.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
vancity55555

PostSubject: Re: Predictions for new top 10 (week of Dec 2)   Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:52 am

New Rankings Are Up!
http://blogs.theprovince.com/2012/12/05/12-05-12-edition-the-provinces-big-10-senior-varsity-boys-basketball-rankings/
Kits
Yale
WRCA
Walnut Grove
Tamanawis
Winston Churchill
St Georges
Oak Bay
Sardis

Biggest movers was Sardis who wasnt ranked going in and tammy who was hm and jumped all the way to the top 5. I think they were a very underated team coming in to the season and just won today, but have a big game against Kits tommorow so lets see what they can do. Should be a good game.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
balltillifall2013

PostSubject: Re: Predictions for new top 10 (week of Dec 2)   Sun Dec 16, 2012 2:39 am

MagicMan wrote:
There is NO way you can have Grove go from 1 to 2 after losing at their home opener to an Honourable mention team. WRCA has beaten 3 top 12 teams, as has Churchill. To stay in the top 3, you need to win. #4 is appropriate at this point in the season for Grove. Moving Gleneagle up 8 spots after going 1-1 is CRAZY. They deserve a top 10, but no way at 6. Sardis needs an HM before they can be a top 10.

Mikey B, you need to have more objectivity.

ok first off buddy get your information correct, walnut grove did not lose to glen eagle on there home opener it was at glen eagle. stop posting you dont know anything about grove kicked the shit out of st. georges by like 30 points grove should be ranked second kits first.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
fundamentals

PostSubject: Re: Predictions for new top 10 (week of Dec 2)   Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:37 am

Whoever it is that goes by balltillifall2013, I am hopeful that you understand the etiquette behind posting online whatever the forum. Dropping the f-bomb and the other unnecessary jargon is simply offside. Last year, there were comments by mikeyb and mark scott and others about how much they enjoyed posting to the BC Seniors page because people put some thought into what they wrote.

If the home opener things bothers you so be it and if you feel WG is deserving of a #1 ranking, so be it. Just don't bring the forum down 3 or 4 notches with unnecessary language.

"What you are as a person is far more important than what you are as a basketball player." - John Wooden

"Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are." - John Wooden

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Pooch

PostSubject: Grove   Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:55 am

WG beat a wounded St. George's team by 16, not 30. The new Ontario kid was playing his first game for them and he was easily their best player. Adding him to what they already had has made them the team to beat for sure.
I think they are probably deserving of number one. It is between them and Kits in my opinion.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DickVitale2013

PostSubject: Re: Predictions for new top 10 (week of Dec 2)   Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:17 am

Enough of hearing the excuses that a team loses because of injuries. Every team goes through injuries during the season and must be able to play through it. I don't hear the Lakers crying foul, because Nash has been sidelined. Kobe is just pissed that their losing. A loss is a loss. As well, I was at that game and all St.Georges main players played significant minutes. One of Walnut Grove starters from last year barely played and I hear he's injured. The new kid looked good in his first game, but they have alot of good players and their depth is what makes them a serious contender. They wore down the Saints. Cohee didn't score as much as usual, but his running of the team is why they win. When WG went on their run he was the catalyst and did an excellent job producing transition baskets and finding the open man. It's difficult to win in HS without good PG play. It is very evident that St. Georges lacks depth and count on a young Grade 10 off the bench. How they do will depend on how effective their starters will be. Their forward #20 had a real good game for them especially second half. Uruquart started off fast, but considerably slowed down as game wore on. He logged many minutes and the pace of the game wore him down. Regardless two very good teams and excellent coaching.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Predictions for new top 10 (week of Dec 2)   Today at 5:04 pm

Back to top Go down

Predictions for new top 10 (week of Dec 2)
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1