HoopLife Forums

The opportunity to talk about issues affecting Canadian basketball from coast-to-coast

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Finals On Tuesday

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Bellbasketball

PostSubject: Finals On Tuesday   Sat Feb 20, 2010 6:42 pm

4:00 Pm - Ashbury vs Louis Riel

6:00 Pm - St.Paul vs Lester B

8:00 Pm - Srb vs St.Matts

Should be a decent finals definitely not how it was interpreted at the beginning of the year but what are peoples thoughts on the finals? Predictions? And the threats for each team?And any other addition information.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
coach flex

PostSubject: L-R All Day   Sat Feb 20, 2010 8:54 pm

according to me l-r will defeat ashbury...they worked really hard to get there and will not be defeated!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
coachc

PostSubject: Re: Finals On Tuesday   Sat Feb 20, 2010 9:26 pm

I don't know if the predictions were that far off. I don't think that Ashbury vs Louis Riel in the A final and St. Paul vs LBP in the AA final is a surprise to anyone nor would it have been a surprise at the beginning of the season. Perhaps St. Matts in the final is a bit of a surprise. I am sure most had Sacred Heart, St. Pats and SRB contending, but most would have also had St. Matts and CB in the next group and both had the ability to upset one of the favourites which is what happened with St. Matts beating Sacred Heart. All six teams deserve to be there and are playing good basketball right now. The finals will definitely be entertaining. I will predict Ashbury and LBP winning their games just based on how I see the teams matching up with each other. Ashbury is so well coached and have dominant bigs who can handle the ball as well. LBP has Lual and I am not sure who St. Paul will use to guard him. They also have two very skilled guards to contain and perhaps even out play the guards from St. Paul. Still, in the finals, at a big gym and with hopefully an electric environment, so much more comes into play than just the ability of the two teams. Good luck to all!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
baller29

PostSubject: Re: Finals On Tuesday   Sun Feb 21, 2010 12:17 am

Is there a ofsaa play in game between bell and sacred heart
Back to top Go down
View user profile
coachc

PostSubject: Re: Finals On Tuesday   Sun Feb 21, 2010 8:44 am

No there is not as we only have one spot at quad A and one at triple. Last year we had two because we hosted so there was a play in game between the two semi final losers.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lebron123

PostSubject: Re: Finals On Tuesday   Sun Feb 21, 2010 9:28 am

With the recent success of Ottawa high school basketball I think that we should be given more spots into OFFSA because we have represented ourselves well. AY JAckson, St Matt's St.Pat's and Ashbury have all won a medal in the last 3 years. SRB, did outstanding in last years OFFSA . St Patrick's did good 3 years ago as well. WE should be admitted another berth like the Toronto and Hamilton area seeing that are teams are highly competitve.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
inthehouse

PostSubject: Re: Finals On Tuesday   Sun Feb 21, 2010 10:35 am

Lebron123 wrote:
With the recent success of Ottawa high school basketball I think that we should be given more spots into OFFSA because we have represented ourselves well. AY JAckson, St Matt's St.Pat's and Ashbury have all won a medal in the last 3 years. SRB, did outstanding in last years OFFSA . St Patrick's did good 3 years ago as well. WE should be admitted another berth like the Toronto and Hamilton area seeing that are teams are highly competitve.

I've been out of the loop for awhile just getting back into it this year. From what I know we've been very successful in recent years at the A/AA/AAA level. I'm not sure we have an argument for another spot at AAAA or how NCSSAA has been doing in this tournament? This year SH (AAAA school) attended a couple tournaments which featured top AAAA teams and struggled. Lost to Pickering by 18, London Beal by 12 and St. Mikes by 24 - SH is a young team but overall Ottawa definitely faces stiff competition in AAAA OFSAA. Both SRB and St. Matt's or any other Ottawa team have some challenges when it comes to the AAAA championship this year. Would have been interesting to see how St. Matt's would have fared last year in AAAA, assuming it would have contended for sure. Always been tough to compete from year to year against Toronto area teams and other areas with simple #'s (population) of athletes and schools, transfer rules, recruiting?, and 5th year mentality...Not sure how we can narrow the gap? We still remain very competitive - our good programs do well for the most part, Ottawa basketball is getting respect but could get more?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
baller29

PostSubject: Re: Finals On Tuesday   Sun Feb 21, 2010 11:41 am

theres actully no Qaud A schools in toronto, so population dossent reflect the schools ability just people go there for the program. about not having a play in game,thats insane, how is it possible? the defending city will always get 2 births(2 AAA) and 1 play in game for Qaud A. in every sport its been like that even this year for volleyball, because the last 2 years ottawa been preforming good in volleyball caputreing gold and silver At Qaud A level and tripple A and now we always have 2 births to tripple a ofsaa and 1 for qaud a, why is it that we only have 1 birth for each this year, like it would be really good to see sacred heart or bell at Quad A ofsaa because u never know what might happen they might even win it, like last year when Louis riel senior girls soccer team lost to colonel by in city finals but were also awarded a birth to ofsaa won the ofsaa tripple a championship when colonel by lost in qaurters
Back to top Go down
View user profile
coachc

PostSubject: Re: Finals On Tuesday   Sun Feb 21, 2010 12:24 pm

There are tons of AAAA schools in Toronto but the big basketball schools (Eastern, Carr, Mother Theresa, Vaughn) all seem to be AA schools. These schools move up for the recognition of competing against the big dogs at ofsaa but if you look across the province this year, there is less difference between AA, AAA, and AAAA than there has been in years past. Loyola is one of the top GTA schools and they will be AAA, Parkside (Hamilton) is a solid program as well and they are AA. Martingrove is also a top ten school in GTA and they are AAA this year as well. These schools have beaten some of the top teams that will be at AAAA ofsaa so I think that an argument can be made that there is little difference between the AA, AAA, AAAA ofsaas this year.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bellbasketball

PostSubject: Re: Finals On Tuesday   Sun Feb 21, 2010 1:13 pm

Personally I believe the most entertaining game will probably be Ashbury vs LR in the sense that they competed in the season and louis lost by 8 or so, and both teams have two different types of game play so it will be interesting to watch. Louis riel has there athleticism and quick guards while ashbury has the discipline and solid big men. In the next game, St.Paul will have it in tough but are still capable of winning this game but i still lean towards lester b. to pull that off I just think there too much for that team. On the plus side st.paul has been playing great basketball second half of the season and are a young group. With srb and stmatts a remake of last years final i believe srb has too much fire power for them but stmatts will play disciplined and not try to play in the up and down tempo of srb and will run there sets.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
LouisRielCat

PostSubject: Re: Finals On Tuesday   Sun Feb 21, 2010 9:13 pm

All the games should be good, everyt eam thats in the finals, weather its AA or AAA deserves to be there and shoul;dnt get the critaism from haters on other threads, besides that, the st.paul vs lester b should be sick, and if st.paul contains johny and really put pressure on him I have a feelings they could win but if johney catches fire... game over. I go to louisriel so I have to give it up on the team, daniel is a sick baller but Ashbury have the " chris bosh lookalike" and he's got game... but the most entertaining game should be the repeat of SRB vs St.Matts. Now everyone keeps critizing st.matts but they have really improved over the season, alot and the last time I saw them play vs SH they were saposed to get crushed but that wasnt the case this time.., when I saw it on rogers 22 st.matts crushed SH and I think beat them by lik 20 points, and as for SRB they are too sick and have alot of threats including the post whos like 6'5 but if st.matts plays like they did vs SH I have a feeling ther might be an upset but if they do not contain the proper players and play tough D then SRB will surely leave st.matts in the dust but I said before and I'll say it agian.... it all depends on who wants it more?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
baller29

PostSubject: Re: Finals On Tuesday   Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:36 pm

why is there no play in game though u dont have to be host city to have 2 births if the city has won 2 consecutive ofsaa or reach a medal game the city will get 2 births ottawa has already proven we have talent from winning 2 consecutive medals
Back to top Go down
View user profile
coachc

PostSubject: Re: Finals On Tuesday   Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:05 am

There are some boards that get two births because they have a lot of schools in the ofsaa category. Should the host board already have two births, then they go to the previous gold medal winner's association and offer them the second bid.

Understand that this is not about having the top 16 teams in the province in one tournament, but having a tournament of teams that have won the right to be there from their association. If we simply invited the 16 best, then there would be some associations with multiple representatives and others with no representatives. The idea is to have the best representatives from each association play against each other.

If you look at TDCAA, they have Motehr Theresa, Powers, and Henry Carr or the Durham board has Pickering, J C Richardson, Notre Dame, and Pine Ridge, or TDSB has Eastern COmmerce, Martingrove, Jarvis, Oakwood, and Western Tech. All of these schools could make a case on an annual basis that they deserve to be at ofsaa ahead of some of the schools that qualify, but you have to win to get in and if they can't win their association, then they don't belong at ofsaa.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
coachc

PostSubject: Re: Finals On Tuesday   Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:09 am

One model that I would like to see our association adopt is what they use in TDSB. The champ gets the first bid to ofsaa, but for the second ofsaa bid, the team that lost in the city finals plays the team that lost in the semis to the eventual champs for the second bid. So in our case, if SRB won tonight, then St. Matts would play Bell for the right to go to AAAA ofsaa. As it stands now, both St. Matts and SRB have qualified for ofsaa with the loser going to AAAA and Bell and Sacred Heart are eliminated.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
hoopdreams

PostSubject: Re: Finals On Tuesday   Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:54 pm

4:00 Pm - Ashbury vs Louis Riel. I'll go with Louis Riel for real this is a toss up Ashbury has played well this year but Louis looks like they have something to prove. Wink

6:00 Pm - St.Paul vs Lester B. I'll go with Lester B However I think if it comes to the end I think St pual as the better coaching staff. scratch Mad

8:00 Pm - Srb vs St.Matts. I'll go with SRB real power house.

All three games should be close, that's why we play the games Basketball
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Finals On Tuesday   Today at 8:08 pm

Back to top Go down

Finals On Tuesday
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1