HoopLife Forums

The opportunity to talk about issues affecting Canadian basketball from coast-to-coast

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Higher Hoops predictions?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Collective Basketball

PostSubject: Higher Hoops predictions?    Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:48 am

What are we all thinking for the boys A and B divisions as well as the girls A and B divisions of this years higher hoops?
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.collectivebasketball.com
Basketballcalgary

PostSubject: Re: Higher Hoops predictions?    Mon Dec 03, 2012 5:22 pm

A Draw Girls:

Round 1 -

Centenntial over Francis by 30+

St Marys over Grandin by 30 +

Churchill over Scarlett by 20

OByrne over Western by 30 +

Round 2 -

Centennial over Marys by 10

Churchill over OByrne by 10

Final -

Churchill over Centennial by 10
Back to top Go down
View user profile
localhoopfan

PostSubject: Re: Higher Hoops predictions?    Mon Dec 03, 2012 6:52 pm

A Boys

Plenty of lopsided games ahead for round 1 but some good quarter final matchups ahead with Grandin vs McNally who both won opening tournaments handily (Grandin in a tough draw up at St FX in Edmonton) and McNally in a much weaker field at Manning in Calgary. My pick is Grandin in a close one but a ton of athletes on both teams so would be a good one to watch. Grandin will then likely play BOB in the semis who has a weaker grouping playing Wisewood first then the winner of Western and Pearson.

Other quarter should be St. Mary's vs Notre Dame (unless Crescent Heights knocks them off), Churchill (who rolled through a pre season tourney they hosted) should handle the winner of Lacombe or St. Francis and then play the winner of the Mary's/ND or CH game. My semi pick would be Churchill vs St. Mary's.

I won't risk further embarassment with additional picks until I see some games!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ITCANTBETRUE

PostSubject: Higher hoops    Fri Dec 07, 2012 8:53 am

Looks like 1 and 2 will meet up in the finals for the boys any takers on who will win and why. Both teams have looked impressive in the scores however Churchill looks to be running through teams based on the margin of victory they are posting. I was very surprised at the semi final score against Mary's did someone get hurt or not play? The other semi appeared to be more competitive.

With Grandin easily winning the edmonton tournament last week Calgary is appearing to be the where the power is this year???
Back to top Go down
View user profile
localhoopfan

PostSubject: Re: Higher Hoops predictions?    Fri Dec 07, 2012 9:43 am

Yes the Calgary boys ranking committee did a tremendous job with the seedings as the top 4 established themselves in the first couple of weeks though at this point I'd give Churchill a 1+! They were awesome last night in rolling over St. Mary's with an incredible start (42 pts in the first quarter) on a barrage of 3 pt shooting. Mary's had a horrendous start with poor shooting from the field and the line and a number of turnovers - the rest of the game was more competitive but the damage was done early. Emmett Cook had around 8-10 3s, everyone else seemed to get 2 or 3 each - most of them wide open looks because the D was chasing Adonis Monfort Palomino around the court. AMP was amazing scoring and sharing - fun to watch! I expect they will beat BOB in the final by a healthy margin and then coaches of BOB, Grandin, Mary's and others (McNally?) will have to try to find a way to slow the Churchill train down.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bballspirit

PostSubject: Re: Higher Hoops predictions?    Fri Dec 07, 2012 9:54 am

Don't dismiss Edmonton so quickly, as STFX defeated BOB, and Oleary was neck and neck with Grandin. I do not think anyone will touch Churchill, however, all one has to do is recalllast year a certain Edmonton team that was untouchable and got touched at provincials. As we all know anything can happen. Should be an interesting season.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
localhoopfan

PostSubject: Re: Higher Hoops predictions?    Sat Dec 08, 2012 11:27 pm

Well I have to take the + away from the Churchill ranking! Congrats to a scrappy BOB team who took down #1 ranked Churchill tonight 81-68. Churchill lived by the 3 on Thursday and died by it tonight. Maybe made 6 3s out of about 35+ attempts. Emmett Cook was 1 for about 12+ after making everything on Thursday, Scott Lamb had trouble shooting and with his composure fouling out on back to back offensive, off the ball fouls. Adonis Monfort Palomino had a steady game but the shots weren't falling for any of the Bulldogs. Credit to a well coached and balanced BOB team and I thought terrific performances out of Femi Morawo who was awesome on D and had several terrific drives to the hoop, Paolo Garvez who was in AMP's shorts all night long and Garret Ladell was his usual steady self. Both teams shot poorly from the field but BOB won the energy battle getting to most of the loose balls down the stretch in a game that was within 4 pts or so the entire way.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
ITCANTBETRUE

PostSubject: I think Churchill still is the team to beat despite loss    Sun Dec 09, 2012 1:13 pm

I agree with taking away the + from Churchill. But I will say they definitely looked to be the better team and I thought beat themselves with poor decision making on offence and a lack of defensive focus. Not taking anything away from BOB who I thought played a very well all round game despite being limited on talent. Just goes to show anything can happen in high school basketball.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Higher Hoops predictions?    Today at 11:00 am

Back to top Go down

Higher Hoops predictions?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1