HoopLife Forums

The opportunity to talk about issues affecting Canadian basketball from coast-to-coast

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Top teams in the North 2012-2013

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
3bomber

PostSubject: Top teams in the North 2012-2013   Thu Dec 06, 2012 6:43 pm

Anyone have any information of the best teams in the North so far?
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Top teams in the North 2012-2013   Sat Dec 08, 2012 2:53 am

Senior:
1. Basils?
2. Timmins?
3. O'Gorman?

Junior:
1. Lockerby?
2. Timmins?
3. Algonquin?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
3bomber

PostSubject: Re: Top teams in the North 2012-2013   Sat Dec 08, 2012 2:42 pm

Have any of these teams played each other yet?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
coachp

PostSubject: Re: Top teams in the North 2012-2013   Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:02 pm

In the senior division. Basil's and TH haven't played but Basil's won the Laurentian tourney and TH lost in quarter I think.
TH did play O'Gorman in the Gold Cup final and won easily. I would add maybe Korah to the list. They beat TH in sudbury in OT. And Algonquin lost in the Timmins semi to O'Gorman by 4. Game apparently could of gone either way with fould shots seeling the game.

In Juniors Lockerby beat Algonquin by 5 in the Gold cup semi and TH by 2 in final. Algonquin is pretty good so is TH but I would put Algonquin a head of TH. They had a tougher draw in timmins. TH assured themselves a final birth with an easy pool. The SOO usualy has some good junior teams. Any body got some info on the SOO ?
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Top teams in the North 2012-2013   Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:15 pm

Timmins High juniors were also missing a starter due to injury and another starter only played half of the game against Lockerby because of an injury.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
3bomber

PostSubject: Re: Top teams in the North 2012-2013   Mon Dec 10, 2012 5:44 pm

So we got

Basils #1
Kora #2
TH #3
OG #4?

Any chance of TH taking Basils out? Can't believe OG is even on this list. They haven't won anything ever?? Couldn't even tell you one good player to come from there in recent years.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
coachc

PostSubject: Re: Top teams in the North 2012-2013   Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:30 pm

OGorman came to Ottawa this weekend and apparently did quite well. I did not see them play, but on the NCSSAA thread someone posted that they played Glebe pretty close and Glebe is one of the top teams in Ottawa so OGorman must have something.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
3bomber

PostSubject: Re: Top teams in the North 2012-2013   Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:41 pm

Glebe beat Ashbury. How are they looking for this season then? So OG is making a slight improvement then that's good for the North. Be nice to see some other colours take over in the near future.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Norman Dale

PostSubject: Korah is the best so far   Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:24 am

Korah beat St. Basil's in league play. They played in a Sarnia tournament this past weekend and lost in the final after beating Sarnia Northern in the semi-final. I would have to put them on top until St. Basils beats them
Back to top Go down
View user profile
coachc

PostSubject: Re: Top teams in the North 2012-2013   Wed Dec 12, 2012 5:23 pm

are the public schools in the north still running their teams?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
3bomber

PostSubject: Re: Top teams in the North 2012-2013   Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:55 am

I heard that some public schools may be starting up sports again but not sure if all school or just certain ones. It's a sad situation to have these kids who are in their final year have to sit out and miss opportunities to play and/or get scouted.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
essar

PostSubject: Re: Top teams in the North 2012-2013   Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:26 pm

I would say after the championship game this past weekend that St Basil cleared the air and showed who is #1. I was dissapointed though Korah managed to take home individual hardware, talk has it that politics were involved.Unfortunate for Basils boys as they were the better from league, playoff and tournamant record than Korah so I don't understand how they could not been selected for individual awards.Reminds me of when Basil's Didonato lost out.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Norman Dale

PostSubject: Sault Basketball Awards   Tue Feb 19, 2013 5:56 am

I have to admit that I too was surprised, but only about one, that being the league MVP. I guess what it might come down to is it MVP in the league (scoring) or most valuable to their respective team. If it is the latter than Iacoe was more valuable to his team that Bertolissi was to Basil's.

As to the Referees award, it is my stated belief that a Basil's player through the last five years should have never won it, especially Alexander, three years ago!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
essar

PostSubject: Re: Top teams in the North 2012-2013   Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:25 am

Norman Dale wrote:
I have to admit that I too was surprised, but only about one, that being the league MVP. I guess what it might come down to is it MVP in the league (scoring) or most valuable to their respective team. If it is the latter than Iacoe was more valuable to his team that Bertolissi was to Basil's.

As to the Referees award, it is my stated belief that a Basil's player through the last five years should have never won it, especially Alexander, three years ago!

Well if you really believe that then why wasn't Fronzi MVP as I'm sure he was most valuable member of St.Mary's. Ultimately you have to look at the individuals performance as stated earlier in league, playoffs, and tournaments.I'm sure Iacoe was an integral part of Korah but I can say the championship game showed who was the MVP and left no doubt with politics having no influence on the outcome.Dig a little and you'll see what I mean.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
essar

PostSubject: Re: Top teams in the North 2012-2013   Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:21 pm

While your at it I don't understand how you can even say Basil"s should not have been acounted for the ref award for the past 5 years. You must be somewhat onesided or anti-Basil.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Norman Dale

PostSubject: Re: Top teams in the North 2012-2013   Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:37 pm

essar wrote:
Norman Dale wrote:

Well if you really believe that then why wasn't Fronzi MVP as I'm sure he was most valuable member of St.Mary's. Ultimately you have to look at the individuals performance as stated earlier in league, playoffs, and tournaments.I'm sure Iacoe was an integral part of Korah but I can say the championship game showed who was the MVP and left no doubt with politics having no influence on the outcome.Dig a little and you'll see what I mean.

I believe that the most valuable player of the final game was the proper call. I believe that the point guard from St. Basil's is the overall best player in the league but if he was lost they would still be a very good team whereas if Korah lost Iacoe they would not be as strong as they were. In my mind that is the definition of "MVP"!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Norman Dale

PostSubject: Re: Top teams in the North 2012-2013   Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:38 pm

essar wrote:
Norman Dale wrote:

I believe that the most valuable player of the final game was the proper call. I believe that the point guard from St. Basil's is the overall best player in the league but if he was lost they would still be a very good team whereas if Korah lost Iacoe they would not be as strong as they were. In my mind that is the definition of "MVP"!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Norman Dale

PostSubject: Sportsmanship!   Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:43 pm

essar wrote:
While your at it I don't understand how you can even say Basil"s should not have been acounted for the ref award for the past 5 years. You must be somewhat onesided or anti-Basil.

There was only one player that comes to mind on the last two Basil's teams (this year excluded) that displayed any sportsmanship whatsoever and that was Mario Bruni. I would hazard a guess and say that this sentiment is common across the Soo.

Please tell me the player from Basil's that does not make a face or whine after every call. I have watched many games and cannot think of one! Please elucidate!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
essar

PostSubject: Re: Top teams in the North 2012-2013   Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:19 pm

MVP by definition-is an honor typically bestowed upon the best-performing player or players on a specific team, in an entire league, or for a particular contest.Hence for our case it would pertain to an entire league, thereby confirming the MVP was incorrectly bestowed upon as even stated by you!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Norman Dale

PostSubject: Re: Top teams in the North 2012-2013   Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:39 pm

essar wrote:
MVP by definition-is an honor typically bestowed upon the best-performing player or players on a specific team, in an entire league, or for a particular contest.Hence for our case it would pertain to an entire league, thereby confirming the MVP was incorrectly bestowed upon as even stated by you!

You say "best-performing player" and I say most important player to his team. How would a team perform if a particular player was lost is the metric that I look at and I believe that the people choosing the MVP used as well.

For example, last year Aidan Chard was chose as the MVP. If St. Mary's had lost him where would they have finished in the standings? I believe they would have had a season similar to that of this year.

I am not anti-Basil's just trying to be even-handed.

I believe that both St. Basil's and Korah will be going to OFSAA this year, continuing on the Soo dominance of NOSSA basketball. I look forward to the team that hits the floor when the two schools join together.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Norman Dale

PostSubject: Congrats to the NOSSA Winners   Sun Feb 24, 2013 8:08 am

Congrats to both St. Basil's amd Korah in winning NOSSA AA and AAA this year:

"The St. Basil Senior Saints struck gold Saturday at the Northern Ontario Secondary Schools Association (NOSSA) AA basketball championships in North Bay.

St. Basil cruised to a 77-51 victory over Sudbury’s Lockerby High School on Saturday night at St. Joseph-Scollard Hall.

It was the eighth consecutive NOSSA title for the Saints, which also dominated on the local scene this year by winning their fifth straight city high school basketball championship
." &

"In NOSSA AAA action in Sudbury on the weekend:

The Korah Senior Colts won the gold medal by defeating Sudbury’s Lasalle Secondary School 62-43."

This just shows that it is harder to get out of the Soo than it is out of NOSSA.

Good luck to both the Saints and the Colts at OFSAA. Win it for WIN! bounce
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Run&Gun92

PostSubject: The Soo Dominance ending soon   Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:56 pm

This year is the last year in which St. Basils will be the best school in the North. It has been about three years now, and thats about to change with Timmins taking control again. Basils squeaked, and i mean squeaked by an O'Gorman team with 2 grade 10's starting for them and two other grade 11's starting. Facts speak for themselves, O'Gorman is the power for the next 3 years, and single A school being the best in the North; how long has it been since that happened.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Top teams in the North 2012-2013   Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:40 pm

How can you say that? What has O'Gorman done this year that is so impressive? Yea they played with the best team in Northern Ontario for a half, pretty sure Basil's still won easily by over 20. What about Korah? How do you know that they won't be the dominate team for years to come?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Norman Dale

PostSubject: Best Team in the North going forward   Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:11 am

Run&Gun92 wrote:
This year is the last year in which St. Basils will be the best school in the North. It has been about three years now, and thats about to change with Timmins taking control again. Basils squeaked, and i mean squeaked by an O'Gorman team with 2 grade 10's starting for them and two other grade 11's starting. Facts speak for themselves, O'Gorman is the power for the next 3 years, and single A school being the best in the North; how long has it been since that happened.

Next year Korah should be the power team in the North with I believe all of the starters back or at least four. St. Basil's should be a strong team if not the power they have been (the twins are leaving for university) and Superior Heights were strong and they had a good Junior team as well. Timmin's will be strong as always as well as LaSalle and Lockerby. The following year when St. Basil's and St. Mary's amalgamate they should be back to being a strong team as welll! So, honestly I am not sure where O'Gorman sits in all that but they should go to the Vetrie and other strong tournaments to test themselves!

Last edited by Norman Dale on Tue Mar 05, 2013 5:42 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Norman Dale

PostSubject: Seeds at OFSAA   Fri Mar 01, 2013 7:52 pm

FYI:

St. Basil's is ranked #2 at "AA" OFSAA &
Korah is ranked #8 at "AAA" OFSAA.

Not to bad for the North! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content