HoopLife Forums

The opportunity to talk about issues affecting Canadian basketball from coast-to-coast

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Kwantlen/Pat Dooley Memorial Tournament

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
FVBasketballFan

PostSubject: Kwantlen/Pat Dooley Memorial Tournament   Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:22 am

Many of the top ranked teams are in this tourney; here's a recap of the scores in the first day;

Game 1 9:00am Gleneagle 33 Tamanawis 71
Game 2 10:30am Pitt Meadows 77 Earl Marriott 26
Game 3 12:00pm Heritage Woods 85 Delview 52
Game 4 1:30pm Vancouver College 75 Gleneagle 24
Game 5 3:00pm Killarney 59 Tweedsmuir 67
Game 6 4:30pm Burnaby South 65 Earl Marriott 21
Game 7 (Overtime) 6:00pm Kitsilano 66 Tweedsmuir 68
Game 8 7:30pm Sir Winston Churchill 114 Delview 34

Some real blowouts, and a couple of teams (Kitsilano, Burnaby South) seem to have a couple of guys out with injury.

Interesting format - 4 - 3 team pools. The only pool that is decided is Pool A, where Tweedsmuir clinched the top spot with wins over Killarney and Kits. Tomorrow morning will have some good games, with Pitt playing Burnaby South, Heritage Woods playing Churchill, and Tamanawis vs. Van College.

All updates can be found at http://www.kwantlen.ca/athletics/Athletic_Events/Pat_Dooley_Memorial_Junior_Boys_Basketball_Classic.html
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Jbooke

PostSubject: Re: Kwantlen/Pat Dooley Memorial Tournament   Fri Dec 07, 2012 1:19 am

Saw a few games today. The most injury ridden team seemed to be Vancouver College, who were missing their two top guards and 3 big men. They have unbelievable depth, to still be dominent. Shame so many teams catch the injury bug so early in the year.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FVBasketballFan

PostSubject: Re: Kwantlen/Pat Dooley Memorial Tournament   Fri Dec 07, 2012 5:25 pm

Jbooke wrote:
Saw a few games today. The most injury ridden team seemed to be Vancouver College, who were missing their two top guards and 3 big men. They have unbelievable depth, to still be dominent. Shame so many teams catch the injury bug so early in the year.

Yes, I'm pretty sure VC's bench would be a top 5 team, they're so deep.

Some good games at Kwantlen this morning;

Van College beat Tamanawis 70-44 to easily win Pool D
Churchill defeated a strong Heritage Woods squad 69-54 - Churchill looks terrific in taking Pool C
And Pitt Meadows beat a short-handed Burnaby South team 70-59 to win Pool B.
Burnaby was playing without Tyus Batiste and Jermaine Haley, who are both fantastic players, not to take anything away from a tough Pitt squad who are well coached and work well as a team.

So it's VC vs. Churchill and Tweedsmuir vs. Pitt Meadows in the semi's which will be later tonight.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Jbooke

PostSubject: Re: Kwantlen/Pat Dooley Memorial Tournament   Fri Dec 07, 2012 6:33 pm

#8 from VC was their leader today.. Seems to be a transfer. Anyone know about him? Should be a great matchup in the semis, wish I could make it out and see..
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FVBasketballFan

PostSubject: Re: Kwantlen/Pat Dooley Memorial Tournament   Fri Dec 07, 2012 6:38 pm

Jbooke wrote:
#8 from VC was their leader today.. Seems to be a transfer. Anyone know about him? Should be a great matchup in the semis, wish I could make it out and see..

Didn't see the game (just passing along scores), but from your description they did bring in a talented kid from Golden - I believe his name is Sage Gosal - apologies if I got the spelling wrong! He played Drive Elite this summer and was on the Basketball BC U14 the previous year. Haven't seen him play but I've heard he's got a lot of talent - understandable that he wanted to play in Metro Vancouver as opposed to Golden!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Jbooke

PostSubject: Re: Kwantlen/Pat Dooley Memorial Tournament   Fri Dec 07, 2012 6:43 pm

Ah, thank you, that makes sense. The rich get richer at VC! He plays with a lot of heart.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Kwantlen/Pat Dooley Memorial Tournament   Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:38 pm

Pitt 74-Tweedsmuir 42
Back to top Go down
vantitan10

PostSubject: Respect   Sat Dec 08, 2012 5:29 am

seems like these new age teams focus more on blowing teams out vs showing class and good sportsmanship i realize this is jr ball but still what good does it do a team beating someone 114-34 its just idiotic and classless!

does anyone else find this at all to be the case more coaches are going with the blow out vs respect for their opponent?

one of the examples that come to mind would be a couple weeks ago VC played i believe a public school from vancouver or richmond and they killed them by 66 which isnt too bad but the fact they kept a full court press on when the score was 35-0 after the 1st is just insulting i recall this as a parent had called to inform what they had seen they ran the score upto 90-27 final !

not saying teams should stop playing but maybe rest your starters and play your bench give those kids the time to develope

the other example would be at the kwantlen turny beating a team 114-34 is just stupid and classless!!

anyways feel free to way in
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FVBasketballFan

PostSubject: Re: Kwantlen/Pat Dooley Memorial Tournament   Sat Dec 08, 2012 12:23 pm

[quote="vantitan10"]seems like these new age teams focus more on blowing teams out vs showing class and good sportsmanship i realize this is jr ball but still what good does it do a team beating someone 114-34 its just idiotic and classless!

does anyone else find this at all to be the case more coaches are going with the blow out vs respect for their opponent?

I struggle with a bit, especially when teams are up big and still playing their starters. There is a HUGE talent gap in some of these cases, where the top teams' benches are more talented than the other teams starters, which doesn't always stop the points from piling on. I prefer when teams who are up by a lot try to slow things down, use the shot clock etc, but still running their offense - the bench kids want to score too.

However, pressing when up by 30 against teams that don't have the guard play to get the ball upcourt is pretty classless. Nothing to gain from that.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FVBasketballFan

PostSubject: Re: Kwantlen/Pat Dooley Memorial Tournament   Sat Dec 08, 2012 12:29 pm

Emmyu wrote:
Pitt 74-Tweedsmuir 42

Thought this one would be closer. Their coach was double booked and was at the North Shore Invitational, but Pitt was red hot out of the gate. They played very well against Burnaby South as well - firing on all cylinders right now.

Strange format to this tourney. Burnaby South and Tweedsmuir were both winners of their pools, rounding out a semi final with Churchill and VC. But the teams that finished second in the pool are playing for 3rd place, and the teams that finished last are playing for 5th?

Any other format would have Burnaby and Tweedsmuir playing for 3rd. Not much incentive to win your pool in this format. Curious what others' thoughts are on this..........
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Jbooke

PostSubject: Re: Kwantlen/Pat Dooley Memorial Tournament   Sat Dec 08, 2012 12:57 pm

FVBasketballFan wrote:
Emmyu wrote:
Pitt 74-Tweedsmuir 42

Thought this one would be closer. Their coach was double booked and was at the North Shore Invitational, but Pitt was red hot out of the gate. They played very well against Burnaby South as well - firing on all cylinders right now.

Strange format to this tourney. Burnaby South and Tweedsmuir were both winners of their pools, rounding out a semi final with Churchill and VC. But the teams that finished second in the pool are playing for 3rd place, and the teams that finished last are playing for 5th?

Any other format would have Burnaby and Tweedsmuir playing for 3rd. Not much incentive to win your pool in this format. Curious what others' thoughts are on this..........

Small correction. Pitt Meadows won their pool, and Burnaby finished second. Thats why Pitt Tweeds VC and Churchill were in semis, the four winners. That means that the losers of the semi finals should have played for third, and that would be Churchill vs Tweedsmuir. Instead the second place teams in each pool played, Heritage over South and Tammy over Kits, and now heritage and tammy will play for third. Doesn't make a ton of sense. Churchill finished in 7th despite winning their pool
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FVBasketballFan

PostSubject: Re: Kwantlen/Pat Dooley Memorial Tournament   Sat Dec 08, 2012 1:27 pm

Small correction. Pitt Meadows won their pool, and Burnaby finished second. Thats why Pitt Tweeds VC and Churchill were in semis, the four winners. That means that the losers of the semi finals should have played for third, and that would be Churchill vs Tweedsmuir. Instead the second place teams in each pool played, Heritage over South and Tammy over Kits, and now heritage and tammy will play for third. Doesn't make a ton of sense. Churchill finished in 7th despite winning their pool[/quote]

yes, thank you for the correction. you're right, it should be Churchill/Tweedsmuir playing for 3rd/4th as pool winners but losers in the semi's. Much appreciated for fixing my screw up!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
vantitan10

PostSubject: west van tournament   Sat Dec 08, 2012 10:35 pm

hey guys i was in north vaan and checked out the collingwood tournament for the jrs pretty average tournament with point grey being one of the stronger teams.. i was watching 5/6th game which had cambie from richmond i think v a team from kelowna cambie destroyed the kids but the only reason i am mentioning this is has anyone heard of this Justin Dhillon Kid from Cambie he apperently finished the game with 53pts!! and it wasnt like he hogged the ball he was also distibuting the ball well other key player would be sam who plays drive but does Justin as well or ?? any info on this kid
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Jbooke

PostSubject: Re: Kwantlen/Pat Dooley Memorial Tournament   Sun Dec 09, 2012 1:00 am

Vancouver College over Pitt Meadows in triple overtime. Wow. Just wow. Two hard working, well coached teams battled their tails off for what felt like hours. Many players stepped up
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FVBasketballFan

PostSubject: Re: Kwantlen/Pat Dooley Memorial Tournament   Sun Dec 09, 2012 12:28 pm

Jbooke wrote:
Vancouver College over Pitt Meadows in triple overtime. Wow. Just wow. Two hard working, well coached teams battled their tails off for what felt like hours. Many players stepped up

Heard that it was a great battle. Pitt has been on fire lately, I'm sorry I missed that one!

Tamanawis also beat Heritage Woods in another close one.

After this weekend, I'd imagine Pitt will jump up quite a bit, Kits and Burnaby South will drop, and I think Heritage and Tamanawis are in good spots right now at 4 and 6 and they both played well in this tourney. Churchill also looked strong, and Van College will only get better when they get their full unit out - had a lot of players sit out this tourney. Maybe Tweedsmuir might sneak into the bottom of the Top 10 after winning their Pool as well.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Kwantlen/Pat Dooley Memorial Tournament   Today at 10:03 pm

Back to top Go down

Kwantlen/Pat Dooley Memorial Tournament
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1