HoopLife Forums

The opportunity to talk about issues affecting Canadian basketball from coast-to-coast

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Fraser Valley Results

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
AuthorMessage
DickVitale2013

PostSubject: Re: Fraser Valley Results   Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:51 am

Sim, Jesus and others, appreciate your objective insight of the game. Can see the passion runs through you for the love of the game. I wish there was more at the grassroots level to build the game in BC. The Cloverdale area will be a force to be reckoned with in the next generation as folks like ex-Saints coach Brian Lee is building up the game in the area at the grassroots level and the head coach of Tweed is one dedicated and passionate man. When you look at the better programs it's a combination of these factors. School admins need to open up the gyms in the summer and let these kids go to work as not all can afford playing AAU or BBC.

A tough day I'm sure for the losers yesterday especially Tweed, Tammy and Gleneagle that fluctuated in and out of Top 10 and HM. They're young teams who will make noise next year; however, the experience of playing AAAs would have paid dividends for them next season. I hope some of the graduates like the Tweeds guards get an opportunity to play CIS or CCAA. They love the game and I can't take it when their organized ball careers end when they play their last HS game. Good luck going forward gentlemen and keep grinding. Remember that failure is just another opportunity to get better.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Geddy

PostSubject: Re: Fraser Valley Results   Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:18 pm

Anything can happen at Provincials.

Last year, Vancouver College knocked the Number 1 seed out in the Quarter finals in one of the most strangest finishes I have ever seen. VC was up by 10 with 42 seconds to go, and still, Kelowna had an opportunity with 2 free throws to tie the game with 2 seconds left. VC was the better team that day all game long except for the final 42 seconds. Then, in a classic Semi final game on the Friday night, VC loses by 1 to eventual runner-up Walnut Grove in an absolute nail biter.

After finishing 6th in the Valleys, WRCA went into Provincials last year ranked 13th and had to play in the Tuesday play in day. I am sure St. George's was not too happy as the LM#1 last year to have to play White Rock in the round of 16. WRCA had already beaten them by 20 Plus earlier in the year. In one of the most memorable games I have seen, WRCA went up early by plus 20. Finally, with 3 seconds remaining, St. George's caught them with a long , long 3 on an inbounds play to send the game into OT. White Rock won the game by 1 with a layup with less than 5 seconds remaining in OT, but who can forget that St. George's ran the length of the court and their player was fouled with an attempting game winning lay-up with 1 second remaining. St. George's missed the 2 free throws that would have either tied , or won the game. WRCA went on to knock out #3 valley team Tammy in the Quarter finals, and lost by 6 or 7 to Terry Fox in an exciting semi final game on the Friday night.

Anything can happen at Provinicials, and usually something unpredictable does !
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FVBasketballFan

PostSubject: Re: Fraser Valley Results   Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:44 pm

The Cloverdale area will be a force to be reckoned with in the next generation as folks like ex-Saints coach Brian Lee is building up the game in the area at the grassroots level and the head coach of Tweed is one dedicated and passionate man.

This point stood out to me - What is Brian doing with grassroots basketball in Surrey/Cloverdale? Is he planning to take over the reigns of Tweedsmuir's basketball program?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JesusShuttlesworth

PostSubject: Re: Fraser Valley Results   Fri Mar 01, 2013 7:04 pm

Friday March 1 @ Langley Events Centre

Sardis 85 vs Terry Fox 69
Heard Hayden LeJeune of Sardis was a beast out there, too much for Fox.

Enver Creek 55 vs Pitt Meadows 43

WRCA 65 vs W.J. Mouat 49

Walnut Grove 86 vs Yale 68
Jadon Cohee put on a show putting up 39, Cohee and Jaquin Bennet-Boire arguably the 2 top guards in BC went at it going back and forth, but Grove was too much, Yale kept it close early but didn't have the horses to keep up with a great Grove squad.

Last edited by JesusShuttlesworth on Sat Mar 02, 2013 12:23 am; edited 4 times in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
fundamentals

PostSubject: grassroots basketball in cloverdale/surrey   Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:29 pm

This point stood out to me - What is Brian doing with grassroots basketball in Surrey/Cloverdale? Is he planning to take over the reigns of Tweedsmuir's basketball program?

Nothing to do with basketball at the high school level. Check out www.vancouversportsclub.ca to shine a light on the surrey/cloverdale angle. Check out the coaches involved and the regions involved: Burnaby; Cloverdale/Surrey; Coquitlam; and South Surrey.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
JLivingston

PostSubject: Re: Fraser Valley Results   Sat Mar 02, 2013 2:10 am

Wrca vs Walnut:

I expect grove to take the fv title. Everyone at LEC today would agree that MVP this year will be Jadon. The starters were missing so many easy shots in the 1st qtr and foul line they were terrible. Whoever came off bench today were horrendous but jadon, Getz and myorga were working like as if there is no tomorrow. All the three deserves all star. From Yale, bennet is a powerhouse who can create shots for himself easily and can score any time he wants. With him, pancratz and Gill, they can beat any one out side of grove.

Mouat warming up for the dance and they will be a force to reckon with in March. They are peaking.

Wrca is asusual just playing their team game. Never seen any team passes the ball so many times. Good fundamental plays all the time.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DickVitale2013

PostSubject: Re: Fraser Valley Results   Sat Mar 02, 2013 2:12 am

Brian Lee is doing something I love along along with all the other LMD grassroot programs showing that there are great alternatives for young kids besides hockey. These programs are so important, because it's tremendously difficult to build a basketball player for the first time in Grade 8. If it wasn't for these programs where would we be in this Province. Lee is filling in some corridors where here has been a void.

Great ball today at LEC, Enver Creek is peaking at the right time as well as Sardis. Mouat put up a good fight for a while with WRCA, had the game within 5 points midway through 3rd until WR started knocking down 3s and pulled away. WRCA always smooth, resilient and poised. Play well as a team. Coach Allen has returned as the bench boss. Walnut got down by 10 or so at one point in 1st quarter then went on a huge run in the second and Yale could not keep pace. Mayorga and Getz were monsters on both sides of the glass. Say want you want about whose who, but Cohee is a big time player in big games and that speaks for itself. He couldn't be contained with an arsenal of moves and passes. Nice big crowd today with lots of supporters and CIS coaches. Someone tell LEC to play better music. Fans were getting a headache with the excessively loud heavy metal music.

Good Luck tomorrow to all.

Last edited by DickVitale2013 on Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:48 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TightD

PostSubject: Re: Fraser Valley Results   Sat Mar 02, 2013 5:34 am

Missed Sardis Fox game so no comment. Thought Enver Creek looked solid in beating a Pitt Meadows team that looked clinically efficient in beating Tammy the night before. You have to love watching Seb Marshall play.

Regarding White Rock/Mouat. As mentioned earlier WRCA's passing is fantastic and definitely a favourite at the BC's. Cory Hauck another of those grade 11's had a good game and constantly gave WRCA trouble. He had a late game spill and seemed to be limping after the game. For Mouat to really challenge the top teams they are going to have to get a better effort from Tristan Ettiene. Plays a very good defensive game but offensively.......6 points against Tammy earlier this week and about 8 to 10 points against WRCA. He should be putting up 15-20 points a game in his sleep

Walnut/Yale. What a treat watching Boire and Jadon. Cohee took the bull by the horns and displayed his wide variety of talents with Boire answering back with his explosive drives to the hoop. Have to appreciate all the things Mayorga brings to the table...great work ethic and continually getting a timely rebound or basket. Walnut is deep. He wouldn't have changed the outcome of the game but i think Yale really misses team BC player Baadsvik.who has been out for weeks now and looks to be gone for the season.

Music is too loud...tough when you can't converse with the person next to you

Should be some great basketball tm. Walnut trying to avenge earlier losses to WRCA and the hometown rivalry of Yale and Mouat.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
hoopking1

PostSubject: Good Games last night   Sat Mar 02, 2013 1:58 pm

I saw the Yale and Walnut Grove game last night, Cohee was very impressive, Boire was a scorer but can't play a lick of D or pass. Cohee was the class last night. I think that Yale blew it by not putting the shooter, #5, not in the game at the end.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
loveofthegame

PostSubject: Re: Fraser Valley Results   Sat Mar 02, 2013 2:12 pm

I thought the turning point was when Walnut went 1-3-1 zone it gave Yale lots of problems. Same thing happened when those two teams played league championships when Grove went into the 1-3-1 zone Yale really struggled to run any kind of offence and Grove built the lead.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JrCoachS

PostSubject: Re: Fraser Valley Results   Sat Mar 02, 2013 2:42 pm

Love watching Mayorga play. Has that quiet confidence that all great players have. Nothing bothers him and he will make a great CIS pick up for some one.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
hoopking1

PostSubject: I agree   Sat Mar 02, 2013 2:44 pm

That zone killed Yale and they could not adapt. The lack of D in trying to stop Grove hurt also, Grove had way too many easy baskets. At the beginning of the game, it was a shared offence by Yale, they took #5 out of the game by not making him a part of the offence. I loved watching WRCA, saw Scott Allen coaching, strange that they coaches TWU and his school also.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DickVitale2013

PostSubject: Re: Fraser Valley Results   Sat Mar 02, 2013 3:38 pm

So right about Mayorga, tough as nails, and he's the kind of player every coach wishes they could have as he's willing to do anything that it takes to win. I hope CIS schools aren't sleeping on this kid; he's truly maybe the best senior graduate this year and can instantly be an impact on any university roster. Getz is another unsung hero, consistently goes about his business and has great impact on the game especially doing little things. Their guard Shin has to be one of the fastest players in BC and if he wasn't so unselfish he would be a consistent explosive scorer. They're a good team all around like WRCA playing as group and getting everyone buying in and understanding their role. This should be an unbelievable clash tonight where the smallest thing might be the difference.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MagicMan

PostSubject: Re: Fraser Valley Results   Sat Mar 02, 2013 4:04 pm

The one attribute I admire about the White Rock team is their resiliency. They are going into the game tonight as the clear underdog. In their last 25 games, they are 24-1 so continue to play very well. Talk on this board and talk in the newspapers have them as the underdog. I think it is a role they like to be in. No star players, just a solid team that plays very well together. WG is similar, but they do get more press, more hype (deservedly so as they are a very good team).

WG looks to be playing their best ball of the season right now. It looks to me like Yale was able to slow them down when they went to a zone, then they would mix it up and go man to man and WG exploited it. Key to beating WG is limiting transition points, slow them down, and Yale just seemed a little too slow last night and unable to set the pace (with the exception of Benoit who I think is the best offensive player in the province today).
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JesusShuttlesworth

PostSubject: Re: Fraser Valley Results   Sat Mar 02, 2013 7:29 pm

(7th/8th)
Terry Fox 60 vs Pitt Meadows 57
POG: Nic Hughes, Terry Fox and Jordan Rich, Pitt Meadows

(5th/6th)
Sardis 70 vs Enver Creek 57
POG: Hayden Lejeune, Sardis and Rajan Gill, Enver Creek

(3rd/4th)
Yale 77 vs WJ Mouat 48
POG: Jasdeep Gill, Yale and Tristan Etienne, WJ Mouat

(1st/2nd)
Walnut Grove 73 vs WRCA 64
POG: Sam Shin, Walnut Grove and Tyus Allen, WRCA
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JesusShuttlesworth

PostSubject: Re: Fraser Valley Results   Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:21 am

AAA Fraser Valley Championship

Final Standings
1. Walnut Grove
2. WRCA
3. Yale
4. WJ Mouat
5. Sardis
6. Enver Creek
7. Terry Fox
8. Pitt Meadows

MVP
Jadon Cohee, Walnut Grove

1st Allstar Team
Josh Mayorga, Walnut Grove
Tyus Allen, White Rock Christian
Jauquin Bennett Boire, Yale
Sam Shin, Walnut Grove
Vartan Tanelian, White Rock Christian

2nd Allstar Team
Hayden Lejeune, Sardis
Corey Hauck, W.J. Mouat
J.J. Pankratz, Yale
Jasdeep Gill, Yale
Sam Ykema, White Rock Christian

Last edited by JesusShuttlesworth on Sun Mar 03, 2013 2:24 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sim

PostSubject: Re: Fraser Valley Results   Sun Mar 03, 2013 1:29 am

BC's should be good. My predictions for tomorrow:

1.WG
8.Burnaby South
9.Enver Creek
16.Churchill/Okanagan

2.WRCA
7.Sardis
10.St.George's
15.Burnaby Mountain

3.Kits
6.Mouat
11.Claremont
14.Pitt

4.Yale
5.Oak Bay
12.Terry Fox
13.Handsworth
Back to top Go down
View user profile
basketballfan1

PostSubject: Re: Fraser Valley Results   Sun Mar 03, 2013 2:15 am

I thought there were 20 teams in the tournament. My predictions are:

1. WG (FV#1)
2. Kits (LM#1)
3. WRCA (FV#2)
4. Yale (FV#3)
5. Claremont (VI#1)
6. Mouat (FV#4)
7. Burnaby South (LM#2)
8. St Georges (LM#3)
9. Sardis (FV#5)
10. Oak Bay (VI#2)
11. Handsworth (Howe Sound)
12. Enver Creek (FV#6)
13. Burnaby Mountain (LM#4)
14. Terry Fox (LM#7)
15. Churchill (LM#5)
16. Pitt Meadows (FV#Cool
17. TBD (Okanagan)
18. Caledonia (North West)
19. Mount Baker (Kootenay)
20. TBD (North Central)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Pooch

PostSubject: Re: Fraser Valley Results   Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:56 am

Saint's one point loss to a hot shooting South has made them the elephant in the room in my opinion.
Their record over the past 6 weeks or so has been among the very best. Win over White Rock, big win over Oak Bay, blowout wins in the LM tournament.
I like that team, and in my opinion they are one of the teams that can win it all along with WG, WRCA and Kits.
Churchill is another team that will cause draw problems. They are about #8 in reality, but have to be seeded near the bottom.
My ranking of the top teams:
WG, Kits, Saints, WRCA, Yale, South, Mouat, Churchill, Oak Bay and the rest.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Baseline

PostSubject: Re: Fraser Valley Results   Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:44 pm

So now we know exactly where Yale stands. A very talented team that ran up against a much deeper squad in WG both during conference play offs and in the FV tourney. They have the potential to take it all but need to adjust their game to match the intensity of teams such as WRCA and WG. I must admit to being surprised by the WG win as WRCA matches up really well against WG and the WRCA coaching staff usually has an answer for anything that WG throws at them. Props to WG who should be the #1 seed for the Provs. Politics being as they are, Kits will likely be #2 followed by WRCA even though WRCA deserves the #2 slot. After that, all bets are off. At the end of the day, this is shaping up to be an outstanding tournament with 5 or 6 teams that could win it all on any given night.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Geddy

PostSubject: Re: Fraser Valley Results   Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:52 pm

Congrats to WG on a well deserved win last night against WRCA.

A great effort by an injury/ flu riddled Warrior team as 3 starters last night were battling the flu bug , sprained ankle and sprained wrist. Love to see these teams play against each other when everyone is healthy. Ten days to get right should benefit this Warrior squad.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DickVitale2013

PostSubject: Re: Fraser Valley Results   Sun Mar 03, 2013 2:10 pm

One thing I can't stand is folks making up excuses when they lose and "surprised WG beat them". On this night and weekend WG was the better team. When they lost two to WR in very close games including double o/t I didn't see them making excuses. In both games against WR and Yale, WG had near 20 point leads against top teams. As I've said before WRCA is as poised and resilient team that there is and came back from being down 17 in the 3rd when WG looked like they were about to run away with it. But WG took a page out of their text book and dominated the crucial 4th quarter. Theses teams will all have a chance to improve and get ready for the Provincials, but clearly WG has been playing the best basketball and "not think" they will be the #1 seed and have to live with that target on their back and I'll tell you all that their last second loss last year in the championship game will be their driving force. It's not a statistic, something tangible but something they'll have inside of them and which they have been displaying. That game last night was a thrilling game with great team and individual play and I only expect the same a AAAs.

Kits is the #1 LM and beat WRCA twice so why should there be politics as deservedly they will be #2. As of today there are 5 teams that are clear favourites and the eventually winners will be decided on the floor. I expect the favourites to make the semis with one moving onto the consolation side.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MagicMan

PostSubject: Re: Fraser Valley Results   Sun Mar 03, 2013 2:41 pm

Agree with you.

Yet, it is still prevalent. Even Howard writes frequently this season about how Kitsilano has been ravaged by a hardy flu bug that hit midseason and hung arouund (reason they had a poor January). Coach Coutts is too eager to share this as the reason his team was losing games in January.

Game is played on the court with whoever is able to play on that day. Injuries are part of the game and that is why most teams have 12-15 players.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JesusShuttlesworth

PostSubject: Re: Fraser Valley Results   Sun Mar 03, 2013 3:05 pm

Agreed.. Injuries are part of the game that every team has to deal with, should never be an excuse, injuries should never affect rankings, only wins or losses should. Walnut Grove is the best team going into Provincials, should be no discussion on that after last night, they showed up and Won. Should be another great March this year, Semi-finals I'd love to see Walnut Grove-Yale and WRCA-Kits setting up another Grove-WRCA match-up for all the marbles.
Grove is rolling, they have arguably the best player in Cohee, great glue guys in Mayorga and Shin, outstanding outside shooting with Derton and Hoffman and a great bench, that banner will go through Gator Nation this year if another team wants it they will have to pry it from the Groves grip.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JLivingston

PostSubject: Re: Fraser Valley Results   Sun Mar 03, 2013 3:09 pm

Agreed totally with Dick Vitale. Even WRCA players and their coaches would disapprove Geddy's lame excuses.

Humble in victory and gracious in defeat.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Fraser Valley Results   Today at 1:00 am

Back to top Go down

Fraser Valley Results
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 6 of 7Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next