HoopLife Forums

The opportunity to talk about issues affecting Canadian basketball from coast-to-coast

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

New Rankings-Boys

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Aball

PostSubject: New Rankings-Boys   Sun Jan 06, 2013 3:28 pm

LCI over OByrne yesterday. There goes the #1 ranking. LCI obviously moves up from #10 in the province. Now who deserves the #1 spot???
Back to top Go down
View user profile
localhoopfan

PostSubject: Re: New Rankings-Boys   Sun Jan 06, 2013 4:42 pm

Churchill had one horrible game vs O'Byrne but I still believe they are still the #1 team. I still think Grandin will be there at the end. Cardston sounds like they are winning regularly so they should get some consideration. But overall there appears to be some pretty decent parity though out the province.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: New Rankings-Boys   Sun Jan 06, 2013 4:52 pm

Did LCI play SWC on Saturday after the BOB game?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Aball

PostSubject: Re: New Rankings-Boys   Sun Jan 13, 2013 3:22 pm

New rankings come out next week and I found some interesting results on the Bedford Road tourney site. Looks like OByrne lost 2 of 3. St. Francis Xavier lost to Garden City by 30 but then won the next two. Churchill won four straight to win the champioship. "britbasketball.net"

My new rankings:
1.Churchill
2.Cardston
3.J.P.
4.Grandin
5.LCI
6.Francis Xavier
7.OByrne
8.Oleary
9.Medicine Hat
10.St Marys

Am I missing anyone???
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: New Rankings-Boys   Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:20 am

Jasper Place can't be ahead of St FX since they've lost to them twice. I do think SWC is the best team but Cardston hasn't lost yet and were ranked higher. They have to lose to lose their place so I see them staying higher. Winston Churchill has only lost one game to a ranked team so I think they deserve a top 10 place.

1.Cardston
2.Churchill
3.Grandin
4.LCI
5.OByrne
6.Francis Xavier
7.J.P.
8.St Marys
9.Medicine Hat
10. Winston Churchill
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bballspirit

PostSubject: Re: New Rankings-Boys   Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:07 pm

Winston Churchill in the top ten, I don't think so. They have not beat or played anyone in the top 15 all year. Their wins are against 3A competiton. You are missing Oleary from your top ten. Med Hat is an HM at best, only 1 quality win against a Shep team which is rebuilding this year and bad losses to SWC and Oleary. Should we rank every team from the south in the top ten??? Let's see how Cardston does away from the home confines against the top teams in the province. Does anyone know when Cardston is planning on playing some tough competition against ranked teams from Edm or Calgary? ie the Mike Dea, the Tri-prov, Oleary Shootout, BOB tourny, Shep Totem, JP etc... ??? And yes I am aware that Cardston won the provincials last year- on their home court( just noting). It just seems that so many of their wins come against south teams(3 vs LCI i think). I am not saying they are not good( they clearly are one of the top teams) I would just like to get to see them play up in Edmonton. 18- 0 is pretty impressive.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: New Rankings-Boys   Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:41 pm

Yes they scheduled and have played some 3A teams but Winston Churchill's only loss is a close one to LCI who beat BOB in Calgary who is currently ranked #1. Just because the south isn't playing in Calgary or Edmonton all the time doesn't mean there isn't some good ball being played down here. One of the biggest differences between the south and the city teams is the 40 minute full court press to extend margins of victory. A good argument could be made for depth but a solid win should be a solid win in anyone's books. It doesn't have to be a 50 point game to make it impressive.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Aball

PostSubject: Re: New Rankings-Boys   Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:40 pm

Ok some debate-I like it!! I think you have to take the quality of the teams played as well as just the record. If Cardston is 18-0 then they should be top three but I agree that they have not played any top teams except LCI. SWC, Grandin, Xavier, and OByrne have all played tougher schedules. I'm not sure if JP has played anyone great, other than Xavier. SWC just won the BRIT tournament with wins against the top ranked teams from Sask and Manitoba. This schedule make them #1 in my book.

1.SWC
2.Cardston
3.Grandin
4.Xavier
5.LCI
6.JP
7.OByrne
8.Med Hat
9.St Marys
10.???? Toss up but not Winston Churchill!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Aball

PostSubject: Re: New Rankings-Boys   Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:47 pm

OOPS! Forgot Oleary!

1.Churchill
2.Cardston
3.Grandin
4.Xavier
5.LCI
6.Oleary
7.JP
8.OByrne
9.Med Hat
10. St Marys
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: New Rankings-Boys   Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:55 pm

I agree that Winston Churchill doesn't have the quality wins despite only 1 loss but you have to appreciate the scheduling issues. They play Cardston tomorrow which will say a lot about the team. If they win and continue to win they have to be considered in the mid February ranking.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bballspirit

PostSubject: Re: New Rankings-Boys   Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:29 pm

If they beat Cardston then they will definitely be a ranked team,
Back to top Go down
View user profile
southball

PostSubject: Nope   Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:24 pm

Winston Churchill won't beat Cardston tomorrow. As promising as WC may be, they just don't have the depth to compete with top 10 teams. Only one loss to a top ten team, but how many top ten teams have they played. Their loss came to LCI by 15. They've only played Raymond and Magrath otherwise in league. They won both but Raymond and Magrath are both fairly weak. So ya tomorrow should say alot about where they are at. could be top 5 in the south but won't be top ten in prov. I don't think.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: New Rankings-Boys   Wed Jan 16, 2013 5:01 pm

Lets see what unfolds for next ranking with Winston Churchill. Obviously a lot will depend on the out come of the game tonight. For this ranking, looking at scores a little bit more carefully I think Grandin could actually take top spot but I still say Cardston should be there based on the fact that they haven't lost yet. Here is my last best guess:

1. Cardston
2. Bishop Grandin
3. Sir Winston Churchill
4. Francis Xavier
5. J.P.
6. Oleary
7. LCI
8. Medicine Hat
9. OByrne
10. Catholic Central

HM Foothills, St Marys, Notre Dame, Harry Ainlay, Winston Churchill

If Harry Ainlay gets in the top 10 after being trounced by JP and Cardston twice(once by 42!) and losing to Ross Sheppard who has lost to Foothills, LCI, Medicine Hat, Edmonton Christian among others, I'm calling foul. On all of Edmonton.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Aball

PostSubject: Re: New Rankings-Boys   Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:41 pm

I'm going to have to disagree. Any real ranking system takes in the strength of a schedule and not just wins and losses. Grandin has only one loss but they have not had a tough schedule at all. If we went with straight wins and losses then everyone would play 2A and 3A teams whenever they could, much like Paul kane is doing.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
unregistered user

PostSubject: Re: New Rankings-Boys   Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:59 pm

12321 wrote:
Lets see what unfolds for next ranking with Winston Churchill. Obviously a lot will depend on the out come of the game tonight. For this ranking, looking at scores a little bit more carefully I think Grandin could actually take top spot but I still say Cardston should be there based on the fact that they haven't lost yet. Here is my last best guess:

1. Cardston
2. Bishop Grandin
3. Sir Winston Churchill
4. Francis Xavier
5. J.P.
6. Oleary
7. LCI
8. Medicine Hat
9. OByrne
10. Catholic Central

HM Foothills, St Marys, Notre Dame, Harry Ainlay, Winston Churchill

If Harry Ainlay gets in the top 10 after being trounced by JP and Cardston twice(once by 42!) and losing to Ross Sheppard who has lost to Foothills, LCI, Medicine Hat, Edmonton Christian among others, I'm calling foul. On all of Edmonton.

Why would you put LCI in the top 10 and not Ainlay? I am pretty sure LCI has lost to Ainlay not once but twice in this ranking period. Here are my picks.

1. Sir Winston Churchill
2. Cardston
3. Bishop Grandin
4. Francis Xavier
5. J.P.
6. Oleary
7. obyrne
8. Ainlay
9. LCI
10. Med Hat

Back to top Go down
View user profile
southball

PostSubject: underestimated   Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:10 am

I underestimated WC. They are a strong ball team and played Cardston tough tonight. They might not be quite as skilled as Cardston or LCI but they are big and tough and work hard every play. I'm not sure about top ten but certainly I think they'd be an HM team.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: New Rankings-Boys   Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:15 am

southball - Thank you! Close game tonight. Missed a good opportunity. Maybe next time.

unregistered user - looking back at it you're right. Realistically they have to be ahead of LCI and top 10. And Grandin was ahead of Cardston and didn't lose in this ranking time frame so they have to be ahead of Cardston.

This is my last guess. For real.

1. Bishop Grandin
2. Cardston
3. Sir Winston Churchill
4. St. Francis Xavier
5. J.P.
6. Oleary
7. HA
8. LCI
9. Medicine Hat
10. OByrne

HM Catholic Central, Foothills, St Marys, Notre Dame, Winston Churchill
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: New Rankings-Boys   Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:38 pm

Made the trip to Cardston last night to see how good WC is .Have to agree with southball and 12321. WC is a tough team that plays a tough 1-3-1 Defense. Took Cardston some time to figure what to do, they were not shooting the ball like I have seen in the past, but got there. Seems like Cardston has lost intensity for some reason. They play LCI tough and then forget about the rest of the league. One thing I did notice was that Cardston plays the whole bench every game,( Watched them at the LCI tourney and the Raymond Sugar Bowl ) no matter the score or the toughness of the game. In the long run that will make them a better team as a whole when it comes down to the stretch. No floaters off the JV team either. They do belong in the top 3 but not number 1 right now. The game got pretty physical last night and Cardston has to learn to be more physical if they want to compete in the top 5. One other thing was that when you get both home and away fans screaming at the refs and the coaches both are having a hard time trying to figure out the reffing, you know that it is bad both ways. WC coach ended up getting a T at the end of the game and I think both coaches were frustrated at the end of the game cause they didnt know what was going to be called and what was not.
Back to top Go down
Ominous

PostSubject: Re: New Rankings-Boys   Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:09 am

I have coach and watched basketball all over the province and I must agree that Southern Alberta is the most frusterating in terms of officiating. In Calgary, the tendency is to allow a lot of contact in the midcourt but call a lot under the hoop. In Edmonton, midcourt contact is quickly called and they tend to allow more contact in the paint. However, the south is very random given the night. I can understand the frustration from the WC and Cardston coaches.

Several years ago, Raymond could beat the hell out of everyone, physically, but others could not. Carston seems to be less physical. There needs to be some consistancy in the officiating from them.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: New Rankings-Boys   Sat Jan 19, 2013 2:59 pm

12321 wrote:

1. Bishop Grandin
2. Cardston
3. Sir Winston Churchill
4. St. Francis Xavier
5. J.P.
6. Oleary
7. HA
8. LCI
9. Medicine Hat
10. OByrne

HM Catholic Central, Foothills, St Marys, Notre Dame, Winston Churchill

100% on the top 10 and 14 out of 15.

Should be 15 out of 15.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Aball

PostSubject: Re: New Rankings-Boys   Sat Jan 19, 2013 6:00 pm

Was able to watch LCI at the Hat last night. LCI probably deserves to be ranked higher. They are playing solid ball right now.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Aball

PostSubject: Re: New Rankings-Boys   Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:50 pm

As I watch MedicineHat lose to Cardston by 23 last night I question what they are doing in the provincial top ten? I know that Ainley has beat LCI a couple of times in weak tournaments but everyone knows that LCI is a much superior team now that they are all healthy. Does anyone believe that Ross Shep should be a HM? How does Xavier stay at #4 when they lost by "30" in their last tournament. Does Obyrne deserve to fall nine spots from a couple of losses when other teams don't move at all. Grandin at #1 just confuses me based on the strenghth of their schedule. Cardston is 18-0 and they don't get the #1 spot. My question is are the rankers paying any attention to what is really happening or do they just sit down and divide the spots up so that all of their areas are represented and that all will get a chance at an extra spot at the provincial champioships? Do we need a ranking system that does not use coaches who all have their own agendas?
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: New Rankings-Boys   Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:29 pm

I don't think the rankers see very many of the teams. They have to go by the games - wins, losses, and the comparable wins and losses. I would hope the point differences aren't used as I see that as a huge problem with this ranking system, especially when it comes to one team's starters full court pressing with a 40 point lead against the opponents bench.

If Grandin is ranked #2 and doesn't lose and the #1 team loses they are going to be #1. Same applies to Cardston going from #3 to #2 or LCI moving ahead of BOB. If your team wants to move up, you need to beat teams ahead of you or hope that teams ahead of you lose to teams behind you.

It gets messy when, in the ranking timeframe, BOB beats Carston and SWC and loses to Grandin and LCI. Cardston beats LCI and Grandin and then loses to BOB and SWC. LCI loses to Cardston and SWC but beats BOB and Grandin. Throw in a few comparable losses or wins against a team from another province or from 3A or from unranked or un-HM teams and it gets even worse.

I'm going to say that the rankings this time are dead on accurate based on the previous ranking and the scores within the time frame involved . Except for the HMs.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ITCANTBETRUE

PostSubject: New Rankings Boys - disappointing   Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:27 pm

Let's be completely honest here the rankings are not dead on accurate. I don't want to shoot the messenger as I understand what you are trying to say but it just justifies a flawed system and I'm sorry but I find it insulting to anyone who is truly in tuned with Boys basketball in our province. We do need to remove the bias in this process as ABALL posted earlier and I don't know the coaches involved in the ranking process but we have to do better than this. We alll know Grandin is not the number 1 team in our province and I am sorry all my South supporters either is Cardston. We may not like them but SWC is by a "wide margin" the best team in the province this year. I am a fan of what Cardston is able to do year after year and would say they are a clear number 2 right now then after that I think all us other schools are very close. I also do not agree with BOB dropping all the way to 9th. Hey I open to other opinions but in my view these rankings are meaningless.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: New Rankings-Boys   Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:13 pm

ITCANTBETRUE - Judging from all your SWC-centric posts, you're obviously a player/coach/parent from SWC and feel a little hard done by. I honestly don't know anyone who "doesn't like" your team. No need to paint yourself a martyr.

I agree its a flawed system but the only case for SWC actually being ranked #1, even if they are the best team, is if they don't lose. They did lose so they aren't. If they don't lose again and Grandin and Cardston don't lose again, they will never be #1. Its the same way rankings work all over North America. Rankers can't see all the teams and have to go by the results. The results show SWC losing to BOB by 13 points for their only loss on the year. Grandin also lost to BOB, by 12 points, in their only loss of the year so in the first ranking Grandin gets ranked above them. Cardston hasn't lost and has a better argument that they should have been #1 in the first ranking and subsequently should have been #1 in the second ranking. BOB lost twice to teams lower than them who didn't lose to anyone lower than them so those 2 teams are now higher than BOB. SWC won the BRIT tournament which is impressive but the comparisons to teams in this province are difficult. If SWC wanted to get meaningful games that went towards their ranking, they should have signed up for the Sugarbowl or the Cardston Touranment or LCI Green and Gold with games that can be compared rather than heading out of province.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New Rankings-Boys   Today at 10:03 pm

Back to top Go down

New Rankings-Boys
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next