HoopLife Forums

The opportunity to talk about issues affecting Canadian basketball from coast-to-coast

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

New Rankings-Boys

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Aball

PostSubject: Re: New Rankings-Boys   Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:00 pm

OK, first off being a southern boy, and using 12321's thinking of straight wins and losses, then Cardston has to be ranked #1! Also, I notice that in one post 12321 says he hopes the rankers don't use points as a ranking tool and yet justifies Grandins #1 ranking by saying they lost by one point less than Churchill. You are making as much sense as the rankers are. If your theory of staright wins and losses is correct than both teams have one loss and you compare the strenghth of their schedules. Every league in North America does that. Also, the idea that a tournament like BRIT is not important is just plain uninformed. It is such a tough tournament that no Alberta team has won it in the past decade. If you attended the three southern tournaments like I did, and have any basketball knowledge, you would know they were the weakest they have been in years. The ranking committee has to know and understand these things or they should not be ranking.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: New Rankings-Boys   Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:37 pm

I do believe Cardston should be ranked #1. They should have been ahead of Grandin in the first ranking and should have been #1 in the second. I also saw many of those games and I agree that the overall play was much weaker than in past years but there were still some solid teams. The BRIT tournament win was very, very impressive (note the extra emphasis this time) and I also believe that SWC is the best team in the province as I have said before on this forum.

But...based on the scores on the ASAA basketball rankings site which is what is being used to rank teams, the rankers got it right. There is no other way to rank them based on the information and I looked at every score for every possible team. I would be shocked if they took the time to put together a SOS algorithm to assess teams and any rankings after the first set have to be based on the previous set to some degree. I just can't see it any other way.

I will continue to complain that WC isn't at least an HM and how Ross Shepard can be there in their place with 10 losses, but until they can win the big games against the ranked teams they probably don't deserve it and I get that and accept it. If SWC wants to be ranked #1, its simple - beat the teams ahead of you.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
southball

PostSubject: end of year   Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:44 pm

I think by the end of the year WC will be ranked and Hat High will be out of top ten. Seeing both teams I think that WC will win that matchup and will be the third seed in the south zone. Perhaps it is just taking some time for the rankers to see WC as they played 3A last year and were in the deep south league the year before that. But, what justifies the Hat High ranking? Who have they played and who have they beat to justify a top ten? They must have played well in some tourneys because nothing they have done in league justifies their top ten. Beat up on 4 very weak teams and then lost to LCI and Cardston. WC should be motivated to take on Hat High and CCH. I believe they are better than both of these teams.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ITCANTBETRUE

PostSubject: System is still flawed    Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:57 pm

No 12321 - 45678 I have no direct SWC affiliation but I am from Calgary and have gotten a chance to see many of the Calgary teams develop over the past couple of years. Look I'm not going to make this into a big deal and this will be my last post on this topic. The system is flawed and I think we need to factor in to some extent strength of schedules.

Congrates to BG on number one ranking well deserved I guess???
Cardston great team think you and SWC will be fighting for a prov championship - I will be routing for the Calgary team - Sorry
SWC I won't comment as 12321 believes I may have some bias here
BOB no way should be nine

Lastly we spend a lot of time talking about the south why is that???? Sorry forget that last comment

[quote="12321"]ITCANTBETRUE - Judging from all your SWC-centric posts, you're obviously a player/coach/parent from SWC and feel a little hard done by. I honestly don't know anyone who "doesn't like" your team. No need to paint yourself a martyr.

Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: New Rankings-Boys   Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:15 pm

Medicine Hat High managed to get into the first ranking because they beat Ross Sheppard who beat some other teams like HA. I haven't seen them play yet but their roster sounds strong although I know they got pummeled by SWC at the SFI tournament final earlier in the year in Calgary. They did get to the final over a couple decent Calgary Div 1 teams who sport winning league records. Since then, Ross Sheppard has gone on a big losing streak while Medicine Hat has gone on a big winning streak other than the LCI game, albeit against teams not in the top 10 or HM but once you get ranked its hard to drop out without losing and losing to teams below you. I really can't understand how Ross Sheppard is still an HM with so many losses to so many unranked teams.

WC's next 3 games are absolutely key if they want get ahead of CCHS and MHH. MHH has the same schedule and CHHS has 2 of their next 4 games with those same match ups. CCHS has lost 5 games - to Bishop Grandin, LCI, BOB, Paul Kane and Cochrane. All the games were close except the BOB game and MHH has lost 4, all to 4A ranked teams. WC has lost only 2, both to ranked teams. Another loss for CCHS to either MHH or WC would drop them out of an HM. MHH has to win the Medicine Hat Tournament next week, which they should be favoured to do, and of course they have to beat WC to stay in the top 10. That draw off the Crescent Heights Medicine Hat web site shows it is primarily a top 10 3A tournament with a few very good teams so it won't necessarily be a cake walk for them. All 3 teams should be motivated to do well in games against each other but I do think WC should claim that 3rd seed in the south and they should replace both MHH & CCHS in the top 10 and/or HM.

Some big games ahead after the semester break.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Handles

PostSubject: SWC loses to Ghosts in Top Dog Tournament.   Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:19 am

Why did SWC lose?
Adonis shutdown. Guinto too many turnovers. Emmett again off his game. Amrit injured. Valdes is only a 0.5 shooter. Scott lacked his passion. Adonis too tired. Yang gave good effort.

Why did Ghosts win?
Strong team all around.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
justafan

PostSubject: Re: New Rankings-Boys   Sun Feb 03, 2013 3:22 am

I just saw the game Grandin vs SWC. Adonis was shut down by Hartley (I think). Great overall defense by Grandin. That is why they are #1, I guess. Grandin had one big guy out (Peters) one other post in foul trouble all game (Jackson) the other post was cut in the face and missed more than a quarter. Quite impressive. Kudos to Grandin.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
hoopitup

PostSubject: Re: New Rankings-Boys   Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:37 am

What was the score?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
thinkaboutit

PostSubject: Grandin over SWC   Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:32 pm

Grandin deserves #1. Final was 55- 48, Grandin was ahead by at least 10 points for most of the game. Not sure if Palomino was having a bad game or just doesn't have the skill and discipline compared to Hartley (#4) and Daniel (#21). SWC didn't even try to adjust their game. Surprised that Palomino played the entire game, sure didn't add any skill to the game. Congrats Grandin.

Other interesting games; Western just squeaked by Catholic Central.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bballspirit

PostSubject: Re: New Rankings-Boys   Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:15 pm

Does anyone know whoi won the BOB tourny? Was it BOB vs Cardston in the final?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
localhoopfan

PostSubject: Re: New Rankings-Boys   Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:11 pm

Looks like Cardston by 1 over BOB in the final. Game reviews at the link below.

http://www.cssd.ab.ca/bishopobyrne/2013-bobcat-bowl/sr-game-reviews/
Back to top Go down
View user profile
concerned

PostSubject: Re: New Rankings-Boys   Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:07 pm

All due respect to those of you commenting on the skill of Palomino and Cook. It's easy to be critical of these young athletes from the stands. I would challenge you to get off your butt and do what they do day in and day out with the pressure to play this game error free each game,
study hard to keep their grades at a certain level, give up those morning sleep in's to shoot hundreds of baskets before your even out of bed! Sacrifice a normal summer so they can train at basketball camps to improve their skills in hopes to get noticed by post secondary scouts with the pressure of knowing they will be competing against thousands of other kids for scholarship funds. Their dedication and hard work can not go un noticed and I appreciate their skill and effort. Palomino is one of the best out there and beautiful to watch carry that ball and command the court the way he does. Cook well he is just plain awesome at what he does out on that court, lets see you hit a three pointer???? I am just saying lets not be critical. Grandin obviously a talented team. GO BULL DOGS!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: New Rankings-Boys   Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:55 pm

Concerned. You're actually Over Concerned. They'll take bumps and bruises and get called names. Loosen the apron strings. They'll figure it out. If they are indeed as good as advertised, it will get a lot worse than this. If they aren't, it will all disappear soon enough and you can rest at ease.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
tyronnebaxter

PostSubject: Re: New Rankings-Boys   Tue Feb 05, 2013 2:46 pm

Emmett Cook is not a good basketball player at all. I don't understand why you think he is so amazing
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Handles

PostSubject: SWC   Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:13 pm

Palomino and Cook are good but over rated. Palomino gets frustrated easily and needs time outs through out the game to keep calm headed. So when he doesn't get the breaks he fails. Cook is a good 3 point shooter but lacks consistency. Valdes too softy and at best makes 30% of his shots.
Hartley is overall a much stronger, powerhouse guard and he shutdown Palomino. Newcomer grade 10 Amrit is a much more physically stronger guard.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
No one

PostSubject: Re: New Rankings-Boys   Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:43 pm

I've been saying since the beginning of the season that Grandin is the best team in Calgary and I never understood why people did not give Grandin the respect that they deserve. Churchill is good no doubt about it, but Grandin is a much more mature and poised team. I know people are praising Hartley for his defensive job on Palomino, but I also believe that people should also give credit to Brayden Daniels for his team's success.

And to add to the discussion on Cook (Not attempting to be disrespectful), I have always believed that Cook does not have the athleticism (quickness) or shot creating ability to play SG at the next level. I have also noticed that he has lost some of his vertical explosiveness since last year and his shot is not falling at the moment. However, we will see if he picks up his game as the season progresses.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
hoops4all

PostSubject: Re: New Rankings-Boys   Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:18 pm

Heard that Grandin almost lost tonight to Ernest Manning and the only reason they pulled out the win was that Ellis was injured and didnt finish the game. Anyone see it?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
No one

PostSubject: Re: New Rankings-Boys   Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:50 pm

I was present at that game and their first match up. (Higher Hoops) Manning seems to give Grandin trouble for some reason. However, Grandin was already pulling away before Ellis was injured. It is interesting as Manning seems to have trouble with other top teams. (Such as their match ups with Bishop McNally)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Handles

PostSubject: Re: New Rankings-Boys   Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:51 pm

Just looked at the CHSSA website, Churchill lost to St Francis that is an upset. SWC obviously was over-rated at the beginning of the season.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
thinkaboutit

PostSubject: Re: New Rankings-Boys   Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:03 am

I see that St Mary's and BOB had a close game. Thoughts?
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: New Rankings-Boys   Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:55 am

St Mary's in underrated. They'll move up. The question is who do they knock out.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
tyronnebaxter

PostSubject: Re: New Rankings-Boys   Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:05 pm

Back to the Emmett Cook discussion. I do not understand all this hype about him. He has apparently been in this "slump" for a while. If he is such an amazing player like everyone is saying then he should be dominating and his team should not be losing to teams such as St. Francis
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: New Rankings-Boys   Thu Feb 07, 2013 7:03 pm

Mr Baxter

You might want to let that go. If you want his scholarship, maybe he'll play you for it. Its possible you can even get Dan to ref.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
No one

PostSubject: Re: New Rankings-Boys   Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:59 pm

Yeah, although I do not believe that Cook is the "elite" player that many have portrayed him as. He is still a very respectable player that any high school in Alberta would want on their team.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
localhoopfan

PostSubject: Re: New Rankings-Boys   Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:34 pm

Sticking to the original topic of Teams/rankings.....some action from yesterday in Calgary at the Western Canada High tourney:

LCI 84 Riffle (Regina) 49
Western 74 Chestermere 70
St Mary's 103 Raymond 60
Gleneagle Secondary (Van) 77 Bishop McNally 71

Semis are in that order today.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New Rankings-Boys   Today at 3:16 pm

Back to top Go down

New Rankings-Boys
View previous topic View next topic Back to top