HoopLife Forums

The opportunity to talk about issues affecting Canadian basketball from coast-to-coast

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

24th Annual Legal Beagle Draw

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
JLivingston

PostSubject: Re: 24th Annual Legal Beagle Draw   Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:17 pm

Against Sardis, never seen such a low gamemanship from Fox players. Jerseys of sardis players always pulled, nasty elbows, pinching under the basket in a melee, kneeing. Ask any players of past few years who played against Fox in private and they will confide it. It is high time the referees notices them and calls them.

Last edited by JLivingston on Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
fullcourtpress90

PostSubject: Re: 24th Annual Legal Beagle Draw   Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:39 pm

Magic, people are entitled to their opinions/views, but why the slight against Drive? This has nothing to do with AAU. This is about the HS programs and players. You're correct WG can be beaten and I'm sure as a team they are cognizant of that and so they know what effort and game they have to bring to the floor every night. They've played a tough schedule and beaten almost every good team by 15 or more so far. Every team has 2-4 top players who usually have the strong impact in the games. The other players have roles and understand their place on the team. WG has more then the three you speak of. The issue with WR is they have some solid starters but little depth. How will that play out come March we'll see, but an area I'm sure their concerned with. I went to the WR vs Kits game and could see they got wore down in 2nd half with Luka on the bench for a large part of the game. With your same rationale I'll reciprocate and say Tyus wants no part of Cohee. Tyus is a nice player who plays with excellent intensity. Like Cohee he has some flaws in his game, but he has nowhere near the upside of Cohee, but I'm sure he'll have plenty of opportunity to develop when he plays for his father next year at TWU.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MagicMan

PostSubject: Re: 24th Annual Legal Beagle Draw   Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:10 pm

I disagree about amount of upside with Cohee. He lacks quickness, and you can't play the 1 or 2 in Div 1 without it. To suggest that he could play with the guys from Findlay Prep, if you watched the game, shows my point. The Findlay Prep coach was asked his thoughts about Jadon after the game and I'm sure he is not going to diss the local player. Jadon is a good player who may have an opportunity at a low tier Div 1 school (Portland or Hawaii) or a CIS program. Most important is that I hear he is a great teammate, person and leader so there are intangibles I don't know about. But, he will not be an impact player at NCAA Div 1,as he just lacsk quickness for that level.

I'm not putting the hate on Drive, actually quite the opposite as they have a great program that is masterful at marketing itself through social media. They get it. I follow one of the co-founders of Drive on twitter, and he does not comment on anyone in BC highschool basketball outside of Luka, Jadon, Tristan or Mindy. And when they do comment on these three, it is way over the top. Notice no mention of Kits loss to GE or Tristan's teams loss to Kelowna. Drive is gifted at the hype factor, and one of the main reasons they does so well (good on him and the kids who train there!). But he only talks about a very, very small group and ignores any other legitimate player or team unless that player has gone to Drive. They understand brand association. I've not heard him give any love to Joaquin from yale (better upside than Jadon) as Joaquin plays with Prov program. Personally, if he is going to become a voice of ball in BC, he needs to diversify.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
fullcourtpress90

PostSubject: Re: 24th Annual Legal Beagle Draw   Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:57 pm

Magic, it's obvious you dislike Drive and anyone associated to it as you've been critical of them in this thread and in the past. In fact Drive did mention about Mouat's loss to Kelowna. Understand they are a business. I don't see any other AAU clubs in BC or elsewhere promoting outside their players including All Ball and Athelite. Feel free to promote other players, but don't just focus on Drive as other reliable sources have commented highly on the Program and these players like Howard Tsumura, Basketball BC and Basketball Canada. To make a comparison against the #1 HS in US is pretty critical with a roster filled with 18 year old high major D1 players. I only wish well for all players and if they're fortunate to get a scholarship to any D1 school great for them, because it's a very tough to achieve. I don't know why people feel the need to criticize players in these threads. I hope all these kids make it whether south of the border, CIS or CCAA, because of their passion for the game. Kids and teams don't pay attention to some of the things said in these threads just keep working every day to get better and keep chasing your dreams! Go get it!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JLivingston

PostSubject: Re: 24th Annual Legal Beagle Draw   Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:19 am

Whiterock vs Grove - I think Wrca will take it by 8 pts. My reasoning is Grove depends way too much on their starters than whiterock. Altho warriors have a small bench they are used liberally to give breather to their starters. Whereas Grove coaches just wear down their starters whatever the score is. Is it they don't have a bench strength or just a sheer zeal to make statements. This is going to cost them in march IMO.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
vancouverbasketball

PostSubject: Re: 24th Annual Legal Beagle Draw   Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:20 am

When it comes to what the fans say to the opposing team, nothing the Fox fans said or did was over the top. Its a very competitive game and their fans were just very excited. Players love atmospheres like that and i believe that as long as fans dont bring the personal lives of the individual players into a chant, then anything is fine. Look at games in Ontario or or in the States, fans go crazy. I have been to VC vs Saints games and other games and i can tell you that players love playing in games like that
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JesusShuttlesworth

PostSubject: Re: 24th Annual Legal Beagle Draw   Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:43 am

FRIDAY JANUARY 11TH

Game 5: 3:15 PM, Pitt Meadows 59 vs. Kitsilano 69
POG Sebastian Marshall Pitt
Game 6: 5:00 PM, Sardis 62 vs. Van College 60
POG Eric Rogers Sardis
Game 7: 6:45 PM, WRCA 85 vs. Gleneagle 59
POG Tyus Allen WRCA
Game 8: 8:30 PM, Terry Fox 41 vs. Walnut Grove 74

SATURDAY JANUARY 12TH

Game 9: 7th Place Game, 2:00 PM, Pitt Meadows vs Van College
Game 10: 5th Place Game, 3:30 PM, Kitsilano vs. Sardis
Game 11: 3rd Place Game, 5:15 PM, Gleneagle vs Terry Fox
Game 12: Championship Game, 7:00 PM, WRCA vs. Walnut Grove
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JLivingston

PostSubject: Re: 24th Annual Legal Beagle Draw   Sat Jan 12, 2013 12:29 pm

Game 9: 7th Place Game, 2:00 PM, Pitt Meadows vs Van College by 10
Game 10: 5th Place Game, 3:30 PM, Kitsilano by 15 vs. Sardis
Game 11: 3rd Place Game, 5:15 PM, Gleneagle by 15 vs Terry Fox
Game 12: Championship Game, 7:00 PM, WRCA by 8 vs. Walnut Grove - reasons were in my previous post.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MagicMan

PostSubject: Re: 24th Annual Legal Beagle Draw   Sat Jan 12, 2013 1:06 pm

I watched all four games at the Beagle yesterday. This will be a key weekend for Kits and how they respond to a mediocre performance. After losing to GE, they just squeeked past an unranked Pitt team (tied up with 2 min to go). In past years, Kits has been known for internal turmoil and finger pointing that has negatively impacted their teams. Monday night game against Walnut Grove will be very important for a team with a past reputation as fragile in the psyche department.

I like WG over White Rock tonight. It is the first time they have played each other in a few years. White Rock is battling injuries as one of there key starters did not play last night at all against Gleneagle, who were missing 2 starters due to issues at school. For wrca to be successful they need all of their players. WG looked very confident and determined last night in a hostile environment playing the home team at FOX. Although this FOX team does not have a lot of offensive firepower, the WG 1-3-1 zone looked very good and limited Fox opportunities.

Looking forward to a great game tonight (3 vs 4). WG by 10 .

Back to top Go down
View user profile
JesusShuttlesworth

PostSubject: Re: 24th Annual Legal Beagle Draw   Sun Jan 13, 2013 12:20 am

7th Place Game
Pitt Meadows 80 vs Van College 51

5th Place Game
Kitsilano 78 vs. Sardis 76

3rd Place Game
Gleneagle 64 vs Terry Fox 68

Championship Game
WRCA 86 vs. Walnut Grove 80 OT2
Went to Double OT!! A hell of a battle between two great teams.
Epic final. Great games all around at the Beagle this year, upsets, close finishes a little of everything. Thanks to the organizers for a great event til next yr.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
JrCoachS

PostSubject: Re: 24th Annual Legal Beagle Draw   Sun Jan 13, 2013 1:14 am

Tyus Allen MVP
Sam Shin Defensive POT

1st All Stars
Tyus Allen
Vartan WRCA
Jadon WG
Getz WG
Jom Reyes Fox

2nd Team
Luka Kits
Eric Rogers Sardis
Denver Gleneagle
Sam WG
Josh Mayorga WG
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MagicMan

PostSubject: Re: 24th Annual Legal Beagle Draw   Sun Jan 13, 2013 2:16 am

WOW, even when White Rock wins they don't get any respect. WRCA gets 2 all-stars, Walnut Grove gets 4. Now that is hype.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JesusShuttlesworth

PostSubject: Re: 24th Annual Legal Beagle Draw   Sun Jan 13, 2013 2:19 am

MagicMan wrote:
WOW, even when White Rock wins they don't get any respect. WRCA gets 2 all-stars, Walnut Grove gets 4. Now that is hype.

LoL.. I was just thinking the same thing!
Grove with 4 All-Stars, I might've added Seb Marshall from Pitt as a 2nd Team, but that's just me.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JLivingston

PostSubject: Re: 24th Annual Legal Beagle Draw   Sun Jan 13, 2013 2:37 am

JLivingston wrote:

Game 12: Championship Game, 7:00 PM, WRCA by 8 vs. Walnut Grove - reasons were in my previous post.

I clearly called this right. The reason is WG dont have bench. Their team is designed to either blow opponents or lose by 5. Remember last year FV semi and provincials final. if opponents just hang in, they can be beaten. If WG coaches has no different game plan, then the road lies ahead is going to be bumpy. Just throttle Jadon and force him to take bad shots and he will keep taking them all the way and you can win.

Whiterock is so disciplined and less turnover prone. Never misses a ft and perfect execution. Now that they lost twice to kits, this will make them even more better. They are shaping up so well. Their coaches chartered a master long term plan to take the banner knowing very well their short bench.

Wake up call for all coaches, if not you will be badly outcoached in March by Whiterock coaches.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MagicMan

PostSubject: Re: 24th Annual Legal Beagle Draw   Sun Jan 13, 2013 2:49 am

JLivingston, what are you smoking? I usually enjoy reading your posts.

White Rock played a great game tonight, but so did WG. March is a long way off. A double OT win or loss means it could have went either way. I thought Sam Ykema played excellent defensively in a one on one battle against Jadon Cohee, forcing him off balance on many shots. Jadon will rebound back, as tonight he did not get the rolls off the basket going his way. He finished with 12 and for WG to beat the top teams, their top player has to be the top player.

A good win for White Rock but their coaches are very smart and know there is a long way to go.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JLivingston

PostSubject: Re: 24th Annual Legal Beagle Draw   Sun Jan 13, 2013 3:14 am

MagicMan wrote:
JLivingston, what are you smoking? I usually enjoy reading your posts.

White Rock played a great game tonight, but so did WG. March is a long way off. A double OT win or loss means it could have went either way. I thought Sam Ykema played excellent defensively in a one on one battle against Jadon Cohee, forcing him off balance on many shots. Jadon will rebound back, as tonight he did not get the rolls off the basket going his way. He finished with 12 and for WG to beat the top teams, their top player has to be the top player.

A good win for White Rock but their coaches are very smart and know there is a long way to go.

Magicman, am I wrong to insinuate that WG got outcoached? What do you do when you start hot and lead by 11. Keep up the same intensity, right. How come you got cold? Not on your own but by the defensive adjustments made by whiterock. But the bottom-line today is Jadon got outplayed by Sam and if not for the other WG 's Sam, the result would have been blown out. Whiterock will be ready for Sam next time too. Whatever it is, both team just played great.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
charliebrown

PostSubject: Re: 24th Annual Legal Beagle Draw   Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:00 am

Livingston you're excited about the win, but its not time to pop the champagne. WRCA is a good team, but there not yet heads and shoulders above the other top teams. They've lost 3 games including twice to Kits and won in double o/t to Walnut. I'm sure Grove will make adjustments for there next match-up as I heard they shot poorly from foul line and field.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fox2030

PostSubject: Re: 24th Annual Legal Beagle Draw   Sun Jan 13, 2013 12:56 pm

This was a great final. This may be the confidence boost that WRCA needs to get to the next level. I still don't think they are playing to their full potential. Anytime Kits, WRCA WG play this season it should be a great game. JLiv, your insight is often underappreciated I think you are bang on.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JLivingston

PostSubject: Re: 24th Annual Legal Beagle Draw   Sun Jan 13, 2013 1:52 pm

Fox2030 wrote:
JLiv, your insight is often underappreciated I think you are bang on.

Much appreciated man. I don't have any leanings towards any team just pure lover of hs ball going from gym to gym to see kids leaving everything on the floor for W. I don't like hype. Make no mistake, this grove team is loaded with talent. I know prettywell they will come back fixing but I was just shocked at for failing to stir things up. Look at fox, mouat, Pitt and many others, they all have different game plan when their primary plan doesnt work. Whereas grove just cant react. I know I am going to get torn by those close to grove. But fact is fact. If this team can't win the banner, it is clearly on the coaches.

I got excited when Wrca unravelled 1-3-1, countless second chances, no free look, never let jadon to execute any plays, forced him to off balance shots. Wrca created total mismatch nightmare for grove. Myorga looked out of place whole game due to mismatch and most of the time due to mismatches grove studs were forced to chase shadows. But in spite of all these, grove boys took the game to 2 ots, is all due to their basketball talent. Want to give credit where it is due. Also I can go on record that next monday or tuesday, Grove will win over Kits for sure by 10 minimum again due to matchups.

If any team wants to beat grove, just take leaf from the playbook of Wrca coaches.

I am also not a great fan of Yale who just love to yap without playing top teams.

At this moment, IMO the promising teams are kits, Wrca, grove and Tammy. It's just my two cents. Please do not tear me here but go back to drawing board and prove me wrong. I just want to see teams improving.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
baller2sk

PostSubject: Re: 24th Annual Legal Beagle Draw   Sun Jan 13, 2013 2:40 pm

JLivingston wrote:
Fox2030 wrote:
JLiv, your insight is often underappreciated I think you are bang on.

Much appreciated man. I don't have any leanings towards any team just pure lover of hs ball going from gym to gym to see kids leaving everything on the floor for W. I don't like hype. Make no mistake, this grove team is loaded with talent. I know prettywell they will come back fixing but I was just shocked at for failing to stir things up. Look at fox, mouat, Pitt and many others, they all have different game plan when their primary plan doesnt work. Whereas grove just cant react. I know I am going to get torn by those close to grove. But fact is fact. If this team can't win the banner, it is clearly on the coaches.

I got excited when Wrca unravelled 1-3-1, countless second chances, no free look, never let jadon to execute any plays, forced him to off balance shots. Wrca created total mismatch nightmare for grove. Myorga looked out of place whole game due to mismatch and most of the time due to mismatches grove studs were forced to chase shadows. But in spite of all these, grove boys took the game to 2 ots, is all due to their basketball talent. Want to give credit where it is due. Also I can go on record that next monday or tuesday, Grove will win over Kits for sure by 10 minimum again due to matchups.

If any team wants to beat grove, just take leaf from the playbook of Wrca coaches.

I am also not a great fan of Yale who just love to yap without playing top teams.

At this moment, IMO the promising teams are kits, Wrca, grove and Tammy. It's just my two cents. Please do not tear me here but go back to drawing board and prove me wrong. I just want to see teams improving.

I wouldnt be a great fan of Yales either if my team (WRCA) lost to Yale the last two times we made it to the final. When WRCA lose in provincials and they will lose. Im sure you will disappear until next year and hope nobody quotes you.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Geddy

PostSubject: Re: 24th Annual Legal Beagle Draw   Sun Jan 13, 2013 2:54 pm

I agree with the feeling on the Board regarding Yale. They have 1 good player and who really knows how old he is (Joaquin). Predict they finish 5th in Valleys. There team last year was not that good and they basically have the same team (similar to White Rock). I recall white Rock dominating Yale in FV playoffs last year enroute to there 3rd place finish at Provincials. I think Yale finished 15th last year. Walnut Grove would beat Yale by 15.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
charliebrown

PostSubject: Re: 24th Annual Legal Beagle Draw   Sun Jan 13, 2013 3:01 pm

Livingston great that you are a lover of the game and have no loyalty to one team, but either do I. I like you follow and know the game, but to criticize the WG coaching staff. Bergen is well thought of by his peer group and he's gotten the most out of his teams. He consistently got them to championship games last year and is doing same this year. They got to 1 last second shot of winning it all in 2012. They've played Fox, Mouat and Pitt this year and beat them handily. Did you blame Goulet, Hanson, then? Coaches coach and players play. You put in systems, but players have to play defense, rebound, take care of the ball, hit shots and foul shots, the coaches aren't on the floor. White Rock did that better than Grove yesterday. In the game I watched against Kits it went back and forth and according to Howard Tsumura yesterday's game went back and forth, so in game adjustments were made. WRCA pulled it out in the end. What would have been your opinion had WG pulled it out. Crown WR if you want but dont blame WG because Howard gave them a pre-season #1 as you refer to the hype. Here's my insight both these teams will be in a dogfight all year and each of them has a great chance of winning it all.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
baller2sk

PostSubject: Re: 24th Annual Legal Beagle Draw   Sun Jan 13, 2013 3:16 pm

Geddy wrote:
I agree with the feeling on the Board regarding Yale. They have 1 good player and who really knows how old he is (Joaquin). Predict they finish 5th in Valleys. There team last year was not that good and they basically have the same team (similar to White Rock). I recall white Rock dominating Yale in FV playoffs last year enroute to there 3rd place finish at Provincials. I think Yale finished 15th last year. Walnut Grove would beat Yale by 15.
Wow its pretty funny when people stoop to such lengths as to question the age of a 15 year old kid. If weve learned anything from the kelowna guard situation is you can run but you cant hide. Yale are not the team they were last year the same players but a year older, wiser and stronger. Its weird how that works hey actually getting into the gym and working on your game it dones wonders.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JLivingston

PostSubject: Re: 24th Annual Legal Beagle Draw   Sun Jan 13, 2013 4:42 pm

charliebrown wrote:
Livingston great that you are a lover of the game and have no loyalty to one team, but either do I. I like you follow and know the game, but to criticize the WG coaching staff. Bergen is well thought of by his peer group and he's gotten the most out of his teams. He consistently got them to championship games last year and is doing same this year. They got to 1 last second shot of winning it all in 2012. They've played Fox, Mouat and Pitt this year and beat them handily. Did you blame Goulet, Hanson, then? Coaches coach and players play. You put in systems, but players have to play defense, rebound, take care of the ball, hit shots and foul shots, the coaches aren't on the floor. White Rock did that better than Grove yesterday. In the game I watched against Kits it went back and forth and according to Howard Tsumura yesterday's game went back and forth, so in game adjustments were made. WRCA pulled it out in the end. What would have been your opinion had WG pulled it out. Crown WR if you want but dont blame WG because Howard gave them a pre-season #1 as you refer to the hype. Here's my insight both these teams will be in a dogfight all year and each of them has a great chance of winning it all.

I am crowning both teams. My point is lack of in-game adjustments by grove to fix the mismatch. No knock on the past laurels. Talking about this game only strictly.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JLivingston

PostSubject: Re: 24th Annual Legal Beagle Draw   Sun Jan 13, 2013 8:31 pm

baller2sk wrote:
Geddy wrote:
Wow its pretty funny when people stoop to such lengths as to question the age of a 15 year old kid. If weve learned anything from the kelowna guard situation is you can run but you cant hide. Yale are not the team they were last year the same players but a year older, wiser and stronger. Its weird how that works hey actually getting into the gym and working on your game it dones wonders.

Hey baller2sk, being a father of Joaquin, we understand you are so sensitive to age controversy surrounding your son. But why do you drag Kelowna kid into your post whose defense is well explained in The province.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 24th Annual Legal Beagle Draw   Today at 12:42 am

Back to top Go down

24th Annual Legal Beagle Draw
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next