HoopLife Forums

The opportunity to talk about issues affecting Canadian basketball from coast-to-coast

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Work to Rule question

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Coach McLean

PostSubject: Work to Rule question   Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:57 am

I heard a rumor that the other boards unions may look at refusing to play public board teams as a show of solidarity? Is this true?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
baller29

PostSubject: Re: Work to Rule question   Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:28 pm

Stop spreading rumours i see you on here alot.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
coachc

PostSubject: Re: Work to Rule question   Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:29 pm

funny. the person asks a question and you call it spreading rumours??? then you get upset that he is on here a lot??

as to the original question, I heard a similar rumour before the break but I have not heard anything since so I assumed that they decided not to go through with this. Perhaps someone coaching a catholic team could address this?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CoachFin

PostSubject: OECTA asked members to respect OSSTF   Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:11 pm

Hey Guys,

Here is a quote from the OECTA website concerning how OECTA sports teams should respond to an OSSTF Work to Rule:
OECTA members volunteering for extra-curricular activities are asked to respect the job action of the other affiliates. Where participation in extra-curricular activities has been withdrawn by public school teachers, members should not engage in activities with teams from these public schools even if alternate adult supervision has been arranged.

Here's the link to the full article:
http://www.oecta.on.ca/wps/portal/!ut/p/c0/04_SB8K8xLLM9MSSzPy8xBz9CP0os3jDIBNLI2cfIwODEDMDA6MAJ8NASyNLIMtQvyDbUREAni2q2Q!!/?WCM_GLOBAL_CONTEXT=/wps/wcm/connect/Web%20Content/oecta/oecta+default/homepage+dec+strike

To be honest, I'm not sure how consistently this "directive" is being applied around the province. I can't confirm this, but it's my understanding that OSSTF's leadership in Ottawa was contacted by OECTA to confirm how this issue was to be handled. I assume the result was OSSTF asked OECTA in Ottawa to ignore the directive and to go ahead and play? (Maybe someone "in the know" can comment on this?)

In our region (EOSSAA), just outside of Ottawa, I believe that most OECTA teams are not playing OSSTF teams as a result of the OECTA directive. It's my understanding that the OSSTF leadership in our area had the opposite reaction to Ottawa when they were asked about the directive - in other words, OECTA was asked not to play non-teacher led OSSTF teams. I'm not sure how the government's latest move to impose contracts has changed this situation? We'll see what happens this week when the OSSTF officially responds to the latest situation.

This is certainly a mess.

coachc wrote:
funny. the person asks a question and you call it spreading rumours??? then you get upset that he is on here a lot??

as to the original question, I heard a similar rumour before the break but I have not heard anything since so I assumed that they decided not to go through with this. Perhaps someone coaching a catholic team could address this?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Coach McLean

PostSubject: Re: Work to Rule question   Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:02 pm

Thanks CoachC and Coach Fin!
So I am not crazy that I heard this.

CoachC do you think this would be something that school in NCSSAA may follow?
CoachFin has this had an impact in your region yet?

Any Catholic board coaches out there know what's going on in Ottawa?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
coachc

PostSubject: Re: Work to Rule question   Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:44 pm

I dont think that this is really something that our association is following right now as I have yet to see any team refuse to play another this year. There are several public school teams signed up to play in the St. Joes (catholic) tournament starting on Thursday and I have not heard anything about any team refusing to play another. It will be interesting to see what comes out of the meetings this week for OSSTF, but I am not betting that anything gets any better any time soon so things will get interesting for sure.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CoachFin

PostSubject: Update   Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:31 pm

I've received quite a few PM's asking for updates:

Just a quick update on this issue. Since the OSSTF teachers (public high schools) had a contract imposed on them by the government recently, officially their union isn't allowed to remove extracurriculars as a negotiation tool. (This is because in the eyes of the labour board, negotiations have ceased and the OSSTF is not in a legal strike position anymore.) This doesn't mean that coaches can't refuse to volunteer on an individual basis - no one can be forced to volunteer as it is not part of the contract. Each coach is still allowed to decide what is to be done next. That being said, I think we can read between the lines that the OSSTF leadership would prefer their teachers not to volunteer at this time, as a continuing protest against the unfairness of BILL 115 - but the union leadership is being careful with their choice of words in official memos and in the media. (Again, if someone is more versed on this issue, particularly the legal side of things, feel free to correct my assumptions).

In response to this latest development, OECTA (the Catholic Schools union), have informed their membership that there is now no offical OECTA directive for members not to play against non-teacher led teams for public schools - because officially the OSSTF is now not engaged in a work to rule or union-led protest at this time. (Technically speaking of course.) OECTA has asked each local OECTA union leader to contact the local OSSTF leader and ask for direction in how to go forward with the non-teacher coach issue. Presumably, at this point, there will be no clear response on this though - to avoid the possible legal punishments for organizing a group response. OECTA Members have been cautioned that a cohesive group OECTA response (such as continuing to refuse to play against non-teacher led public high school teams) could be considered illegal and punishable. Of course, like the OSSTF teachers, each individual OECTA teacher has the right to decide whether it's appropriate to support their OSSTF counterparts, and how to do this on a case by case basis. Here is a direct quote from OECTA website's recent memo on extracurriculars:

"Whenever these circumstances occur, it is important for teaching colleagues to consider seriously whether, as individuals, to support their colleagues in another teacher affiliate."

In my opinion, the situation is now even more of a mess than before. Individual teachers are being asked to respond to the contentious volunteer situation, with much unofficial heavy pressure being applied from multiple different directions. It's not easy being a coach in this climate. Very difficult situation right now.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Work to Rule question   Today at 5:27 am

Back to top Go down

Work to Rule question
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1